Bills decline to match Gillislee offer sheet

Another dumb front office move that will keep us out of the playoffs. Not only did we give up a top-tier back up, we gave him up to the Pats, our arch nemesis. Once again the Pats buy low. Mark my word - Gillislee will rush for 1200+ yards and contend for the league lead in rushing this year...

Bellichick is too smart to let a 1200 yard rusher rush for 1200 yards. He allows them to rush for 850 and that's how he keeps several at low cost.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We pretty much knew this was going to happen. The frustrating part is it is New England, and the Bills could have kept Gillislee by simply using a 2nd round tender.

How much would that have cost? They made an informed decision. Time will tell whether it was the best option. I'm hoping Whaley can pull another rabbit out of the hat. (What else can I do?)

You're acting like I didn't like MG, I did. I was happy with his performance for the most part. I think as fans we get a little too attached to any sort of bright spots on the team. I think Gilli was a great compliment to McCoy, but there is no reason to think he could be the full-time starter after Shady which was basically the contract was signifying with the amount of money in place. Look at his stat line. Most of his damage came in relief of Shady with a limited amount of carries. Another stat to note is the number of times he carried the ball 15 times or more when shady(6 games) was out of the lineup? Twice. Season Finale against the jets in 2015 24 carries for 28 yards and the season finale in 2016 with 15 carries for 40 yards, not so great, his 5.7 YPC average started to dip once he carried the ball more. Even with his biggest Cheerleader/Fan, Rex didn't give him the opportunity to carry the load in Miami with McCoy obviously suffering from a hamstring injury.

The price was just too steep for his value to this team, cannot forget the money invested in the RB/FB position DiMarco, Tolbert, and Williams attached to McCoy's big salary.

Not to mention the 1.3 mil dead cap still for Felton. So with 1.3 for Felton and then DiMarco and Tolbert how much is that for the fb position? Too much to keep the most efficient back in the league. BB says thank you for his new #1.

Not to mention the 1.3 mil dead cap still for Felton. So with 1.3 for Felton and then DiMarco and Tolbert how much is that for the fb position? Too much to keep the most efficient back in the league. BB says thank you for his new #1.

He won't be a #1...

If the OBD really wanted to keep MG they would have put the 2nd rounder tender on him, which IMO they should have but since they didn't it was a mistake but that doesn't mean you compound the mistake by overpaying for a back-up RB...take the 5th round pick and move on.

He won't be a #1...

His salary says otherwise.

BB is not paying him so the Bills can't keep him. He only does things to get better. He is not infallible but if he thinks Gillis is worth it I don t doubt it. A 5th rnd pick is peanuts for a guy who converts 3rd downs and tds like that.

His salary says otherwise.BB is not paying him so the Bills can't keep him. He only does things to get better. He is not infallible but if he thinks Gillis is worth it I don t doubt it. A 5th rnd pick is peanuts for a guy who converts 3rd downs and tds like that.

Ok so go watch NE then if you are so fond of BB. Why spend so much time on a Bills board?

It should never have come to that.

If they wanted to keep MG at any cost, they would have put the 2nd round tender on him to ensure he stayed. They didn't , so they obviously didn't care that much.

Ok so go watch NE then if you are so fond of BB. Why spend so much time on a Bills board?

I can't stand the Pats or Belichek. They are the most successful team right now and it is not only random luck or they have the greatest 6th round Comp pick of all time. To see that the Bills are mismanaged is not difficult and it doesn't make you a bad fan imo.

If they wanted to keep MG at any cost, they would have put the 2nd round tender on him to ensure he stayed. They didn't , so they obviously didn't care that much.

Of course. So we all should be confident in OBD decisions because the Bills have had such a stunning record this century.

Whaley uses a 1st, 1st, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 4th on Watkins and Ragland.

Lights an early 4th rounder on fire for fumbling bust Bryce Brown.

Yet when Whaley loses a very nice RB for a glorified 6th Round pick hes a genius for turning a free agent into a 5th rounder. Let's hope Whaley has finally learned his lesson of the value of draft choices but in this case I would rather have Gillislee. (at 2nd round tender price)

No, not tendering him at the 2nd round level and negotiating a longer term cap friendlier contract was the mistake. Whaley painted himself into a no win situation by either losing a good player for a glorified 6th round pick or paying him 4 million a year. GM's should avoid those.

Did it occur to you that they didn't want to pay the 2 nd round tender price to MG? They ensured they would not get zero in return if he was signed. No one would pay a 2nd rounder for MG so theBills would have been stuck paying him that amount. You care more about MG than they did.

Of course. So we all should be confident in OBD decisions because the Bills have had such a stunning record this century.

Nope. Not what I'm saying. There is a bit too much caring about MG because it's New England. That's emotion. The Bills had zero emotion with this decision. They had a number on Gillislee and stuck to it, covering themselves with a draft pick if he left. They didn't want to pay him the amount of the higher tender, they absolutely knew it existed.

Did it occur to you that they didn't want to pay the 2 nd round tender price to MG? They ensured they would not get zero in return if he was signed. No one would pay a 2nd rounder for MG so theBills would have been stuck paying him that amount. You care more about MG than they did.

So did BB. I'll take his opinion over everyone employed at OBD.

I can't stand the Pats or Belichek. They are the most successful team right now and it is not only random luck or they have the greatest 6th round Comp pick of all time. To see that the Bills are mismanaged is not difficult and it doesn't make you a bad fan imo.

Hyperbole much. They didn't let Tomlinson in his prime walk out the door It's Mike freaking Gillislee

Hyperbole much. They didn't let Tomlinson in his prime walk out the door It's Mike freaking Gillislee

There are some on here upset regarding the player; I would say many more are upset about not using a 2nd round tender; since this kinda just creates another hole on a roster modeled after Swiss Cheese. This while knowing that we will have a good amount of cap space next year with aging vets, more FAs and we aren't really re-signing our own. What are we going to spend our money on? Overpay players of more Philly Brown/Vlad Ducasse players?

Yes Woods was offered more than we should match, we were $2 million apart with Gilmore ( I would have paid him, since it is yet another hole to be filled with a draft pick), and a good RB2 was allowed to be poached just like Hogan was last year due to poor use of the tenders. Our draft last year was controlled by the coaches to fill holes; this year will be the same. It has been this way for years, when you draft to fill holes and not have a plan on building a roster you end up exactly where we are. Pegs should have had the balls to nuke the Bills like he did with the Sabres; by my count we have 3 more years until that happens here.

There are some on here upset regarding the player; I would say many more are upset about not using a 2nd round tender; since this kinda just creates another hole on a roster modeled after Swiss Cheese. This while knowing that we will have a good amount of cap space next year with aging vets, more FAs and we aren't really re-signing our own. What are we going to spend our money on? Overpay players of more Philly Brown/Vlad Ducasse players?

Yes Woods was offered more than we should match, we were $2 million apart with Gilmore ( I would have paid him, since it is yet another hole to be filled with a draft pick), and a good RB2 was allowed to be poached just like Hogan was last year due to poor use of the tenders. Our draft last year was controlled by the coaches to fill holes; this year will be the same. It has been this way for years, when you draft to fill holes and not have a plan on building a roster you end up exactly where we are. Pegs should have had the balls to nuke the Bills like he did with the Sabres; by my count we have 3 more years until that happens here.

Spinning wheels is the definition of the Bills organization. The Brandon/ Whaley nightmare continues.

Tyrod Taylor had more rushing yards in less attempts.

As the best running QB in the NFL, I would expect that. Doesn't negate the importance of MG, esp if McCoy goes down.

Spinning wheels is the definition of the Bills organization. The Brandon/ Whaley nightmare continues.

As the best running QB in the NFL, I would expect that. Doesn't negate the importance of MG, esp if McCoy goes down.

Had the same number of runs greater than twenty yards as Taylor. He's not as spectacular as some people believe. A QB did what he did.

If McCoy goes down the season is basically over anyway... Edited by Beef Jerky

Had the same number of runs greater than twenty yards as Taylor. He's not as spectacular as some people believe. A QB did what he did.

Wow is all I can say to this. really. Taylor is the most dangerous running QB in the NFL. No other QB can run like he can.

If McCoy goes down the season is basically over anyway...

More so because we have no legitimate backup behind him and a WR corp that is the worst in the NFL without Watkins.

Among qualified backs he Led the League in ypc, td%, 3rd down conversion..... led the league. That 5th rnd pick gonna lead the league!!!

Wow is all I can say to this. really. Taylor is the most dangerous running QB in the NFL. No other QB can run like he can.

He' s a backup. You know that. They didn't just let Walter Payton go. It was Mike Gillislee. Mike Gillislee. Get over it. It's April and they haven't even had the draft yet. My God you guys look for anything to trash this team before they even hit the practice field.

So, maybe, just here me out; we are getting ahead of the curve and looking for an RB who can throw the ball. Talk about revolutionizing the game a QB who can run and can't throw and a RB who can throw but doesn't run

So, maybe, just here me out; we are getting ahead of the curve and looking for an RB who can throw the ball. Talk about revolutionizing the game a QB who can run and can't throw and a RB who can throw but doesn't run

lol.

He' s a backup. You know that. They didn't just let Walter Payton go. It was Mike Gillislee. Mike Gillislee. Get over it. It's April and they haven't even had the draft yet. My God you guys look for anything to trash this team before they even hit the practice field.

This team is worse right now than when the season ended. The draft once again is needed to keep filling the same holes over and over again. And once again, they lost a very good and productive player in MG.

No, not tendering him at the 2nd round level and negotiating a longer term cap friendlier contract was the mistake. Whaley painted himself into a no win situation by either losing a good player for a glorified 6th round pick or paying him 4 million a year. GM's should avoid those.

First of all if you tender him at a 2nd round level it's more money. I'm sure they could have found a way, but they were trying to keep him at a cheaper price. I don't think anyone would have anticipate a team stepping in and offering him $4 million a year. If they want him that bad then by all means. Also, who's to say that the team didn't try to tie him into a more cap friendly deal? Maybe he wanted to test the waters. That's the problem I have with every move the Bills make, no matter what they do there's someone therento say why they should have done something completely different. Who knows, maybe they tried. I'm sure on a Thursday if they don't trade down from #10 there will be plenty of posts complaining about how it's the wrong move. Just like the Gillislee deal you need two interested parties.

lol.

This team is worse right now than when the season ended. The draft once again is needed to keep filling the same holes over and over again. And once again, they lost a very good and productive player in MG.

It's okay to fill holes on your team like this if you have a franchise qb. I know they don't grow on trees, but you will never get one if you don't draft them (and not late round impossibilities)...

First of all if you tender him at a 2nd round level it's more money. I'm sure they could have found a way, but they were trying to keep him at a cheaper price. I don't think anyone would have anticipate a team stepping in and offering him $4 million a year. If they want him that bad then by all means. Also, who's to say that the team didn't try to tie him into a more cap friendly deal? Maybe he wanted to test the waters. That's the problem I have with every move the Bills make, no matter what they do there's someone therento say why they should have done something completely different. Who knows, maybe they tried. I'm sure on a Thursday if they don't trade down from #10 there will be plenty of posts complaining about how it's the wrong move. Just like the Gillislee deal you need two interested parties.

2d round tender wasn't that much more money. Plus we have at least $40 in cap space next year...

Look at this roster:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2018/

:sick:

Huge mistake letting him walk, TD Mike did everything we asked him to do, our back ups are the caliber of TD Mike, we had cap room, I don't get it, letting him go to a division rival

So did BB. I'll take his opinion over everyone employed at OBD.

So you're Butt hurt that the Bills offered less than BB? Who gives a crap about Belichick ? Why care what the Pats do? They will own the division until Brady retires. This signing won't alter their path any. It's crazy to think a backup running back will keep the Bills out of the playoffs or change the Pats ability to win another. On the national scene, far removed from BUF, I'm sure no one thinks any different about how these two franchises will finish the 2017 season. It's like folks are amazed that the Bills have guys that can play in the league, and that the league structure dictates that no team can keep them all. You know what? BELICHICK GETS RID OF GUYS WHO CAN PLAY ALL THE TIME! No one cares because they win due to Brady. The Bills haven't won so people care about the backup RB. I don't care what they do at backup RB because it won't win them anything. They need a top tier QB and a modern passing game. Then a better Defense. If you think keeping the Mike Gillislee's away from Belichick will cause the Pats downfall you are mistaken.

One thing that tends to get over looked is the fact that the O-line played a very big part in the running game. Three guys in the top ten with runs over twenty yards is pretty darn good. Those are some big holes they were opening and if they do it again this season they need to be recognized for it. The run game was a product of the run blocking.

Who was a very good player for the Bills. Another hole to fill, again and again.

One they filled with Karlos, then MG , and now it could be J will? Who knows? It won't get them to or keep them from the playoffs. Much bigger holes to fill to reach that goal.

Huge mistake letting him walk, TD Mike did everything we asked him to do, our back ups are the caliber of TD Mike, we had cap room, I don't get it, letting him go to a division rival

So you would overpay a backup to keep him from a division rival that will beat you twice regardless? Whaley is a bad GM but that kind of thinking is worse.

Among qualified backs he Led the League in ypc, td%, 3rd down conversion..... led the league. That 5th rnd pick gonna lead the league!!!

So you thought MG would have that season when they signed him? And you think he will do it again? They drafted JW to be the backup just last season. Perhaps they think he's more talented or just as talented and don't want to pay the $$. You don't win anything for having a backup lead the league one season. How were all those plays blocked? Did you evaluate all of them?

Even didn't field kick offs like we asked him too.

Btw was the thread this long when Freddy got released?

Excuse me, logical and rational thoughts are not allowed in this thread, only irrational and emotional thoughts only. Edited by Captain Murica

More so because we have no legitimate backup behind him and a WR corp that is the worst in the NFL without Watkins.

No, even if we had MG and McCoy went down the season would be over.

How much would that have cost? They made an informed decision. Time will tell whether it was the best option. I'm hoping Whaley can pull another rabbit out of the hat. (What else can I do?)

Just 1 million more. Chicken feed in today's NFL.