defense how good???

gordong

One sack away from eclipsing last years total. So, there's that

Not exactly saying much, as last year's D was a disaster. But yes, the arrow seems to be pointing up. The addition of the injured guys should only help. Unless it doesn't. (Sorry)

I'll let you know in a couple weeks after we play the Dolphins and Cheatriots......

You play well and win those games, who knows how good they can be. They get severely outplayed, well, it will be time to reevaluate.

But we should have a much better idea of how good they will be after a couple of key Division games.

Not exactly saying much, as last year's D was a disaster. But yes, the arrow seems to be pointing up. The addition of the injured guys should only help. Unless it doesn't. (Sorry)

actually it is saying much, we are on targe to hit 54 sacks this season, you know the same amount we had with the Shwarz!

Who do they replace? LoRax? Washington? Kind of a Dak Prescott situation. In any case, I think they will both be rotated in slowly.

Seems like theyve been resting LorAx in the 3rd already (can someone show numbers?). Shaq could just get the reps that they are already resting LorAx

Exactly. I don't see a Dareus who hasn't played in forever coming in and dominating.

Agreed. Im not expecting much from Dareus until after the bye probably

At a minimum though the addition of Shaq and Dareus will keep everyone fresher, which is always a good thing

Who do they replace? LoRax? Washington? Kind of a Dak Prescott situation. In any case, I think they will both be rotated in slowly.

Rotate them in.

I for one am not excited to get Darius back. I love the chemistry this defense has going now and don't like the idea of toying with it at this point. Also, what do we do with Shaq? Do we really want to take Lorax off the field?

Agreed. Im not expecting much from Dareus until after the bye probably

At a minimum though the addition of Shaq and Dareus will keep everyone fresher, which is always a good thing

Rotate them in.

I think it is just this.

The plays Humber or Spikes Mcray might have gotten might get taken by Lawson , Dareus can line up anywhere so he can spell all 3 spots on the line.

I think it is just this.

The plays Humber or Spikes Mcray might have gotten might get taken by Lawson , Dareus can line up anywhere so he can spell all 3 spots on the line.

humberwas all over the field when he got in. Not sure if this was him chasing plays like poz or what

I get the reluctance to force Shaq into the lineup, and agree he'll need to rotate in slowly. Who knows how good he is or isn't?

But anyone who thinks Dareus doesn't dramatically improve this defense is crazy.

Sure, he might need a couple of games to shake off the rust, but he creates problems for the offensive line that no one else does/can. Unless he is out of shape, he starts. Period. Maybe not the first game back, but I'd be shocked if he isn't the starter and getting the bulk of the snaps in the rotation by his second week back. Whenever that is.

How much better can the defense get with Shaq, and Dareus coming back (hopefully this week)?

Impossible for Dareus not to make a positive impact, given his caliber of play.

He WILL improve the D. He will also make everyone around him better. A total sports cliche, but that is true for Marcel.

Shaq? He is much more of a wildcard. He may not have nearly the impact we would hope for.

We will find out when he returns...and the sooner the better!

actually it is saying much, we are on targe to hit 54 sacks this season, you know the same amount we had with the Shwarz!

It's a totally different style defense.

Under Schwartz it was constant heavy pressure on the QB that eventually lead to sacks - but that team got ran on pretty well.

Rex's defense doesn't rely on pressure but confusion to lead to sacks and it emphasizes shutting down the run (gap control).

Talent > game shape right now for Dareus IMO, especially since he'll be introduced in a reduced capacity.

Hypothetically, the same for Lawson. Not a bad time to get in the rotation with Jerry and Lorenzo playing well.

The residual affect of a better rotation should be felt for the vets as the mid-way point is quickly approaching.

Can you imagine a more fresh Hughes in the 4th quarter. Guy never stops, as is.

Three December games in OP, What a novel idea to shut down the run...

When's the last time the playing conditions were so bad in December that would warrant building our entire defense around it? Shutting down the run is important in any weather so I don't know what you're talking about.

It's a totally different style defense.

Under Schwartz it was constant heavy pressure on the QB that eventually lead to sacks - but that team got ran on pretty well.

Rex's defense doesn't rely on pressure but confusion to lead to sacks and it emphasizes shutting down the run (gap control).

Your 100% right broski! The fact is tho, we are playing like we might match the 54 sacks Shwartz scheme got us! The Run Def KILLED us in the Oakland game in 2014 though. Man if only...

There is a play every game where Darby or Gilmore is beat for a long TD and the QB overthrows it. This will be a problem when we get into the meat of our schedule.

Dreading the Pitts game because of this alone. Rothli can hit those throws even when the guy is well covered. Thats gonna be a game won in the trenches with our Def getting the pressure on him.

Edited by Marty McFly

Look at the snap counts. Both LoRax and Jerry Hughes are far from playing 100% of the snaps. Now who do you suppose is filling in when they go out? I think McCray is gone?

I get the reluctance to force Shaq into the lineup, and agree he'll need to rotate in slowly. Who knows how good he is or isn't?

But anyone who thinks Dareus doesn't dramatically improve this defense is crazy.

Sure, he might need a couple of games to shake off the rust, but he creates problems for the offensive line that no one else does/can. Unless he is out of shape, he starts. Period. Maybe not the first game back, but I'd be shocked if he isn't the starter and getting the bulk of the snaps in the rotation by his second week back. Whenever that is.

Agree that Dareus is a disruptive force on that line and can require double -teams. The question is that the current line is playing very well together....they have chemistry. Does Dareus come in and disrupt that chemistry or will be a team player. Last year he definitely was upset at how Rex was using him and he spoke out about it.

Your 100% right broski! The fact is tho, we are playing like we might match the 54 sacks Shwartz scheme got us! The Run Def KILLED us in the Oakland game in 2014 though. Man if only...

Dreading the Pitts game because of this alone. Rothli can hit those throws even when the guy is well covered. Thats gonna be a game won in the trenches with our Def getting the pressure on him.

Not if their defense shows up like against Miami this sunday. I will take another 300 yard rushing game which will keep Big Ben on the sidelines.

Agree that Dareus is a disruptive force on that line and can require double -teams. The question is that the current line is playing very well together....they have chemistry. Does Dareus come in and disrupt that chemistry or will be a team player. Last year he definitely was upset at how Rex was using him and he spoke out about it.

Dareus was not a problem last year. He loves John Blake and there is no question his return (at full health) is not going to "disrupt" the Bills' chemistry. He is the only player the Bills can put on the DL that absolutely commands double teams, which obviously frees someone else up. I can't wait to see him hit the field.

I think it is just this.

I'd say lorax will lose some snaps. We play a lot of nickel, and Shaq is a good fit for the other end of a nickel with Hughes. I'm sure he'll still play the majority though

There is a play every game where Darby or Gilmore is beat for a long TD and the QB overthrows it. This will be a problem when we get into the meat of our schedule.

100% agree about Gilmore!! Re-watch Sunday's game and focus on him. He seems to take half of the plays off. He blows coverage often and avoids contact with running backs once they have past the line of scrimmage. I was a fan but he has become a joke this year. No new contract for this bumb

Bum

We've been using Spikes to set the edge more and more, my guess would be that he's affected more by Shaq's return than Lorax

I like the rotation of people we use. PB/ZB seem to play mike/will the whole game even when we switch to a nickel - i think humber is probably relegated to teams/primary inside backup. Spikes has seemed to be playing run downs - and more against running teams. Lawson may take some of these snaps away. Other than that the d-line rotation will probably just add dareus in for a good half of the snaps to start. Not sure, but i think someone ends up on IR to make room for Shaq.

Your D is good enough be a playoff team IMO. I agree with the other poster who says you will know more after a couple of weeks, more specifically how they do against Brady and the Pats O.

I'll go on a limb and say the Bills D finishes top 10 in scoring D

100% agree about Gilmore!! Re-watch Sunday's game and focus on him. He seems to take half of the plays off. He blows coverage often and avoids contact with running backs once they have past the line of scrimmage. I was a fan but he has become a joke this year. No new contract for this bumb

Bum

He's been up and down for sure this year. No doubt.

Darby has been wildly inconsistent as well IMO. He largely avoids any criticism given the large contingent of fans who despise 24.

Our secondary as a whole has been blah. Hoping Dareus and Lawson can impact this w/ more pressure.