Dareus sent home for violating a team rule

He was at the stadium exactly two hours before the game he wasn't going to play in. He probably didn't think it was all that important to miss stretching he wasn't going to do.

McD, however, wanted all the players on the team to go through what his game day road experience was to be like, so it would not be new to anyone when they did it during the regular season. That is why guys like Glenn and Matthews traveled with the team and even did some warmups. So McD had good reason to be strict about this.

I think it was a very minor infraction that deserved its penalty. I sometimes stick up for Dareus but his interview was awful. He acted like a jerk imo. He should have been much more apologetic for breaking the team rule.

I agree with a lot of your post except the apology. We don't see what goes on behind closed doors. It's very possible that he was apologetic and made statements to teammates or coaches. So just because he isn't apologetic on camera to the media and fans for, like you said, a minor infraction during a preseason game, doesn't mean that he didn't receive the message

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps. I know I've been on the receiving end of those while on active duty and it's not for wimps. Maybe it would be a good wake up call for Dareus to get his act together and act like a professional.

I have a guy who works for me (active duty) who is like a man child and the ass chewings have temporary effect. He's well on his way to a discharge much like Dareus is to being cut.

I have a guy who works for me (active duty) who is like a man child and the ass chewings have temporary effect. He's well on his way to a discharge much like Dareus is to being cut.

Dareus' contract makes it highly unlikely he goes anywhere for the next two seasons.

Belichick is more than happy to tolerate Gronkowski's insanity and distractions.

He drafted and played a guy who was convicted for murder. He signed Randy Moss when no one in the league wanted anything to do with him. He signed LaGarrette Blount to his team twice, the 2nd after was suspended and then basically quit on the Steelers.

Belichick as a disciplinarian is a myth. His only measurement of a player is how they perform on the field.

McDermott is following in Dick Jauron's footsteps, not Belichick's.

He didnt build his team around those guys. He built a foundation and than those personalities can fit in on team friendly deals or get cut. For every Gronk they have a Chad Johnson.

I just got a chance to watch Dareus's press conference this evening.

WHAT A CLOWN! This 'kid' needs to grow up and fast....before he finds himself being the next has-been tragedy in a back page newspaper story somewhere. He seems to be laughing his way through each new epic personal failure. I simply cannot fathom how ANY Front Office could see anything but loser in this kid. It's really a shame.

He was at the stadium exactly two hours before the game he wasn't going to play in. He probably didn't think it was all that important to miss stretching he wasn't going to do.

McD, however, wanted all the players on the team to go through what his game day road experience was to be like, so it would not be new to anyone when they did it during the regular season. That is why guys like Glenn and Matthews traveled with the team and even did some warmups. So McD had good reason to be strict about this.

I think it was a very minor infraction that deserved its penalty. I sometimes stick up for Dareus but his interview was awful. He acted like a jerk imo. He should have been much more apologetic for breaking the team rule.

Seems fair. Dareus is one that I want to like, and often the situations don't feel huge... but boy are there a lot these incidents and does he ever suck at explaining himself (I'll always recall the "I just go out and things happen" explanation).

I think your take is accurate though... and wouldn't be shocked if he genuinely didn't realize the expectations even though they likely were told.

If we were told Wednesday night that a player would be sent home for violating team policy, who do you think would have led if a poll was available with each player listed?

The highest paid player on this team unfortunately. Ridiculous. I have lost patience, the product does not warrant the contract

Dareus' contract makes it highly unlikely he goes anywhere for the next two seasons.

As the great Metallica song goes, Sad but True

Peter King:

I think this hole the Bills have dug for themselves just seems to get deeper every day. The team last played a playoff game eight days into this century. Seventeen years into this century, the drought is far from over. The Bills, who sent Marcell Dareus home before the preseason game at Baltimore over a disciplinary issue, now need to have a serious discussion about his future in Buffalo. “Obviously, a guy with his contract status, you would hope that he would be a better leader than that,” GM Brandon Beane said. Since being drafted in 2011, Dareus has been arrested twice, suspended by the league for substance issues, and now gets sent home for team disciplinary reasons. Since signing a six-year, $96 million extension in 2015, Dareus has had a four-game suspension and now this, and the Bills have to choose between paying Dareus $9.75 million in salary this year … or face the onerous task, if they choose to cut him, of splitting a $38.35 million hit for dead money over 2017 and ’18.

It’s all onerous, frankly. The contract was an idiotic one to agree to in the first place, based on Dareus’s off-field history. And now the franchise has another anchor on it. Say you were 10 years old and just getting into pro football when the Bills last made the playoffs. Now you’ve gone through middle school, high school and maybe four years of college, and gotten married, and maybe just started a family. And your team’s been miserable every season. How much more are you ready to take? Not sure of that … but it ain’t over.

Peter King:

I think this hole the Bills have dug for themselves just seems to get deeper every day. The team last played a playoff game eight days into this century. Seventeen years into this century, the drought is far from over. The Bills, who sent Marcell Dareus home before the preseason game at Baltimore over a disciplinary issue, now need to have a serious discussion about his future in Buffalo. Obviously, a guy with his contract status, you would hope that he would be a better leader than that, GM Brandon Beane said. Since being drafted in 2011, Dareus has been arrested twice, suspended by the league for substance issues, and now gets sent home for team disciplinary reasons. Since signing a six-year, $96 million extension in 2015, Dareus has had a four-game suspension and now this, and the Bills have to choose between paying Dareus $9.75 million in salary this year or face the onerous task, if they choose to cut him, of splitting a $38.35 million hit for dead money over 2017 and 18.

Its all onerous, frankly. The contract was an idiotic one to agree to in the first place, based on Dareuss off-field history. And now the franchise has another anchor on it. Say you were 10 years old and just getting into pro football when the Bills last made the playoffs. Now youve gone through middle school, high school and maybe four years of college, and gotten married, and maybe just started a family. And your teams been miserable every season. How much more are you ready to take? Not sure of that but it aint over.

thanks Pete!

I was going to start a new topic but I dont want to upset the mods/folks on here.

These are my thoughts on how to tackle (no pun intended) the Dareus situation.

This young man refuses to grow up and has major discipline issues- it has been evident over the years as trends never lie and his latest interview showed how disrespectful and smug he is. He is also dumber than a box of rocks.

If it were up to me everytime from here on out he messes up you discipline him. Dareus will eventually grow tired of it and want out. At this point we have leverage to renegotiate a new contract.

Once a new contract is in place offload him for the best value possible wether thats draft picks, veteran players or a combination of both.

Im sure this seems simple to most but it is most likely the only way out of this mess. Sure, he is our best defensive player in the minds of many but do we need the headache anymore?

I was going to start a new topic but I dont want to upset the mods/folks on here.

This young man refuses to grow up and has major discipline issues- it has been evident over the years as trends never lie and his latest interview showed how disrespectful and smug he is. He is also dumber than a box of rocks.

If it were up to me everytime from here on out he messes up you discipline him. Dareus will eventually grow tired of it and want out. At this point we have leverage to renegotiate a new contract.

Once a new contract is in place offload him for the best value possible wether thats draft picks, veteran players or a combination of both.

Im sure this seems simple to most but it is most likely the only way out of this mess. Sure, he is our best defensive player in the minds of many but do we need the headache anymore?

The problem isn't another team paying him as much as us eating the dead money from amortized bonuses. Unfortunately that isn't fixable. Edited by NoSaint

he has no reason to renegotiate his contract...he has his guarantee and signing bonus

Peter King:

I think this hole the Bills have dug for themselves just seems to get deeper every day. The team last played a playoff game eight days into this century. Seventeen years into this century, the drought is far from over. The Bills, who sent Marcell Dareus home before the preseason game at Baltimore over a disciplinary issue, now need to have a serious discussion about his future in Buffalo. “Obviously, a guy with his contract status, you would hope that he would be a better leader than that,” GM Brandon Beane said. Since being drafted in 2011, Dareus has been arrested twice, suspended by the league for substance issues, and now gets sent home for team disciplinary reasons. Since signing a six-year, $96 million extension in 2015, Dareus has had a four-game suspension and now this, and the Bills have to choose between paying Dareus $9.75 million in salary this year … or face the onerous task, if they choose to cut him, of splitting a $38.35 million hit for dead money over 2017 and ’18.

It’s all onerous, frankly. The contract was an idiotic one to agree to in the first place, based on Dareus’s off-field history. And now the franchise has another anchor on it. Say you were 10 years old and just getting into pro football when the Bills last made the playoffs. Now you’ve gone through middle school, high school and maybe four years of college, and gotten married, and maybe just started a family. And your team’s been miserable every season. How much more are you ready to take? Not sure of that … but it ain’t over.

I was 11. Now I'm a Professional Engineer and own a house...

We can't just renegotiate.....well we can and Dareus can simply not accept the new contract and we're screwed.

Sal C was on WGR this morning. He said if the Bills could move on from Dareus, he believes they would but they just can't.

If we trade him, it would be a $6 million dollar cap hit this year and $14 million next year. That's $20 million for a player who isn't even on your roster.

The problem isn't another team paying him as much as us eating the dead money from amortized bonuses. Unfortunately that isn't fixable.

I am not knowledgeable enough on all the ins and outs of NFL contracts. Cant that all be renegotiated?

he has no reason to renegotiate his contract...he has his guarantee and signing bonus

Do you think everyone has their breaking point? What I mean is if he continues to be disciplined for poor conduct do you think maybe then he would come to the bargaining table?

I am not knowledgeable enough on all the ins and outs of NFL contracts. Cant that all be renegotiated?

Do you think everyone has their breaking point? What I mean is if he continues to be disciplined for poor conduct do you think maybe then he would come to the bargaining table?

Money already paid is on our books and will eventually count against the cap. You can kick that can down the curb, but it only digs a deeper hole.

We can't just renegotiate.....well we can and Dareus can simply not accept the new contract and we're screwed.

Sal C was on WGR this morning. He said if the Bills could move on from Dareus, he believes they would but they just can't.

If we trade him, it would be a $6 million dollar cap hit this year and $14 million next year. That's $20 million for a player who isn't even on your roster.

Even if he was traded and the new team was willing to accept his contract it would still be a cap hit?

Money already paid is on our books and will eventually count against the cap. You can kick that can down the curb, but it only digs a deeper hole.

That, my friend, is a serious buzzkill!!!

I was 11. Now I'm a Professional Engineer and own a house...

I was 38....Now I'm old

The ex-Marine D line coach needs to show some real tough love to this kid, like they do in Marine boot camp. Either he shapes up, or he quits.

he won't quit.....the Bills would sue to get part of the signing bonus back.....this will continue until they can release without a big cap hit....he will always have nagging injuries...will play part time and probably not full effort.....

Even if he was traded and the new team was willing to accept his contract it would still be a cap hit?

That, my friend, is a serious buzzkill!!!

Yes. The cap hit protects players from getting traded without penalty. In 2 years, the cap hit won't be much so that's when he's expendable.

The Browns took Osweiler's cap hit just to get a 2nd round pick...they had plenty of cap room to absorb it one year.

I was 38....Now I'm old

he won't quit.....the Bills would sue to get part of the signing bonus back.....this will continue until they can release without a big cap hit....he will always have nagging injuries...will play part time and probably not full effort.....

I don't know. If he really is beat on by a coach would he just say I don't need this and walk away?

Ultimately with Dareus it comes down to desire. Does he truly have the desire to play football and be as good as he can be? People here say he's the most talented guy on the defense, but if you're not willing to utilize that talent what good is it?

@JasonLaCanfora

There are no sacred cows in Buffalo as new Bills regime lays down the law. My column for https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/there-are-no-sacred-cows-in-buffalo-as-new-bills-regime-lays-down-the-law/

While most of the Buffalo Bills, if not all of them, were already changed from their dress clothes and on the field stretching Saturday night less than two hours before kickoff of their third preseason game, the team's highest-paid player was nowhere in sight.

Instead, occasionally-impactful defensive tackle Marcell Dareus was outside M&T Bank Stadium, trying to get a parking spot in the D Lot, with the team busses already departed from the Bills' downtown hotel. And by around 5:30 or so, Dareus' roller bag was removed from the visitor's locker room of the stadium and he was quickly headed right back to the parking lot, his evening over and his spot on the team charter going vacant; he would not be suiting up or playing football and he would be arranging for his own transportation back to Western New York.

@BradleyGelber

Bradley Gelber Retweeted Jason La Canfora

Per @JasonLaCanfora, Dareus was sent home before Saturday's game because he missed the team bus while trying to find a parking spot. #Bills

That's not what LaConfora wrote, Brad. Or whomever Brad was retweeting. He missed the team bus at the hotel, then drove to the stadium and was looking for a parking spot at the stadium. Not much of a difference but if you are a reporter you should get things right.

@BradleyGelber

Bradley Gelber Retweeted Jason La Canfora

Per @JasonLaCanfora, Dareus was sent home before Saturday's game because he missed the team bus while trying to find a parking spot. #Bills

This only happens if he's late. If the bus leaves at 4:00 pm, don't arrive at 3:59 and give yourself 1 minute to find a spot, park, get out anything you need and then walk to the bus.

That's not what LaConfora wrote, Brad. Or whomever Brad was retweeting. He missed the team bus at the hotel, then drove to the stadium and was looking for a parking spot at the stadium. Not much of a difference but if you are a reporter you should get things right.

Thank you for clearing this up. Makes sense now....

Peter King:

I think this hole the Bills have dug for themselves just seems to get deeper every day. The team last played a playoff game eight days into this century. Seventeen years into this century, the drought is far from over. The Bills, who sent Marcell Dareus home before the preseason game at Baltimore over a disciplinary issue, now need to have a serious discussion about his future in Buffalo. Obviously, a guy with his contract status, you would hope that he would be a better leader than that, GM Brandon Beane said. Since being drafted in 2011, Dareus has been arrested twice, suspended by the league for substance issues, and now gets sent home for team disciplinary reasons. Since signing a six-year, $96 million extension in 2015, Dareus has had a four-game suspension and now this, and the Bills have to choose between paying Dareus $9.75 million in salary this year or face the onerous task, if they choose to cut him, of splitting a $38.35 million hit for dead money over 2017 and 18.

Its all onerous, frankly. The contract was an idiotic one to agree to in the first place, based on Dareuss off-field history. And now the franchise has another anchor on it. Say you were 10 years old and just getting into pro football when the Bills last made the playoffs. Now youve gone through middle school, high school and maybe four years of college, and gotten married, and maybe just started a family. And your teams been miserable every season. How much more are you ready to take? Not sure of that but it aint over.

Well the idiot who signed him to that contract is gone so thats a plus. I assume we will see less headscratchers like His in the future and rightfully so.

Don't shoot the messenger but this guy seems to have a decent source after following him for awhile

@vicious155

The sense I'm getting is that Marcell Dareus's next misstep in a #Bills Uniform will be his last

I believe that. I really hope that Dareus is able to get his **** together. Unfortunately, some people just can't help themselves.