Crucial non-call

Coach55

I am not one to blame the refs for losses as there are always calls that go either way, but there was a crucial non-call on the final drive which really irritated me. On a 2nd and 8 with about 90 seconds left, Taylor hit McCoy with a 7 yard pass that set up a 3rd and 1 at the Panthers 41. On the tackle, there was a blatant face-mask which was not called. (McCoy's head was practically ripped off). This non-call was huge in 2 ways. First, we should have had the ball 1st and 10 on the 26. Second the clock would've stopped on the defensive penalty leaving us with 1:22. Instead, the next play ticked off at 1:06. This gets called, this whole drive could've played out differently.

I am not one to blame the refs for losses as there are always calls that go either way, but there was a crucial non-call on the final drive which really irritated me. On a 2nd and 8 with about 90 seconds left, Taylor hit McCoy with a 7 yard pass that set up a 3rd and 1 at the Panthers 41. On the tackle, there was a blatant face-mask which was not called. (McCoy's head was practically ripped off). This non-call was huge in 2 ways. First, we should have had the ball 1st and 10 on the 26. Second the clock would've stopped on the defensive penalty leaving us with 1:22. Instead, the next play ticked off at 1:06. This gets called, this whole drive could've played out differently.

I thought same thing, but they never showed replay. I will be interested in watching the all-22.

true but it shouldn't have come down to 1 final drive. we scored 3 freaking points. you can't leave the game in the refs hands

but it often does and these plays make a big difference....and why shouldn't a game come down to a final drive? It's like saying it shouldn't come down to a FG but that's what happens

but it often does and these plays make a big difference....and why shouldn't a game come down to a final drive? It's like saying it shouldn't come down to a FG but that's what happens

in yesterday's game it shouldn't have. only scored 3 points and 170 yards total offense? we deserved to lose regardless of the refs missing a call and Zay not making the catch

The call that really sealed our fate was the Offensive Pass Interference, IMO under those game circumstances that cal is almost never made.

I hate blaming refs for bad calls BUT it is part of the game, nature of the beast.

And yes I wall agree with other it shouldn't have come down to that but that is the nature of parity and the NFL, if that call is not made I think we would have probably won, we were on a real role, it took too much time to get all that yardage back.

Because there were many, many opportunities on offense in which we should have capitalized. When your defense only allows 9 points, even a bad offensive performance should be enough. But yesterday wasn't bad, it was unacceptably putrid.

in yesterday's game it shouldn't have. only scored 3 points and 170 yards total offense? we deserved to lose regardless of the refs missing a call and Zay not making the catch

I disagree. Our defense deserved to win. And if it was that one call from the refs that we needed them to make to put us in position, or the one outstanding catch we needed, well, that's what we needed and it is the officials job to call a blatant face mask in open field, especially when they are calling iffy offensive pass interference calls on the same drive.

It was an obvious penalty, but no flag. And the PI was egregious.

I hate when poor officiating has such huge ramifications on wins and losses, but just like the Zay drop, these are just individual plays. They did not cause the Bills to lose, they just "helped". The Bills terrible offense, and poor 3rd down defense for 2 quarters is what caused the loss. Better results from either of those facets of the game, and we wouldn't have to worry about a missed call, or a bad call, or a dropped pass. Those plays become magnified in hindsight, only because the team was reliant on those individual plays at that point in order to win.

true but it shouldn't have come down to 1 final drive. we scored 3 freaking points. you can't leave the game in the refs hands

Yeah but going back to the Jacksonville game a couple years back in London when we were hosed by a phantom PI call we never should have allowed them to be that close in that one yet a lot of people complained. Don't turn the ball over on three straight drives and Jacksonville isn't even in the game.

It was an obvious penalty, but no flag. And the PI was egregious.

I hate when poor officiating has such huge ramifications on wins and losses, but just like the Zay drop, these are just individual plays. They did not cause the Bills to lose, they just "helped". The Bills terrible offense, and poor 3rd down defense for 2 quarters is what caused the loss. Better results from either of those facets of the game, and we wouldn't have to worry about a missed call, or a bad call, or a dropped pass. Those plays become magnified in hindsight, only because the team was reliant on those individual plays at that point in order to win.

The Zay drop.....I don't know how he got both hands on that ball. I'm impressed with the kid.

The offense sucked almost the entire game. You can blame it on anybody you want, but in my opinion it's time to put Tyrod to the bench and go with Peterman.

Please stop blaming the refs, it's worse than the excuses about how the NFL is out to get the Bills each scheduling us to play multiple teams coming off their bye weeks.

This pathetic organization has nobody to blame but themselves for 17+ straight years of trainwrecks and failures.

I don't see one person in here blaming the refs. But the refs missed a call that could have had a bearing on how this game turned out. Yes, the Bills stunk yesterday, so did the Panthers BTW. so the game did come to a last drive. This call was not made with the Bills down two scores and needing to recover an onside kick, or in the third quarter or even early in the 4th, it was on the last drive in one score and it dramatically changes the situation.

I don't see one person in here blaming the refs. But the refs missed a call that could have had a bearing on how this game turned out. Yes, the Bills stunk yesterday, so did the Panthers BTW. so the game did come to a last drive. This call was not made with the Bills down two scores and needing to recover an onside kick, or in the third quarter or even early in the 4th, it was on the last drive in one score and it dramatically changes the situation.

Was it a missed call that could have helped us? Absolutely - but don't make the mistake thinking that lost the game. We had a whole football game, up until that point, to make offensive progress and production. What was it, the first 7 drives of the game were 4 and out punts? 36 yds of total offense in the first half alone? This game wasn't lost on a missed facemask call. Our offense hadn't scored the whole day. What about being 1st and 10 from the 26 with 1:20 left to play inspired confidence?

You could also point at McD waiting to call that first timeout on the final drive, letting 26 seconds run off the clock prior to that play.

Point is this, the game was not lost on that missed call. Could it have put us in a position to win the game? Sure. But good teams put themselves in positions to win games. Our offense just didn't show up yesterday. Plain and simple. On to Denver.

Edited by ctk232

Was it a missed call that could have helped us? Absolutely - but don't make the mistake thinking that lost the game. We had a whole football game, up until that point, to make offensive progress and production. What was it, the first 7 drives of the game were 4 and out punts? 36 yds of total offense in the first half alone? This game wasn't lost on a missed facemask call. Our offense hadn't scored the whole day. What about being 1st and 10 from the 26 with 1:20 left to play inspired confidence?

You could also point at McD waiting to call that first timeout on the final drive, letting 26 seconds run off the clock prior to that play.

Point is this, the game was not lost on that missed call. Could it have put us in a position to win the game? Sure. But good teams put themselves in positions to win games. Our offense just didn't show up yesterday. Plain and simple. On to Denver.

Point is....there are a number of different plays that put you in a position to win or lose....Why can't we point them out?

Please stop blaming the refs, it's worse than the excuses about how the NFL is out to get the Bills each scheduling us to play multiple teams coming off their bye weeks.

This pathetic organization has nobody to blame but themselves for 17+ straight years of trainwrecks and failures.

It's not about blaming the refs for the loss. It's pointing out a terrible call and a terrible non-call by the refs that were key moments in the Bills final drive.

LeSean McCoy's facemask was clearly grabbed, and should have been called.

Andre Holmes' pass interference was a bogus call.

there's 2 of us on here.

Bills O played like total garbage, they deserve a public caning, not a moral victory.

Correct. They blew an easy call, and called a questionable one on Holmes which totally killed our momentum, both had and would have changed the game.. But I think Shady Taylor and Dennison bounce back, so does Vegas lol

I see no problem with wanting a consistently good product on the field from paid, professional officials. At the same time, I want to see a consistently good product on the field from the bills. the fact is--it sucks when you get consistently get neither. I thought the officiating was pretty good yesterday, thought the miss was fairly obvious and should have been called. I can understand them missing it, I guess, maybe Shady's head was turned away from the official, maybe a player blocked the view, maybe the official got his lasik surgery using the 'second eye free' coupon like doug did for carrie in "King of Queens". Obviously it can happen, but wanting a call to be made that should be made seems pretty basic to me.

the nfl reviews league officials..but fans shouldn't? In fact---I'm glad Coach McDermott suplexed that official earlier on, screw him.

The one constant of the last 20 years as the NFL has expanded has been a steady deterioration of officiating. Its only going to get worse. Replay should be able to correct the mistakes like yesterday but not the way the NFL does it. The PI call was crap. The obvious facemask and non call was mystifying because it was so blatant. When the refs are this clueless you need to have a coach's challenge on penalties. If McDermott could have thrown a challenge flag and had them review the non call, they would have had to give the Panthers a 15 penalty and we would have been sitting pretty at the 25 with a minute left. Instead we get shafted...yet again!!

Again, i and mpost of the people on here are not saying the call COST US THE GAME. We are saying a call was missed, and it had an impact on the last drive in a one score game. The Bills wee not down by 9, they were down by six.

Let's reverse things and say the refs said Zay caught the ball and he was down on 1, and the Bills score next play. Should the Panthers and their fans say "eh, should have been up by more than 6, refs did not cost them the game"

Because there were many, many opportunities on offense in which we should have capitalized. When your defense only allows 9 points, even a bad offensive performance should be enough. But yesterday wasn't bad, it was unacceptably putrid.

Teams win ugly a lot in the NFL though and a lot of games end in 1 or 2 plays. To the original posters point, it was a massive non call in the game. I am not saying the officials are the reason the bills lost, but it certainly does not help when you don't get a blatant non face mask call, followed by a questionable offensive P.I call. Those are 2 massive calls in a close ball game

I guess the Patriots didn't deserve that Super Bowl last year, being down 29-3 and all.

It's a 60 minute game. If the Panthers stuffed us for 59 minutes but let the Bills score at the end, they lose.

I guess the Patriots didn't deserve that Super Bowl last year, being down 29-3 and all.

It's a 60 minute game. If the Panthers stuffed us for 59 minutes but let the Bills score at the end, they lose.

Agreed 100 percent. It was a close game, and ya the Bills sucked offensively and only have themselves to blame for that.. But whoever says that non facemask call wasn't big in that game, is just being stubborn in my opinion