QB TJ Yates Visited the Bills and now Signed to a Deal

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Not behind Manuel picking up bad tendencies.

2. Somewhere between PS and second string all based on his abilities and the coaching staffs evaluation.

He's not going to survive waivers to make to PS. Obvious conclusions are:

A) New staff has no faith in Jones and is ready to have him fight for a roster spot or be cut. Seems unlikely after one season as a "project" pick but maybe. More likely,

B) they aren't going to bring in another meaningful QB via the draft and will give Jones another season to prove he has the potential to take the job.

I can't say that I like this development.

Far better draft somebody with a chance to be someone rather that pick up a career journeyman as their final Qb. Honestly, just the fact that they brought him in concerns me. Are they seriously considering not drafting a QB in the first two days of the draft?

maybe not.

Better option is always the unknown... You don't grab a guy you know won't take you anywhere. If Tyrod gets hurt a rookie should be the next man up.

That's not the approach the vast majority of teams take. You assess the starting qb's injury and go with the veteran backup in every case unless it's a season ending injury and you have no playoff shot. Some vets can step in and win playoff games, usually rookies need more experience.

I've never seen any EJ-type clownshow gifs of him, so I would say so. If you have to take an ex-Texan, better him than Matt Scrub, Lurch Osweiler, or Hoyer.

TJ does have a negative TD to Int ratio (6:8). Not much of a sample size, but... yeesh!

It is beyond me that anyone can honestly say EJ is better than TJ. EJ is an automatic loss if he starts. Yates won't win you the game but he's far less likely to lose it for you ala EJ.

Really? Look at their numbers:

EJ: 17 starts (29 games); 19 TDs, 15 Ints; 58.3 completion %; 77.5 career rating

TJ: 7 starts (18 games); 6 TDs, 8 Ints; 58.1 completion %; 72.8 career rating

And, please don't tell some malarkey about the "eyeball test," or some such nonsense, unless you can honestly tell me you're an avid Houston fan and never miss a game with TJ under center.

I am going to go on a limb and say that this does not change the Bills draft strategy. If they land the QB they like at the pick position they want, they will take him. Then Jones and Yates can fight out for the 2nd/3rd spot.

I think I would give Cardale the edge on that competition.

I am going to go on a limb and say that this does not change the Bills draft strategy. If they land the QB they like at the pick position they want, they will take him. Then Jones and Yates can fight out for the 2nd/3rd spot.

Agree. Nothing the Bills have done this offseason precludes any move they could make in the draft.

Now we have 2 Taylors at QB. A career 72 qbr doesn't exactly get me excited, but he did help his team win a playoff game so he's already better than EJ/CJ....I'd still like us to draft a mid round guy....Peterman, Webb, Kelly?...

Edited by LABILLBACKER

Really? Look at their numbers:

EJ: 17 starts (29 games); 19 TDs, 15 Ints; 58.3 completion %; 77.5 career rating

TJ: 7 starts (18 games); 6 TDs, 8 Ints; 58.1 completion %; 72.8 career rating

And, please don't tell some malarkey about the "eyeball test," or some such nonsense, unless you can honestly tell me you're an avid Houston fan and never miss a game with TJ under center.

Really? Take a day and watch EJ's last 3 starts. Shove the stats. McCoach knows what he has in TJ and feels he won't be the complete fail EJ is should he be called on to play.EJ is a great guy and team player, but Just a bad QB.

It is beyond me that anyone can honestly say EJ is better than TJ. EJ is an automatic loss if he starts. Yates won't win you the game but he's far less likely to lose it for you ala EJ.

EJ's record in Buffalo was 6-10. More losses than wins, but not a guaranteed loss. Nice try though.

Really? Take a day and watch EJ's last 3 starts. Shove the stats. McCoach knows what he has in TJ and feels he won't be the complete fail EJ is should he be called on to play.EJ is a great guy and team player, but Just a bad QB.

Shove the stats? Stats are what people use to support TT and they also blame the defense for being bad.

Vic Carucci's Bills Wake-Up Call: Trading down best option [1:59 AM]

Buffalo News reports: 'For those who wish to believe the Bills' woeful passing game mainly resulted from an absence of great targets, there's an equally strong (if not stronger) argument that quarterback Tyrod Taylor didn't consistently get the most out of the ones at his disposal -- especially tight end Charles Clay. Picking Williams or Howard would, in many ways, resemble the thinking behind moving up to land Sammy Watkins in 2014 for the sake of helping to prop up former Bills QB EJ Manuel.

EJ's record in Buffalo was 6-10. More losses than wins, but not a guaranteed loss. Nice try though.

Shove the stats? Stats are what people use to support TT and they also blame the defense for being bad.

Vic Carucci's Bills Wake-Up Call: Trading down best option [1:59 AM]

Buffalo News reports: 'For those who wish to believe the Bills' woeful passing game mainly resulted from an absence of great targets, there's an equally strong (if not stronger) argument that quarterback Tyrod Taylor didn't consistently get the most out of the ones at his disposal -- especially tight end Charles Clay. Picking Williams or Howard would, in many ways, resemble the thinking behind moving up to land Sammy Watkins in 2014 for the sake of helping to prop up former Bills QB EJ Manuel.

Spend a happy day watching EJ's last three starts. It that's your guy, great. I'm moving on.

I'm not sure why there's a EJ vs. TJ debate here. It was never an either/or choice at OBD.

Whaley decided to pass on EJ who was, after all, a FA and not a Bill anymore. That decision left him needing a veteran backup.

TJ (despite his mediocre stats) was the obvious choice given his knowledge of Rico's offense. TJ will help Tyrod - and any other QB on the roster - understand the terminology and concepts.

There are some other backup QBs out there who could have brought equally mediocre arms. TJ stands out because of the Dennison connection.

It's common for HCs, DCs and OCs to want to bring in some guys who understand their scheme to help seed that knowledge with the other players.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Let's be clear about what I said. I was responding to your assertion that, "It is beyond me that anyone can honestly say EJ is better than TJ. EJ is an automatic loss if he starts." Did I say EJ was a good QB? NO. Do I think TJ is a good QB? NO. Do I think one is better than the other? I don't really know the answer to that question. But, I do know this: TJ Yeats' stats suck donkey balls. And, if somebody drew the conclusion that EJ > TJ, I can certainly understand why, and I don't understand how that would be "beyond you." His numbers are better, period. If somebody thinks that TJ > EJ, I'd love to know the rationale, and "EJ is just a bad QB" doesn't cut it.

... and I don't understand how that would be "beyond you." His numbers are better, period. If somebody thinks that TJ > EJ, I'd love to know the rationale, and "EJ is just a bad QB" doesn't cut it

Gee, it cut it for the Bills. They had all those numbers and it's EJ out - TJ in. I'll go with their rationale.

Exactly.

"Stats are for losers."

- Bill Belichick

Hopefully Cardale (or drafted rookie) shows enough in camp/pre-season to be our #2, because TJ kinda sucks (and yes, I would prefer EJ over TJ, and that's not me saying I think EJ is any good Edit: didn't realize TJ had experience with our coaches, nevermind about the redacted)

Edited by Dorkington