Bills decline to match Gillislee offer sheet

More of an unknown at this point than demonstrably true/false.

That's what I mean. False premise.

I think you can make a good argument that this was a shrewd move by the Bills, albeit one that is small.

I bet they are really high on JW, wanted to find a way to get him more carries, knew that it wouldn't happen if they resigned MG or tendered him for a 2nd. So they dangled him for a fifth and got the Pats to bite.

This is obviously speculation but I think very possible.

Edited by dubs

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lost Gilmore, Brown, Woods, MG. We got two fullbacks, a safety, and a kicker. The CB tandom is one of the worst in the NFL right now, and the WR group outside of Watkins is a bottom tier group. The depth is worse.

You also have to factor in the coaching and scheme changes. Buffalo is going through a transition, the Cheats are building on an already solid foundation.

The Bills, with or without MG, were already competing for a WC spot, not the division title. The Cheats have the division in the bag so long as Br*dy is upright.

I would have liked to see MG stay. I would have liked to see Higan stay. But losing them is not that big a deal. Backup RBs are relatively easy to find, as is a 3/4 string WR. The Bills are no different than any other team, they assign value to positions and players. Then they make decisions.

When you are able to strip the emotion out of it , that's what you are left with.

Yep, way more excited to see what that 5th rnd pick will bring than keeping the most efficient back in the NFL last year. Yep

Define "efficient" please? Yards per carry? Yards after contact?

Mike is a simple 1 cut runner and hes going to play the L Blount role for New England. AKA rack up short yardage touchdowns and gain tons of yards on teams they blow out.

That's what I mean. False premise.

I think you can make a good argument that this was a shrewd move by the Bills, albeit one that is small.

I bet they are really high on JW, wanted to find a way to get him more carries, knew that it wouldn't happen if they resigned MG or tendered him for a 2nd. So they dangled him for a fifth and got the Pats to bite.

This is obviously speculation but I think very possible.

Gotcha. Yeah if that was their thought process it makes sense. I hope the faith in JWill is well founded though.

Looked at the bios for the 3 backups now in the roster. They all seem to be north-south guys, reasonably fast, can grind out tough yards. If the coaches see 1-2 of them as adequate talent then understandable why they would not go over a certain price point for MG.

I don't get it. We just let a reasonably priced productive player go for a late 5th round pick. I don't see how this makes us better.

It doesn't. Esp for an offense that is so run heavy. MG should be very happy though. He'll win a SB ring and play a nice part in it, and be part of the reason NE beats up on the Bills, again.

Again, a team that didn't need him at all. He was cut before coming to BUF? Had you heard of him? Did you think that a converted RB from FLA state would rip off 7 TDs in 7 games? There are guys out there waiting for their shot. The funny thing is, if the Bills had cut McCoy, you'd likely being saying " no big deal , we have MG"... that's a much bigger pair of shoes to fill

I get that. McCoy is a special talent, I think the extension was unnecessary and is the reason they are not keeping MG. MG led the league in multiple measurements and if it was that easy McCoy would have led some of those. Lets not pretend that Gillislies production was just a fluke. He produced at the same pace in 2015. Maybe the system here helped him thrive but the guy has done nothing but produce and the best coach in the game wants him as a #1.

Yep, way more excited to see what that 5th rnd pick will bring than keeping the most efficient back in the NFL last year. Yep

Most efficient backs in the NFL for the past few years (going by YPA):

Thomas Rawls/Karlos Williams

Justin Forsett

Andre Ellington

Adrian Peterson

I'll give you AP but aside from that it's mostly backups with around 100 attempts. There is no correlation to having the highest YPA. Once you set a minimum of about 200 attempts that's when you see what players are really made of.

Not that this will convince you on your little crusade but I promise having the highest YPA when you're a backup is not a huge deal.

I don't get it. We just let a reasonably priced productive player go for a late 5th round pick. I don't see how this makes us better.

It doesn't.

It just isn't a make-or-break move in terms of beating the P*ts for the division. It's also not as if TD Mike's production cannot be replaced for cheaper.

I get that. McCoy is a special talent, I think the extension was unnecessary and is the reason they are not keeping MG. MG led the league in multiple measurements and if it was that easy McCoy would have led some of those. Lets not pretend that Gillislies production was just a fluke. He produced at the same pace in 2015. Maybe the system here helped him thrive but the guy has done nothing but produce and the best coach in the game wants him as a #1.

He played in five games in 2015. Five.

Define "efficient" please? Yards per carry? Yards after contact?

Mike is a simple 1 cut runner and hes going to play the L Blount role for New England. AKA rack up short yardage touchdowns and gain tons of yards on teams they blow out.

MG led the league in multiple categories and efficiency metrics like dvoa etc. He wasn t near the top, he was the top. Obviously BB was impressed.

He played in five games in 2015. Five.

I know that. My point was his ypc and td% was the same.

MG led the league in multiple categories and efficiency metrics like dvoa etc. He wasn t near the top, he was the top. Obviously BB was impressed.

I know that. My point was his ypc and td% was the same.

Ok, so you're saying he's going to lead the league in all those categories again next year??

he was worth $2.76 million thats for sure. McDermott cannot be happy with Overdorf and Whaley for this gaffe. It worked with Groy, but we lost with TD Mike.

The only way to mitigate this poor management move is to hit on the patriots 5th round pick, which is now ours.

It doesn't. Esp for an offense that is so run heavy. MG should be very happy though. He'll win a SB ring and play a nice part in it, and be part of the reason NE beats up on the Bills, again.

come on man. you envious over a back up rb going to the patsies?

way to take overdramatics to the next level. my god, the kid is replaceable and will be replaced.

And some Bills fans are just down.

#$%^ some of you are depressing as all hell.

Badnuts isn't depressing, he's a mentally unstable narcissist prone to doubling down on his bad takes and who completely lacks a sense of humor about himself.

That makes him hilarious, not depressing.

come on man. you envious over a back up rb going to the patsies?

way to take overdramatics to the next level. my god, the kid is replaceable and will be replaced.

He'll get 1000 yards for them. He was a very good player for us. His production is not that easily replaceable. he was important in an offense that is so run heavy.

Justin Forsett

Andre Ellington

Adrian Peterson

I'll give you AP but aside from that it's mostly backups with around 100 attempts. There is no correlation to having the highest YPA. Once you set a minimum of about 200 attempts that's when you see what players are really made of.

Not that this will convince you on your little crusade but I promise having the highest YPA when you're a backup is not a huge deal.[/qu

Not a crusade, I think Mike played a good role on this team was extremely efficient and will not be easily replaced. The fact that he was allowed to strengthen an arch enemy with such a feeble return makes it worse. I think Doug Whaley is an amateur.

He'll get 1000 yards for them. He was a very good player for us. His production is not that easily replaceable. he was important in an offense that is so run heavy.

Outside the WRs and TE, I'd say he was one of the least important parts of our run game.

Heck, Woods might have meant more to the rush offense than Gillislie.

He'll be replaced, and easily.

Justin Forsett

Andre Ellington

Adrian Peterson

Not that this will convince you on your little crusade but I promise having the highest YPA when you're a backup is not a huge deal.[/qu

Not a crusade, I think Mike played a good role on this team was extremely efficient and will not be easily replaced. The fact that he was allowed to strengthen an arch enemy with such a feeble return makes it worse. I think Doug Whaley is an amateur.

There's a reason why Whaley makes the bottom tier of GMs on most people's lists.

1000 yards for pats? - Probably not but who cares?

Very Good Player for Us - yes and no. Good in his role, yes.

Replaceable - definitely replaceable. Undoubtably.

Important - was third leading rusher on the team. Not THAT impt

Badnuts isn't depressing, he's a mentally unstable narcissist prone to doubling down on his bad takes and who completely lacks a sense of humor about himself.

That makes him hilarious, not depressing.

Sounds like half of my clients currently. Does not happen to reside on Long Island?

Lets just wait and see if the Bills have another backup who can lead the league in multiple metrics. It should be easy to find that one guy who is better than everyone else in so many ways. Piece of cake. Who is this Bill Belichek guy who thinks a backup is worth that much. What an idiot!

many can't seem to get past the Pats scar tissue here. BB thinks he is worth that much in his RBBC that includes 5 RBs. They won't have a #1 RB that gets most of the carries. The Bills have a very different RB approach. They also gave a new coaching staff that is going to value draft picks and cap space over holdovers from the previous regime. It truly makes sense for both sides. Edited by YoloinOhio