Belichick getting haunted by bad GM'ing again

Webster Guy

I called this from the beginning and it's looking more and more like the GENIUS screwed up another big trade, possibly as awful as the Seymour trade was. (or beautiful if you're a Bills fan)

The Pats traded away Chandler Jones and got a guard (Cooper) and a 2nd round pick from Zona. They traded that pick down into a pair of picks where they selected guard Joe Thuney and WR Malcolm Mitchell.

Cooper turned out to be a bust, and Malcolm Mitchell contributed a little last year but can't stay healthy and never even saw the field this year. Thuney is a decent guard by most accounts, ranked average by PFF but that's essentially all they got from the trade.

Meanwhile Chandler is ripping it up again this year. 8 sacks already this season and one of the elites at his position. The Patriots defense is awful, and just got worse with Hightower out for the season. To make matters worse, the GENIUS guaranteed $40M to dopey Gilmore, whose cap hit is similar to what the Cards are paying for Jones in his new deal. (Gilmore cap hit $9M this year, then $12M and $14M in year three. And his dead money will be heavy if they dump him. Jones is around $10M cap hit annually)

Even without my Patriots Hating Bias, Belichick may be a good coach--as evidenced by his awesome #32 ranked defense this year, and the offensive mastery he showed last year at home without Brady scoring that whopping ZERO points against our mediocre defense), but he sure sucks as a GM.

Hey.... at least he has a pleasant, engaging personality and sense of humor.......

I called this from the beginning and it's looking more and more like the GENIUS screwed up another big trade, possibly as awful as the Seymour trade was. (or beautiful if you're a Bills fan)

The Pats traded away Chandler Jones and got a guard (Cooper) and a 2nd round pick from Zona. They traded that pick down into a pair of picks where they selected guard Joe Thuney and WR Malcolm Mitchell.

Cooper turned out to be a bust, and Malcolm Mitchell contributed a little last year but can't stay healthy and never even saw the field this year. Thuney is a decent guard by most accounts, ranked average by PFF but that's essentially all they got from the trade.

Meanwhile Chandler is ripping it up again this year. 8 sacks already this season and one of the elites at his position. The Patriots defense is awful, and just got worse with Hightower out for the season. To make matters worse, the GENIUS guaranteed $40M to dopey Gilmore, whose cap hit is similar to what the Cards are paying for Jones in his new deal. (Gilmore cap hit $9M this year, then $12M and $14M in year three. And his dead money will be heavy if they dump him. Jones is around $10M cap hit annually)

Even without my Patriots Hating Bias, Belichick may be a good coach--as evidenced by his awesome #32 ranked defense this year, and the offensive mastery he showed last year at home without Brady scoring that whopping ZERO points against our mediocre defense), but he sure sucks as a GM.

Hey.... at least he has a pleasant, engaging personality and sense of humor.......

My take is once a cheater, always a cheater. I'm sure Billy got a stern lecture from Roger G. not to pull any funny stuff anymore. And I think for the most part they stick to that promise....except when they need a little help. :rolleyes:

All true, but I still would not bet against them going back to the Super Bowl again. Their defense is looking better every week, without Gilmore.

....he probably did and perhaps we're thinking BB is perfect in everything under his HC/GM hat.......but I haven't seen his FIVE rings up for auction or surrender just yet.........maybe he should resign from Pats and return to Cleveland to "help" the Brownies .......would certainly satisfy the naysayers who say BB would be "nothing without Brady"....oh joy...................

Not really sure how you-me-we can be accusing Bellichick of "bad GM-ing" when he is coming off a Super Bowl victory and is tied for the best record in football now even with a bunch of injuries. And yes, I know who his quarterback is. And I truly hate the guy.

Seriously. Who wants to put $$ against the Pats being in the AFC title game?

....he probably did and perhaps we're thinking BB is perfect in everything under his HC/GM hat.......but I haven't seen his FIVE rings up for auction or surrender just yet.........maybe he should resign from Pats and return to Cleveland to "help" the Brownies .......would certainly satisfy the naysayers who say BB would be "nothing without Brady"....oh joy...................

It's almost as if people forget they won 2 of the last 3 SBs...and are in 1st place yet again.....I would love for our staff " sucked " like him....

Pats defense may be bad but they're still 5-2. If recall correctly, the Pats defense wasnt all that great the year [they beat] the Seahawks BEAT THEMSELVES in the superbowl

Fixed it for ya!

Edited by aceman_16

Know what happens to GMs who suck? They lose a lot games. An awful lot.

Belichick is a damn good GM. Unfortunately. Having said that, he makes mistakes like anyone else, and so far that trade you mention appears to be one, but it's hard to say that when the year they made it they won the Lombardi.

And their defense was coming together the past couple of weeks. Awful early on, they've improved, which is the M.O. of the Pats when they start awful. Unfortunately.

Also worth noting that Pats defenses are generally bend but don't break models, which means they don't end up high in yards-based rankings.

It'll be interesting to see how they manage after this injury. It does appear to be a big problem for them.

Noone is claiming that the Patriots have better Bills players than the Bills do anymore that's for sure.

Um.

Its glorious isnt it? Bills being called a farm team all the while Gilmore and Gillislee struggle.

Hunh? They've been very happy with Gillislee.

We'll see about Gimore when he gets back.

Edited by Thurman#1

Not really sure how you-me-we can be accusing Bellichick of "bad GM-ing" when he is coming off a Super Bowl victory and is tied for the best record in football now even with a bunch of injuries. And yes, I know who his quarterback is. And I truly hate the guy.

I think this is the most sensible comment ITT.

Exactly how I feel.

What's haunting him, exactly? Which moves are he ruing?

I don't think the Patriots have drafted very well absent Brady and I think that's what is catching up to them, especially on defense.

Their defense is slow and average and Brady is the only thing saving them now. (They score 28 points a game, give up 26).

I don't think the Patriots have drafted very well absent Brady and I think that's what is catching up to them, especially on defense.

Their defense is slow and average and Brady is the only thing saving them now. (They score 28 points a game, give up 26).

Last 3 games, they've given up 14, 17 and 7. All indications are that they've addressed the early season defensive woes.

I won't believe anything is catching up to them until they fail to win the division.

I think the notion that BB doesn't draft well is a bit overblown...does he miss on some picks, absolutely...but you could run a list of good to great picks since he's been running the show in NE....Brady is great, probably the GOAT, but BB has built some great teams around him...you don't have the success they've had without great players...

Gms have to make tough decisions. No way B B could pay Jones, Hightower , Collins etc all the money they got from other teams!

Even with their numbers, how have they really effected their season records. Because of the Cardinals spending on Jones, it cost then a number of players, they wanted to retain but could not. Collins is leading the Browns to last place.. Gilmore may or may not work out but he has been injured.

Last 3 games, they've given up 14, 17 and 7. All indications are that they've addressed the early season defensive woes.

I won't believe anything is catching up to them until they fail to win the division.

Bucs 14 missed 3 FG's and the upset

JETS 17

Falcons 7 in a fog / smoke filled stadium

Hightower was also out when the d was "bad" and now is gone again. :D

the vaunted Pats averaged 22 ppg in those 3.

Sorry its hard to defend them at all. when I do it makes me want to :sick:

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Gms have to make tough decisions. No way B B could pay Jones, Hightower , Collins etc all the money they got from other teams!

Even with their numbers, how have they really effected their season records. Because of the Cardinals spending on Jones, it cost then a number of players, they wanted to retain but could not. Collins is leading the Browns to last place.. Gilmore may or may not work out but he has been injured.

Correct. It makes sense to criticize him for giving Gilmore a big contract. But Chandler Jones was shipped out because BB thought he was replaceable immediately (he was proven right) and because he was going into free agency. Sometimes trading a guy you're not interesting in re-signing to a huge contract is the best move. In fact, sometimes it's the best move even if you would be interested in re-signing him.

Know what happens to GMs who suck? They lose a lot games. An awful lot.

Belichick is a damn good GM. Unfortunately. Having said that, he makes mistakes like anyone else, and so far that trade you mention appears to be one, but it's hard to say that when the year they made it they won the Lombardi.

And their defense was coming together the past couple of weeks. Awful early on, they've improved, which is the M.O. of the Pats when they start awful. Unfortunately.

Also worth noting that Pats defenses are generally bend but don't break models, which means they don't end up high in yards-based rankings.

It'll be interesting to see how they manage after this injury. It does appear to be a big problem for them.

Um.

Hunh? They've been very happy with Gillislee.

We'll see about Gimore when he gets back.

Really? Guess youve been watching a different game than I have. Dion Lewis has been getting more and more of the work load each week. Gillislee fumbled against the jets and didnt see meaningful time after that. Edited by Captain Murica

Really? Guess youve been watching a different game than I have. Dion Lewis has been getting more and more of the work load each week. Gillislee fumbled against the jets and didnt see meaningful time after that.

probably just too busy on the sidelines modeling for his HOF bust to get into the game more. Plus NE fans would get upset if the true GOAT player was out there out playing Brady ( or they are being nice to the rest of the league and not wanting to show off their embarrassment of riches having 2 GOATs)

Correct. It makes sense to criticize him for giving Gilmore a big contract. But Chandler Jones was shipped out because BB thought he was replaceable immediately (he was proven right) and because he was going into free agency. Sometimes trading a guy you're not interesting in re-signing to a huge contract is the best move. In fact, sometimes it's the best move even if you would be interested in re-signing him.

He wasnt proven right, thats my point. Chandler was the guy to keep, I watch Zona every week he's flat out dominant right now. They have nobody like him and it will eventually cost them the season.

Its glorious isnt it? Bills being called a farm team all the while Gilmore and Gillislee struggle.

I LOVE IT!!! Yep, I'd take White and Shady over those two any day. And we can pick up a backup RB. Gillislee is not a season-long starter. Great change-of pace and backup.

He wasnt proven right, thats my point. Chandler was the guy to keep, I watch Zona every week he's flat out dominant right now. They have nobody like him and it will eventually cost them the season.

I would have loved Chandler. He flat-out dominated at Syracuse.

The Gilmore deal was certainly baffling but Belichek has still made a lot of shrewd moves in recent years and isn't afraid to admit to a mistake (i.e. dumping Kony Ealy).

At the end of the day though they are still in firm control of the division and probably finishing no worse than 12-4 this year so something must be going right for the Pats.

Here's how I see this thread going with the two camps typically on this board:

Non-homer: Belichick has 7 SB rings and his run with the Patriots is very impressive regardless of who you root for.

Homer: Yeah, but he lucked into getting Brady and cheated to win the Super Bowls.

Non-homer: He's a great coach and has made numerous solid personnel moves before this off-season.

Homer: Yeah, but he lucked into getting Brady and cheated to win the Super Bowls.

Non-homer: He won the Super Bowl last year and in 2014.