Van Miller Update (Update - RIP)

gomper

I am sure the BN will do a nice write-up tomorrow, but he had an amazing run...far more than just the Bills.

Niagara basketball

Braves basketball

It's Academic

Local bowling shows

Channel 4 sports anchor

...and I am sure many more that I don't remember.

No doubt the greatest sports broadcaster in WNY history.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP Van....may heaven be filled with your "play by play"

One of the last links to growing up in North Tonawanda, a bunch of kids huddled around a radio listening to Van call the Bills. RIP!

Lots of great Bills memories!

There's so many YouTube clips of Rick jeanerette and many of the great calls over the years. Yet there's barely any for van? Why is that? Did everyone lose all of the audio from the 90's?

I would do anything to get his audio from the 1960's!

It's Academic was an important part of my childhood. What I'll always remember best, though, is "Ferguson ... back to pass ... throws to Gant ... and it is ... dropped!" Ad infinitum.

Great post, I forgot about Its Academic. He also had "Let's Talk Sports" with Stan Barren and Dick Rifenberg arguing for a half hour.

Great post, I forgot about Its Academic. He also had "Let's Talk Sports" with Stan Barren and Dick Rifenberg arguing for a half hour.

I will never forget when Jim Dunaway blocked a FG against the Jets in 1966, pretty important game played in cold and windy conditions at the Rockpile. Dunaway raced 78 yards giving the Bills a 14 - 3 win, you could hear Vans voice throughout my neighborhood.

I was 8 years old when I first heard Van call a game. It's a voice and a style that forever rings in head. I collect antique radios, and would crank up an old Motorola or Crosley to hear that voice on game days well into my 50's. Nothing sounded better than Van on an old 5 tuber. He called some of the iconic games of my life. We were privileged to have him. Peace to Van and his family.

Chuck Healy was also on Let's Talk Sports, I used to watch it every week when I was a kid. :thumbsup:

Just a point to make......

Van Miller's passing is not covered at NFL.com (even though it's the off season - actually the slowest news cycle on the NFL calendar ) yet Fox News has the story .... Nice of them to recognize Mr. Miller. Link:

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/07/19/longtime-buffalo-bills-announcer-van-miller-dies-at-87/

It's Academic was an important part of my childhood. What I'll always remember best, though, is "Ferguson ... back to pass ... throws to Gant ... and it is ... dropped!" Ad infinitum.

"Fergy back to pass, pressure's on, he's running backwards, and they've got him, 15-yard loss and here comes Greg Cater, the Bills are out of field goal range. How do you like that!"

Sad day, but his legacy will forever be remembered by the countless games he called, I use to turn down the tv volume and listen to his broadcast, the game never synced with the audio, but I never cared.

Van came into Red Lobster once with his big fur coat on, along with his wife. I was about 16 or 17 at the time and I gave him my star struck "i appreciate you..." BS speech after delivering some food. He got angry at me and said in a stern voice "Do you know who I am? I'm Van Miller, sports director for Channel 4 and the voice of the Bills, I'm to be left alone when I'm out and I demand my desserts for free!" I wasn't 100% sure that he was joking, but I fired back with "I'm XXXX XXXXX, alley coordinator at Red Lobster. I'll give you free dessert after I get mine!" He laughed really hard, gave me a tip, and said good job with the joke.

That dude was funny, a really cool guy, and he will forever be the voice of the Bills in my head. When I think back of all those Super Bowl memories, I don't recall the TDs, sacks, and wins without sound. I recall them with Van's play by play and that makes those memories even better. Rest in Peace Van, you can eat all the free food you want now! And, you can call our Super Bowl victory from the best seat in the house when it happens (hopefully very soon).

CJ classy as always

@CJSPILLER: RIP TO VAN MILLER my condolences to your family and friends

Just a point to make......

Van Miller's passing is not covered at NFL.com (even though it's the off season - actually the slowest news cycle on the NFL calendar ) yet Fox News has the story .... Nice of them to recognize Mr. Miller. Link:

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/07/19/longtime-buffalo-bills-announcer-van-miller-dies-at-87/

here is ESPN tribute

@kevconnorsespn: @kevconnorsespn: If you missed it-our tribute to the late #VanMiller tonight. A legend & an icon. RIP. @buffalobills http://t.co/PUhNCtdYwe