Rex Ryan MNF Lead-in

Did anyone pay attention to Rex Ryan's intro to the MNF game last night where he explained what he would say to motivate the players? I found it pretty remarkable that his entire rant was to encourage the players to "do if for the name on your back."

If he truly was preaching individual achievement and encouraging the players to play for themselves, and not the guy next to him, its no wonder players start to revolt when he gives them assignments they don't like (DLine "drop into coverage" etc).

It's in direct contrast to the Bills coming out Sunday unified as a team. It really said a lot to me about his approach to coaching and why he is great at attracting players, probably by stroking their egos and promising to let them be the star, but has been awful at creating a cohesive team. Really, why his team despite the talent, just couldn't perform.

These are things we all observed over the last few seasons, both in New Jersey and unfortunately recently in Buffalo, but I felt he completely explained himself in one lousy, awkward rant.

Just was wondering if anyone else picked up on this.

i agree with you. what puzzles me though is why what he did with the Jets worked for a short bit.. and why i bought into his BS when he was hired. his D with the Jets was decent.. obviously Sh##t here.. hard to figure..

Rex Grossman played in a SuperBowl once.

Consistency is the key differentiator in the NFL, Rex Ryan did not have that consistency.

Did anyone pay attention to Rex Ryan's intro to the MNF game last night where he explained what he would say to motivate the players? I found it pretty remarkable that his entire rant was to encourage the players to "do if for the name on your back."

If he truly was preaching individual achievement and encouraging the players to play for themselves, and not the guy next to him, its no wonder players start to revolt when he gives them assignments they don't like (DLine "drop into coverage" etc).

It's in direct contrast to the Bills coming out Sunday unified as a team. It really said a lot to me about his approach to coaching and why he is great at attracting players, probably by stroking their egos and promising to let them be the star, but has been awful at creating a cohesive team. Really, why his team despite the talent, just couldn't perform.

These are things we all observed over the last few seasons, both in New Jersey and unfortunately recently in Buffalo, but I felt he completely explained himself in one lousy, awkward rant.

....same useless hot air as his old man.......the Bears "46" and Ravens D put Buddy and Wrecks on the national "in demand stage"......and neither did squat thereafter.....Robby boy rode the coat tails......OBD 'taking the bait" could be in the top five of franchise gaffes since inception.....we lost TWO years.....

He came off like a stiff. Definitely went down on my 'person I'd like to have a beer with-o-rameter'.

If the drink throwing, Rob throat grab, Rex limbo-ing away YouTube video from the North Carolina mall bar wasn't enough to dispel the "Rex would be a cool guy to hang out with" nonsense, then I'd say your "beer with-o-rameter" is broken.

My favorite part was how he would motivate his players by talking about how much it meant to him as a coach....

Rex was an amazing DC. Decent HC when he wanted to work. Then he tossed it into cruise control and the results were what they were.

It's really amazing that as disorganized and lazy as he was that the team won 8 games then probably would have won 8 last year. Imagine if he actually tried

If the drink throwing, Rob throat grab, Rex limbo-ing away YouTube video from the North Carolina mall bar wasn't enough to dispel the "Rex would be a cool guy to hang out with" nonsense, then I'd say your "beer with-o-rameter" is broken.

No offense to decent third of the Carolinians, but I'd like to grab most in those states by the throat too.

Good idea! Beth's voice is painful to listen to, and Rex adds very little to the broadcast.

Rex ought to be sued for grand larceny (stealing $$$ from Bills).

I didn't watch the game, but every forum that I have visited today said Beth's voice was quiet and irritating. Too bad, I think she does ok with college hoops.

None of this team garbage is going to mean a thing if we get curb stomped by the Panthers.

Can we give it a break with this McDermott hype?

Was this meant to be in the Rex was a terrible coach thread? :huh: There's not a single mention of McDermott in the responses that I skimmed a second ago...

Every team does this; Wade had his DLine drop into coverage in Superbowl.

Every team does this; Wade had his DLine drop into coverage in Superbowl.

That wasn't the point though. It isn't to say other teams don't or they shouldn't do things like drop into coverage. The point is that if a player comes in, wants to rush the passer because the coach told me its all about "me" why should I have to drop into coverage and lower my sack or TFL numbers? As an example.

I picked up on it IMMEDIATELY.

What coach tells players to play for the name on the back of the jersey?

I'm no Yankees fan, but that's a team that has never had names on the back. And they also have 27 (I think) world championships.

Rex Ryan is such a dolt.

None of this team garbage is going to mean a thing if we get curb stomped by the Panthers.

Can we give it a break with this McDermott hype?

Sure. Let's all get mad and have zero excitement our rookie HC had his team dominate in their first game on O and D. Man, some of you guys are brutallllll

No offense to decent third of the Carolinians, but I'd like to grab most in those states by the throat too.

Huh? What does this even mean? You'd like to choke out 2/3 of people from North Carolina and some other of "those" states? How enlightened of you....

Edited by dubs

nothing like good ole fashioned team work there rex.

I admit I bought into his BS here as well, gave him a pass from NYJets as the GM was& organization were dysfunctional. I finally got over the snake oil salesman after the KC game with its multiple coaching fiascoes.

I was against him from the day he was announced. Just an exhibit of very bad judgment by the Pegulas.