Meanwhile…at Big Blue HQ

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how this keeps happening, buuuuut Saint Doug being mentioned in the top tier of would-be candidates to replace Coughlin:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/12/30/who-would-be-the-candidates-to-replace-giants-coughlin/

Sean Payton and Doug Marrone mentioned for the same job... :blink:

LaCanfora was proposing Marrone as a strong candidate to replace Payton in N'Orleans should Payton go elsewhere.

I think Marrone has the BEST agent in all of sports.

I'd like to see someone tweet something factual like "Congratulations to Saint Doug Marrone for achieving a league-mediocre 13th in rushing YPC, 12th in QB hits, and an astounding 26th in QB sacks with the Jacksonville Offensive Line. The Jags improved 7 entire places from 32nd in QB sacks last year to 26th this year and only dropped 6th places from 7th to 13th in YPC to compensate.

Edited by Hopeful

LaCanfora was proposing Marrone as a strong candidate to replace Payton in N'Orleans should Payton go elsewhere.

I'd like to see someone tweet something factual like "Congratulations to Saint Doug Marrone for achieving a league-mediocre 13th in rushing YPC, 12th in QB hits, and an astounding 26th in QB sacks with the Jacksonville Offensive Line. The Jags improved 7 entire places from 32nd in QB sacks last year to 26th this year and only dropped 6th places from 7th to 13th in YPC to compensate.

I want to see Marrone embarrass himself out of the league just as much as the next guy for the way he disrespected Buffalo. But the fact is there are plenty of positives in the jags offensive numbers Marrone can point to on the interview trail. He can even present himself as a miracle worker. 32 to 10 in scoring offense. Bortles up more than 20 points in rating and near the top the league (35) in TD passes with Marrone and Hackett.

I want to see Marrone embarrass himself out of the league just as much as the next guy for the way he disrespected Buffalo. But the fact is there are plenty of positives in the jags offensive numbers Marrone can point to on the interview trail. He can even present himself as a miracle worker. 32 to 10 in scoring offense. Bortles up more than 20 points in rating and near the top the league (35) in TD passes with Marrone and Hackett.

Then an important interview questions would be "Why should we believe you are responsible for the Jaguars improvement on offense and not Greg Olson?" Next question should be "Why didn't we see the same improvement in Buffalo with EJ Manuel?"

Then an important interview questions would be "Why should we believe you are responsible for the Jaguars improvement on offense and not Greg Olson?" Next question should be "Why didn't we see the same improvement in Buffalo with EJ Manuel?"

The only important thing is that the owner that hires Doug has some positive numbers to sell to the team's fan base. First coach to win in buffalo in a decade. Brought syracuse, a bottom 20 program before and after him, into the top 40. Brought jags from 32 to 10. Turned Bortles into a top 10 QB.

The only important thing is that the owner that hires Doug has some positive numbers to sell to the team's fan base. First coach to win in buffalo in a decade. Brought syracuse, a bottom 20 program before and after him, into the top 40. Brought jags from 32 to 10. Turned Bortles into a top 10 QB.

Just asking but did Marrone have anything assigned to him with regard to Bortles? I thought he was online coach.

Bortles didn't seem horrible this year, but seems 50/50 to be a top 10 QB in the league moving forward. Far far better than Talleywhacker for example but he made some real bad throws against us.

Yeah, more comments from Bills fans but hurt over not getting the satisfaction of seeing Marrone fired and instead dumping them. The only people in the league who don't think he is a decent coach are Bills fans, and right now there are many of them that think Rex Ryan just needs time to turn things around.......

Yeah, more comments from Bills fans but hurt over not getting the satisfaction of seeing Marrone fired and instead dumping them. The only people in the league who don't think he is a decent coach are Bills fans, and right now there are many of them that think Rex Ryan just needs time to turn things around.......

What about Doug Marrone's time here made you think he was a decent coach?

He was 6-10 his first year here. Rex should be 8-8 but no worse that 7-9. Maroon got a gift from Bill*** in a meaningless game for him when he rested his starters for three quarters.

He was 6-10 his first year here. Rex should be 8-8 but no worse that 7-9. Maroon got a gift from Bill*** in a meaningless game for him when he rested his starters for three quarters.

Marrone got the gift of the healthiest team in a decade with a dominating defense and barely had a winning season.

Wait wait wait wait. Marrone is officially responsible for the OL. The OC is Greg Olson. The OL has made a modest improvement, from 32 to 26th in sacks given up (which may have more to do with a rookie QB becoming more confident and quicker at his decision making), at the cost of falling from 7th to 13th in rushing yards per attempt, but they aren't exactly lighting the league on fire or even top-10 as an OL by any metric.

Why exactly does Marrone, the OL coach, get to claim credit as a "miracle worker" for something Olson is achieving as OC and a 3rd chap who worked for him last year may be achieving as QB coach? If I had an interviewee claim credit as a "miracle worker" for an area of responsibility outside his job description, he'd have to talk very persuasively about why and how. While he was at it, he could explain how Buffalo's "aging and unathletic" OL worked so much better with two smaller, un-behemoth-like guards, after he left.

Side note I understand Pears is back to playing OK as a RT, the position he can play adequately.

I think you dropped a word. I think most people in the league don't think about him as a decent coach at all. He left Buffalo while the verdict was still "not proven". The offense significantly improved with Roman and the OL significantly improved with Kromer. The one thing I think everyone gives him credit for is hiring good DCs and staying out of their hair.

What about Doug Marrone's time here made you think he was a decent coach?

That, and also (to the OP) what about the league makes you think football people (not Schefter and LaCanfora) think about Marrone as a decent coach?

Edited by Hopeful

Marrone, as much of a maniac as he is, is actually a decent coach. I felt like we were fairly well coached while he was here and Jacksonville credits him as an asset where he is now. He works hard and is a smart football guy.

Edited by dayman

He can thank this years bills for that.

Marrone, as much of a maniac as he is, is actually a decent coach. I felt like we were fairly well coached while he was here and Jacksonville credits him as an asset where he is now. He works hard and is a smart football guy.

He can't take criticism, which is why things went south so fast here. Coming from SU where everyone worshiped him, he wasn't used to people ripping on him.

Teams interviewing Marrone for their HC'ing positions are merely fulfilling their Rooney Rule requirements. Little known sub-clause of the RR requires teams to interview at least one mentally disabled quitter, crybaby prior to making a hire. Nothing to see here.

Now that's funny. The G-Men are known like the Steelers for not switching coaches quickly so first Coughlin could be ok if he wins tomorrow. Also, if you look at the flaws it is not so much the future HOF Coach, but the GM. Reese has wiffed so many times in the draft, it is not even funny.

If they do let Coughlin retire with dignity, i could only see Payton first, and Smith second. They would never hire Maroon (in my humble opinion). Now Payton would be smart to hire Schwartz as a solid DC as he hasn't been able to get a solid defense since he had bounties on people's heads, oh that's right that was our old head coach, GW.

hahahaha just spit out my vodka

Because EJ Manuel is EJ Manuel.

Now that's funny. The G-Men are known like the Steelers for not switching coaches quickly so first Coughlin could be ok if he wins tomorrow. Also, if you look at the flaws it is not so much the future HOF Coach, but the GM. Reese has wiffed so many times in the draft, it is not even funny.

If they do let Coughlin retire with dignity, i could only see Payton first, and Smith second. They would never hire Maroon (in my humble opinion). Now Payton would be smart to hire Schwartz as a solid DC as he hasn't been able to get a solid defense since he had bounties on people's heads, oh that's right that was our old head coach, GW.

Payton has all the hallmarks of a Mara hire but it's very Big Blue to bring Coughlin back for the last year on his contract. What they gave him for a team this year was a joke - Reese has been horrible - particularly with LB's and the TE position. Throw in not having 2 of your elite go-to guys: the dumb moronic July 4th JPP incident and Cruz's recurring injury. If they go south next season again, the entire GM/Coaching staff get blown up.

Nowhere does Saint Moron figure into anything they do there. Too classy and smart an organization to dip down.

Marronne is a better HC than an OL coach. He is interviewing for HC positions, not OL coach.

Was it not LaConfora who was pimping Marrone as the can't miss candidate after he quit the Bills? Some connection there?

I think David Shaw would be an interesting hire and could make it in the NFL.

David Shaw would be an interesting candidate if interested. However, what may not interest him is having to work and deal with your run of the mill NFL intellect after having had the experience of coaching intelligent, stay out of trouble Stanford athletes. But money could certainly change that perspective. What it frequently comes down to is comfort level, i.e. successful college coaches working in excellent environments and basically being pampered become comfortable with that and prefer to stay put rather than move to the uncertain netherworld of the NFL or NBA. But money can talk, as it did for Steve Spurrier, for better or worse.

Marronne is a better HC than an OL coach. He is interviewing for HC positions, not OL coach.

I think the 2002-2005 NY Jets players would disagree and most notably RB Curtis Martin who had a career year running behind Marrone's line in NY. He sings St Doug's praises as do the linemen themselves.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/48179/former-jets-star-kevin-mawae-gives-doug-marrone-a-thumbs-up

Also, let's not forget that Marrone is from NYC. Gotta remember that a lot of NFL exec's like Polian look at Marrone as a young Bill Parcels type clone.

I would imagine he's on the B-list

Payton is a great fit for them but they're doubtful to surrender a pick for any coach. Ben McAdoo (their current OC) would be the smart choice to maintain the offensive side of things. Cannot see Marrone jumping McAdoo or even a Hue Jackson. I just do not like the way that guy handled his departure here..it speaks to his character. I would have to think the brass at Big Blue are going to dive deep into why if they're remotely serious.

His College and NFL HCing record is below .500. That should be exciting for his next miracle!!

Based on what? His sub .500 record? Or, that he has never called a bad game as an OC...because he NEVER has?

Not sure how this keeps happening, buuuuut Saint Doug being mentioned in the top tier of would-be candidates to replace Coughlin:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/12/30/who-would-be-the-candidates-to-replace-giants-coughlin/

Sean Payton and Doug Marrone mentioned for the same job... :blink:

We can only hope Marrone gets hired by the Dolphins so we can sweep them again.