Bills "can't wait to unleash Tyrod Taylor"

HappyDays

Yes - 24pts a game ranking 9th in the league in scoring is "viable": - Rex's issue is his defense that gave up 200yrd games rushing too easily - but ya lets blame the QB

I hate to do this.

EJ also scored 23.4 ppg with the same team.

Fwiw

Defense was a problem yes. Qbing was too.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're not fooling anyone.

Lots of smoke and mirrors behind Shady leading the way.

It may work for a brief period of time if the line can still run block like they have been, but team's don't respect TT as a passer, and that will be exposed...to what degree yet, we do not know, but best case we still have the same pitfalls late in games where TT is forced into being a guy he's not.

I'll be mildly amused watching TT finally being "unleashed", while actually cringing at the results that are sure to come.

Enjoy the season Bud !!

If he throws his typical 185 yards per game this Sunday, I won't be impressed. However, if he has say 285 yards and 2 or 3 tds, I'll have hope

how about they just win, by limiting mistakes? sound good?

It will be interesting to see if it pans out. I understand why Buffalo got rid of Sammy. It had nothing to do with Tyrod and nothing to do with any attitude issues with Sammy, who did everything asked of him, and wanted to win as much as anybody. Sammy was dealt because of the twin risks of the integrity of his foot and the impending expiration of his contract. The Bills didn't want to offer a big money deal to a WR whose foot might not let him earn it, and they were concerned that if Sammy did stay healthy signing him next offseason might be more difficult than they wanted to have to deal with. I also understand what Culley is talking about with Tyrod. The Bills know he has weaknesses, and wanted him to work in the preseason exclusively on alleviating those weaknesses instead of gravitating to his strengths. If it works, then during the regular season if Buffalo's opponent attempts to scheme away Tyrod's opportunity to move around and make plays with his feet, then in theory he won't be totally lost in the pocket. Unleashing him simply means he'll be free to move with the ball, to run or pass on the move as the situation and defense allows. I'm not suggesting the Bills are going to lead the league on offense, but if Culley is right, maybe the offense won't look as pathetic under Tyrod during the regular season as it did in the preseason. One can hope at least.

So points are what's important on offense (and somehow attributed to the QB), and on defense it's rushing yards?

How predictably convenient.

What is more important than scoring points? And yes the QB is important - did you see our offense in wk17 when no tyrod?

Especially when Sammy missed half the season and robert woods missed 3 games

Edited by jahbonas

Hope so. But why get rid of Watkins. His deep ball is one of the best in the NFL.

I can deal with losing Darby, Gilmore, Woods, TD Mike etc...but dealing a potentially dynamic young wr like Sammy still doesn't make sense. Even if you plan to move on from Tyrod, why deal Sammy when he could be a huge asset to a new pocket franchise QB?

Edited by LABILLBACKER

I can deal with losing Darby, Gilmore, Woods, TD Mike etc...but dealing a potentially dynamic young wr like Sammy still doesn't make sense. Even if you plan to move on from Tyrod, why deal Sammy when he could be a huge asset to a new pocket franchise QB?

They deal Sammy because they dont believe in allocating 13 million in cap to the WR position. They believe in def front 7 and in off lines

What is more important than scoring points? And yes the QB is important - did you see our offense in wk17 when no tyrod?

Especially when Sammy missed half the season and robert woods missed 3 games

How many points did the defense allow in 2016?

And color me shocked that an offense missing its RB and QB would look bad.

Enjoy the season Bud !!

how about they just win, by limiting mistakes? sound good?

How about they finally address drafting a Franchise QB in 2018 so we can start winning and competing on a consistent basis? I mean hell we are still running out a guy who is a career backup as a starter at the most important position in all of pro sports.

They deal Sammy because they dont believe in allocating 13 million in cap to the WR position. They believe in def front 7 and in off lines

But a RB is worth $11M?

I get that there is this perception out there that they traded him because they didn't want to pay a receiver...........but there really isn't anything solid to support that.

It's a safe assumption that they will pay a WR.........I think they just didn't want to deal with either Sammy's personality or the baggage regarding Sammy's perceived mishandling of his injury by the medical staff.

The latter situation which they may have compounded by not picking up his 5th year option.

A few people within the organization know..........and Terry Pegula knows..........and if Sammy is right and they messed up his healing process then you can see why he might be pissed that they then declined his option when all indications were that he was going to return to health.

The Chiefs only ran the ball 27 times (and that's including Smith's scrambles) versus having 35 pass attempts. We are not going to do that in any way shape or form, or we will lose every game we play.

Why? Aren't you one of the guys who said pretty consistently that Taylor is like Smith?

I'm bored with people who think they know what will happen with teams and players.

Who was predicting the Patriots would get stomped yesterday?

And I love the way that the entire narrative here during the preseason was how much Taylor would struggle in this offense simply because he was struggling with what we saw in preseason games. As Beane and now Culley have revealed, this is a much more complex issue regarding what offense we had Taylor run in the preseason. It's actually hilarious that people looked at what Taylor was doing in the preseason and Peterman and thought it was an apples to apples comparison of the exact same offense when the offense Peterman was running was primarily in the shotgun, like Taylor is used to running, while Taylor was primarily under center. Hell, Dennison even had Peterman hand the ball off from shotgun (something Taylor didn't do once this preseason, despite doing it consistently over the course of his career) and run the ball once on a designed run (something Taylor, obviously, is very used to doing).

Hellloooooooo?!?!?!?!

Overreaction City here.

I can't believe the amount of people who were pretty avid Taylor supporters who suddenly think Taylor's just terrible and Peterman is better.

And I'm not even saying that I think Taylor's going to light it up. Part of me is a little worried about this type of PR article after the "We're Ready" video OBD decided to put out with Taylor last year and the absolute stinker he put up vs. Baltimore.

But regardless, the offense we see Taylor running on Sunday and beyond will likely barely resemble the offense folks were so critical of him over the preseason.

Less than 2 days!

Why? Aren't you one of the guys who said pretty consistently that Taylor is like Smith?

I'm bored with people who think they know what will happen with teams and players.

Who was predicting the Patriots would get stomped yesterday?

And I love the way that the entire narrative here during the preseason was how much Taylor would struggle in this offense simply because he was struggling with what we saw in preseason games. As Beane and now Culley have revealed, this is a much more complex issue regarding what offense we had Taylor run in the preseason. It's actually hilarious that people looked at what Taylor was doing in the preseason and Peterman and thought it was an apples to apples comparison of the exact same offense when the offense Peterman was running was primarily in the shotgun, like Taylor is used to running, while Taylor was primarily under center. Hell, Dennison even had Peterman hand the ball off from shotgun (something Taylor didn't do once this preseason, despite doing it consistently over the course of his career) and run the ball once on a designed run (something Taylor, obviously, is very used to doing).

Hellloooooooo?!?!?!?!

Overreaction City here.

I can't believe the amount of people who were pretty avid Taylor supporters who suddenly think Taylor's just terrible and Peterman is better.

And I'm not even saying that I think Taylor's going to light it up. Part of me is a little worried about this type of PR article after the "We're Ready" video OBD decided to put out with Taylor last year and the absolute stinker he put up vs. Baltimore.

But regardless, the offense we see Taylor running on Sunday and beyond will likely barely resemble the offense folks were so critical of him over the preseason.

Less than 2 days!

Criticism of Taylor is not an attack on you personally. Relax.

I have said Taylor is Smith lite, and he is. The difference is where Smith (on occasion) can find the open Tyreke Hill after moving on from his first read and maneuvering the pocket, Taylor's already bailed and scrambled. And that's equally due to the fact that Smith has better receiving weapons, not simply because he's a better QB. I think that's fair.

And I certainly don't care about Peterman v Taylor at all. Neither of them IMO are starting QB material as of now. The difference there is that there's still the possibility Peterman could one day be, whereas Taylor will always rely upon the run game and good defense to be considered marginal.

People are bitching how Sammy wouldnt resign here. Well if they simply picked up his option he'd be here for another two years at least and then who knows.

Them letting Sammy go with look awful this year when the passing game has 0 playmakers over the top.

1. count how many guys stayed with a team that tagged them two years in a row.

2. The first time Jones or Clay or whichever receiver catches a deep ball (probably Sunday) do you realize how silly you'll sound to say they have 0 playmakers?

why dropped balls? maybe nothing spectacular. But keep in mind YAC stats last couple years as well.

i think the scheme will serve him and they absolutely are setting him up for success. But not dramatic stuff. Consistent chain movement is the goal. TOP is the goal. Field position as well. Not 76 yard TDs. not that there is anything wrong with that.

Holmes is the Only WR i find suspect going into this season. and i worry about that

Well... as always, I appreciate your optimism. But, our #1WR (Mathews) is brand new to the team, our #2 (Jones) is a rookie, Tate is our KR/PR, and won't likely see very many offensive snaps, Holmes has been, by all accounts, piss-poor in TC, and who the hell is Kaelin Clay?

Yikes! Is there a less inspiring WR room in the league?

I for one am cheering hard for TT to have his best season. He's got a fresh start with new coaches and has had another off-season to have worked on his trade. Best scenario for the Bills is for him to have a breakout year and not have to be thinking franchise QB going into next year's draft. No doubt he has to improve but I for one don't believe that people are forever pigeon holed by their past shortcomings. Tyrod to me is one of the most likable Bills in years and one who seems to be liked and respected a lot by his teammates and one that seems to work hard at getting better. No doubt the bottom line for a QB is winning, but this is a guy that everyone should be get behind right now. A guy you want to cheer for. Preseason means squat. Let's see what his off-season of work and a new coaching staff can now do over the course of a season.

Tagged?

I said pick up the team option. He'd be here this year and next.

My bad. And then he'd be gone so it would buy two years.

I did not like the trade myself. But I have to figure something was going on to make Beane think he was leaving when he could. And picking up the option would just create more problems that it was worth.

Unleash Tyrod Taylor..................from what ?

Taylor can't read defenses, and he can't hit receivers in stride.

So............what are they gonna do?

Have him stand in the pocket and hit open receivers coming across the middle in stride ?

What's he gonna do, suddenly put the ball where only the receiver can catch it ?

It's a nice thought, but IMHO hopeless..........

No I don't. I was just referring to ppg by the team.

I was referring to the same season and the same offense and same defense and same HC

If you want to use a 2 game sample size where 1 game he spotted the opponent a 24 point lead with 3 turnovers, where they fell into a prevent go for it. The Bills defense also scored. It's a big stretch to try to hand him "credit" for those 2 games. Edited by Kirby Jackson

It will look worse because Tyrod is starting. UGH....... so close to Peterman starting Week One!!!!!

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

It will look worse because Tyrod is starting. UGH....... so close to Peterman starting Week One!!!!!

So this is you wishing for a serious brain injury for Taylor all because you want a guy who you thought should start based on a few preseason games would have otherwise been the starter and retained the job...?

Amiright? I mean, Peterman was pretty clearly never close to winning any QB competition, so it couldn't be that.

Wow, that's pretty pathetic.

I hate to do this.

EJ also scored 23.4 ppg with the same team.

Fwiw

Defense was a problem yes. Qbing was too.

With the same team 20.6 and that includes defensive scores. 10 points against the Jets last season. 31 against the Jags and 21 against Cinci the season before.

I know it's a tough decision to accept but I do trust McBeane on this. Sammy did not fit the culture they're trying to build. He complained publicly to the media about his targets and talked about raising the bar for receiver contracts. That's not the type of player McBeane wants here and he has injury issues that are possibly going to creep up again.

We're going to play ball like KC did yesterday I'm guessing. Run the ball, short passes, go deep a couple times a game. It is a recipe for success and we save a ton of cap space since we don't have to pay Sammy that money. Depending on how Jordan Matthews and Zay Jones do I think Tyrod will be fine.

If the Bills cut every talented player who does something in the media they don't like (especially something before the new coaches were hired), that will be an element of "cut off your nose to spite your face".

I think the Sammy trade was purely "he's healthy, if he stays this year we either pay him big bucks or get nothing, here is a chance to get a 2nd round pick and a player who may contribute".

Aside: I had not realized that EJ Gaines suffered the same injury as Watkins (foot fracture) that kept him out in 2015 after a promising rookie year. Here's hoping he's back 100%.

No I don't. I was just referring to ppg by the team.

I was referring to the same season and the same offense and same defense and same HC

You mean for 1 game compared to 15 games?

If you want to use a 2 game sample size where 1 game he spotted the opponent a 24 point lead with 3 turnovers, where they fell into a prevent go for it. The Bills defense also scored. It's a big stretch to try to hand him "credit" for those 2 games.

Amen

The narrative that Watkins wouldn't sign here is getting ridiculous.

You pay him and he's stay.(assuming he earns it) And had they picked up his option you have him for another two years.

they're not going to sign him to a big deal with his injury history, it seems pretty cut and dry.

he's no longer in a bills uni, he plays for the rams now, time to move on.