Matt Cassel re-signed, will be #2 QB

YoloinOhio

I agree with the position that Cassel goes in as the number two on game days. And if Taylor goes down for any real length of time, unless Cassel lights it up, that EJ would later start the rest of the season. The team obviously was comfortable with EJ being the number two because they had no assurances whatsoever that Cassel would not take another offer. It's also possible he said he wanted to be #2 or he wouldn't sign and they gave it to him.

Yeah, I agree.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read that EJ was moved to 3rd string , if i was him i would be so pissed !!

I would also ask for a trade because his upside is 10 times that of Cassel's, plus what he proved in the preseason with his performance he deserved the back up position !! And is a better fit to a Roman offense than Cassel .

The kid just can't get a break no matter what he does .

Yep. Cassel being an experienced vet makes him a better choice for an emergency no-notice start.

+1

I just read that EJ was moved to 3rd string , if i was him i would be so pissed !!

I would also ask for a trade because his upside is 10 times that of Cassel's, plus what he proved in the preseason with his performance he deserved the back up position !! And is a better fit to a Roman offense than Cassel .

Simmah down now! Simmah da damn down now!

I agree with the position that Cassel goes in as the number two on game days. And if Taylor goes down for any real length of time, unless Cassel lights it up, that EJ would later start the rest of the season. The team obviously was comfortable with EJ being the number two because they had no assurances whatsoever that Cassel would not take another offer. It's also possible he said he wanted to be #2 or he wouldn't sign and they gave it to him.

If he (Cassel) does go in though they have to change a lot more for him than EJ because he is not mobile at all !!

I think EJ has every right to be totally pissed because unless as you say Cassel said he would come back only if he was made #2 then this is a total slap in the face to EJ .

Especially after he out played Cassel in the preseason & deserved the back up position !!

And his age & upside is much better than Cassel's !!

Interesting development...

Not a big fan of this move though...

I guess I should just realize this team is going to do everything they can to assure EJ is gone after next year...

So be it...I certainly hope TT turns into Russell Wilson 2.0...Then none of it really matters... B-)

If he (Cassel) does go in though they have to change a lot more for him than EJ because he is not mobile at all !!

I think EJ has every right to be totally pissed because unless as you say Cassel said he would come back only if he was made #2 then this is a total slap in the face to EJ .

Especially after he out played Cassel in the preseason & deserved the back up position !!

And his age & upside is much better than Cassel's !!

To be fair, Cassel barely played in the preseason, and by all accounts outplayed EJ during practice and training camp. In the two games he did suit up and see very limited action in he was 13 of 15 for 83 yards, no TDs/no Ints. Certainly a respectable showing, especially considering he played against the 1st string D both games.

Not saying Meh is anything more than Meh, but he did earn the right to make the roster. Being a veteran of 13 years, it makes sense to have him holding the clipboard and mentoring. Let EJ learn at #3, without pressure, and see how things play out.

I cannot say I'm surprised. His obvious grasp of the playbook will make him invaluable to both Tyrod and EJ as a veteran mentor and, worst case scenario, we have a game manager that can take the reins if the other two get injured or flame out. Not really a fan of his game, but I respect him as a team player with the knowledge of a vet with playoff experience on our despised nemesis in NE.

I like the move. Cassel is floor insurance. The floors for both TT and EJ are uninsurable. They may both end up way better than Cassel - God, I hope so. But they could both totally tank as well.

If Cassel is seriously the number 2 QB, this will cut down on EJ's reps in practice, which is not insignificant. Even if EJ is the long-term #2 in case of injury to Tyrod, the practice part will slow down his development.

Although maybe running the scout team gives you more reps?

I like the move. Cassel is floor insurance. The floors for both TT and EJ are uninsurable. They may both end up way better than Cassel - God, I hope so. But they could both totally tank as well.

If Cassel is seriously the number 2 QB, this will cut down on EJ's reps in practice, which is not insignificant. Even if EJ is the long-term #2 in case of injury to Tyrod, the practice part will slow down his development.

Even 2nd QB rarely gets any practice reps.

I've been desperately hoping to see something outta EJ like many. The fact this happened tells me he just isn't there yet.

As I re-watched all the preseason games, what I noticed is when EJ gets time and a clean pocket he does nice things. When there is a blitz or a pocket break down and he needs to get it out quickly, he struggles.

Further emphasizing the contrast, it was remarkable to me how calm and composed Tyrod looks in the pocket. On one play a blitzer came unblocked off of the corner. Tyrod stepped up and got it out quickly. On another few plays he was buying time outside of the pocket, but didn't have that look of running for his life... (I believe because he knows how much faster and more athletic than any of the front 7 he is...)

What I believe they love about Cassel is the ball is out fast, every time, all the time.

This my friends, foes and EJ supporters looks like the nail in the coffin of EJMs career in buffalo.

I have gone through many different emotions regarding the Buffalo Bills QB situation over the last three seasons, but now I am genuinely starting to feel bad for EJ Manuel. As much as I'd love to see him perform well for the Bills, I think he needs to get out of here. Such blatant and undeserved (in my opinion, of course) disrespect.

That we had a plan all along to at least get Tanney on the PS shows we had plans and options set up.

It is great to see this FO making the right moves, using contingency plans, etc. I wonder if there is something in the works with regard to the OL with Dareus coming back.

If you wanted to screw with the opposing team, you could start a different quarterback every week, just like preseason.

Or rotate them in and out if one of them isn't having a great game. What is the downside to that?

I'm surprised teams don't do this already - there's no rule you have to stick with one quarterback. Even if you have a blue chip like Aaron Rodgers, why expose your best quarterback for entire games if you don't need to?

Yup- at latest, the second time the bills play the pats, Bellicheck will have figured out some weakness in Tyrod no one else knew at this stage. Just hope it's overcome without having to resort to Meh. Edited by over 20 years of fanhood