Bills decline to match Gillislee offer sheet

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.

But I don't think MG's numbers or impact is impossible to replicate for cheaper. Hence, the outrage expressed in this thread (to me) is slightly misplaced.

My displeasure is that for a 2nd round tender this wouldn't be an issue...

Another dumb front office move that will keep us out of the playoffs. Not only did we give up a top-tier back up, we gave him up to the Pats, our arch nemesis. Once again the Pats buy low. Mark my word - Gillislee will rush for 1200+ yards and contend for the league lead in rushing this year...

That's not going to happen. The Pats are a three horse backfield. TD Mike will move into Blount's position and do well. Maybe 800-900 yds 8-9 TD's. Lewis and White will get a lot of passes out of the backfield. Remember when Shady was hurt, Gilly could not carry the O. The more carries he got the less efficient he was. Either way, I wish we would have tendered the 2nd. Another dumb Bills move.

Edited by BillsRdue

That's not going to happen. The Pats are a three horse backfield. TD Mike will move into Blount's position and do well. Maybe 800-900 yds 8-9 TD's. Lewis and White will get a lot of passes out of the backfield. Remember when Shady was hurt, Gilly could not carry the O. The more carries he got the less efficient he was. Either way, I wish we would have tendered the 2nd. Another dumb Bills move.

you're forgetting Rex Burkert, Brandon Bolden, and James Develin, no way he gets that many yards

Why do Bills fans cry so much?

BACKUP RB!

Well when the Bills needed to punch it in at the goal line or get an important 3rd or 4th and 1 they often turned to Gillislee who did a tremendous job. Those are important game changing plays. Add that to the fact Shady is 29 years old with a ton of mileage and it is not just about losing a "backup" player.

The smart play was the 2nd Round tender and negotiate a long term cap friendlier deal because no other teams are going to sniff around at that level. Is this a top level, seasoning altering blunder by Whaley...No, but small mistakes like these add up over time and help keep the playoff drought alive.

Well when the Bills needed to punch it in at the goal line or get an important 3rd or 4th and 1 they often turned to Gillislee who did a tremendous job. Those are important game changing plays. Add that to the fact Shady is 29 years old with a ton of mileage and it is not just about losing a "backup" player.

The smart play was the 2nd Round tender and negotiate a long term cap friendlier deal because no other teams are going to sniff around at that level. Is this a top level, seasoning altering blunder by Whaley...No, but small mistakes like these add up over time and help keep the playoff drought alive.

27 years old.

Also have a very good short yardage back on roster as well.

LACK OF QB play is what keeps the QB drought alive

Edited by MAJBobby

Define "efficient" please? Yards per carry? Yards after contact?

Mike is a simple 1 cut runner and hes going to play the L Blount role for New England. AKA rack up short yardage touchdowns and gain tons of yards on teams they blow out.

Doesn't that sound like great output for Gillislee in exchange for a 5th round pick? How would that mean Buffalo won the trade.

27 years old.

Also have a very good short yardage back on roster as well.

LACK OF QB play is what keeps the QB drought alive

He is actually 26 years old for over another 6 months and has very limited wear and tear. No reason he can't play into his 30's. Of course lack of franchise QB play is the biggest reason for drought, but it doesn't excuse Whaley for his other mistakes and shortcomings which help contribute.

He is actually 26 years old for over another 6 months and has very limited wear and tear. No reason he can't play into his 30's. Of course lack of franchise QB play is the biggest reason for drought, but it doesn't excuse Whaley for his other mistakes and shortcomings which help contribute.

And not paying 4M to a BU RB that you signed as a street UFA is one of those mistakes

Whaley uses a 1st, 1st, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 4th on Watkins and Ragland.

Lights an early 4th rounder on fire for fumbling bust Bryce Brown.

Yet when Whaley loses a very nice RB for a glorified 6th Round pick hes a genius for turning a free agent into a 5th rounder. Let's hope Whaley has finally learned his lesson of the value of draft choices but in this case I would rather have Gillislee. (at 2nd round tender price)

And not paying 4M to a BU RB that you signed as a street UFA is one of those mistakes

No, not tendering him at the 2nd round level and negotiating a longer term cap friendlier contract was the mistake. Whaley painted himself into a no win situation by either losing a good player for a glorified 6th round pick or paying him 4 million a year. GM's should avoid those.

Yet when Whaley loses a very nice RB for a glorified 6th Round pick hes a genius for turning a free agent into a 5th rounder. Let's hope Whaley has finally learned his lesson of the value of draft choices but in this case I would rather have Gillislee. (at 2nd round tender price)

No, not tendering him at the 2nd round level and negotiating a longer term cap friendlier contract was the mistake. Whaley painted himself into a no win situation by either losing a good player for a glorified 6th round pick or paying him 4 million a year. GM's should avoid those.

Good post.

Again a STREET UFA. Turned into a 5th.

Sorry i dont want to pay good money to a BU RB in todays NFL.

SMH So it makes no difference that the Bills lost a very good player for them. I don't care where he came from. he proved to be a big asset for the offense.

It's irrelevant that Gillislee was a street UFA. Point is you should judge a guy by production- not draft status or how he was acquired. Sad re-run of Jason Peters "he was just a UDFA" takes. If the Patriots traded Tom Brady for a third round pick I guess they are geniuses for turning a 6th round pick into a 3rd.

Retwee
Lik
Edited by Billy Zabka

SMH So it makes no difference that the Bills lost a very good player for them. I don't care where he came from. he proved to be a big asset for the offense.

Again yes they lost a good player. But it was the right move to not match

It's irrelevant that Gillislee was a street UFA. Point is you should judge a guy by production- not draft status or how he was acquired. Sad re-run of Jason Peters "he was just a UDFA" takes. If the Patriots traded Tom Brady for a third round pick I guess they are geniuses for turning a 6th round pick into a 3rd.

Retwee

Lik

Ok he was a BU RB. Cool. I am glad the Bills dont want to drop 4M on a BU RB

Who left the liquor cabinet unlocked?

At what point are people going to realize that running backs are not truly a dime a dozen (most are). Gillislee didn't average 5.6 yds/carry because he was just another backup running back. Just because he was drafted in the 5th round and came off out of practice fodder doesn't make him expendable. I stand by my prediction - NE will feature him and all of a sudden have a rediculous running game this year. Just remember, Fred Jackson came out of no where... Terrell Davis was a 6th round pick. Just because you came from nowhere and were a back up doesn't mean you are irreplaceable. MG is just on the cusp of hitting his prime. 4-6 years of damaging running coming out of NE. Our front office sucks.

It should never have come to that.

Why because you want to pay decent money to a BU RB. Those are role players. Good teams fill those positions cheaply.

Well unless your a Bills fan that still thinks you play 1970s football in todays NFL

And J Williams wont be that right?

Because you know Gillislee rookie year numbers of 21 yards and 3.5 ypc obviously he was a bust right?

Well first he will have to make the team, second he will have to learn to not fumble, third he will have to gain some semblence of speed back, fourth he will have to not get suspended for the first 2-4 games for his dwi, and fmslly he will have to scrape himself off the bottom of the depth chart. So im go out on a very strong limb here and say Willsims wont come close to 627 yds/9ts from scrimage.

Why because you want to pay decent money to a BU RB. Those are role players. Good teams fill those positions cheaply.

Well unless your a Bills fan that still thinks you play 1970s football in todays NFL

Do role players account for 14 percent of the teams total points?

Well first he will have to make the team, second he will have to learn to not fumble, third he will have to gain some semblence of speed back, fourth he will have to not get suspended for the first 2-4 games for his dwi, and fmslly he will have to scrape himself off the bottom of the depth chart. So im go out on a very strong limb here and say Willsims wont come close to 627 yds/9ts from scrimage.

Well again man Mike is a stud. I mean afterall glad we stole him after being cut a second time.

Cause you know RBs are what they are after their Rookie Year.

At end of day nothing changes if or if not Mike Gillislee is on this team.

Do role players account for 14 percent of the teams total points?

They do when you have a QB that cant throw

Hmmm lets see here

Modern NFL

Yes losing a premier LT >>>>>> a BU RB

Now you're changing your argument. You put "street UFA" in all caps, now you're saying that's irrelevant to the analysis.

Also, Rd 1 pick >>>>>> Rd 5 pick

Edited by Rob's House

Well again man Mike is a stud. I mean afterall glad we stole him after being cut a second time.

Cause you know RBs are what they are after their Rookie Year.

At end of day nothing changes if or if not Mike Gillislee is on this team.

They do when you have a QB that cant throw

Why did Watkins have a breakout year in 2015? Losing MG is a loss. period.

Now you're changing your argument. You put "street UFA" in all caps, now you're saying that's irrelevant to the analysis.

Also, Rd 1 pick >>>>>> Rd 5 pick

Here i will say it very slow.

To flip a street UFA to a 5th round pick is actually decent value.

Specially when that player is a BU RB, will be 27 as well, have a second year RB on the roster and signed a short yardage back.

Yes that is what good teams do not overpay roll players.

Why did Watkins have a breakout year in 2015? Losing MG is a loss. period.

Lol Sammy hasnt really had a breakout year.

Specially when that player is a BU RB, will be 27 as well, have a second year RB on the roster and signed a short yardage back.

Taylor and Watkins were one of the top duos in the NFL the second half of 2015.

I disagree. How you acquire the player is irrelevant to his value. Flipping a UDFA into a 1st is good value by that standard.

Your better argument is that a RB2 has less value, not that the price of his acquisition was low.

The Bills strength is running the football, and they lost a very good part of that. MG is a very good back. A good change of pace back to McCoy, who probably will miss time.

The best team in the NFL just made him their #1. What else is there to understand. I liked what he brought and obviously he got noticed. Bills could have kept him for less than he will be paid.

I like this guy.

He was a productive player. Does it matter where he was drafted? Let me help you, the answer is no.

I'm still waiting for the Jaguars to trade away Hurns for a 5th rounder...because well...who knows!!! Logic? Of course

At what point are people going to realize that running backs are not truly a dime a dozen (most are). Gillislee didn't average 5.6 yds/carry because he was just another backup running back. Just because he was drafted in the 5th round and came off out of practice fodder doesn't make him expendable. I stand by my prediction - NE will feature him and all of a sudden have a rediculous running game this year. Just remember, Fred Jackson came out of no where... Terrell Davis was a 6th round pick. Just because you came from nowhere and were a back up doesn't mean you are irreplaceable. MG is just on the cusp of hitting his prime. 4-6 years of damaging running coming out of NE. Our front office sucks.

You're acting like I didn't like MG, I did. I was happy with his performance for the most part. I think as fans we get a little too attached to any sort of bright spots on the team. I think Gilli was a great compliment to McCoy, but there is no reason to think he could be the full-time starter after Shady which was basically the contract was signifying with the amount of money in place. Look at his stat line. Most of his damage came in relief of Shady with a limited amount of carries. Another stat to note is the number of times he carried the ball 15 times or more when shady(6 games) was out of the lineup? Twice. Season Finale against the jets in 2015 24 carries for 28 yards and the season finale in 2016 with 15 carries for 40 yards, not so great, his 5.7 YPC average started to dip once he carried the ball more. Even with his biggest Cheerleader/Fan, Rex didn't give him the opportunity to carry the load in Miami with McCoy obviously suffering from a hamstring injury.

The price was just too steep for his value to this team, cannot forget the money invested in the RB/FB position DiMarco, Tolbert, and Williams attached to McCoy's big salary.

Edited by Captain Murica