1. 1. Should OJ's #32 be unretired?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not retired. IMO, it's ridiculous to try to pretend that OJ Simpson isn't one of the greatest Bills ever who is also one of the greats in NFL history.

Agree that just looking at OJ the football player he is one of the best ever. Maybe second only to Jim Brown.

However, not unlike Pete Rose the football player is also a person who has a life and impact beyond the field. I don't think his jersey should be officially retired. However, as a means to avoid controversy it should also not be assigned out until after OJ has passed on. To me this seems like a balanced approach to the issues.

The fact that OJ turned out to be a despicable human being does not diminish his accomplishments as a football player. I don;t want to see #32 being worn by anyone at Buffalo. If I recall, Buffalo has only officially retired one number and that is #12 and soon to also be #78. Other numbers are just not handed out. Keep not handing it out.

Would anyone want to wear it?

You'd be surprised. Our udfa this year didn't know about the Bills SB's until he watched the 30 for 30.

In a few years kids won't have been born until after the OJ trial.

It won't mean the same to them as it does to people now.

Tim Graham is a putz.

What OJ did on the football field has nothing to do with what a scumbag is his off it, if that was the case you could probably take a bunch of people out of the HOF. The guy was and still is in the top 3 players to ever be a Bill.

Agree that just looking at OJ the football player he is one of the best ever. Maybe second only to Jim Brown.

However, not unlike Pete Rose the football player is also a person who has a life and impact beyond the field. I don't think his jersey should be officially retired. However, as a means to avoid controversy it should also not be assigned out until after OJ has passed on. To me this seems like a balanced approach to the issues.

I agree totally

No way. One of the best ever. Point.blank Period. I'm betting most of the people who vote yes never lived through his heydey or saw him play live.

Besides, his son did it.

Tim Graham is a putz.

What OJ did on the football field has nothing to do with what a scumbag is his off it, if that was the case you could probably take a bunch of people out of the HOF. The guy was and still is in the top 3 players to ever be a Bill.

Um ... there is a huge difference between a garden-variety a-holish knucklehead-mook athlete and a double murderer. No one compares to OJ in terms of vileness. Basically, you can't compare like to like because there is no like to like. Rae Carruth is your best comparable.

I honestly can't believe there's a contingent here who argues for keeping it up. The fact that he was a good football player pales in comparison to what he did.

It isn't retired is it? If they had officially retired it they should un-retire it. But they didn't. I think nobody wearing it is a sensible step. I wouldn't want to wear it I don't think because it would become a story.

They should remove him from the wall though in my opinion.

It shouldn't be retired or honored in any way but no one would wear it anyway.

I agree with this. I also agree that Timmah sucks at his job.

For the love of everything holy or unholy ... get his name and number off the wall and never have any reference to 32 in any current or future Buffalo Bills stadium.

The sooner that number, jersey and the player who wore it disappear, the cleaner this planet will be.

It isn't retired is it? If they had officially retired it they should un-retire it. But they didn't. I think nobody wearing it is a sensible step. I wouldn't want to wear it I don't think because it would become a story.

They should remove him from the wall though in my opinion.

Right. Let's pretend he never existed. Let's get rid of the Washington Monument and the Jefferson Memorial too since they both did despicable things to other human beings as slave owners. The notion of erasing people from history is nonsensical IMO.

Right. Let's pretend he never existed. Let's get rid of the Washington Monument and the Jefferson Memorial too since they both did despicable things to other human beings as slave owners. The notion of erasing people from history is nonsensical IMO.

Great point. The sooner people realize that being good at football is as important to American history as being the leader of our nation, the sooner we can make America great again!

Wow. That's a well thought out and well reasoned opinion. I totally agree.

The fact that OJ turned out to be a despicable human being does not diminish his accomplishments as a football player. I don;t want to see #32 being worn by anyone at Buffalo. If I recall, Buffalo has only officially retired one number and that is #12 and soon to also be #78. Other numbers are just not handed out. Keep not handing it out.

Agreed completely.

No way. One of the best ever. Point.blank Period. I'm betting most of the people who vote yes never lived through his heydey or saw him play live.

Besides, his son did it.

all this

Good perspective gentlemen.

OJ is a piece of chit. i will not buy , watch or support anything with his name attached (with the exception of bills tickets).

his football accomplishments fall under the category of what is done is done.... they should not be erased, removed or undone.

i just prefer we never celebrate, honor, invite and or include him in anything going forward.

his number should be buried on the owners exempt list (I made that up) , never used again.

OJ is a piece of chit. i will not buy , watch or support anything with his name attached (with the exception of bills tickets).

his football accomplishments fall under the category of what is done is done.... they should not be erased, removed or undone.

i just prefer we never celebrate, honor, invite and or include him in anything going forward.

his number should be buried on the owners exempt list (I made that up) , never used again.

Yes to everything here.

Tim Graham presents a provocative point of view that the Bills should unretire #32. What say you?

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/05/11/bills-shouldnt-shy-unretiring-no-32/

I'm in favor of it.

No, No and hell no. You guys obviously never saw him run. Post NFL crap aside still the best running back I ever saw. He could stiff arm a guy and run over him. Flat out run around the other team or break a guys jock a la Barry Sanders all at 6'2". 2nd fastest guys in the league when he was there behind only Cliff Branch. So no dont do it just because twitts are bandwagoning against OJ. Sorry this imo is an irresponsible stupid thread that caters to the trumpisms of the world and Graham has long been known for his hatred of the Bills, heck the guys is from Miami but wasnt good enough to get job down there.

I agree with this. I also agree that Timmah sucks at his job.

For the love of everything holy or unholy ... get his name and number off the wall and never have any reference to 32 in any current or future Buffalo Bills stadium.

The sooner that number, jersey and the player who wore it disappear, the cleaner this planet will be.

Wrong! just plane politically correct wrong.

The thought police are at it again. Just because post NFL the man did something henious, doesnt mean he should be erased, both sides of his greateness and vileness should be remembered imo.

Edited by North Buffalo

How have you survived with never watching the Naked Gun movies? you poor poor soul

Just to set the record straight, I'm fiddy tree and OJ started me listening to football (yes, listen, because the Bills were almost never on TV back then). I watched him set the record and then go over 2000. I thought Dickerson's record didn't count because he needed 16 games to do what OJ did in 14. I thought OJ was innocent. So if you disagree with this thread, fine. But don't tell me I never saw him run. Dude was my boyhood hero. There's no need to denigrate anyone on either side of this issue.

Ultimately, I don't really care if the jersey is retired or unretired. But if I were a Pegula, I would need to provide an opinion and it would mirror BuffaloBill's.

The unofficial retiring of the number is a tribute to OJ the football player, not OJ the man and murderer. I would leave the status quo unchanged.

As an aside, I also agree that OJ was one of the all-time greats. Preternaturally talented - without question the best football player I've had the privilege to see play (having been born to late to watch Jim Brown). And sadly, later, he morphed into human scum (CTE?) who did horrible things.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Just to set the record straight, I'm fiddy tree and OJ started me listening to football (yes, listen, because the Bills were almost never on TV back then). I watched him set the record and then go over 2000. I thought Dickerson's record didn't count because he needed 16 games to do what OJ did in 14. I thought OJ was innocent. So if you disagree with this thread, fine. But don't tell me I never saw him run. Dude was my boyhood hero. There's no need to denigrate anyone on either side of this issue.

Ok so i stand corected you saw him run, sorry the rest of what I said still stands, this thread is Orwellian group think inspired and should be deleted and Graham is still a POS imo and has always been anti Bills. Edited by North Buffalo

That's where you lost me.

That's where you lost me.

I'm talking about the personal attacks. It's sufficient to disagree, but first, I didn't see him run, then I was irresponsible, and now I'm part of Orwellian group think. The board does way too much ad hominem. Both sides were expressing their views honestly, and for the most part, without personal attacks. I'll never understand why some people on this board think that they have to engage in personal attacks to make their point.

It's not retired. IMO, it's ridiculous to try to pretend that OJ Simpson isn't one of the greatest Bills ever who is also one of the greats in NFL history.

It's obviously a highly unusual situation. i don't think there is a good answer. What he did on the football field speaks for itself. His off field actions should not and have not kept him out of the Hall of Fame. He belongs there. The closest comparison, although not exact, is Pete Rose.

WRT the number that is a tough one. The Bills had not officially retired any number until Kelly's so technically the number is fair game. I don't think the Bills can win here though. Keep it unofficially retired and they could look like they're ignoring the off field issues. Unretire it and it will do nothing but open a different can of worms. Lose lose. Maybe the best bet would be to give it to a guy you know will be cut once or twice in preseason and then finally break down and give it to a guy who will stick. Even that is sort of unfair to the kid who will be cut.

The Hall of Fame honor was given for his immense on the field talents and achievements. With no standard set for retiring a number the Bills could say it is on field + contributions outside of football.....OJ fails in that area.

OJ's number is retired for what he did on the field. What he did off the field is despicable. But un-retire his number to appease the political correctness movement? No. Give these goons looking to control the language of society an inch and soon they'll be demanding we rename Washington DC too.

Imagine some rookie RB trotting onto the field wearing number 32.

On the one hand, it will hard for fans not to make comparisons. And when it comes to skill running a football, the rook will be found sadly wanting.

On another hand, it will be hard for fans not to be reminded of the horrible murders committed by OJ.

Why force a RB to deal with all the baggage that comes with that number?

Why force fans to remember OJ and his terrible legacy?

Leave the number unofficially retired.

Edited by hondo in seattle

What OJ was found innocent of and what he was found guilty of happened 20-30 years AFTER his playing career.

Do all social justice warriors like Tim Graham think life is backwards compatible?

The player OJ has nothing to do with the person OJ 30 years in the future.

Don't get me wrong... Social justice is great, but let's fight it when issues are ripe.

I'm talking about the personal attacks. It's sufficient to disagree, but first, I didn't see him run, then I was irresponsible, and now I'm part of Orwellian group think. The board does way too much ad hominem. Both sides were expressing their views honestly, and for the most part, without personal attacks. I'll never understand why some people on this board think that they have to engage in personal attacks to make their point.

And I am expressing my opinion about the veracity of the topic itself not you personally. Since when is it not fair game to criticize a topic. Especially one involving Tim Graham... is that you Tim???

Imagine some rookie RB trotting onto the field wearing number 32.

On the one hand, it will hard for fans not to make comparisons. And when it comes to skill running a football, the rook will be found sadly wanting.

On another hand, it will be hard for fans not to be reminded of the horrible murders committed by OJ.

Why force a RB to deal with all the baggage that comes with that number?

Why force fans to remember OJ and his terrible legacy?

Leave the number unofficially retired.

Lawrence Phillips would have looked good in that 32.

OJ's number is retired for what he did on the field. What he did off the field is despicable. But un-retire his number to appease the political correctness movement? No. Give these goons looking to control the language of society an inch and soon they'll be demanding we rename Washington DC too.

Yup they already renamed Washington National airport. Edited by North Buffalo