Bills "can't wait to unleash Tyrod Taylor"

HappyDays

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The narrative that Watkins wouldn't sign here is getting ridiculous.

You pay him and he's stay.(assuming he earns it) And had they picked up his option you have him for another two years.

--------------

True, but now your asking a new coach and gm to take a chance on a oft injured receiver who would cost a them a top 5 first round option. I believe it was 11 mil compared to the 8 mil OBJ,Landry and Mike Evans cost and those guys were more productive than Sammy. I have no doubt when healthy Sammy is the superior WR but players can't perform from the bench. His talent was never in question, his availability was. Also for those thinking we could have received more compensation for the trade are off base. Being able to get a 2nd Rd pick which will most likely be high because it's from the Rams and a starting DB is quite the fetch. It's not the Rams fault the previous regime was stupid enough to give an extra 1st for a WR with no QB in place.

This isn't news. It was obvious in preseason to anyone that has a clue that they were working on stuff. He will play football this week. He will move around and try to be a playmaker. The hope was to clean up some fundamentals without sacrificing his playmaking ability (just sacrificing his playmakers). They took the preseason to try to clean that up.]/b]

The preseason demonstrated what he can't do i.e. that he isn't and will never be a pocket qb who is capable of going through his progressions and adequately make anticipatory throws. The new staff knew before training camp began what he could do and now they know for sure what he will never be able to do. Without a doubt he should be much more effective in the regular season playing his more simplistic game but in the long run that type of play is too restrictive to amount to much for the prospects for the team. While he is an acceptable bridge qb he will never be a franchise qb. Don't be surprised if before the season is finished that Peterman will be getting the starting job just to see what he is capable of.

Lol.

Why is it every unit that struggles or is awful in the Pre-Season is "saving it" for the regular season?

Lol.

Like clockwork.

Your offense can't complete a pass...don't worry it's vanilla.

Your defense can't stop a fly...don't worry they are keeping week 1 opponent guessing.

Lol.

But for some reason I doubt anyone who believes that would grant the opponent is also doing the same the thing. Only their team is smart and sly.

Lol.

And bravo for keeping a QB in longer than wanted against the Eagles because he and the offense was that bad.

Because most teams ask their QB to work on nothing he will be doing in the regular season and then risk keeping him in a meaningless game longer.

I picked the wrong line of work. Should have just invested all my money on betting with fellow bills fans these past two decades.

The preseason demonstrated what he can't do i.e. that he isn't and will never be a pocket qb who is capable of going through his progressions and adequately make anticipatory throws. The new staff knew before training camp began what he could do and now they know for sure what he will never be able to do. Without a doubt he should be much more effective in the regular season playing his more simplistic game but in the long run that type of play is too restrictive to amount to much for the prospects for the team. While he is an acceptable bridge qb he will never be a franchise qb. Don't be surprised if before the season is finished that Peterman will be getting the starting job just to see what he is capable of.

Good post. Pretty much sums it up. But this offense has no deep threat for any QB. That is a problem.

If you want to use a 2 game sample size where 1 game he spotted the opponent a 24 point lead with 3 turnovers, where they fell into a prevent go for it. The Bills defense also scored. It's a big stretch to try to hand him "credit" for those 2 games.

24 ppg and 23 ppg.

The offense scored the same amount of points those 2 games in 15.

Did I err and not say TEAM?

Think that this is pretty fair John.

Well... as always, I appreciate your optimism. But, our #1WR (Mathews) is brand new to the team, our #2 (Jones) is a rookie, Tate is our KR/PR, and won't likely see very many offensive snaps, Holmes has been, by all accounts, piss-poor in TC, and who the hell is Kaelin Clay?

Yikes! Is there a less inspiring WR room in the league?

Yes, last years group, and the year before that were rough.

But i hear you Rocky

The difference for me, is i have yet to see this group on the field.

I am not feeling good about Holmes to be honest. if he drops ball like he was doing in practice (or so i read ) maybe they bring up Reilly !

24 ppg and 23 ppg.

The offense scored the same amount of points those 2 games in 15.

Did I err and not say TEAM?

That's fine. So ignore the 3 turnovers (-21 points), defensive TD (-7 more points) and the fact that they went into a shell defense because of the giant lead and you have a point. He also scored 10 points against a team that they scored 31 against earlier last year. Explain that? I

Context matters

This is all well, and good. But, I'm not sure there is a more pedestrian WR corp in the league. They haven't exactly set TT up for success in that regard-- at least looking at it from the outside. I predict a lot of dropped balls this season.

Strange prediction.

Does this group of WRs have a noted problem hanging onto the ball?

First off, we have seen the best of Tyrod, so him being unleashed isn't going to blow anyone away.

Second, who is he throwing to when he starts unleashing these passes? The WR core is pretty weak and at best...unproven.

The best thing that can happen is that the run game clicks, which allows play action passes to be more viable and they allow Tyrod to operate more in shotgun.

I like Taylor, I think he tries and wants to win, but I don't see it happening to him this year!!!

Good post. Pretty much sums it up. But this offense has no deep threat for any QB. That is a problem.

I firmly believe that with or without Watkins this team as it was built by Whaley was not a playoff team. Was it capable of being a fringe playoff team? Yes. But that means little because of the nature of the parity system where half the teams are fringe playoff teams. Watkins is a sterling talent. I have always acknowledged that. But because of the deficit at the qb position Watkins was never going to realize his abundant talent here. The Bills got a starting CB in the trade and more importantly got cap room to be more flexible in reworking the roster. If the Bills are able to use that second round pick gained in the deal to maneuver to get an elite qb prospect then who can complain? McDermott wants a competitive team but he is also determined to rebuild this poorly constructed roster that he inherited.

That's fine. So ignore the 3 turnovers (-21 points), defensive TD (-7 more points) and the fact that they went into a shell defense because of the giant lead and you have a point. He also scored 10 points against a team that they scored 31 against earlier last year. Explain that? I

Context matters

Why are you arguing?

I did not say EJ was better than TT.

Re 2 game in the 2015 season.

IIRC the offense scored almost the same number of points in those 2 games.

Yes EJ screwed the pooch in the JAGs game and they lost the game because of it.

that 2 game avg to be above 24 ppg wo those turnovers.

The loss was on EJ.

How can you take points scored away from them?

Are we talking net points now?

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Why are you arguing? I did not say EJ was better than TT.

All I said and I'll say it clearer

the offense scored almost the same number of points in those 2 games.

Yes EJ screwed the pooch in the JAGs game.

we'd expect that 2 game avg to be above 24 ppg wo those turnovers.

But that game is half of the sample size of the point that you are trying to prove. So yes, it happened and I explained why. That's why a sample size of 2 games or 3 100 snaps in the preseason doesn't accurately tell the story. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Think that this is pretty fair John.

Many people believe that I am a basher of TT. I'm not. We are fortunate that we have him. He has been far away our best option as a qb in a very long time. I don't think it is a radical thought to have that if he was our qb in Marrone's second year that the Bills playoff drought might have been over. The issue for this bedraggled franchise is whether it is going to use this "bargain" qb as an opportunity to give us the time to get a top shelf prospect. Or is it going to squander its opportunities to simply get by?

TT, even as a backup and a change of pace qb, has an opportunity to carve out a long and lucrative career. One can argue that he has accomplished that already. Taylor is a far different qb than the cerebral and raggedly armed Fitz. To his credit what the vagabond Fitz has done is make a ton of money with severe limitations over a long period of time. Although survivors are not usually very prominent they can still leave this game very wealthy. That's not something to demean.

I can't believe all the negativity I'm reading in this thread.

We had the 10th best scoring offense in football last year.

Unleash this guy and the sky is the limit!

Go Bills!

Before week 17 last year we had scored the 3rd most offensive TDs in the league. This year we have Shady and Tyrod coming back, and a receiving corps that is really no worse than it was for 80% of last year. The offensive line is also exactly the same.

What changed that makes you think we go from top 5 in offensive TDs to a garbage offense?

Another Rodak gem

QB Confidence Index: Buffalo Bills

Tyrod Taylor's revised contract, which allows Buffalo to get out of it after this year, doesn't scream confidence, and the top option behind, Nathan Peterman, remains unproven.

Rodak's tears haven't dried up yet from Thursday night. Give the poor baby a break.

Stats lie

I want them to win..:that is all I care about. Now, I want him to hit his WRs, not overthrow people down the seem and not take bad sacks.

You can throw for 300 yards and QB poorly. Judging a QB solely by his stat line is pure insanity....especially when the team has no real WRs and is a running team.

As one of TBD's biggest Tyrod fans, I look forward to this.

I do as well.

Personally I have always felt that Tyrod is a QB who can amplify big play receiving and running talent and make an OL look a lot better than it is........he has a skillset that few have........but I don't see him being more than a mediocre fit for short pitch-and-catch WCO football.

Which is why I remain skeptical that enough can be done with the weapons at hand for him to be better than he was in the previous offense WITH a healthy Sammy Watkins.

Taylor was down statistically in 2016 from 2015........but I felt like he was clearly a better QB by the end of 2016 than he was in 2015.

Improvement is good.....we've seen bad QB's......and the trend is typically an initial good look when they were new.....then steady decline.

Dennison brings a more sophisticated passing system and I've always admired that Shanny/Kubiak offense and was REALLY optimistic about it with Sammy coming back.

I'll say this too.......expectations have been low before seasons in the past......1998 they weren't very high with what looked like a BAD offense(young QB, with a bad OL and bad WR corps with a bust named Eric Moulds considered a possible CUT in camp)........ and 10 games in Bills fans were having SB dreams.........Jauron year 1 expectations were ultra-low so that 7 wins felt like a lot more.

Unexpected QB play was critical in both turnarounds..........Flutie/Johnson were spectacular at times and Losman was turned into a very productive play action passer by a well coordinated Steve Fairchild gameplan.

So if they can get a big year out of Tyrod then a successful season isn't out of the question despite some really poor optics to this point.

Admittedly I am a fan of Tyrod's, but I have to admit I have some serious doubt as to whether he will ever see the whole field or throw with anticipation. Having said that, he is at worst a competent QB. And his legs and deep ball coupled with McCoy means we will score some points. All comes down to how strong the D can be, IMHO. We may need them to be very strong, but maybe they can be. Still a unit with a lot of talent. Hyde, Hughes, Williams, Dareus, Brown, White, Lorax -- it is a group with meaningful ability if maximized.

I know it's a tough decision to accept but I do trust McBeane on this. Sammy did not fit the culture they're trying to build. He complained publicly to the media about his targets and talked about raising the bar for receiver contracts. That's not the type of player McBeane wants here and he has injury issues that are possibly going to creep up again.

We're going to play ball like KC did yesterday I'm guessing. Run the ball, short passes, go deep a couple times a game. It is a recipe for success and we save a ton of cap space since we don't have to pay Sammy that money. Depending on how Jordan Matthews and Zay Jones do I think Tyrod will be fine.

Why, exactly, do you "trust" McDermott and Beane? Because they spout a bunch of platitudes and make promises that you like hearing? Neither of them have track records as head guys: they've always been assistants, never the leaders. Whatever happened to earning trust?

Moreover, in what way(s) did Watkins "not fit the culture they're trying to build"? That he dared to speak his mind? Dude, this is 2017 NOT 1967! :doh: As long as players perform on the field, whatever they think about issues like player salaries or standing for the national anthem is their own damned business. Furthermore, the Bills are notorious for filling player contracts, especially rookie contracts, with individual performance incentives rather than just giving them a flat salary, so a WR who doesn't get many targets is going to get paid a lot less than he might if he just got a flat salary. It encourages a "me first" attitude rather than a "team first" attitude, and the fault for that is all on the Bills not on the players.

Why, exactly, do you "trust" McDermott and Beane? Because they spout a bunch of platitudes and make promises that you like hearing? Neither of them have track records as head guys: they've always been assistants, never the leaders. Whatever happened to earning trust?

Moreover, in what way(s) did Watkins "not fit the culture they're trying to build"? That he dared to speak his mind? Dude, this is 2017 NOT 1967! :doh: As long as players perform on the field, whatever they think about issues like player salaries or standing for the national anthem is their own damned business. Furthermore, the Bills are notorious for filling player contracts, especially rookie contracts, with individual performance incentives rather than just giving them a flat salary, so a WR who doesn't get many targets is going to get paid a lot less than he might if he just got a flat salary. It encourages a "me first" attitude rather than a "team first" attitude, and the fault for that is all on the Bills not on the players.

I think demanding the ball more .... when he was on crutches .... told me, anyway, what kind of character Sam has.

He's done a lot of talking since entering the NFL. Unfortunately, on the field, what he's shown most is potential.

That doesn't earn him the right to flap his lips, in my opinion.

He's trying to be T.O. without getting the TDs first.

Count me in the, "glad he's gone," camp.

So nice to see the usual punchbowl pissers make their appearance in this thread.

Sadly, the notion that those who are optimistic for the Bills are either clueless homers or newbie transplants from elsewhere with no football IQ at all and every naysayer, doom and gloom, the sky is falling pessimist some how has the inside track on smarts and should be agreed with on the strength of their negativity.

And for both the optimists and the pessimists remember this: If you say something enough times it will eventually become a fact(oid)

You know, I appreciate the Tyrod discussions like the next fan, so forgive me for pointing out that if you want to make your point about how much you dislike him, come up with something other than "He's in his seventh year."

Technically, you are correct. Logistically, you're using a point that is useless because he sat on a bench for four of those years. You don't progress as QB in the NFL by sitting on a bench during the regular season.

Yeah, I get it. It *sounds" like such a solid point against him. But it's not solid. It's lazy. And anyone who knows even a little bit about this game knows it's a ridiculous point to keep bringing up.

Few NFL'ers play (actually play, not sit on a bench) in this league for seven seasons and stay on a team if he sucks.

Frankly, I'm surprised so many Bills fans don't understand this very simple truth.

EDITOR'S NOTE: I'm not arguing one way or another as to what kind of QB he'll be this season. I'm explaining that if you want to make the point that he sucks, come up with a point that makes sense.

Edited by LABillzFan