Van Miller Update (Update - RIP)

gomper

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Van Miller is and always will be the voice of the Bills as far as I'm concerned. Van represents a lot and the best of my football fan life. When he goes a piece of me goes with him. Love you Van, thanks for representing us as only you could. I guess it's Fandemonium!

I got to meet him while in high school. I was on our school's It's Academic team, and Mr Miller was the host. What a nice, kind, gracious man. I'll never forget him. And that voice. I don't know what it was that made it so nice to listen to. Just the right amount of enthusiasm to reflect what he knew the fans were feeling, but still a little professionally detached. He was obviously a Bills fan (and was a Bills employee while doing the games, I think) but I never heard him criticizing the refs for screwing the Bills.

Van could make me feel I was at the Ralph or where ever the game was even if I was sitting in a chair at home. I often listened to Van and not the TV feed. I was at the Ralph (Rich at the time) for the comeback but I never tire of listening to his broadcast of that day. Fandamonium.

Van, get well soon, you are part of who we all are, you helped create these crazy Bills fans.

My Dad worked at the Buffalo News for 44 years and was good friends with Larry Felser. In college in the late 80's I worked at the news to pay for college both on the docks loading the trucks, but eventually in the front office delivering inter office mail all day. Well I spoke many times to Mr. Felser and once my dad was talking to him and Van Miller came up. I introduced myself, and as you would imagine, he was nothing but gracious and a gentleman.

I'm very sorry to hear he's not doing well. It is tough getting old. I worry now about my Dad as he is turning 85 this August. It's hard to watch the ones you love get old. Thankfully my father is still very healthy and still golfing. He just doesn't move like he did his whole life.

Lastly, Howard David was on NFL Radio yesterday morning and he was sharing how many play by play guys yell too much, and do not call the games as they are supposed to be called. He mentioned at one time Van and talked about what a consumate professional. I thought that was pretty cool.