Bills "can't wait to unleash Tyrod Taylor"

HappyDays

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the culture they are building is wrong?

I'm sure just about EVERY team in the NFL would love to have Watkins.

If that were true, then the Bils would have gotten a lot more for Watkins. The Bills' front office is not as clueless as you want to believe. They understand that when healthy he is a tremendous talent, but they also recognized that the injury risk is significant and that the Bills do not have a QB that can effectively take advantage of his skills.

If he turns into a superhero in LA, it does not mean that he would have reached those levels in Buffalo with Tyrod.

Self-awareness is important.

I am a skeptic on Taylor, but I am rooting for him and hope I am pleasantly surprised.

I certainly expect Taylor will look significantly better than the pre-season.

Still feel bad he doesn't have Sammy to throw to.

This is exactly where I am. Talor isn't horrible, but he hasn't shown that he can really elevate a team. Objectively, if he were a FA, there would be very few teams truly interested in signing him to be a long-term starter.

This is all well, and good. But, I'm not sure there is a more pedestrian WR corp in the league. They haven't exactly set TT up for success in that regard-- at least looking at it from the outside. I predict a lot of dropped balls this season.

We have yet to see what Matthews brings to the team. FWIW, Eagles fans loved the guy but the consensus among them is that he's a solid receiver, does everything well but he's not great.

I liked what I saw from him on some youtube videos, we shall see on Sunday how things work out.

Edited by Fixxxer

I know it's a tough decision to accept but I do trust McBeane on this. Sammy did not fit the culture they're trying to build. He complained publicly to the media about his targets and talked about raising the bar for receiver contracts. That's not the type of player McBeane wants here and he has injury issues that are possibly going to creep up again.

Agreed, Watkins had a poor record with injuries. No one was sure he'd ever deliver a full season's worth of games. Also, people believed the Bills wouldn't be able to sign him next year anyway. Dumping him now got a decent return. If they waited they may have gotten much less. So there were legit reasons to trade him whether you supported the deal or not.

But could we please lay off the idea anyone the Bills don't want is "culturally" deficient? Yes, Watkins has a trace of wide receiver diva in him - something only glimpsed in one or two interviews a year. But just the slightest trace - and at a level which barely compares with his more egocentric peers. But aside from that, who ever heard a complaint about him as a professional or teammate? He started and ended last season playing on a broken foot. Wasn't that evidence of "culture"? This meme has now reached the point where Jonathan Williams is cut and people immediately decide it was because of his moral deficiency. Ron Darby was traded and suddenly Peter King at SI writes it was because Darby "hadn't bought into the new administration." There was no explanation of this statement; there were no examples given to illustrate it; there was no hint of this supposed problem before the trade; there wasn't a single bit of reporting on this "issue" until Darby was safely out of the state.

Darby and Watkins were dumped for draft picks. Beane and McDermott are betting it all on the '18 draft. But they're big boys. They don't need us inventing reasons for their decisions.

Edited by grb

I've been crossing my fingers all preseason, hoping this would be the case.

We should know for sure on Sunday.

The offense we saw during August does not fit Tyrod Taylor's strengths.

If this article rings true, the Bills were forcing Taylor to work on his areas of weakness during the preseason. They were forcing him to work under center, because he struggles there. They were forcing him to stay in the pocket, because they didn't want him scrambling.

I would like to think that they were just practicing what they suck at too. That would be the smart thing to do. Looking forward to Sunday to see what this team has. I honestly think we could be pleasantly surprised, but then it was just the Jets. So if they do win convincingly, we will have to wait until the Panthers game to get a feel for the team.

While true people will use the defense as the reason TT doesn't have a better W/L record.

We will have out answers in about 44 hour.

They were 28 & 24 DVOA the last 2 years so they certainly weren't helping. I still blame Rex for more than anything over the last two years. He is the unquestioned reason for what went wrong the last 2 years. Edited by Kirby Jackson

This isn't news. It was obvious in preseason to anyone that has a clue that they were working on stuff. He will play football this week. He will move around and try to be a playmaker. The hope was to clean up some fundamentals without sacrificing his playmaking ability (just sacrificing his playmakers). They took the preseason to try to clean that up.

Yeah we SPECIFICALLY saw this with Roman's offense as well.........Wood and Incognito looked absolutely finished that first summer of Rex because they were using the games to practice things offensively that they were not good at.

But it wasn't particularly clever of Dennison and the Bills getting him hurt.......he got up got up limping after one sack in the first drive of preseason and went out staggering on the last and was under heavy pressure consistently in between.

After laughing I had to get somewhat depressed. Beane knows Real QB's, Franchise QB's guys that win superbowls do it 99% of the time from the pocket. Even Rogers and Wilson.

So now they are going to let him be what he is, a Running back and they are excited about this? So do we have another HC in love with a guy who runs instead of a Quarterback who throws?

The QB coach is way too giddy about this Bull crap. I pray Beane puts an end to it this offseason. If a guy hasn't become Franchise QB by now, he isn't going to.

Is there a stat line that would make people keep him for next year? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are three answers to this :

• No. Even if Taylor plays to virtual perfection, he'll still be in a run-first offense. He'll never put up the bulk numbers people demand to validate QB success. At best, he'll be described as a "game-manager". The god-like quarterback of people's dreams is not - repeat not - a game-manager.
  • No. Even if Taylor plays to virtual perfection, Beane and McDermott are already committed to drafting his replacement. Given all the assets they've dumped to stockpile picks, draft-day high drama is a locked-in requirement. You think they could get away with spending those picks on a right tackle? The mob would be after them with blazing torches and pitchforks. Also, they're aware of team history. This millennia a Bill's head coach & GM typically lasts 2.5 years before being fired. A bright & shinny new QB buys them time they may well need. Which leads us to:
  • Yes. If Taylor plays well, Beane and McDermott may want him back one more year to shield their new first-rounder Their very careers will be tied to their QB pick. If they throw him into the pool and he doesn't learn to swim, they better just jump right in after him. Of course Peterman might perform the role of stand-in, if they're comfortable with that.
Edited by grb

Hope so. But why get rid of Watkins. His deep ball is one of the best in the NFL.

This staff does not belive in spending 13 million to the WR position - period ! Look at their history in Philly and Carolina.

They believe in defensive 7 and off line

Agreed, Watkins had a poor record with injuries. No one was sure he'd ever deliver a full season's worth of games. Also, people believed the Bills wouldn't be able to sign him next year anyway. Dumping him now got a decent return. If they waited they may have gotten much less. So there were legit reasons to trade him whether you supported the deal or not.

But could we please lay off the idea anyone the Bills don't want is "culturally" deficient? Yes, Watkins has a trace of wide receiver diva in him - something glimpsed in one or two interviews a year. But only the slightest trace - and at a level which barely registers compared to his more egocentric peers. And aside from that, who ever heard a complaint about him as a professional or teammate? He started and ended last season playing on a broken foot. Wasn't that evidence of "culture"? This meme has now reached the point where Jonathan Williams is cut and people immediately decide it was because of his moral deficiency. Ron Darby was traded and suddenly Peter King at SI writes it was because Darby "hadn't bought into the new administration." There was no explanation of this statement; there were no examples given to illustrate it; there was no hint of this supposed problem before the trade; there wasn't a single bit of reporting on this "issue" until Darby was safely out of the state.

Darby and Watkins were dumped for draft picks. Beane and McDermott are betting it all on the '18 draft. But they're big boys. They don't need us inventing reasons for their decisions.

I don't think Darby or Williams had any kind of off the field problems, I'm just talking about Sammy. I thought it was really immature of him going to the Buffalo News and complaining about his targets. If he takes it to the coach and it leaks out, I have no problem with it. Him going public with that complaint was immature. Arguing with fans on Instagram was immature. Saying his receiver class would change the salary ceiling was immature. Celebrating too early in that Jets game and getting tackled was immature. It was a pattern with him. And he followed all of this up with his most injury ridden season yet. I didn't get the feeling that he really wanted to be here, and the coach/GM don't want to pay him what he thinks he's worth. They figured the likely high 2nd round pick is better than renting him for a year in a rush-heavy offense. I don't think McDermott ever wanted him back, they've been fielding trade calls for him all offseason.

After laughing I had to get somewhat depressed. Beane knows Real QB's, Franchise QB's guys that win superbowls do it 99% of the time from the pocket. Even Rogers and Wilson.

So now they are going to let him be what he is, a Running back and they are excited about this? So do we have another HC in love with a guy who runs instead of a Quarterback who throws?

The QB coach is way too giddy about this Bull crap. I pray Beane puts an end to it this offseason. If a guy hasn't become Franchise QB by now, he isn't going to.

Oh, it's you again.

They were 28 & 24 DVOA the last 2 years so they certainly weren't helping. I still blame Rex for more than anything over the last two years. He is the unquestioned reason for what went wrong the last 2 years.

Which, if you think about it, is actually kind of an impressive feat.

And we all know how much Rex loves impressive feet...

This isn't news. It was obvious in preseason to anyone that has a clue that they were working on stuff. He will play football this week. He will move around and try to be a playmaker. The hope was to clean up some fundamentals without sacrificing his playmaking ability (just sacrificing his playmakers). They took the preseason to try to clean that up.

seems too simple and obvious.

go away you carzy person

Edited by 3rdand12

Of all the annoying and self-righteous things Rex Ryan did as HC of the Bills, convincing himself and half the fanbase that Tyrod Taylor was a viable option at quarterback has got to be near the top of the list.

Yes - 24pts a game ranking 9th in the league in scoring is "viable": - Rex's issue is his defense that gave up 200yrd games rushing too easily - but ya lets blame the QB

This is all well, and good. But, I'm not sure there is a more pedestrian WR corp in the league. They haven't exactly set TT up for success in that regard-- at least looking at it from the outside. I predict a lot of dropped balls this season.

why dropped balls? maybe nothing spectacular. But keep in mind YAC stats last couple years as well.

i think the scheme will serve him and they absolutely are setting him up for success. But not dramatic stuff. Consistent chain movement is the goal. TOP is the goal. Field position as well. Not 76 yard TDs. not that there is anything wrong with that.

Holmes is the Only WR i find suspect going into this season. and i worry about that

They're not fooling anyone.

Lots of smoke and mirrors behind Shady leading the way.

It may work for a brief period of time if the line can still run block like they have been, but team's don't respect TT as a passer, and that will be exposed...to what degree yet, we do not know, but best case we still have the same pitfalls late in games where TT is forced into being a guy he's not.

I'll be mildly amused watching TT finally being "unleashed", while actually cringing at the results that are sure to come.

Yes - 24pts a game ranking 9th in the league in scoring is "viable": - Rex's issue is his defense that gave up 200yrd games rushing too easily - but ya lets blame the QB

So points are what's important on offense (and somehow attributed to the QB), and on defense it's rushing yards?

How predictably convenient.

They were 28 & 24 DVOA the last 2 years so they certainly weren't helping. I still blame Rex for more than anything over the last two years. He is the unquestioned reason for what went wrong the last 2 years.

no question, just hope Bills can recover quickly.

Not sure we can though. Bit of a hole the fat phuckers drilled