Bills decline to match Gillislee offer sheet

Can we get to 100 on this one too guys?

First..there was Chuck Norris, then Kiko ALonso.....now there is Mike Gillisee who beat them both in a bare knuckle brawl with both hands tied behind his back. He could run backwards for 100 yard touchdown and lift small skyscrapers in a single bound. His urine was ambrosia and he likes the way it tastes. His stare was known to make Zubaz pants drop and the occupant have a simultaneous orgasm and brain hemorrhage. He didn't run...he stood still and world moved around him.

MG baby.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who you gonna trust- Belichik or Whaley, when it pertains to personel decisions. It's laughable reading of all the "excitement" about this 5th round pick. Actually, it's cringe-inducing. Orgasmic delight over a 5th round pick? I guess it's no problem that Whaley's dilatory approach to situations like this lead to productive players departing. At least the Bills can invest this 5th rounder in a backup LB or something (if the player even makes the 53 when all is said and done).Comparatively speaking, the Patriots will, once again, kick the Bills ass this upcoming season.

Whaley is a disgrace. He's a Napoleonic little man who has undermined two consecutive coaches, and managed to shirk repsonsibility for the mediocre talent level of this rather putrude roster.

<Edited for political comment. Consider yourself warned. -Chandler#81>

I love how some people blame whaley for losing mg but give him no credit for finding him off the street in the first place and getting a 5th rd pick for him in a very deep draft, alot of good depth at the rb position

Arent mg's stats about exactly the same as karlos's the year before. Thats 2 years in a row 2 different players had similar stats in a bu role but now it will be impossible to replace that?

Who you gonna trust- Belichik or Whaley, when it pertains to personel decisions. It's laughable reading of all the "excitement" about this 5th round pick. Actually, it's cringe-inducing. Orgasmic delight over a 5th round pick? I guess it's no problem that Whaley's dilatory approach to situations like this lead to productive players departing. At least the Bills can invest this 5th rounder in a backup LB or something (if the player even makes the 53 when all is said and done).Comparatively speaking, the Patriots will, once again, kick the Bills ass this upcoming season.

Whaley is a disgrace. He's a Napoleonic little man who has undermined two consecutive coaches, and managed to shirk repsonsibility for the mediocre talent level of this rather putrude roster. I don't know which is worse: the Bills front office, or the Trump White House.

cool story Edited by Pbomb

Just saw posted by Sal M that the entire 2013 draft class is gone.

so is miami's and denver's. that's what happens when you change over coaching staffs twice in 4 years.

Not to mention that, "The 2013 NFL Draft may be one of the worst of the modern era." I bet if you actually looked around the league, most teams would have very few players left (or who are productive for them) from that draft.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/4/22/11419222/nfl-draft-2013-grades-first-round-revisited

Too often fans (and the media as well) look at each move as if it is in a vacuum. You can't. Running a modern NFL team is very complicated. It is not just whether Mike was a good player or not, he was. But you have to weigh in the coaching change and what the new coaches think of him. What scheme are they going to run and does he fit it well. You have to weigh in the salaries of the other 52-53 guys on the team and against the cap. You have to think about whose contracts are coming up next year that you will have to pay for and where the drafts are strong or weak both this year and next, etc. etc.

And to use the worst draft in the modern era to point out that the Bills suck is a bit disingenuous without mentioning that there are many other teams with few or no players left from that draft as well because it was historically bad.

I liked MG a lot and would have liked to see him stay, but as has been repeated by so many other posters, this is not going to make or break either our season, nor the Patriot's.

Tolbert and JWill can probably get us that same production and that doesn't preclude drafting a RB or bringing in another FA (which Whaley seems good at finding diamonds in the rough). Most teams do not keep 4 RBs and a FB or 3 RBs and 2 FBs. So, if we kept MG, do you cut JWill, a draft pick from just last year? That would be a waste. We got MG for nothing and ended up with a 5th round pick, while still having plenty of backs on the team and the draft still to come. No, the sky is not falling.

Edited by folz

Any team other than the Pats would get roasted for this. But it's the Pats so every move is gold! They traded a 5th round pick for a backup RB with one year of good production under a talented offensive line and Shady leading the way, not to mention a mobile QB on the field. I'm blown anyway anyone could think this is a smart move for them. I mean it ultimately doesn't mattter, they could burn all their picks this year and still likely win the Super Bowl. I'm just happy they gifted us a pick for a player I never expected to keep...

Agreed - and not only that, but he is the third RB they have paid this off season and now the Pats have 3 of the top 25 paid RBs in the NFL - a major issue (red flag) for any other team.

Every other team would get just destroyed for way overpaying for Mike and having to give up a 5th Round pick, but because of Brady it will not matter - the Pats have the cap space and Brady is what drives the offense - so they just gave another big contract for a minor complimentary player and it will work out just fine.

The guy is good and those who think he'll be replaced easily are fooling themselves.

The guy is good, but he came in to replace Karlos and we did not miss a beat. We drafted his replacement last year and I am not sure how great of a fit MG was with the new offense.

I think this was an acceptable move by the Bills. They did not overpay and NE just got rid of their ideal RB and replaced him with someone that does not fit as well and gave us an additional pick.

Do not blow this out of proportion because of your hatred for all things. We are talking about our third leading rusher and a guy that is now on his 4th team in 3+ years. We are the only team that got something for him and it cost us nothing.

Do you remember last year when Sammy went down? We had scrubs at wr because we had no depth. God forbid if shady and Sammy go down again. Would you be happy with Holmes and Williams starting?

How about you just calm down and what to see the actual final roster before going into panic. They might draft a guy like Davis or M Williams at 10 for WR. And as far as RB, they have three guys waiting to take Gillislee's spot. And none of them, including Gillislee, would replace a guy like Shady.

People need to understand that depth does not mean complete replacement. You don't have Pro Bowlers sitting behind Pro Bowlers.

Agreed - and not only that, but he is the third RB they have paid this off season and now the Pats have 3 of the top 25 paid RBs in the NFL - a major issue (red flag) for any other team.

Every other team would get just destroyed for way overpaying for Mike and having to give up a 5th Round pick, but because of Brady it will not matter - the Pats have the cap space and Brady is what drives the offense - so they just gave another big contract for a minor complimentary player and it will work out just fine.

yep. they are the best. and the Bills franchise is the worst. sucks they are in the same division. no playoffs for as far as the eye can see....

the Pats traded a 5th rd pick in this draft for one season of Barkevious Mingo, already gone to the Colts. Think about that. This season they are trying to replace Marcellus Bennett's production with Dwayne Allen (skeptical), Blount's production with 2 RBs they are collectively paying 7.5 mill for this season, and they traded a 1st round pick for a player they didn't need who is a FA in 2018. They also have no LT, in a terrible OT draft, where they don't pick until the 3rd round. Their moves have been far less than genius, but they have Brady and it doesn't matter (so far). Until he gets hurt. Edited by YoloinOhio

the Pats traded a 5th rd pick in this draft for one season of Barkevious Mingo, already gone to the Colts. Think about that. This season they are trying to replace Marcellus Bennett's production with Dwayne Allen (skeptical), Blount's production with 2 RBs they are collectively paying 7.5 mill for this season, and they traded a 1st round pick for a player they didn't need who is a FA in 2018. They also have no LT, in a terrible OT draft, where they don't pick until the 3rd round. Their moves have been far less than genius, but they have Brady and it doesn't matter (so far). Until he gets hurt.

I can't figure out why they would pay Gillislee more that they reportedly offered Blount. who had twice the yardage and 10 more TDs. Something is not right here.

How about you just calm down and what to see the actual final roster before going into panic. They might draft a guy like Davis or M Williams at 10 for WR. And as far as RB, they have three guys waiting to take Gillislee's spot. And none of them, including Gillislee, would replace a guy like Shady.

People need to understand that depth does not mean complete replacement. You don't have Pro Bowlers sitting behind Pro Bowlers.

I don't need to calm down. I just don't want to be in the same situation as last year. No depth. You need good depth in the NFL. That's why NE wins and we lose. We have terrible depth and now it just got worse. The way this team drafts I'm not putting my trust in them finding a rb as good as MG was.

I can't figure out why they would pay Gillislee more that they reportedly offered Blount. who had twice the yardage and 10 more TDs. Something is not right here.

they wanted Blount back and were trying to re-sign him. They finally gave up. Not sure how much he wants but looks like Pats value other team's players more than their own with all their moves this offseason.

Whaley is a disgrace. He's a Napoleonic little man who has undermined two consecutive coaches, and managed to shirk repsonsibility for the mediocre talent level of this rather putrude roster.

<Edited for political comment. Consider yourself warned. -Chandler#81>

While I wish we had kept MG, this isn't a fair comparison if you're saying Belichick is smarter than Whaley for paying MG.

The two teams have very different needs. They also have different salary cap situations.

The Bills - without MG - already have a lot of money invested in the RB position. And we have a star as a starter. MG is worth more to the Pats than he is to us.

In regards to Whaley, this has been a roughly .500 team on his watch despite having a .400 or .300 coach at the helm the past couple years. There must be some talent on board.

I don't need to calm down. I just don't want to be in the same situation as last year. No depth. You need good depth in the NFL. That's why NE wins and we lose. We have terrible depth and now it just got worse. The way this team drafts I'm not putting my trust in them finding a rb as good as MG was.

Playing in the AFC East helps NE win a lot also. Bills, Jets and Dolphins twice a year?

The same people complaining they didn't match would be complaining that they did match.

the funny thing is, looking at the crowds on each side -- the ones that complain just to complain seem to be complaining about posters instead of the bills. most of the ones frustrated with the move are those that can go either way on individual situations.

I'm not really interested in any of the FA vets out there. Would much rather draft one.

at this point, yup.

Do you realize how silly this sounds when you don't even acknowledge they did not draft MG. They picked up MG after he was cut by two other teams. We even released him once.

There is still a long time before the season starts. This roster is FAR from set. If we were about to be starting the regular season i'd be more worried about it.

We have the draft (and undrafted free agent signings). Lots of good players will be released between now and the start of the season too. Plenty of time still, to fill holes and add depth.

It sucks that Pats signed away another Bills player, but Whaley found Gilislee off the street. He wasn't even on an NFL team. Nobody thought he'd turn into anything and we were all very pleasantly surprised. I am hopeful that the same thing can happen again.

Whaley is pretty darn good at finding veteran role players. And who knows, maybe we already have a guy on the roster who can step in and fill the void.

"Kirk Buckley Yay...Now we have to HOPE Williams is good, when we already KNEW Gillislee was good. Meanwhile the Pats are laughing all the way to the Lombardi again with OUR players. Ooops, did I say that out loud? Maybe next year Buffalo. Go Bills..."

who is Kirk Buckley? Is this another opinion of some random person on twitter?

"Kirk Buckley Yay...Now we have to HOPE Williams is good, when we already KNEW Gillislee was good. Meanwhile the Pats are laughing all the way to the Lombardi again with OUR players. Ooops, did I say that out loud? Maybe next year Buffalo. Go Bills..."

Is there some reason I should give this guy's opinion any credence?

the funny thing is, looking at the crowds on each side -- the ones that complain just to complain seem to be complaining about posters instead of the bills. most of the ones frustrated with the move are those that can go either way on individual situations.

at this point, yup.

Why? It's obvious from Bills actions that they didn't value MG as the long term option, otherwise they would have made a bigger push for a long term extension. We'll soon find out why they are thinking this way.

But if their thought was to keep MG as a placeholder for a year or two, then adding a bargain vet is a better option than drafting an RB.

who is Kirk Buckley? Is this another opinion of some random person on twitter?

Facebook Buffalo Bills groups.

i liked mike too, but what a bizarre reaction from some. then again, i remember the meltdown the bbmb had when fred was cut, and for that, the outrage was a least more understandable.

I wasn't outraged with FJ because he was pretty much on the end of his career. MG is in his prime and was a very good player for us.

Is there some reason I should give this guy's opinion any credence?

Just a fan's opinion on this whole mess. He shouldn't take your opinion with any credence, by the way. works both ways.

I wasn't outraged with FJ because he was pretty much on the end of his career. MG is in his prime and was a very good player for us.

Just a fan's opinion on this whole mess. He shouldn't take your opinion with any credence, by the way. works both ways.

Did I say he should?

The Bills were not going to challenge NE this year with or without MG...NE is a shoe in for the AFC Championship game whether they have MG or my 79 year old father pounding the rock......It was the right decision to "not match" the NE offer.....

So this means the rest of the AFC teams should not try and be as talented as they can be and make the playoffs. Why should the Bills try and retain a good player just because they have a slight chance to be a WC team.

Another fans opinion. Is this what it has come to? We're using other fans opinions to validate the opinion of someone else?