Astro-Notes: 7-27-17 First Practice

Why would they do that? If people are heading out to watch TC, they generally want to support their team. That would be counter-intuitive to those fine folks.

You might want to do some detective work determining who shoved the pickle up your keester this early in the season.

last line. Post of the day!!!

Glad to hear about the fast pace, sounds like a real football training camp. Thanks for the reports.

What I was thinking

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Astro - great notes as always. Thanks for the detail. I wanted to share my observations about tonight's practice as well:

1. The pace of practice was much faster than any I remember in recent years. It seemed like everyone had a similar amount of reps by the end of the night. There was constant movement and no one walked from drill to drill. I was impressed by always having two groups going at once. By the end of the night - all of those defensive blue jersey's had turned a dark navy shade after all the sweat.

2. Best hands of the night award - Daikiel Shorts! He did not drop a ball thrown at him all night - including a very high sideline grab from Petermen. Also had the best catch of the night in my opinion over the middle on a rope thrown by Petermen (more on him below). Keep your eye on Shorts - if he consistently performs like tonight he might be the diamond in the rough.

3. Petermen had some good throws and many bad ones - he was inconsistent. his arm looks very average - but he did zip some 7-10 yards. Yates is solidly number 2 right now.

4. Some new drills this year - including the DB's running laterally in tandem while playing catch with tennis balls. Darby had difficulty at first with this drill. Power and Hyde were very good at it.

5. Keep your eye on Croom for backup TE - he had some nice looks.

6. Starting LB's - Humber (Sam) Brown (Mike) Alexander (Will) - Hodges and Ragland ran with the two's.

7. No punting - wanted to see the UDFA was bummed. Haushka has a nice leg - hit every kick attempted with ease.

8. White and Jones look to be very nice acquisitions.

Go Bills.

Agree big-time on Daikiel Shorts. He's Zay Jones Lite!

Hope to see you in the far right corner tomorrow!

How did Gerald Hodges look? Feel he is a very under the radar addition who will give us a good starter.

Didn't notice Hodges...Ragland, yes.

Did anyone boo when Taylor and the other QBs came out?

Watkins got the most applause, Tyrod second, Shady third.

Apparently, you don't know this fanbase very well. All it takes is one bad practice/pre-season game from Taylor and the front page will be littered with 2018 mock drafts with scenarios on how to trade up to 1st overall to get a QB.

Says he with his 74th post to the guy with 52,000.

We had a gutter-gusher of a rainstorm in the early afternoon, so I wasn't sure I'd be taking my wife and grand kids out to the Bills' first practice tonight, but this is a new GM, a new Head Coach, and new OC/DC. The weather gods cooperated and it was a great beginning for the undefeated 2017 Bills.

Out earliest on the field were Walt Powell, Joe Banyard, Cedric O'Neal, and Jonathan Williams. Nick O'Leary was playing catch with an asst coach on the sidelines while Banyard and Williams tossed the pigskin around. Jordan Mills is being stretched by a trainer. The QBs begin coming in, with TJ Yates appearing first. We notice that the kickers also are wearing red--Hauschka, Rehow, and Schmidt. My wife pronounces that the WRs who are wearing white tights look too girly-girl, especially against the green Astro Turf. I remind her why it's called "Astro" turf. I'll be making the main portion of comments.

Powell is first to catch punts from the JUGS machine. The punt returners were Powell, Philly Brown, Rashad Ross. The kick returners were Brandon Tate, Rashad Ross, and Philly Brown, in that order.

There is an urgency for players emerging late from the field house to trot (more like canter) as we near 5:30. You feel the urgency.

On The Dot, right exactly at 5:30, the air horn sounds and players immediately begin kickoff drill. Like within 30 seconds. Hauschka got first kick, but Rehkow also got work. Best blocks on KR were Ryan Davis, Nick O'Leary. We see McDowell high-five BT Sanders as he says something to him.

Period 2 is Stretching. Players seem to know EXACTLY what to do, even the precise order of stretches. There is a brisker pace, with the end of one stretch melding right into the next. The music is louder. The bass is louder still. The offense is to my right, moving left with each stretch, closer and closer to the defense. My grandson, age 10, remarks that 79 doesn't seem to be putting his whole self into the stretches. He's picked out Jordan Mills. Players that seem to be putting it out there included Cordy Glenn (PHEW!), the new OL #71, Watkins, and Banyard. A shout-out to Anthony Harrell who sprints when the last stretch is done...he just went in the wrong direction toward the offensive positional drills.

Positional Drills began within 25 SECONDS of the end of stretches. #33 (who I'm assuming is Rambo) is over working the ropes with a trainer, possibly in his PT test. Cedric O'Neal is impressing me. He's agile, and really sticks his moves; I have underestimated him. The QBs are in the middle of the field practicing their play-action fakes--either throwing the swing pass after faking to a back, or handing off then faking the pass. Yates impresses the most right now with his eye manipulation. The TEs are working at the near sideline, with O'Leary and Clay demonstrating as the #1s, with Croom-Towbridge trying it, while Logan Thomas and Wes Saxton watch....Later on, the order of appearance is Clay, O'Leary, Thomas, and Croom. I think they're the top four TEs right now, although Towbridge seemed to acquit himself well tonight. It's early.

Players run to the next play constantly. "Brisk" is the best word for it, but in an orderly way.

Some QB-WR combinations that worked well in positionals were Tyrod to Zay, Tyrod to Sammy, Tyrod to Brandon Reilly (who digs into his break better than any, gaining separation --good for WCO timing routes), and Tyrod to Dez Lewis, who was noticeably improved. I wonder why Walt Powell is getting so much work. He won't even count toward the 53. Wood is standing with Groy a lot. I think he's the heir apparent when Wood's contract is up next year

In the 11 on 11s, Yates always comes after Tyrod and before Peterman. . The first team trots out. and it's Mils, Miller, Wood, Incognito, Glenn, a pair of TEs (Clay-O'LEary), MCCoy the single back, and Watkins-Holmes as WRs. First into that mix were Jonathan Williams, Zay Jones, and Jason Croom,. with Banyard-Tolbert-Powell in after them.

On the sidelines, Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer are moving down the sidelines tossing 2 tennis balls back and forth at the same time. The eye-hand coordination is otherworldly. Darby's doing the same with an asst coach. Poyer's taller and lankier than I thought. They are now turning around at the last minute to catch a fairly-fast-thrown football.

On the field, Rashad Ross fakes inside, then dekes to the boundary, fooling everybody. IF he can catch, he's already better than Goodwin.

Shaq Lawson is my defensive feature player. He and the other DL are practicing a pretty savage under move, lifting the would be Tackle's outside shoulder. In the 11 on 11's that come next, he just abuses Mills and he and Dareus are in on Tyrod lightning fast.

Hughes is offsides on the second 11 on 11 play. The OL is able to hold off the intense DL pressure on the next play, but Tyrod has nobody to throw to. The fourth play is a completion to Tolbert, probaably my offensive feature player. Tolbert makes an awkward catch while backpedaling out of bounds. He makes more nice grabs later.

Yates comes in, and hands off You note Jonathan Williams' shiftiness on a nice long run. He's more North and South than Shady, but that may be a good thing. On the second Yates play, Ryan davis scoops aup a ball going the other way, running it down to the end zone. Eddie Yarbrough comes in at DE as the substitute Lorenzo, I believe.

Peterman comes in. You notice the downfield vision, and his first pass is a long one ti Daikiel Shorts. Peterman's handoff to Jordan Johnson shows us that Johnson can get lower than Shady or Jon Williams, and relies on patience and blocks unfolding in front of him. The DL looks stout, certainly a strength along the starters, but even some nice work from Nigel Williams and Jerel Worthy. Yarbrough also was noticed. The DBs are moving all over pre-snap.

Fluidly, the team goes back into positional drills. Jason Croom drops a sure catch by taking his eyes off of it. Dez Lewis runs nice routes and secures the catch; you can tell he's been working hard off-season.

Some Looks:

-Watkins looks healed and slippery.

-Streater looks spindly, loping, and Lofton-like.

-Clay looks healthy, sure-handed, and unfazed.

Reilly looks quick to turn upfield, quick and agile.

Daikiel Shorts looks skilled with his hand.

Zay looks fast, but could use some weight-room work on them spindles for legs. He's taller than I expected.

Towbridge looks the part over the middle.

Jon Williams looks like the love-child of Shady and Karlos.

In the second 11 on 11, Ducasse and Dawkins are able to hold off serious D-Line pressure. Holmes looks disappointing on an incompletion deep, and gets dinged up on a second deep pass. PReston Brown mixes it up with the defense (didn't catch the guy's number), and Yates throws a sweet 30-yarder to Zay Jones. Yep, he'll be all right. Banyard shows some agility but the defense (especially the line) isn't giving them anything between the tackles. Dawkins will be all thaqt Mills can handle; I noticed Dawkins having his way more than Mills was. Jordan Johnson is one feisty RB. Peterman threw a little high on a great rollout to Towbridge. Peterman was INT'd on a tip right into the hands of Charles James, and Tre White scoops up a loose ball. Nice swing pass to Shady nexts a long run, with Ramon Humber too far inside. Nigel Williams looked good on a defensive stop, we had another false start (this one's on the OL). Yates threw a spot pass to a spot on the field, but nobody (Jeremy Butler?) was close by. Ragland was calling the D signals by now. Petrerman threw a bomb to Rashad Ross, pretty nice throw, but incomplete. Another bomb to Holmes falls incomplete and Holmes leaves the field and gets looked at. Yates throws a pass behind Banyard, a bowling ball shaped back. He catches it. Croom recovers his own fumble ond then snares a Peterman pass; he looks good. Tolbert, my offensive player of the day, looks especially good on the edge after catching a pass from Peterman, I'd have called PI on Marcus Sayles for the second to last pass; he was all over Butler. The last play in 11 on 11 was the best, a Peterman-to-DiMarco deep completion, which drew the most applause.

I left after that, as it looked like the grandkids had had enough.

Hope you have, too. I'll see you tomorrow.

-Astro

Thanks Astro. Much appreciated!

Great stuff. Thanks so much.

Great to hear that Shaq Lawson is looking good.

Quick question. Was Peterman's INT off a tip by the DL or off the CB's hands or the WR's hands, or what?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Thurman#1

Good stuff. Thanks Astro. This is my first year reading your reported I must say I really enjoyed it. Well written. Made me Alamogordo feel like I was there.

So Mills didn't look too good from the sound of it? I sure hope he either greatly improves from last year, or Dawkins relegates him to backup duty...

Daikiel Shorts WR 6'1 202 4.57 wow I know about him now

Every successful football team has at least one “Mr. Reliable.” Mr. Reliable is the guy that whenever the ball is sent his way, he makes the right play. He seldom makes mistakes, and the coach points to him when a big play is needed.

During their 10-win 2016, West Virginia fans probably could have pointed to a few of their Mountaineers for this title. More often than not, though, Daikiel Shorts’s name would be brought up first.

Take this statistic, for example: in the Mountaineers’ first two games, Shorts caught 14 passes—only one of which was NOT for a touchdown or a first down. Can you say “efficient?”

Edited by ALF

Ahh...one of my favorite times of the year. Ranks Rastro!

eball, Plezmd1 wins the under!

Mrs. Rastro is right, the WR's look like girly-girls. She should chime in with her observations as well!

Ranks, Rastro!

:)

Astro - great notes as always. Thanks for the detail. I wanted to share my observations about tonight's practice as well:

1. The pace of practice was much faster than any I remember in recent years. It seemed like everyone had a similar amount of reps by the end of the night. There was constant movement and no one walked from drill to drill. I was impressed by always having two groups going at once. By the end of the night - all of those defensive blue jersey's had turned a dark navy shade after all the sweat.

2. Best hands of the night award - Daikiel Shorts! He did not drop a ball thrown at him all night - including a very high sideline grab from Petermen. Also had the best catch of the night in my opinion over the middle on a rope thrown by Petermen (more on him below). Keep your eye on Shorts - if he consistently performs like tonight he might be the diamond in the rough.

3. Petermen had some good throws and many bad ones - he was inconsistent. his arm looks very average - but he did zip some 7-10 yards. Yates is solidly number 2 right now.

4. Some new drills this year - including the DB's running laterally in tandem while playing catch with tennis balls. Darby had difficulty at first with this drill. Power and Hyde were very good at it.

6. Starting LB's - Humber (Sam) Brown (Mike) Alexander (Will) - Hodges and Ragland ran with the two's.

7. No punting - wanted to see the UDFA was bummed. Haushka has a nice leg - hit every kick attempted with ease.

Go Bills.

Thanks as well!

The fans don't want Taylor, Yates or Peterman, though. They want Darnold or Allen.

Knock it off with the crusade. Consider yourself warned.

Go Bills.

Nanks, NYNole

Great stat! It's why I call him Zay Jones Lite. Shorts is likely battling with Reilly for PS or WR6, but moving the chains is so important in WCO that we could see Shorts edge out guys like Walt Powell and Dez Lewis. He's likely the slot position but he ran from out wide several times last night. Will pay attention to where they play today.

Daikiel Shorts WR 6'1 202 4.57 wow I know about him now

Every successful football team has at least one “Mr. Reliable.” Mr. Reliable is the guy that whenever the ball is sent his way, he makes the right play. He seldom makes mistakes, and the coach points to him when a big play is needed.

During their 10-win 2016, West Virginia fans probably could have pointed to a few of their Mountaineers for this title. More often than not, though, Daikiel Shorts’s name would be brought up first.

Take this statistic, for example: in the Mountaineers’ first two games, Shorts caught 14 passes—only one of which was NOT for a touchdown or a first down. Can you say “efficient?”

http://westvirginia.247sports.com/Bolt/2017-Eers-in-the-NFL-Draft-Profile-Daikiel-Shorts-52169137

I want you to know that when I saw your thread, I went and heated up my coffee, came back to my desk and clicked on it.

I sat back and sipped my coffee reading your notes. I felt like I was there.

Thanks to a great start to my day

CBF

Rookie move, CBF, quoting the entire post. Common man!

Hey Astro (or NY Nole) - did JWill look any quicker on his feet than he did last year? I know you said he looked like the love child of Shady and Karlos :lol: but I wasn't sure if that meant he looked fat and high with dehydrated hammies. Thanks!!!

Edited by YoloinOhio

Hey Astro (or NY Nole) - did JWill look any quicker on his feet than he did last year? I know you said he looked like the love child of Shady and Karlos :lol: but I wasn't sure if that meant he looked fat and high with dehydrated hammies. Thanks!!!

He definitely looked like he had more in his step to me. Hit the hole hard and emerged from the congestion with some authority. Admittedly, they were only in their shells and shorts -- but he looks like a legit #2.

Great stat! It's why I call him Zay Jones Lite. Shorts is likely battling with Reilly for PS or WR6, but moving the chains is so important in WCO that we could see Shorts edge out guys like Walt Powell and Dez Lewis. He's likely the slot position but he ran from out wide several times last night. Will pay attention to where they play today.

So would you say that Jeremy Butler is a long shot to make the team?

He definitely looked like he had more in his step to me. Hit the hole hard and emerged from the congestion with some authority. Admittedly, they were only in their shells and shorts -- but he looks like a legit #2.

If he looks good in shorts he is gonna look even better when the pads come on because of his playing style.

I am firmly in the Jon Williams camp.....he just needs to hold onto the ball