Will anyone actually admit to leaving the Oilers game early?

On the old BBMB and here as well The Comeback comes up as a favorite game for us fans. Deservedly so.

I've never actually seen though on any of these boards someone admitting to leaving early and not coming back because the game looked futile. Will anyone own up to it?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in a box with my dad.

Pizza, wings, peanuts, snacks, booze.

I wasn't going anywhere.

Added bonus: a douche someone had invited didn't like the bills and had bet $5000 against them, if memory serves. He was a prick all through the first half, to men and women in the box and mocking everyone.

I can't even describe to you my schadnfreude as things turned in the second. I'm not kidding you when I say that after Nate's pick he was in tears...tears.

I enjoyed that almost as much as the comeback itself.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

I wanted to turn the TV off, but my dad (a Cowboys fan) wouldn't let me. He said, "you never know." Man, was he right.

I had to listen to it on the radio, it was blacked out.

Me and my Dad left to run some errands during the first half, thinking that it was over for sure. Turned it back in in the second half and listened to the rest.

My buddy wanted to leave at the end of the first half but I wanted to stay and applaud them at the end of the game for a nice two year run. Figured the game was over. Never expected them to come back. My alterior motive inadvertently paid off. What a game.

So..........not yet.

I was with family at a friends and the deal was we watch the Bills game. He wanted to switch to Kentucky basketball but I sent him to his bedroom to watch. Remember it clearly.

Many left the stadium while the Oilers had the large lead; Reich saw "a big wave of people leaving", which Buffalo News reporter Vic Carucci described as "they're pouring out of the gates, getting in their cars, driving home". They returned when they heard on the radio of the Bills' comeback; tickets did not permit reentry, so people climbed fences until the stadium reopened the gates. Team general manager Bill Polian recalled how the same fans who had left in disgust after denouncing to him the Bills' inability to beat the Oilers, ran back to their seats praising the team. Kelly said, "the old saying was, 'Did you know that 150,000 people went to the Buffalo Bills football game?'", Levy said "70,000 people were at that game. I've already met 400,000 of them", and Steve Tasker joked "I've met 1.2 million people who say they were in the stadium".

A buddy and I were driving back to Western NY from a wedding in Virginia. He was an Eagles fan and most people won't recall, but the Eagles played the Saints in the afternoon game that day. So we agreed he'd drive while the Bills were on the radio, and I'd drive while the Eagles played.

After the early 3rd quarter TD by Houston put them up 31-3 (I think?) I disgustedly turned off the radio and we stopped to get gas. After we filled up, I told him I might as well start driving since the Bills game was effectively over. After a while, I couldn't stand it any more and turned the radio back on. I heard the crowd roaring and Van Miller say that Reich was dropping back to pass and "Touchdown!" (I can't recall if it was Reed or maybe Beebe) but anyway it was like 31-17 now so I left the radio on.

As the game wound down and Norwood lined up to kick the eventual game winner I found myself almost unable to drive and had slowed down to 20 mph on the interstate. My friend told me to pull over before we got killed. I pulled to a stop along the side of the highway as the kick went through the uprights and Van made his call. I got out of the car and ran around it a few times to let off some energy.

Interestingly, and somewhat forgotten to history, the Eagles made a great two touchdown 4th quarter comeback in the second game to win as well, making both of us quite happy that day.

A buddy and I were driving back to Western NY from a wedding in Virginia. He was an Eagles fan and most people won't recall, but the Eagles played the Saints in the afternoon game that day. So we agreed he'd drive while the Bills were on the radio, and I'd drive while the Eagles played.

After the early 3rd quarter TD by Houston put them up 31-3 (I think?) I disgustedly turned off the radio and we stopped to get gas. After we filled up, I told him I might as well start driving since the Bills game was effectively over. After a while, I couldn't stand it any more and turned the radio back on. I heard the crowd roaring and Van Miller say that Reich was dropping back to pass and "Touchdown!" (I can't recall if it was Reed or maybe Beebe) but anyway it was like 31-17 now so I left the radio on.

As the game wound down and Norwood lined up to kick the eventual game winner I found myself almost unable to drive and had slowed down to 20 mph on the interstate. My friend told me to pull over before we got killed. I pulled to a stop along the side of the highway as the kick went through the uprights and Van made his call. I got out of the car and ran around it a few times to let off some energy.

Interestingly, and somewhat forgotten to history, the Eagles made a great two touchdown 4th quarter comeback in the second game to win as well, making both of us quite happy that day.

Christie

Many left the stadium while the Oilers had the large lead; Reich saw "a big wave of people leaving", which Buffalo News reporter Vic Carucci described as "they're pouring out of the gates, getting in their cars, driving home". They returned when they heard on the radio of the Bills' comeback; tickets did not permit reentry, so people climbed fences until the stadium reopened the gates. Team general manager Bill Polian recalled how the same fans who had left in disgust after denouncing to him the Bills' inability to beat the Oilers, ran back to their seats praising the team. Kelly said, "the old saying was, 'Did you know that 150,000 people went to the Buffalo Bills football game?'", Levy said "70,000 people were at that game. I've already met 400,000 of them", and Steve Tasker joked "I've met 1.2 million people who say they were in the stadium".

Great article. Exactly, I mean everyone that left just came back later that day, lol

I do really recall that Eagles game as well. I always say Rich Kotite was able to get the Eagles deeper in the playoffs then Buddy

I was traveling and had the radio on, and turned it off somewhere in Georgia. However, I had preset my VCR before the trip. Got home and found out they were in overtime. got to see Christie kick the game winner, then sat back to watch the entire second half.

I was traveling and had the radio on, and turned it off somewhere in Georgia. However, I had preset my VCR before the trip. Got home and found out they were in overtime. got to see Christie kick the game winner, then sat back to watch the entire second half.

That was the good half. Believe me!

So it isn't the comeback game or even an NFL game but I have a story about the mistake of leaving a game early.....

26th May 1989...... Anfield, Liverpool, UK

It was the final game of the English Football (soccer) League season - this was in the days before the Premier League. Reigning champions Liverpool led the league by 3 points. To overhaul them their opponents, 2nd placed Arsenal, needed to win by two clear goals. Liverpool hadn't lost at home by 2 clear goals in over 3 years and Arsenal hadn't won at Anfield since 1974. It is the only time in modern English football history that the season has ended with a game between 1st and 2nd place.

At half time the score was 0-0 but early in the second half Alan Smith got the merest of flick headers to a wide free kick and diverted it into the corner of the Liverpool net to give Arsenal a 1-0 lead. Arsenal then started to take control and created two very good chances to get the second goal but missed them. My dad's best friend and best man had managed to get a ticket in the Arsenal visitors end of the stadium with his brother. With 5 minutes remaining he looked at his brother and said "I can't face this... our best chance of winning the league in 18 years I can't stand here and watch all these Liverpool fans celebrate at the end" (in those days it was customary because of fan trouble for visiting fans to be "locked in" for up to an hour after a game while the home fans get a chance to get away from the stadium.)

So with 5 minutes to go they walked out. In added time at the end of the 90 Arsenal scored...... arguably the most famous goal in English Football League history. History had been made. My dad's best friend and his brother got back to their car and turned the radio on just in time to hear the roar as the Arsenal captain lifted the trophy.

NEVER. LEAVE. EARLY.

I was there with my dad and two friends in the next to last row of the upper deck on the visitor's side, so we saw the fans leaving as we looked out the back of the stadium. I don't know how many fans left, but at the end of the game the stands were full.

I was there with my dad and two friends in the next to last row of the upper deck on the visitor's side, so we saw the fans leaving as we looked out the back of the stadium. I don't know how many fans left, but at the end of the game the stands were full.

Very true, the stands were packed towards the end of the game, more so than the beginning which tells me people without tickets started hopping the fence too. I was in the last row of the upperdeck with my one friend on the Bills side, There were these 2 girls next to us & all they did was complain. They were even complaining about the marching band at halftime. Towards the end of the game we were high fiving them & hugging them. We ended up going back to their apartment off of southwestern after the game. Lets just say that memory of that night still has a close place in my heart. Good day followed by an even better night.

Edited by Gordio

My dad wanted to leave (which he never does). It was halftime and there was like 12-14 of us. I actually didn't sit in our regular seats I was in the scoreboard end zone with the son of a family friend. I was 11 and he was like 16. The rest of the group was in the regular seats in H-2. At any rate, my little brother convinced my dad to stay a little while longer, so the group did. We ended up staying through the entire game. I know that everyone says that but it's the truth.

This is why beer is your friend. Only reason brother and I stayed were the 4 beers each below our seats. 28-3, I was still believing, 35-3 I was out without the beers there. Plus I had driven the 7 hours from DC, so where was I going?

I have left two games early were significant plays happened after I left and I somewhat regrett

1) Left a bit before the Beebe/Lett play, just could not stomach anymore and wanted to get decent bar seats in Pasadena

2) Opener against the Rams in 92. Bills were up by a ton in the 3rd quarter, it was a beautiful day, I was out of beer, so I left in the middle of the 3rd. Lofton sets career yardage record in the 4th.

my grandpa left at halftime and on the way home heard the comeback and turned around and tried to get back into the stadium and they weren't letting anyone in. he saw guys trying to jump the fence. the game was blacked out and you could only listen to it on the radio. that was probably the first and last time in my life i can remember my whole family huddled around the radio like that

1) thank god for Van Miller

2) can you believe that a Bills home playoff game wasn't sold out?

3) great game, Frank Reich was like our Jimmy Garappolo

Edited by kdiggz

2) Opener against the Rams in 92. Bills were up by a ton in the 3rd quarter, it was a beautiful day, I was out of beer, so I left in the middle of the 3rd. Lofton sets career yardage record in the 4th.

That was my first game with season tickets. Magic Johnson roamed the Rams sidelines that day.

I distinctly remember Lofton catching that ball.

Can't believe I didn't get cheap Oilers wild-card tickets that day........AND then not put in for the SB ticket that I could have sold for $$$$.

I was with my dad and my 2 friends 2 rows below me left....I have never and WILL never let them forget that they left....ever.

The question is, do they tell others they left? I bet they don't.

I watched the entire game on television. I never entertained the thought of turning the game off, even after the 3rd quarter Interception for a Touchdown.

I figured it was going to be the last time I would see the Bills for months. Living in California we did not get many Bills games aired on local television.

I never dreamed that they would come back, but I will never forget it.

Yes, that Saints-Eagles game was very good and exciting. It just got overshadowed by the greatest comeback of all-time.

The question is, do they tell others they left? I bet they don't.

You're absolutely right because I had to bust him when I heard him talking about that being one of the best games he ever attended. I had to jump in the conversation and say...yeah, too bad you never saw the comeback though!

Being in Buffalo and not at the game I admit to turning the radio off after the 2nd half interception returned for a TD. Of course I got bored so turned it back on and even was able to see the final part of the comeback because the game ran long and somehow the last minutes of the game got shown on local tv despite the blackout rules.

My dad wanted to leave (which he never does). It was halftime and there was like 12-14 of us. I actually didn't sit in our regular seats I was in the scoreboard end zone with the son of a family friend. I was 11 and he was like 16. The rest of the group was in the regular seats in H-2. At any rate, my little brother convinced my dad to stay a little while longer, so the group did. We ended up staying through the entire game. I know that everyone says that but it's the truth.

I too sat in the scoreboard end zone that day, instead of my usual seat in I-3.

Do you remember the sole Oilers fan about three rows up from the field making a complete fool of himself early into the 3rd quarter. He was such a jerk we had to work hard to control our rising anger, then suddenly all our focus was directed elsewhere (the field). After the game, with big smiles, all ten of us made a point to extend "great game" greetings to the guy. It made the comeback all the more enjoyable.

I too sat in the scoreboard end zone that day, instead of my usual seat in I-3.

Do you remember the sole Oilers fan about three rows up from the field making a complete fool of himself early into the 3rd quarter. He was such a jerk we had to work hard to control our rising anger, then suddenly all our focus was directed elsewhere (the field). After the game, with big smiles, all ten of us made a point to extend "great game" greetings to the guy. It made the comeback all the more enjoyable.

I was probably 20-25 rows back and the memories are a little vague. I just remember the entire crowd throwing confetti and embracing as they took the lead. I feel like most of the people near me were still there.

I had just started dating a girl, a non-sports fan who invited herself over to watch the game. I honestly didn't want her to come over because I wasn't ready to show her the crazy sports fan side of me yet, but she did. Watching me get so upset over a football game (I was 22 at the time) had to be uncomfortable for her. To her credit, she hung in there and after the pick 6 that made it 35-3, she offered up a gem only a person who knows nothing about football could say: "It's only the third quarter. They could still come back." My instinct was to tell her she was f'in' nuts but I bit my lip, took a deep breath and said, "If we win this game, I'll marry you."

We celebrated our 23rd anniversary earlier this year.

Side note: 20 years after THE GREATEST COMEBACK EVER, my wife and I were at the Colts-Chiefs playoff game when Indy came back from 28 down in the third quarter to win 45-44. Naturally, we talked about the Bills-Oilers game at halftime and throughout the second half.

I was like 12 or 13 and it was only on the radio. We went out at halftime to play street hockey (I was Gretzky on my street) & talked about how the Bills are a bunch of losers (little did I know what these 17 years would look like). Well my mom came running out and telling us they were coming back. I thought it was just replays!

And to think we didn't even sell out playoff games back then!