Bills decline to match Gillislee offer sheet

Weren't the Bills pretty good at rushing the ball the previous year, with Karlos Williams as the backup RB? Might the team just be good at run blocking?

If that were true, why did MG lead the league in efficiency and J Will was a complete disappointment.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disappointed. He was good with us.

Yes we get another draft pick, but now RB becomes more of an issue, so we may have to use that pick on another RB.

So what? You get a cheaper younger RB.

I don't see the problem.

Gillislee, 26, was the Bills' No. 2 running back last season behind LeSean McCoy, rushing 101 times for 577 yards and eight touchdowns. Among NFL running backs with a qualifying number of carries, Gillislee led the league in yards per rush (5.71), rushes per touchdown (12.6), first-down rate on rushes (38.6 percent) and third-down conversion rate on rushes (75 percent).

Only one person led the entire league in all those categories. It was just random luck and anybody could have done it. A lot of running backs in the NFL but one guy led the league in all those categories. No big deal, he is a 5th round backup. Dime a dozen. What absolute fools the Patriots are.

I heard many of the same things about Karlos Williams the year before and how he was going to end up with another team and make us look like the fools that we are. I think our running game is a strength, or at least it was in the system we used the last few years, and someone else will step in as the number 2 back and take advantage of this strength.

Gillislee, 26, was the Bills' No. 2 running back last season behind LeSean McCoy, rushing 101 times for 577 yards and eight touchdowns. Among NFL running backs with a qualifying number of carries, Gillislee led the league in yards per rush (5.71), rushes per touchdown (12.6), first-down rate on rushes (38.6 percent) and third-down conversion rate on rushes (75 percent).

Only one person led the entire league in all those categories. It was just random luck and anybody could have done it. A lot of running backs in the NFL but one guy led the league in all those categories. No big deal, he is a 5th round backup. Dime a dozen. What absolute fools the Patriots are.

Ah yes, Gillislee is actually a secret superstar and the best RB in the league. Let's see who led the league in YPA the year before... Oh wow it's another 5th round backup RB named... Karlos Williams! Surely another secret superstar. Stupid Bills

And mountains of cap room the next couple years and nobody in-house to spend it on.

Bills fans should brace themselves for a flurry of free agent visits over the next two years as agents use them as leverage to get better deals in places they WANT to play..........and the Bills earn the right to overpay a bunch of dudes that don't mind losin' for a couple years if the price is right.....and then deal with their first year acclimation issues(see Clay and McCoy 2015) to boot.

The fact that this impacts their draft decision process AT ALL is bad in itself.

I assumed they'd pick a RB to rotate with MG when Shady is gone in 2018.......now one might not even be enough to keep them out of the RB market in round 1 and 2 in the next couple years.

With all parts of their running game intact I thought they had more options in round 1 but now starting to think they might overdraft a receiver or two as well.

ive been on board with you for most of the offseason, and this isnt much different. I think im a little less passionate about MG, but im not feeling thrilled going into the draft.

even if we have a great draft, it wouldve been nice to have 1-2 more pieces today.

Whaley gets late 5th rounder for productive short yardage, goaline back and elite backup to a 29 year old with ton of mileage.

Whaley trades early 4th round pick for fumbling bust Bryce Brown....

Yeah Whaley is a genius.

Zach Brown, Lorenzo Alexander, this guy. He found guys from scrap heap. I'll take the 5th rounder.

If the defense was average in 2016, the Bills would have made the WC and not Miami.

And would also have been disposed of by the Steelers. Regardless, it's a big assumption to make that no one is capable of getting the Bills some yards and TDs.

Does anyone remember the Bills leading the NFL in 3 and out's in 2015?

Was it The Big Clown who used that as proof that Tyrod was awful and it wasn't the Bills defense that was losing the team games? :lol:

Enter Gillislee.........and all of a sudden.......first downs start getting converted.

Look for a return of "why did the OC run Shady up the middle 3 times at the goal line and have to kick a field goal?".

Shady's short yardage and redzone cushion from 2016 is now gone.............HEEEEEEEEEEEAT Maps can't be far behind. :beer:

I felt the defense got them two wins last year not the running game. Whatever, they weren't close to the playoffs.

Yes they were. defense holds in the second game like they should off, then Taylor plays the last game. 9 wins right there. 10 wins was very possible. The defense was the biggest problem.

SMH MG is just another piece on NE's roster. On the Bills he was a much bigger piece on a roster far less talented overall then NEs.

Ironically, it's the opposite. Roles that is.

Why was that a mistake? Maybe they didn't want to pay him what that 2nd round tender was worth? No team was giving up a 2nd for MG.

It wasn't a mistake. People are spouting histrionics because they are so deeply hurt by the Patriots that they just assume this is some next level deception by Belichick to make them sad inside.

Nobody has been able to address this simple question:

If Doug Whaley committed such a grievous, fireable offense in criminally undervaluing Mike Gillislee to the extent that every team could just snatch him up for the "essentially free" price of a 5th round draft choice, why did literally ZERO other teams than the Patriots submit an offer sheet? If MG was worth SO MUCH MORE than a 5th round pick, would not all of the other teams that have actual competent GMs swoop in and collect their freebie?

Whaley probably sucks and the Bills are historically terrible, but they turned a scrap heap mid-season free agent that again ZERO other teams wanted into a 5th round pick. It makes the Whaley haters look bad to seize on this when there are tons of other legitimate examples of dubious decision making.

And would also have been disposed of by the Steelers. Regardless, it's a big assumption to make that no one is capable of getting the Bills some yards and TDs.

I don't care if they got trounced in the WC round. The playoff drought would have been over.

Lets just wait and see if the Bills have another backup who can lead the league in multiple metrics. It should be easy to find that one guy who is better than everyone else in so many ways. Piece of cake. Who is this Bill Belichek guy who thinks a backup is worth that much. What an idiot!

I recall that we called the Hogan decision the Bills "biggest blunder" over at the BBMB. Is this a bigger blunder?

In reality, neither were very consequential . I believe both teams land in the exact same place if either player was retained.

And mountains of cap room the next couple years and nobody in-house to spend it on.

Bills fans should brace themselves for a flurry of free agent visits over the next two years as agents use them as leverage to get better deals in places they WANT to play..........and the Bills earn the right to overpay a bunch of dudes that don't mind losin' for a couple years if the price is right.....and then deal with their first year acclimation issues(see Clay and McCoy 2015) to boot.

Well good news then.. unless the Bills are planning to part ways with Sammy we won't have much cap room next year either. $40mil doesn't go very far when you factor in that only 27 players are under contract for next year (not including PS players) and the salary cap is based on top 51. That $40mil also doesn't include this year's rookie class, next year's rookie class, Sammy Watkins, Eric Wood, or Kyle WIlliams.

So, if anything, be prepared for more of the same next year...

ive been on board with you for most of the offseason, and this isnt much different. I think im a little less passionate about MG, but im not feeling thrilled going into the draft.

even if we have a great draft, it wouldve been nice to have 1-2 more pieces today.

You're assuming that the Bills are going to replace MG with a draft pick as opposed to getting a bargain vet.

I don't care if they got trounced in the WC round. The playoff drought would have been over.

Every season is different, and what happened last year on O was not guaranteed to happen this year. Or on D. The O was pretty good in 2015 and they probably could have made the playoffs with a better D then. Or a better O in 2014. It guarantees nothing. I can't see the Bills getting to the playoffs with or without MG. They need a much better D and a QB.

When will the Bills management learn to play this game? First Hogan and now Gillislee. Add Gilmore and the NE Pats have slapped Whaley and company upside the head. Penny wise and pound foolish management.

I don't know if I'd call it passionate.....I just wanted them to tender him at a second round level and take it year by year..........I'm just tired of Bills fans being ignorant to the reasons why it's not fine to make bad decisions like they did wrt mis-tendering MG and then compounding it by letting him walk.

Frankly.....if I felt the way people depict that I do about Shady........this would be great for me because not having MG to do all the dirty work at a league-leading level threatens to cast him in a very poor light this year.

But yeah.......they could get a steal with that pick in round 5.......it's just much more likely that they will not.

When will the Bills management learn to play this game? First Hogan and now Gillislee. Add Gilmore and the NE Pats have slapped Whaley and company upside the head. Penny wise and pound foolish management.

Do you think with Hogan , Gilmore , and MG in the fold the Bills would unseat the Pats? Do you think that without these three players , the Pats would not simply plug in someone else from another team and continue to win? Don't let the fact that they sign a few Bills players cloud your judgement. I'm betting their Super Bowl odds across the country would be no different without these signings.

"Whaley probably sucks and the Bills are historically terrible, but they turned a scrap heap mid-season free agent that again ZERO other teams wanted into a 5th round pick. It makes the Whaley haters look bad to seize on this when there are tons of other legitimate examples of dubious decision making".

So a young talent that led the entire NFL in multiple metrics is exchanged for a late 5th round pick and that is somehow a win? No wonder this franchise has been losers so long. Sign two more fullbacks while you are still paying 1.3 million dead cap to your last one.

Edited by Turk71

"Whaley probably sucks and the Bills are historically terrible, but they turned a scrap heap mid-season free agent that again ZERO other teams wanted into a 5th round pick. It makes the Whaley haters look bad to seize on this when there are tons of other legitimate examples of dubious decision making".

So a young talent that led the entire NFL in multiple metrics is exchanged for a late 5th round pick and that is somehow a win? No wonder this franchise has been losers so long. Sign two more fullbacks while you are still paying 1.3 million dead cap to your last one.

Why did no other NFL team think MG was worth a 5th round pick at that salary, but we're the dumdums?

Does anyone remember the Bills leading the NFL in 3 and out's in 2015?

Was it The Big Clown who used that as proof that Tyrod was awful and it wasn't the Bills defense that was losing the team games? :lol:

Enter Gillislee.........and all of a sudden.......first downs start getting converted.

Look for a return of "why did the OC run Shady up the middle 3 times at the goal line and have to kick a field goal?".

Shady's short yardage and redzone cushion from 2016 is now gone.............HEEEEEEEEEEEAT Maps can't be far behind. :beer:

Yes, there are a lot of differing opinions on this move, I do believe we need heat maps to clear things up.