Bills decline to match Gillislee offer sheet

"Whaley probably sucks and the Bills are historically terrible, but they turned a scrap heap mid-season free agent that again ZERO other teams wanted into a 5th round pick. It makes the Whaley haters look bad to seize on this when there are tons of other legitimate examples of dubious decision making".

So a young talent that led the entire NFL in multiple metrics is exchanged for a late 5th round pick and that is somehow a win? No wonder this franchise has been losers so long. Sign two more fullbacks while you are still paying 1.3 million dead cap to your last one.

Saying multiple metrics is the easiest way to show that you don't understand football. He had 100 carries and 1 reception. Nice stat line but a gimmick one too. SM

It's like saying that a pinch hitter with 100 AB who had the highest OPS would do the same thing getting starter ABs.

Edited by dubs

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do Bills fans cry so much?

BACKUP RB!

A very good one on a team whose main strength is running the ball. It's a loss.

Saying multiple metrics is the easiest way to show that you don't understand football. He had 100 carries and 1 reception. Nice stat line but a gimmick one too. SM

It's like saying that a pinch hitter with 100 AB who had the highest OPS would do the same thing getting starter ABs.

His TDs are no gimmick.

I would have liked to see MG stay. I would have liked to see Higan stay. But losing them is not that big a deal. Backup RBs are relatively easy to find, as is a 3/4 string WR. The Bills are no different than any other team, they assign value to positions and players. Then they make decisions.

Frankly.....if I felt the way people depict that I do about Shady........

So dishonest.

You dug your own hole with Shady when you gifted us with your hot takes about: his upcoming radio career, him being out of the league before he turns 30, him being over the hill, him only playing hard on nationally televised games, and crediting Taylor as having more to do with the ground game's success than McCoy.

What are you talking about? The best team in the NFL thought he was worth it.

Your whole premise is that MG is WAY more valuable than a 5th round pick, and we were foolish to trade him for one. That our GM is a complete idiot for letting him walk for a paltry 5th rounder in return. But yet, aside from the Patriots, ZERO other NFL franchises felt he was worth a 5th round pick. So, it's 31-1 with the Bills being on the side of the other 31 NFL teams that MG was unworthy of a 5th rounder. How does this at all imply that we laughably bumbled this?

3rd or 4th down and 5+ yrds to go MG leads the league over last 2 seasons and not even close. Converted 14 of 17 such attempts. Led the league in yrds per carry, td %, 3rd conversion %, etc. Lot of rbs in the league, one guy led those categories. Explain it any way you want but it is the truth.

A very good one on a team whose main strength is running the ball. It's a loss.

They need to get better at passing to win anything. They have a new coach. Perhaps he wasn't shot in the a$$ with all that running, or didn't think MG was the reason for the success running the ball. We don't know. He's a backup. Guys have career years , perhaps that was his. I feel confident that the Bills will be around .500 with or without MG on the team. Teams lose guys, they get other guys. The odds of this being a critical decision for the Bills success or lack thereof is minimal.

It's funny because Whaley seems so cavalier with draft picks with certain moves, then does this with Gillislee. I don't know what it means, but it doesn't appear that he has a cohesive strategy (as opposed to a team like Green Bay, for example).

The guy is good and those who think he'll be replaced easily are fooling themselves.

Those who think backup RBs win you anything in this league are fooling themselves. Why did MG get just a single offer sheet? From a team that doesn't need him nonetheless?

One thing people are missing is what the offense will look like under Dennison. Will it still be the run dominant one of the last couple years or will it be more balanced? If more balanced then that may have been involved in the decision making.

One other thought occurred to me. Remember the kickoff that MG messed up and didn't cover? Our new HC is big on detail. Wonder if that entered into things; if he has a backup RB he doesn't trust on special teams?

The guy is good and those who think he'll be replaced easily are fooling themselves.

Two guys that were out of the league and unwanted by all other teams put up essentially identical numbers in the same role/system over the last two years. Perhaps we'll not be able to replace him, but we did literally do just that by signing him off the scrap heap in the first place. I wouldn't say acknowledging that is "fooling themselves".

One thing people are missing is what the offense will look like under Dennison. Will it still be the run dominant one of the last couple years or will it be more balanced? If more balanced then that may have been involved in the decision making.

One other thought occurred to me. Remember the kickoff that MG messed up and didn't cover? Our new HC is big on detail. Wonder if that entered into things; if he has a backup RB he doesn't trust on special teams?

You don't get rid of a RB of his talent because of a very dumb mistake on ST. I doubt it had anything to do with it.

Your whole premise is that MG is WAY more valuable than a 5th round pick, and we were foolish to trade him for one. That our GM is a complete idiot for letting him walk for a paltry 5th rounder in return. But yet, aside from the Patriots, ZERO other NFL franchises felt he was worth a 5th round pick. So, it's 31-1 with the Bills being on the side of the other 31 NFL teams that MG was unworthy of a 5th rounder. How does this at all imply that we laughably bumbled this?

Think a lot of people forgot this little keynote, teams like The Giants and Vikings who have needs at the running back position did not go after MG.

So what? You get a cheaper younger RB.

I don't see the problem.

My point is that there was no need to draft an RB.

Now there is. The extra pick means using it for a player at a position that you just lost, instead of using the extra pick for a different position.

Yes, they can get a younger RB, I just wonder if that player can be just as effective. He could be, but we won't know that for sure.

NE won the SB and is a better team now then they were then. The Bills are worse right now then at the end of the season.

They might still lose butler, and be replacing him with gilmore. They will be replacing blount with burkhead/gillislee. I don't think your contention is that clear cut yet.

Think a lot of people forgot this little keynote, teams like The Giants and Vikings who have needs at the running back position did not go after MG.

Exactly. It might not have been the best decision, or maybe it was. It really is impossible to know now. But, to suggest that it was such a clear blunder when literally everyone who isn't the Big Bad Patriots agreed with us is a super stretch.

You have absolutely no way of knowing this.

That is right...but you could see how a fan would feel that way

It is up to the young group to come in and prove the fans wrong in that area.....guys like Lawson, Ragland, Listenbee, Jon Wililams....those guys have to show they can fill the gap

at the end of the day...that is the way the NFL works...you have to draft will in order to be competative.....rooks gotta step up

Well good news then.. unless the Bills are planning to part ways with Sammy we won't have much cap room next year either. $40mil doesn't go very far when you factor in that only 27 players are under contract for next year (not including PS players) and the salary cap is based on top 51. That $40mil also doesn't include this year's rookie class, next year's rookie class, Sammy Watkins, Eric Wood, or Kyle WIlliams.

So, if anything, be prepared for more of the same next year...

You have a very rudimentary understanding of the cap, Adam.

Suffice to say, you don't have a grasp on the situation.

Try looking at where all that accounted-for cap money is going in 2018..........then try to imagine what is going to happen to some of those players at their age and cap figure.

Going to be a lotta' money coming off the books just by sheer attrition and the cost of filling out the second half of a roster ain't what you think it is.

NE won the SB and is a better team now then they were then. The Bills are worse right now then at the end of the season.

I don't think they're much better if at all. Different perhaps, but not better. The Bills are marginally worse on paper, but probably better in the coaching dept and possibly better with a healthy ( I hope) Ragland, Watkins and Lawson. We'll see. Every season is it's own story.

Those who think backup RBs win you anything in this league are fooling themselves. Why did MG get just a single offer sheet? From a team that doesn't need him nonetheless?

Just a single offer sheet to become the highest paid rb on the reigning sb champs and to replace the NFL td leader. What a nobody. A random 5th rnd pick will easily replace him.

I'm sure it factored in to the decision on how much the backup RB is worth. At least somewhat.

13 pages of thread for Mike Gillislee....jesus

Solid player who made himself an NFL career. A good backup and a guy any NFL team would like to have on their depth chart. We literally picked him up off the scrap heap and the $ New England gave him is a lot for an RB2.

A 5th round pick will make way less money and offer way more potential to the organization than Mike. Plus, the Lombardi trophy should just be given to the Pats for the 17-18 season. Theyre winning the superbowl with or without gillislee and buffalo ain't going to be stopping it.

Easy decision to make. Calm down everyone.

Just a single offer sheet to become the highest paid rb on the reigning sb champs and to replace the NFL td leader. What a nobody. A random 5th rnd pick will easily replace him.

Again, a team that didn't need him at all. He was cut before coming to BUF? Had you heard of him? Did you think that a converted RB from FLA state would rip off 7 TDs in 7 games? There are guys out there waiting for their shot. The funny thing is, if the Bills had cut McCoy, you'd likely being saying " no big deal , we have MG"... that's a much bigger pair of shoes to fill

False.

Lost Gilmore, Brown, Woods, MG. We got two fullbacks, a safety, and a kicker. The CB tandom is one of the worst in the NFL right now, and the WR group outside of Watkins is a bottom tier group. The depth is worse.

13 pages of thread for Mike Gillislee....jesus

Solid player who made himself an NFL career. A good backup and a guy any NFL team would like to have on their depth chart. We literally picked him up off the scrap heap and the $ New England gave him is a lot for an RB2.

A 5th round pick will make way less money and offer way more potential to the organization than Mike. Plus, the Lombardi trophy should just be given to the Pats for the 17-18 season. Theyre winning the superbowl with or without gillislee and buffalo ain't going to be stopping it.

Easy decision to make. Calm down everyone.

Yep, way more excited to see what that 5th rnd pick will bring than keeping the most efficient back in the NFL last year. Yep

Again, a team that didn't need him at all. He was cut before coming to BUF? Had you heard of him? Did you think that a converted RB from FLA state would rip off 7 TDs in 7 games? There are guys out there waiting for their shot. The funny thing is, if the Bills had cut McCoy, you'd likely being saying " no big deal , we have MG"... that's a much bigger pair of shoes to fill

He proved his worth on the Buffalo Bills and what he meant to the Bills running attack.