Hallelujah- A Professional OC .....FINALLY!!!

Excepting Gailey and Gilbride we haven't had an offensive coordinator that a Bills fan could believe in in forever. Couple that with the fact that Whaley has created the fastest roster we have ever had. Furthermore, our players look crisp at top speed. I attribute this to proper coaching and increased reps with the two field practices. Without injecting the QB argument into this, they looked like they all knew where they were going for the most part. The O-Line looked lightyears beyond where they were in REGULAR season games.

This team looks PREPARED. This offense looks FAST, both in tempo, execution and player speed.

For once, I don't feel like I'm talking myself into a good record. I don't feel like I'm peering through rosed colored glasses. This Offense should be a minimum of ten spots higher in end of the season rankings on most fronts. Tell me why I'm wrong.

Excepting Gailey and Gilbride we haven't had an offensive coordinator that a Bills fan could believe in in forever. Couple that with the fact that Whaley has created the fastest roster we have ever had. Furthermore, our players look crisp at top speed. I attribute this to proper coaching and increased reps with the two field practices. Without injecting the QB argument into this, they looked like they all knew where they were going for the most part. The O-Line looked lightyears beyond where they were in REGULAR season games.

This team looks PREPARED. This offense looks FAST, both in tempo, execution and player speed.

For once, I don't feel like I'm talking myself into a good record. I don't feel like I'm peering through rosed colored glasses. This Offense should be a minimum of ten spots higher in end of the season rankings on most fronts. Tell me why I'm wrong.

Your right! I think one big difference this year is that the players really have high expectations for themselves and the team too. I think when you know your team is not great, you might not believe that your gonna pull it out in a tough game, or maybe some players will think about things just a little bit more selfishly. I think they've all got a bit of a chip too b/c they don't have a good/proven qb and all anyone in the national media is telling them is they would be lucky to make the playoffs. That would burn me up if people kept telling me it doesn't matter how good you are, you don't throw the ball.

Chan was figured out pretty quick, though definitely limited with personnel. Gilbride was basically run passed out of town.

Gilbride looked mentally ill in his unwillingness to run the ball regardless of down and distance.

We'll see what Roman looks like in real games with real plans, but he's certainly promising.

Chan was figured out pretty quick, though definitely limited with personnel. Gilbride was basically run out of town.

Chan did a very good job scheming around poor talent. He was a good play caller for the limited talent he worked with. But yeah it was smoke and mirrors on an offense that needed it.

Chan did a very good job scheming around poor talent. He was a good play caller for the limited talent he worked with. But yeah it was smoke and mirrors on an offense that needed it.

Yeah that 5 wide never got old....

It's preseason , so I would temper any enthusiasm . Though certainly having an OC from a former top contender in NFC is a big step up.

Of course but the difference is so noticeable that it's hard not to be a little excited.

Are you implying that Marrone "the offensive line guru that he is" didn't have a clue with his O line coach he had last year ??

And that his OC didn't have his players playing at a high level ??

Say it ain't so !!

Did you see the NFL top 100 on NFL network? Eric Wood talking about game plan to NOT double JJ Watt because he didn't require any extra attention in Texans game!?

Are you implying that Marrone "the offensive line guru that he is" didn't have a clue with his O line coach he had last year ??

And that his OC didn't have his players playing at a high level ??

Say it ain't so !!

From last night Roman looked better than any OC I can remember, even those guys who were limited because they were too focused on certain types of plays. Even though we were vanilla last night the sequence of play calling in the first half was great. Taking advantage of the difference between Cassel and Taylor for example. It looked like we could run all types of plays and well. The solid OLine play was a big help too. Everything has to work together but when done well a good OC can make a QB much better than what he may really be. I guess Cassel's play in NE is a great example of that way back when.

Actually, when you think about it it's amazing to me what Chan accomplished in a passing offense with Fitz as the QB and Johnsn, Nelson, Jones, Roosevelt, etc. as WRs

I agree completely and it does bode well, IMO. This is the best coaches team since the Marv Levy days

Greg Roman's vanilla play-calling was better than Hackett and Marrone's in-season playcalling. The offensive line is now playing to their strengths and our running game will be greatly improved.

1.Screens, bootlegs, play-action, motion. We now can actually evaluate the talent on the offensive side of the ball.

2.Control the line of scrimmage. This Bills team looks like they will be able to punch weaker teams in the mouth and if you can't stop the run it will be a long day now.

3.Another great draft for Whaley. Darby looked like a rookie but I am not going to freak out because he can't cover 6'5'' receivers. He did make several nice pass-breakups and was always in the right area. John Miller looks like another great pick that will improve our pass and run protection. Karlos Williams was an absolute steal as he looks like the perfect compliment to McCoy. Disappointed by O'Leary but you can't win them all.

4.Tyrod Taylor has the lead to win the job and if he can develop some chemistry with Watkins and Harvin, look out! Cassel is better than Orton.

5. EJ still gives me that uneasy feeling but I hope we keep him. He has the tools and this is his first year with real NFL coaching. If Taylor gets hurt I want EJ here instead of picking up someone else on the scrap heap.For everybody that has written him off, I think EJ can at least be a good NFL backup with some upside still there.

6. On defense, Gilmore will be good but I think he will be a whipping boy because he will give up some big plays at times.

Greg is the Rex of offense with multiple fronts and offset lines, I'm gona be sad when he leaves.

In all seriousness...If you could not tell the difference a real NFL OC had on the way the Bills played and executed on Offense then you're not paying attention...It seemed pretty obvious...Even for the 1st preseason game... B-)

and then Rex says we didn't show anything, love it, can't wait for the opener!

They didn't really game-plan, but I think this first preseason game highlighted great fundamental coaching from the OC to all his assistants. The players were playing good football. I was really encouraged by Miller when he cleared out the DT on 3rd and long, giving Cassel a wide open passing lane for (I think) his longest throw of the game. 17 yards to Clay?

And to think it really was just basic stuff and not his normal fukkery, this was quite a debut for Roman. It's such a difference to have good offensive coaching, good assistants, play calling, and playing to your players individual strengths. I didn't know you were allowed to do all those things.

Agrees with all of the above. The only thing I can think of as a negative is that someone mentioned that it seemed odd that they ran it up the middle on third and long with Cassel.

But with only one new player starting on the O line, it seems to be playing far, far better. No matter who winds up starting I think Roman can scheme an offense for them.

Gilbride looked mentally ill in his unwillingness to run the ball regardless of down and distance.

We'll see what Roman looks like in real games with real plans, but he's certainly promising.

Yup, I don't remember a more vilified coordinator. Maybe wanny, but that was a quick year

I think we'll see the offense take the big step forward that the defense made when Pettine replaced Wanny.

It's only one preseason game, but it looked and felt completely different. How is it we could show nothing, and yet it still felt like so much more than what we were used to? Did we get less than nothing last year?