RD 5, Pick 171: Nathan Peterman (QB) - Pitt

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone easily could have chosen Peterman in the 2nd round and none of the analysts would have blinked. This is a steal regardless of how his career turns out.

A steal how? because of perceived value - what if he never plays a down?

Everything about Peterman screams find in the 5th round except for the reports of not having a cannon

Do we have Tom Brady on our hands here?

It will be a minor miracle if he is a solid NFL starter. Brady? Lol... well even the Pats had no idea what TB would be so there's that. Those things don't happen twice in twenty years

COULD be a steal

If McD is not giving anyone the position he is gonna get a chance to make his case

I saw a stat on him that did excite me a bit.....accuracy under pressure. High with this one

I love how optimistic you always are....

Everyone's expertise on the Draft Class always cracks me up! Drafting is far from a science and the full time professionals at it are far, far from accurate in their assessments of the future NFL skill sets of these kids.

What I do know is that all 32 Teams need to get starting Quarterbacks from SOMEWHERE!! And at the rate that 1st Rounders appear to be flopping there are going to be some teams running a permanent Wild Cat! 😉

So Peterman? Why not?

I ask again, What?

A steal in the 5th/6th is Antonio Brown.

Not a difficult concept. "Steal" can be judged based on process-based or results-based criteria. For instance, OJ Howard at 19 is already a steal from a process-oriented perspective, as Tampa managed to select him significantly after all boards and ratings suggested. A steal, based on the information that was available at the time of the draft. Some other player might be judged to be a steal from a results-oriented perspective, once his career is significantly underway. Howard himself may eventually be judged to be more or less of a steal than currently thought. But none of that information was available at the time that the decisions were made. So steals of that nature are typically more luck-based, and therefore don't make much sense to focus on if an organization's goal is to sustain a record of excellent drafting.

All I know is that he has great pocket awareness and isn't afraid to step up into it and throw.

And his accuracy is a well documented strength with multiple scouts reporting that.

He isn't a gunslinger and does not have a cannon for an arm but we all know too damn well that you can carve up a D with short and accurate passes. Whatever moves the sticks.

Popgun arm. Career backup at best unless his arm strength improves significantly.

This is such a reactionary, non fact based, comment. His arm is plenty strong to make most if not all NFL throws. Just because you can't throw it 80 yards in the air, does not mean he has a "pop gun" arm.

This is such a reactionary, non fact based, comment. His arm is plenty strong to make most if not all NFL throws. Just because you can't throw it 80 yards in the air, does not mean he has a "pop gun" arm.

Can someone explain to me why, if what everyone everywhere seems to be saying, that he has all of these essential QB skills, the guy fell in the draft, and wasn't a first round pick? Everyone says he has great accuracy, leadership, anticipation, mobility, size, etc. There is only one answer to that. Popgun arm.

Can someone explain to me why, if what everyone everywhere seems to be saying, that he has all of these essential QB skills, the guy fell in the draft, and wasn't a first round pick? Everyone says he has great accuracy, leadership, anticipation, mobility, size, etc. There is only one answer to that. Popgun arm.

Groupthink?

Groupthink?

There is little groupthink in NFL draft. Opinions are all over the board all the time every year. So many people voice their opinions so you can get a consensus idea that a player is a or b or will be drafted at a certain time. But it's not a groupthink. It's like an aggregate.

It is not enough to say "Most NFL executives thought he wasn't worth picking so he sucks." My opinion of talent evaluators in the NFL couldn't be much lower than it already is. The Bears paid Mike Glennon a big contract and Brock Osweiler got a big contract. Meanwhile players like Carr and Wilson and Prescott fall down the board. I really don't know why Peterman fell as far as he did but NFL executives overexaggerate the importance of arm strength and size all the time so I'm guessing that's a good reason why.

Joe Montana made a pretty good career out of a weak but accurate arm.

....and as a 3rd rounder....went out to ND in 1976 for ND/Pitt........Dorsett ran wild (61 yd off tackle TD) and Joe was on IR....dammit.........had dinner at the Morris Inn....Browner and Fry came in to eat.....room got dark as those boyz were mammoth....back to Joe....four Lombardis ain't too bad........................

Why did Brady fall? Dak? Brees? Russell Wilson? Because these guys overthink crap and are wrong many times in their QB evaluations. If they were right, Every team would have a franchise QB by now.

And who the hell determines this guy has a weak arm? Peyton manning was regarded as having a weak arm coming out, Brady, Brees etal. Kid can make every throw, let him come to the NFL, work with an NFL Training staff and QB coach and watch as that weak arm mysteriously gets stronger.

Edited by KellyToughII

Why did Brady fall? Dak? Brees? Russell Wilson? Because these guys overthink crap and are wrong many times in their QB evaluations. If they were right, Every team would have a franchise QB by now.

And who the hell determines this guy has a weak arm? Peyton manning was regarded as having a weak arm coming out, Brady, Brees etal. Kid can make every throw, let him come to the NFL, work with an NFL Training staff and QB coach and watch as that weak arm mysteriously gets stronger.

It's the total sum of the parts. Scouts can see who has a better arm than others. It takes a lot more to play QB at a high level. Manning's arm was questioned , esp compared to Leaf, but everything else was off the charts. There was no doubt he was going to be the first or second pick. Scouts and personnel guys look at a player's potential for greatness and if they have the physical tools to increase their chances of reaching it. They will never be right in every instance. Even if they were right 100% of the time, it would not increase the supply of great QBs . No way for every team to have one. There just aren't many Montana's or Brady's out there. It's about odds and percentages, and some will defy the odds. Others will flop even with everything in their favor.

Only saw him play one game, the Clemson thriller. I am going to assume he is exactly that player and the Bills are now set at QB for a decade.

Show me the dad-gum baby!

Grip strength. Ball gets wet and that accuracy goes to ****.

Just watch his full game against Miami. Its on YouTube. Terrible.

It is not enough to say "Most NFL executives thought he wasn't worth picking so he sucks." My opinion of talent evaluators in the NFL couldn't be much lower than it already is. The Bears paid Mike Glennon a big contract and Brock Osweiler got a big contract. Meanwhile players like Carr and Wilson and Prescott fall down the board. I really don't know why Peterman fell as far as he did but NFL executives overexaggerate the importance of arm strength and size all the time so I'm guessing that's a good reason why.

And he got nothing but good press during Senior Bowl week as well. It's as if the evaluators remembered he lost the job to Dobbs at UT and never allowed him to recover in their eyes.

Grip strength. Ball gets wet and that accuracy goes to ****.

Just watch his full game against Miami. Its on YouTube. Terrible.

I watched the full game against Clemson. The Youtube with every pass play back to back to back. His best game ever. He threw over a dozen absolutely terrible balls. So many.

I watched the full game against Clemson. The Youtube with every pass play back to back to back. His best game ever. He threw over a dozen absolutely terrible balls. So many.

because every QB is perfect.

he went 22/37 with 5 TD's and 308 yards in that game so I guess all of his misses were the over dozen terrible balls you mentioned. I can live with that against the National Champions.