How has your life changed since we were in Super Bowl 28?

major

Wife, 2 kids, gray and thinning hair. Some great travel experiences and really not much to complain about.

Except for: 1 playoff series win for the Islanders, 2 WS losses and a small handful of playoff series wins for the Mets and then of course the Bills.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back then, I was an only child.

A few months ago I went out for beers with my brother when I visited him after he moved to North Carolina following his college graduation.

I feel like this story paints a much better picture of how long it's been.

Edited by sodbuster

Slightly off-topic, but since we last played in the Superbowl, the Patriots have played in the Superbowl EIGHT TIMES, if we include the game coming up this year.

Consistent cheating helps that number.

My life hasn't changed much since XXXVIII, except that my hatred for the Cowboys was exacerbated by a boss I worked for about 10 years later who (to this day) still doesn't let me forget about Superbowls 27 and 28...and how the Bills are an annual joke.

Started taking kids to games when they were 12 and 10. They went on to college got married, daughter blessed us with 2 granddaughters. Gotten to know Hammer like a brother. [Have made a ton of close friends from TBD]

Retirement seemed like a long way off and now it is 399 days away.

I still love the Buffalo Bills.

I was still in high school then, since then ...

I graduated HS

Did 5 years in the Marine Corps

Got married, had 2 kids

Went to college, graduated nursing school

Worked several jobs, made several moves

Got divorced

Have a 1 year old grandson

Got remarried, and to a Cowboys fan unfortunately so i have to hear about that crap often from her and her family

Hard to believe its so long ago. I was a freshman in college during SB 28. Since then, I went to college, got married, had 2 kids, and then went back to college....lost all but one grandparent and then both parents, then got divorced from the bane of my existence.

Finished primary school.

Went to 3 different high schools.

Almost went pro in cricket.

Two serious knee injuries/operations.

Dropped out of college (twice).

Got engaged.

Got un-engaged.

Got what my dad calls a "proper job".

Got fired from same "proper job".

Crippling depression.

The usual.

Edited by Blokestradamus

I graduated college got a real job, got married, bought a house had our first child, a son named Ryan sold the house moved 2 miles down the road in Lancaster, bought bigger house, had our second child a beautiful daughter named Alexis Shea(she was born the last year Shea Stadium was in operation & I wanted to name her after the Stadium I grew to love as a child), my son was one of those kids that for some reason really looks up to me(I have told him on numerous occassions to get a better role model) so he became an avid Mets fan & Bills even though I warned him against it. Have taken my son to many games now & it just makes me sad that pretty much one whole generation has been lost never experiencing Bills success. Ryan asked me last night actually "was it exciting to go to a home Bills playoff game." I told him it was unreal & the excitement level is off the charts. Other than that life is pretty good, still got both my parents but man time really goes by in a blink of an eye.

Back then, a Bills loss ruined my day. I was young and full of fire. Now, it's just stings and I shake it off knowing it's Bills business as usual. We've suffered so many years of bad football it is mind-numbing. Feels like a wasted football life clinging to this team for four decades.

I've become a bitter frustrated and angry old man

reality.jpg

The reality is only if the bun is full of vinegar and ****.

-finished out my tour with the Army

-got divorced

-got drunk

-got remarried

-started a career

-had a daughter (who's now 13)

-got less drunk

-divorced again

I've lived what seems to be a couple lifetimes since the Bills were last relevant.

Edited by joesixpack

I was in my 30's.

The Georgia Dome was a little over a year old and had hosted only 2 football seasons for the Falcons. This past Sunday, the Falcons played the last football game there and the stadium is scheduled for demolition. Since then, the Atlanta Braves started playing at a new stadium in 1997. They'll begin playing in a just completed stadium this April.

in 1994, I didn't yet have a personal computer at home.

I believe I had a Nokia cell phone, but we had to watch our minutes so we didn't run up insane bills. Paid extra for roaming outside of coverage area. I think I shared the cell phone with my wife. No texting, apps, web access, etc. It was A PHONE.

Our big TV was a 35" tube TV that weighed a ton and was expensive. We couldn't give it away today. I can get a 55' LED Ultra High Def flat screen for about the same price today.

We had to go to sports bars to see the Bills games every week that they weren't shown locally in Atlanta. We've enjoyed watching in the comfort of our living room since Directv in '97.

I've moved once (2005), married to the same woman that I'd married 3 months earlier, changed jobs a couple of times, met a huge network of new friends through local musician community 6 years ago, played in tribute band, lost several friends and family members, grayer, fatter, sorer, wiser, sleep in separate rooms now, yet still a Bills fan.

Went to the game, at 35 this was my 26th year following the Bills!

Had a blast and even though they lost and it cost $1,000 to scalp the ticket alone - it was worth it.

Got interviewed by CNN after the game. Hilarious piece that Gary Tuchman put together (sorry for the quality - it was an old VHS when I converted it):

http://youtu.be/XbtAGZOT4Do

Joined class action claim against Small World Travel - they reneged on providing game tickets as part of the travel package to the game; got a few hundred of the about $800 owed by them for cost of ticket.

I reneged on promise to my wife that I would buy her a bedroom set if I could spend $1,300 to take the game excursion.

Got divorced. Bottomed out. Got sober. Got a new girl. Got three grandkids and a newbie grandchild on the way.

Life is good.

Edited by WotAGuy

Started and finished elementary, middle, high school and college. Toured the country with my band multiple times. Several long term relationships began and ended.

Buried 3 grandparents, 2 best friends and dear family friend. Working in what I think may be my career for the past 6 years.

Along with my fellow millenials, we've never sipped a beer and watched the Bills in the playoffs. The losing has fundamentally altered the way I view, interpret and expect future results.

I'm like a rock

Same wife, same kids, same house, same job

Oh I got a dog 6 years ago, my whole life of 60 years, never had a dog. He's great!

I'm on my third Golden Retriever since then (she's 6 now), truly man's best friend! Through thick and thin....

I'm like a rock

Same wife, same kids, same house, same job

Oh I got a dog 6 years ago, my whole life of 60 years, never had a dog. He's great!

I have a dog as well (she's 6). It's without question the best decision that my finance and I have made. She was a puppy mill dog and we have a friend that's a vet tech. He needed a home for her. Without consulting Lindsey, I agreed (at a bar) to take her. He went back and picked her up and we came home with a dog. Briley has been the best thing that's happened to us.

I was an army lieutenant back then - young, fit, professional, can-do attitude, successful with the ladies...

Now I'm an aging fart, chronic back problems, Irritable Bowl Syndrome (a souvenir from a trip to a third world country), ever growing waistline, thinning/graying hair, prone to tell stories about the old days, happily married to a beautiful woman who could have done better.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I was an army lieutenant back then - young, fit, professional, can-do attitude, successful with the ladies...

Now I'm an aging fart, chronic back problems, Irritable Bowl Syndrome (a souvenir from a trip to a third world country), ever growing waistline, thinning/graying hair, prone to tell stories about the old days, happily married to a beautiful woman who could have done better.

Ain't life awesome? :lol:

Started and finished elementary, middle, high school and college. Toured the country with my band multiple times. Several long term relationships began and ended.

Buried 3 grandparents, 2 best friends and dear family friend. Working in what I think may be my career for the past 6 years.

Along with my fellow millenials, we've never sipped a beer and watched the Bills in the playoffs. The losing has fundamentally altered the way I view, interpret and expect future results.

My kids have never witnessed a Bills playoff game and have only seen them be mediocre. They are Bills fans, but they fully expect them to be mediocre every year and are not disappointed when the are. And why wouldn't they?

My oldest is a Cleveland Cavs fan. He was elated and ran around the house giddy as a schoolgirl when they won the championship. The next day he said he hopes he gets to experience that same feeling someday with a Buffalo team.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I was at the game. I could of sold my ticket for $2,000. I thought about it as i was a senior in H.S. I wanted to see the Bills more than the money.

I buried my dad. The man sent me to three Super Bowls, and got me started on the Bills.

I finished HS, College, opened a business. Got married and divorced and engaged now. No kids yet, i hope that is the next chapter. Ready to pass down being a Bills fan to a son or daughter. Even though my fiance says no way.

Great question and responses. Made me think a bit. Was married at the time, now I'm not. Lived in TX at the time, now I'm not. The friends I had in TX have moved on, as have I. Had a great dog (black Lab - Tex), now she's gone. I've seen teams in other cities that I lived in, that I did not cheer for, win championships (TX, NC, OH) and wonder what it would be like if a Buffalo team would win. After watching the great players from that era play and retire, I've gone to Canton to see their induction in the HoF. I've picked up two activities that I truly love - cycling and yoga. I learned to appreciate the simple things and the finer things. I learned to appreciate true friendship.

My daughter was 5. Now I'm going to be a Grandpa in April. That kid is going to be a parent before we make the playoffs, I'll be 6 feet under before we make the SB again.

Gained 40 pounds, a wife and a kid

All muscle, right!?

I was just over a year into my new job / career as a Correctional Officer. Now all these years later I'm just over a year from retirement. I now have two "children"...one is a Jr in college, the other is graduating high school. The girls are Bills fans. In fact, I sent one across country to go to school at St John Fisher. Still married to the same wonderful lady. Those are the main changes...too many small ones to list. What gets me is my pending retirement. Maybe in my final year they'll go complete circle and make it back. Also shocking, my girls haven't seen the Bills in a playoff game...pretty much sucksville since they've been born. They let me know it too.