Bills decline to match Gillislee offer sheet

Why? It's obvious from Bills actions that they didn't value MG as the long term option, otherwise they would have made a bigger push for a long term extension. We'll soon find out why they are thinking this way.

But if their thought was to keep MG as a placeholder for a year or two, then adding a bargain vet is a better option than drafting an RB.

who is the bargain vet that you like at this point though?

Another fans opinion. Is this what it has come to? We're using other fans opinions to validate the opinion of someone else?

hes just uses friends and family as his expert shares on here. im excited for the day that he links to another post on here to back up his opinion.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you could take a shot at Blount. DeAngelo Williams. Starks. Those are veterans, and there will be God knows how many undrafted FAs and guys like MG out there that are drifting around. Or you can go to camp with the three guys on the roster right now, without even counting Tolbert, ad see what they give you. Would have liked to see MG stay but it's just not going to be that difficult to get another guy to take a little bit of the load off Shady.

And maybe the guy that grabs the job will know what to do with a kickoff (sarcasm off).

who is the bargain vet that you like at this point though?

hes just uses friends and family as his expert shares on here. im excited for the day that he links to another post on here to back up his opinion.

Well I know his opinions line up with what ever the Rochester writers are crying about. Seen that in action quite a bit.

Another fans opinion. Is this what it has come to? We're using other fans opinions to validate the opinion of someone else?

It's like when I turn on any News program and they start quoting Twitter Reactions. Why do I care what some nobody has to say at all, let alone on the anonymous stage of social media?

you normally have a good eye for players-- you think he makes it back to productive?

No idea...I did see (literally just now on PFT) that his agent posted a video of him doing running/cutting drills, so clearly he's working at it.

I would definitely kick the tires on him though.

I think you could take a shot at Blount. DeAngelo Williams. Starks. Those are veterans, and there will be God knows how many undrafted FAs and guys like MG out there that are drifting around. Or you can go to camp with the three guys on the roster right now, without even counting Tolbert, ad see what they give you. Would have liked to see MG stay but it's just not going to be that difficult to get another guy to take a little bit of the load off Shady.

And maybe the guy that grabs the job will know what to do with a kickoff (sarcasm off).

They'll wait til the smoke clears from the draft and see what else is out there. I can't see the need for a one year, washed up back, looking for his last contract just to stay in the game.

It's like when I turn on any News program and they start quoting Twitter Reactions. Why do I care what some nobody has to say at all, let alone on the anonymous stage of social media?

yea, and they are rarely insightful comments. i could buy sharing either high level trends that emerge across social media, or really great comments but most are @joefromgeorgia tweets "that policy sure is terrible"

So this means the rest of the AFC teams should not try and be as talented as they can be and make the playoffs. Why should the Bills try and retain a good player just because they have a slight chance to be a WC team.

Nope...not at all....look, is it nice that TD Mike is now with NE ?...No.......does it warrant the outrage of some of the fans on here.... no....MG is not the difference maker between the Bills making the playoffs vs not making it.....

Whatever record we end up with after 16 games, I believe it will be the same as it would have been with MG on the roster....

As I said a few times ( many other posters as well ), people's reaction would be completely different is the Lions or the Bucs had made that move.....but because it's NE, the Bills were " schooled again "....I don't think it's accurate....OBD put a value on MG and were not willing to pay more....it's that simple.....

No idea...I did see (literally just now on PFT) that his agent posted a video of him doing running/cutting drills, so clearly he's working at it.

I would definitely kick the tires on him though.

hard guy to bet against, but wrong side of 30, lots of touches and coming off injury does worry me just like a late pick as far as whether he can step up.

Nope...not at all....look, is it nice that TD Mike is now with NE ?...No.......does it warrant the outrage of some of the fans on here.... no....MG is not the difference maker between the Bills making the playoffs vs not making it.....

Whatever record we end up with after 16 games, I believe it will be the same as it would have been with MG on the roster....

As I said a few times ( many other posters as well ), people's reaction would be completely different is the Lions or the Bucs had made that move.....but because it's NE, the Bills were " schooled again "....I don't think it's accurate....OBD put a value on MG and were not willing to pay more....it's that simple.....

read this JM. this sums it up perfectly. to over react on the loss of mike just isn't worth the energy. would he have been nice to keep? sure ,but at the end of the day, this team hasn't changed because of the move.

Edited by teef

When historians write of the fall of Western civilization in this millennium, they will identify Twitter as the start of the end.

@RossTuckerNFL: So the Patriots preferred to give up a 5th Rd pick to pay Mike Gillislee more money ($4M year one) than Adrian Peterson?

Pretty strange when you put it that way. So bizarre they gave a division rival a free pick.

Edited by HappyDays

It's so ridiculous reading the general boards and seeing all of the comments about the Bills being the Pats farm club, and BB outsmarting everyone.

Has it occurred to anyone that this might work out for both teams?

People should go back and check the scouting on Jonathan Williams. This guy tore it up in college and would have been a high round pick if not for his injury. He didn't get much of a chance last year, but he could easily do as well as MG, if not better.

@RossTuckerNFL: So the Patriots preferred to give up a 5th Rd pick to pay Mike Gillislee more money ($4M year one) than Adrian Peterson?

Pretty strange when you put it that way. So bizarre they gave a division rival a free pick.

if you think he hit the wall, its not that weird. backs of a certain age end their career quickly and after visiting with both they felt MG was the better 2 year deal.

It's kind of like playing a video game on normal mode but when it becomes too easy, you change settings to hard mode.

The Patriots probably view playing us as, too easy and was probably like, ok let's give them a shot and make it a little tougher on us.

They basically playing us like a video game.

That does sound very strange, despite the good point NoSaint makes.

this is the most important question that no one has yet to ask!!!!!! I was wondering the same thing

Any chance we get Blount if the Pats$$$ dump him?

He's already dumped

Id start with Facebook, but yes, it's all the same garbage.

Yeah I feel guilty even using message boards... But social media really is the scourge of the nation right now. People cannot handle other opinions. If you look at many of the real problems we face, social media exacerbates nearly every one.

I won't even get into privacy, and everyone willingly volunteering highly personL information, as well as leaving every facet of your life for eveeyone to see. I don't know anyone who would want to be held responsible for the worst thing they have ever said, so why create a "paper trail".

I won't go on for days, though I could. It shocks me how complicit people are in they're own undoing.

this is the most important question that no one has yet to ask!!!!!! I was wondering the same thing

Any chance we get Blount if the Pats$$$ dump him?

Blount isnt coming to a two bit org like the Bills. Word is he's in talks with the Giants, and that makes sense.

Blount isnt coming to a two bit org like the Bills. Word is he's in talks with the Giants, and that makes sense.

I don't want a two bit rb like Bluont. We are talking about a guy who colluded with the Pats to get himself released from PIT, so he could re-sign with NE. He can stay unemployed or sign with somebody else.

I don't want a two bit rb like Bluont. We are talking about a guy who colluded with the Pats to get himself released from PIT, so he could re-sign with NE. He can stay unemployed or sign with somebody else.

i forgot about that. but i bet GMs did not.

The Bills did exactly what they should've done... Why would we pay a back up running back 4 million dollars this year? There are only 2 teams in the NFL that pay their back up running back anywhere near that amount of money.. and both of those teams do not have a starting RB named LeSean McCoy. Because Touch Down Mike went to the Patriots, everyone is up in arms.. just like last year with Chris Hogan. Let's remember, Chris Hogan had 2 more catches last year with THE GOAT throwing him the ball than he did 2 years ago with TT and EJ throwing him the ball... He had a great AFC Championship game and that's about it. Besides for when he torched Gilmore, who is another guy that Bills fans should be happy we did not resign. He is not worth NO WHERE near the amount of money he got from the Pats. Of all our CB's last year, Gilmore gave up the most big plays of them all... He doesn't like to tackle and he is the type of player that does not give it his all on every play. We now have 7 picks in the draft, with 3 in the 5th round. There are a lot of good RB's in the draft this year, specifically in later rounds... I'm sorry, but Mike Gillislee is not worth 4 Million this year... we will be fine with Shady, Jonathon Williams and a drafted RB. Doug Whaley always seems to find RB's at GREAT value, who can do what Gillislee did. Mike Gillislee is going to be splitting carries with James White and Deon Lewis... James White is definitely a better RB than Gillislee, especially catching the ball out of the backfield. The other issue with Gillislee is, he is not a very good pass blocker. I loved Gillislee and all he did for Buffalo, but no one would be worried if he were to be signed by the Colts, Jags, Bucs etc. As long as we draft well, LeSean McCoy stays health and the OL plays the way they did this past year, we're going to lead the league in rushing again! Mark my words!

Personally....I thought Gilly should have received the higher tender

but what is done is done.....this is why you draft. Gilly's replacement was drafted last year with Jonathan Williams.

One thing i dont see anyone talking about....we did just gain over a million back onto our cap right?....what was the placeholder for Mike G.'s tender.

Edited by John from Hemet

but what is done is done.....this is why you draft. Gilly's replacement was drafted last year with Jonathan Williams.

One thing i dont see anyone talking about....we did just gain over a million back onto our cap right?....what was the placeholder for Mike G.'s tender.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/ which supposedly includes our rookie pool states we have $10.5 million in cap room. If true I'd see if Gerald Hodges is still looking for work and maybe sign a veteran CB yet we can always wait until after June 1st if don't want to worry about any possible compensation picks.

yes, it's 1.8 I think. They have roughly 12.5 in cap space and gain 2.5 more for AW after 6/1 Edited by YoloinOhio

He led the entire league in yards-per-carry in 2016. The Bills underutilized him. Not a knock on LeSean, but Gillislee could have given the team plenty more if asked - still annoyed he didn't start against Miami last season to let McCoy heal up more - dumb decision after dumb decision the way this team has handled things. The Patriots will get every bit of their investment back - and more.

The Bills did exactly what they should've done... Why would we pay a back up running back 4 million dollars this year?

He led the entire league in yards-per-carry in 2016. The Bills underutilized him. Not a knock on LeSean, but Gillislee could have given the team plenty more if asked - still annoyed he didn't start against Miami last season to let McCoy heal up more - dumb decision after dumb decision the way this team has handled things. The Patriots will get every bit of their investment back - and more.

Before Whaley found him on the scrap heap, did anyone on this board even know Gillisee's name? Was there a single post suggesting the Bills should sign him? Yet now he's the second coming of Jim Brown? Time for some to get their meds adjusted. Edited by yungmack

Before Whaley found him on the scrap heap, did anyone on this board even know Gillisee's name? Was there a single post suggesting the Bills should sign him? Yet now he's the second coming of Jim Brown? Time for some to get their meds asjusted.

haha, I sort of get the impression some would rather have traded McCoy for a 5th than MG.

Ross Tucker‏ @RossTuckerNFL

So the Patriots preferred to give up a 5th Rd pick to pay Mike Gillislee more money ($4M year one) than Adrian Peterson?

A voice of reason in the wilderness... The Bills simply didn't want to pay MG the 2 nd round tender amount. The only offer he got at the 5th round tender was from a team that didn't need him and went against their usual MO for which there are years of precedent . If it indeed was a gamble by the Bills ( which I doubt) it seems that it was around a 90% + chance they keep the player . I doubt anyone around the league would predict NE of all teams , would overpay for a backup RB and fork over a draft pick for the privilege. Yet somehow fans could predict the Pats spending in FA as they never have before this offseason.

haha, I sort of get the impression some would rather have traded McCoy for a 5th than MG.

Welcome to Buffalo, where backups are always the most popular guys on the team.

Before Whaley found him on the scrap heap, did anyone on this board even know Gillisee's name? Was there a single post suggesting the Bills should sign him? Yet now he's the second coming of Jim Brown? Time for some to get their meds adjusted.

So his becoming a very good, valuable player for the Bills means nothing. Just focus on where he came from.

A voice of reason in the wilderness... The Bills simply didn't want to pay MG the 2 nd round tender amount. The only offer he got at the 5th round tender was from a team that didn't need him and went against their usual MO for which there are years of precedent . If it indeed was a gamble by the Bills ( which I doubt) it seems that it was around a 90% + chance they keep the player . I doubt anyone around the league would predict NE of all teams , would overpay for a backup RB and fork over a draft pick for the privilege. Yet somehow fans could predict the Pats spending in FA as they never have before this offseason.

Welcome to Buffalo, where backups are always the most popular guys on the team.

A very good backup-yes that is pretty valuable on a team whose depth is bad.

A Toyota Camry with 50k miles is worth more than a Mercedes with 300k. Ross Tucker should know better.

Peterson is still a better back at this point in his career than MG.

So his becoming a very good, valuable player for the Bills means nothing. Just focus on where he came from.

A very good backup-yes that is pretty valuable on a team whose depth is bad.

You don't get it. Yes it has a value, a specific value in $$ that the team has set. If the player hits RFA or UFA and are overpayed by that market, teams have people that they pay $$ to find a replacement. That's their job. If they didn't feel he could be replaced- that he was so integral to winning - they would keep the player. That another team has lots of cap room to overpay players , and decides to deviate from their usual MO of not doing so, should not impact what they do.

Peterson is still a better back at this point in his career than MG.

You don't get it. Yes it has a value, a specific value in $$ that the team has set. If the player hits RFA or UFA and are overpayed by that market, teams have people that they pay $$ to find a replacement. That's their job. If they didn't feel he could be replaced- that he was so integral to winning - they would keep the player. That another team has lots of cap room to overpay players , and decides to deviate from their usual MO of not doing so, should not impact what they do.

lol because OBD knows how to win. They should have placed the second round tender on him to begin with.