Have you ever rooted for the Pats to win a SuperBowl?

True...I will say this..when NE is in the SB, the games are usually entertaining...I remember the one in 2003 vs Carolina...that was a heck of a game..Seatte, Atlanta of course...that 1st one vs the Rams...all very good games...the 2 vs the Giants were also entertaining...the only only I can think of that was not special was in 2004 when they beat the Eagles...or when they got destroyed by Chicago in the 80's...

Yep. I love watching them play all year, every year, actually. I don't root for them unless I think they should win AND it's after the Bills are already eliminated.

When it comes to post-season in NFL and MLB - for me, I want the team who deserves to win the most, to win. I root for the best two teams to make it to the championship game/series, then root for the team who I think deserves to be crowned as the best.

If it happens to be the Pats*, then so be it.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never

I've never even rooted for them to win a regular season game.

This past Super Bowl was the 1st one I haven't watched since 1970. I had no desire to watch them win another and if they make it again this year, it'll be 2 straight I haven't watched. Watching them twice a year vs our Bills is all I'll watch them in any given season.

I don't see how anyone could have cheered on the Pats in a SB. Maybe the one against the Packers? But who didn't already hate Bledsoe and Coates? Watching Desmond Howard torch them was great. Screw em.

Yes wanted them to win vs Packers w Bledsoe and first Super Bowl after 9-11 with Brady. (I still blame Parcells for taking away a chance to win with Bledsoe with all his hemming and hawing about his job status, during Super Bowl week it was all about Parcells.)

Of course this was all pre cheating info available so I would not have rooted for them had I known about the cheating.

Edited by cba fan

What is this, a Confession Thread? Forgive Father for I have sinned..

Yes, same game for me. Pats* were new to it and got there by the tuck rule. Rams seemed unstoppable. But this was immediately following 9/11 -w/ U2 as the halftime act and Paul McCartney the Opening Act. Announcers asked Sir Paul at halftime who he liked. He said (paraphrasing) in light of 9/11 it would be great if a team named the Patriots could win.

That sold me.

Sir Paul forgot 1776?

....specifically the Pats?...no but as an old (very old) AFL guy going back to the 60's in the days of the then BOSTON Patriots, Babe Parilli, Gino Capellettii, Nicky B (eventual 'Fin), Harry Jacobs (eventual Bill), etc., always pull for the then AFL/now AFC team.....old habits never die..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

When they played the Packers in 1997 and against the Rams, only because I wanted an AFC team to win the Superbowl. I regret it as well.

Yup. My two most hated teams are the Patriots and Seahawks. Superbowl 49 sucked.

1985 vs da' Bears.

Me too. And also vs Seattle (grudgingly). I absolutely can't root for Pete Carroll and Richard Sherman. The look on Sherman's face when NE picked off that pass in the end zone was probably worth seeing NE win the game....

Edited by vincec

It pains me to admit it but I rooted for them in both Giant Super Bowls. Living in central NY I'm surrounded by Giants fans. I have a strong disdain for the Pats, but at the time I didn't personally know any Pats fans. The Pats winning would have been much easier than hearing how great Eli and the Giants were everyday.

It pains me to admit it but I rooted for them in both Giant Super Bowls. Living in central NY I'm surrounded by Giants fans. I have a strong disdain for the Pats, but at the time I didn't personally know any Pats fans. The Pats winning would have been much easier than hearing how great Eli and the Giants were everyday.

It's worse when your brothers and Step-Father are all hardcore Giants fans. When I hear "don't worry will take care of the Pats for you." It turns into a drunken master parody.

The Giants SuperBowls I didn't root for the Patriots but I wouldn't have been upset if they won. Yeah a lot of them in the NY/NJ Metro Area can be quite obnoxious (Giants fans).

Admittedly in 2001 I did versus the Rams because they were the underdogs. I regret it now.

Same here.

I pull for pats* injuries every Sunday.

We all secretly hope for another Brady knee injury, the Skycam to crash onto Belicheat, or whatever nobody WR they just signed who plays like a pro bowler to get struck by lightning as he get comically wide open again.

Hell, I've hoped Patty the Patriot trips over the sideline or those dudes with the muskets backfire into their face

I've never wished prosperity on any AFCE division rival. Heck, I even disliked the Colts when they were in the division.

This, and only this.

It's worse when your brothers and Step-Father are all hardcore Giants fans. When I hear "don't worry will take care of the Pats for you." It turns into a drunken master parody.

I had similar experiences with some of my friends. I heard a lot of obnoxious comments like "Sucks to be a Bills fan, those guys are pathetic. Why don't you root for the Giants with me?"

The Giants SuperBowls I didn't root for the Patriots but I wouldn't have been upset if they won. Yeah a lot of them in the NY/NJ Metro Area can be quite obnoxious (Giants fans).

Giants fans seem to think they have one of the great Super Bowl era franchises. I understand that wins are wins, but they fail to understand how lucky they are. The Giants won three Super Bowls they had no business winning.

Yep. I love watching them play all year, every year, actually. I don't root for them unless I think they should win AND it's after the Bills are already eliminated.

When it comes to post-season in NFL and MLB - for me, I want the team who deserves to win the most, to win. I root for the best two teams to make it to the championship game/series, then root for the team who I think deserves to be crowned as the best.

If it happens to be the Pats*, then so be it.

Ok- so you're above the fray.

Did you root for the Dolphins in their perfect season too?

Ok- so you're above the fray.

Did you root for the Dolphins in their perfect season too?

I was one.

And I can't stand Don Shula, so if I was old enough, I would not have rooted for them.

What is this fray of which you speak?

I was once a patriots fan. Before Billchieck

say 2 hail mary's and an act of contrition.

You are forgiven.

I was one.

And I can't stand Don Shula, so if I was old enough, I would not have rooted for them.

What is this fray of which you speak?

It takes a special person to do what you do.

say 2 hail mary's and an act of contrition.

You are forgiven.

It takes a special person to do what you do.

I'm a fan of the Bills first; a fan of the game second.

When the Bills are out of it, I'm left to root for the best football possible that I can watch. For the past 16 years, that has included the Patriots*, and I don't mind.

Admittedly in 2001 I did versus the Rams because they were the underdogs. I regret it now.

Ditto. I was also tired of Kurt Warner and his whole "God assembled this team for a reason" thing.

Same here and I don't regret it. We just went through 9-11 and they were a symbol. This was before all the "gates" etc, their first superbowl.

I hate everything that the Patriots are, from Kraft down to the beer vendors.

Thing is, Patriots really sucked at one point. and no one cared about them.

Once Kraft took over the reins of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse, I too shunned the Evil beings.

Hail Mary ..

blessed are..

I command you to leave this earth Demons

By the power of