Bills kicking tires on a 1 year deal for Fred Jackson...FWIW

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting - I can see why it would be discussed. Not sure it will actually happen though

He looked a little slow in is last year with the Bills, but he was coming off injury. I posted this under Yolo's post cuz he seems to know a lot of the rules. My question is, if the Bills sign Fred to a vet min contract & then stash him on IR could he still be like a player coach & be around practices. The guy has a wealth of knowledge. If he had to activated for 3 or 4 games, I don't think his running would be as good as before but I think he could block & get open out of the back field to catch passes.

He looked a little slow in is last year with the Bills, but he was coming off injury. I posted this under Yolo's post cuz he seems to know a lot of the rules. My question is, if the Bills sign Fred to a vet min contract & then stash him on IR could he still be like a player coach & be around practices. The guy has a wealth of knowledge. If he had to activated for 3 or 4 games, I don't think his running would be as good as before but I think he could block & get open out of the back field to catch passes.

if possible, that's a great move.

"Moves like pouring water in a glass" One of Tasker's better sayings as a game commentator.

I actually like this saying for Fred. I almost understand it. He made yardage by slipping and sliding past the first one or two tackles and then falling forward.

Your ability to type in the English language is as suspect as your 4.0 GPA and F.Jax's playing again in Buffalo.

Besides the punctuation mentioned earlier, we can add capitalization and general lack of sentence structure to the list.

your ability to be able to decipher those who care and those who don't is pretty evident. it's not like I would be sitting at the dinner table and tonight's topic would be about a message board and their grammar police that seem inclined to always be correcting folks.

I decline your suggestion.

fred jackson is one of my all time favorites. the man has a serious fire. i know he is nearing the end, but...

what if freddy signs on for just one more year? what if he has enough left to give a few great effort runs, catches, and key blocks this year? what if the return of fred ex inspires some of our vets to give one last, great push? what if the passion for the game ignites a fire in the youngsters? what if his presence gives some of the emotionally unbalanced and dellusionally optimistic fans a little something extra to cheer for? what if...we win the whole...effing...thing?

Give him a look. If anything. he brings veteran presence to the locker room. Besides, he bleeds Buffalo colors, loves the city, loves the fan base, has been completely loyal to this team, and is one of the genuine good guys in the league.

Love the Bills for doing this. I hope Fred Ex has one more go at the field and proves all these "he's done" people wrong. I hope he rushes for 300-500 and catches for 200-400 as a backup. Dude could run, catch, and block. Let's see what he's got left.

Remember, he was an after-thought a long time ago and look what he did with the opportunity.

Not a joke.

At a vet minimum 1 year contract where's the harm in bringing him into camp?

If he is washed up, it will be clear pretty quickly and they can transition him into a "retirement" contract.

If he still has it, then we got a veteran backup with huge ties to the community.

Low risk, potentially high reward.

Not a joke.

At a vet minimum 1 year contract where's the harm in bringing him into camp?

If he is washed up, it will be clear pretty quickly and they can transition him into a "retirement" contract.

If he still has it, then we got a veteran backup with huge ties to the community.

Low risk, potentially high reward.

Where have you seen this ??? Same poster who said Maclin was signed. You people are easy.

Its just a rumor. R-E-L-A-X

He can still be a good 3rd down option for blocking duties or screens, which he excels at.

However, he offers nothing on special teams. Thats not good. We need ST'ers.

Its just a rumor. R-E-L-A-X

He can still be a good 3rd down option for blocking duties or screens, which he excels at.

However, he offers nothing on special teams. Thats not good. We need ST'ers.

Another one. Maybe he should bulk up and play guard.This place is unbileveable

My heart says yes, but my mind says it's probably too late. But I agree with others, bring him in at vet minimum, see what he has left---if nothing, he retires as a Bill.

Just spitballin' here. Yes, Fred is 36 and most RBs are long done before that age. But is it because of the age or more because of the pounding that running backs take?

If you are a speed runner, then by 36, that speed has probably diminished enough to make you pedestrian. But Freddie was never a speed guy. And if the pounding is the bigger problem for RBs, well because of Freddie's late start, he has actually taken less pounding than some other guys, so maybe his body isn't as beaten down. Plus he just had a whole year to recuperate. Just for instance:

Fred has 1,305 carries in his career

Shady has 1,898

Demarco Murray has 1,420

Jonathan Stewart has 1,501

LeGarette Blount 1,168

Matt Forte has 2,253

and Frank Gore (who does look beat down) has 2,965 career carries, well more than twice what Fred has

Maybe age does trump all, but who knows. As others have said, he is a beast at blitz pickup. We did give up a lot of sacks last year.

And he's great catching passes out of the backfield. And his running style is not built on speed, but rather smarts, vision, and angles.

It is probably just a pipe dream, but could you imagine if he did come back and still had enough left to solidly contribute for one more

season. Maybe make the playoffs and then retire as a Bill? I would love to see Freddie go out like that. But that's my heart talking again.

Edited by folz

For what it's worth (which is, of course, damned little), Fred Jackson my all-time, favorite player. That, probably, says everything this board needs to know about me.

All that being said. I have very mixed feelings about this.

If the "college" that gave you a 4.0 didn't teach you how to use question marks, I'm not sure you have anything to worry about. No reason to put a coat on if you're already wet.

<grammar, and collage is rated is! overrated & and a just time to fraternity party at @bars?

The issue with Fred isn't the number of carries he has logged, it's that he now looks like he's running through three feet of molasses with a 200-lb sled tied to his waist.

I suggest we save the cap money and cut Shady and sign Fredex and Tiki Barber as a combo back field.

now that is progressive thinking. We can spend the money on a 38 yr old QB and not have to worry about coach-ability.