New Parent - Bringing Kids to first game - seeking advice

ShipUPride

Hello all,

I'm a single father of two, 2-year old twins. We live in Maryland and I want to give them a first Bills game experience. I'm planning to bring them up for the Bills/Lions preseason game. I figured a little tailgate, and expect to leave before half-time. Any advice from others that have brought toddlers to a game?

Honestly, my advise would be to leave them home so you can have fun.

At that age, they will not remember any of the experience.

I love taking my kids to the games and passing on the love for the Bills, but I didn't start until they were old enough to enjoy it (4-5yrs old).

If you're taking them to a preseason game, you probably won't have any issues with drunks or anything like that.

Edited by Maddog69

I cannot think of a worse idea or experience....they wont remember anything, you will be changing diapers the entire time, they will get beer spilled on them, you will have to carry them both....

I hope this is a joke post the more I think about it...going to respond anyway

Hello all,

I'm a single father of two, 2-year old twins. We live in Maryland and I want to give them a first Bills game experience. I'm planning to bring them up for the Bills/Lions preseason game. I figured a little tailgate, and expect to leave before half-time. Any advice from others that have brought toddlers to a game?

Are you NUTS?

I have a grandson soon to be 3 and I love him to the moon but no way I would bring him to a game at his age. unless you were looking to entertain them for a solid 3 hrs and not watch any of the game yourself?

I'm thinking 5-7 would be a time to start thinking about taking a kid to a game?

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

With all due respect, you are a good 4-6 years early here. Save your money and energy. They'll be miserable, you'll be miserable, and all that for a crappy preseason game. Wait until they are old enough to handle it, enjoy it, and even understand some of it.

father of two boys, 3 and 5. I wouldn't even consider it for the reasons people have outlined above. My 2 year old last year could barely make it through a college game where he was able to run around in a grass endzone. Don't waste time or money, yet. Give it time, dude. If anything, take them to the Bills pre season game in Baltimore.

Our house rule was noone goes to a game (preseason or regular season) at the Rich, the Ralph, New Era until they are 6 or older and I look back on that now thinking it was too early to take them. My kids have been puked on, urinated on, beered on, hit by a golf cart (unhurt thankfully) over the years at games. They wear these "occurrences" as badges of honor of their Bills fandom. The first couple years they were totally under foot and being held by the hand...at 10 they gained a bit of independence.

Its just not a great environment for toddlers...

Took my 3.5 year old, at that time, to last years pre-season. It was an earlier start and we were feeling the heat, he was just pouring sweat. But eventually some clouds rolled through and it was perfect. We stayed for the first half and he loved, still talks about going, but I'm not taking him this the year. If there is an earlier pre-season game next year, I will take him again. Pre-season games are very mild, don't have to worry about most of the shenanigans of a regular season game. There are family bathrooms, just make sure you know where those are located. Other than that, enjoy! I know they are young and wont remember much as they get older, but they will enjoy it while they are there. Take lot's of pictures, great memories!!! GO BILLS!

Edited by ricojes

I didnt start my son that early, but I did start taking him to the kids game every year starting when he was 3. We didnt tailgate at all. Just drove there parked, got to our seat and watched the game. I thought the atmosphere was fine for him, but I think that had a lot to do with it being kids day. The first two years, when he was 3 and 4 respectively we stayed until halftime and left. I thought that worked out well. Last year he made it through three quarters.

I think its important to remember every kid is different. I took my nephew the second year when he and my son were both 4, and he wanted to leave five minutes into the game. I would suggest having another adult go with you so youre not trying to keep up with the demands of two toddlers. Even if they love the game and sit quitely, they will want food and they will need to go to the bathroom, and that will only be stressful.

I brought my daughter at 3 to a preseason game (family day at the time) and she loved it. We left around halftime too. This will be her third season of going to one, and she looks forward to it for weeks. We're also bringing a 1 year old.

I've taken newborns to MLB games, and its never been an issue either.

Im normally all about the kids. That said I agree with most everything above. We went to the Giants preseason game last year with a lot of family. All our kids are grown but the rest are not. The youngest was 5 4 and she loved it but the mom and dad took turns taking them out. The heat is unbearable in the preseason games and if you personally are looing for a game experience you will not get it. Presaeason games are horrible

We brought our two and six year olds to the kids day game last year. It was fine, but it was during the day. And we only drove an hour for it, not 6+. And there was two of us to handle them, not a single parent.

I'm not going to tell you not to do it, but in the end, just think about if you're making memories for them yet, or not.

Edited by jimmy10

Terrible idea to bring your toddlers to a game. Terrible.

They are toddlers, and while they are adorable to you, and maybe even the centerpiece of your life, no one else at the stadium gives a flying !@#$ about them, and came to see a Bills game. They paid a good deal of money, and won't be interested in altering their experience to accommodate someone who brought a pair of two year olds to the game.

It's an incredibly inconsiderate thing to do.

Agree not to bring. I have season tickets in a mellow section (135) so the fan behavior was not an issue, but did not bring my kids until age 6 or 7. Went to training camp earlier and that was better for them at a younger age, could see more, didn't stay as long, etc.

I've never seen such amazing unity on a topic!

Okay.

With that, take them... Don't listen to these clowns! It is a Pre-Season game I guess.

Okay, I tried to be a contrarian.

Are You NUTS... Twin two year-olds!

I waited till my son was 9 (19 now) & that was too young! & he's a boy! My daughter is 15 & for a girl, probably still not ready.

Take them to Barney on Ice, not Bills Fans on Booze!

This has to be a joke, right? 2 year old twins??? Borderline child abuse.

LoL...

Somebody call FamilyServices!

Hello all,

It's pretty cool to bring them to a Bills game that young and as a single dad to twins you are no doubt used to keeping an eye on them all day........ so you were probably going to have to do that whether you came to the Bills game or not.

They may not remember it but it's a badge of honor for them later on......that bonding extra important when you don't want to be missing Bills games years down the line because they'd otherwise want to do something else instead. :thumbsup:

Preseason games are very chill and lot's of kids around so contrary to what I've seen here I don't expect anyone to give you dirty looks or complain about bringing your kids.

Regular season game......obviously different story.

The right time to take your kids to the game is a personal question. I think it really depends on how much your children drink. My 14 year old doesn't touch the sauce so he's not ready yet, but my 12 year old can toss them back with most 16 year olds so he's in.

Wow. I was nervous being the first to respond and recommend not bringing the kids. I didn't want to come off as a jerk. Much happier now that everyone seems to be in agreement. I idea of it and the excitements from a new dad's perspective is completely understandable. My daughter was 2 days old when the Bills played on MNF and I have pictures of me holding her up my the TV screen. Taking the kids to games is awesome when the situation is right and they are ready to handle it.

This thread is hilarious.........a bunch of people who don't go to preseason games telling a single dad that it's going to be too much work to watch his kids all day.........and that people will resent him bringing his kids when the stadium is full of parents with kids and even kids groups on ticket giveaways......and that it will be raucous with lot's of drunks and F bombs.

This thread is hilarious.........a bunch of people who don't go to preseason games telling a single dad that it's going to be too much work to watch his kids all day.........and that people will resent him bringing his kids when the stadium is full of parents with kids and even kids groups on ticket giveaways......and that it will be raucous with lot's of drunks and F bombs.

I, myself, wasn't saying that at all. I still think lugging two 2 year old children to a game (even preseason) is not a trip to Disney. If he does, I will await an update and be first to send a hearty high five to that daddy.