Van Miller Update (Update - RIP)

gomper

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow Van Miller has managed to become underrated in Buffalo sports lore. Why does Rick Jeanneret get SO much more attention as being a legendary broadcaster than Van Miller? This is something I have always wondered. I LOVE Rick Jeanneret and I will certainly miss him when he is gone too but I always thought he was more than a little hammy. Van Miller was the absolute best. John Murphy was so good as a color man back then too. That broadcast was perfect- it was the voice of my childhood. I am glad John Murphy is the head announcer now because of the link there but he will always be a color man in my opinion. Van Miller is my favorite sports announcer of all time, in any sport, and it's not even close.

Somehow Van Miller has managed to become underrated in Buffalo sports lore. Why does Rick Jeanneret get SO much more attention as being a legendary broadcaster than Van Miller? This is something I have always wondered. I LOVE Rick Jeanneret and I will certainly miss him when he is gone too but I always thought he was more than a little hammy. Van Miller was the absolute best. John Murphy was so good as a color man back then too. That broadcast was perfect- it was the voice of my childhood. I am glad John Murphy is the head announcer now because of the link there but he will always be a color man in my opinion. Van Miller is my favorite sports announcer of all time, in any sport, and it's not even close.

Same here

CBF

Agreed, but unless you listened to Van back when he was doing local college basketball, your only reference was the 14, then 16 game seasons. Rick Jeanerette had 82 game seasons, so more exposure to the masses.

I remember Van driving past our house in Kenmore in the 70's riding his little moped, with the old school helmet with the plastic bubble facemask on it. He would scoot up in the late afternoons for the 6 O'clock broadcast and then return after the show. He would toot the little horn if you waved since he knew my dad and our house. Get well Van!!

It may have something to do with the simple fact that Rick is still announcing games and Van has been retired for a while now. Bills and Sabres fans my age (mid-late 20's) only heard Van as little kids, and those a little younger never heard him at all but hear RJ all the time. Even those old enough to remember both going back decades have much more recent memories of RJ. We may have to wait until RJ is out of the game a while to see who is ultimately more revered in broadcasting lore.

Working in radio for many years, I know just how difficult it is to go unscripted for hours at a time without repeating and regurgitating the same stuff. Van kept it fresh, kept it real and did it with style and enthusiasm that perfectly mirrored the emotions of his listeners. He never pumped up the action, he called it as it was. When Van got excited,it was for real, we knew it, so we caught that excitement from him. I missed him the moment he retired. I hope he hangs in there to enjoy the ride ahead.

Edited by Green Lightning

Van was a great football announcer, but I think he was an even better basketball announcer. Back in the 70's, Van's station lost the rights to the Bills games (the unfortunate Al Meltzer era), leaving Van free to do Braves games full time. I don't think I've ever heard a better hoops play by play man!

When the Braves left, my interest in the NBA dropped to zero, probably because there was no Van Miller doing any NBA games.

Agreed on Van, not so much on Murph. I miss Van even more now having to be subjected to John Murphy. I just don't think Murph is very good and doubt I'd miss him if he were to be replaced. Maybe that's because I was spoiled by all the great years of Van.

Van was a great football announcer, but I think he was an even better basketball announcer. Back in the 70's, Van's station lost the rights to the Bills games (the unfortunate Al Meltzer era), leaving Van free to do Braves games full time. I don't think I've ever heard a better hoops play by play man!

When the Braves left, my interest in the NBA dropped to zero, probably because there was no Van Miller doing any NBA games.

I loved Van on the Buffalo Braves play-by-play. Unlike today, very few games were televised in the '70s. My brother & I would listen to all of the Braves games on the radio as kids while playing around the house or lying in bed at night. We were also glued to Van's Bills calls for the many non-televised home games at Rich Stadium. I feel very fortunate to have grown up listening to the likes of Van Miller, Rick Azar, Ted Darling, & Rick Jeanneret. They were fantastic during an era when many of the broadcasts were radio only. What a beautiful picture they painted in the mind of a young, Buffalo sports-crazed boy. Thanks for the memories, guys. Get well soon, Van...you've got a lot of people pulling for you. :) BTW, thanks to all of you posters with the personal anecdotes about Van. Very cool. B-)

Agreed on Van, not so much on Murph. I miss Van even more now having to be subjected to John Murphy. I just don't think Murph is very good and doubt I'd miss him if he were to be replaced. Maybe that's because I was spoiled by all the great years of Van.

I loved Van on the Buffalo Braves play-by-play. Unlike today, very few games were televised in the '70s. My brother & I would listen to all of the Braves games on the radio as kids while playing around the house or lying in bed at night. We were also glued to Van's Bills calls for the many non-televised home games at Rich Stadium. I feel very fortunate to have grown up listening to the likes of Van Miller, Rick Azar, Ted Darling, & Rick Jeanneret. They were fantastic during an era when many of the broadcasts were radio only. What a beautiful picture they painted in the mind of a young, Buffalo sports-crazed boy. Thanks for the memories, guys. Get well soon, Van...you've got a lot of people pulling for you. :) BTW, thanks to all of you posters with the personal anecdotes about Van. Very cool. B-)

I'm not sure we do disagree. I don't think John Murphy is a very good announcer at all. The only reason I like him at all is because of the link with the old broadcast and the familiarity of his voice. Like I said, I did like him as a color man with Van back in the day. Do you ever notice how he constantly messes up little things- like he'll say the wrong score or he'll allude to the wrong team the Bills are playing? He does it a few times every game. Anyway the fact that this thread is still only on the second page speaks to my original point that Van Miller is underappreciated. Edited by metzelaars_lives

Well wishes to you Van and I'm saying a prayer for you as I'm typing.

I used to go to a dear friend of the families house for most Bills games and that dear friend has since passed. I remember him specifically buying a sound system so we could mute the TV and put Van on. I'm sitting in my home office in Charlotte NC and it's like I can hear the sounds of that living room with Van calling the game.

He is the best football PBP man I have ever heard and it isn't that close. He announced it like a fluid hockey game. There was constantly information passed. He would build intensity throughout the game and through each play. You would know down and distance, time, yard line, how they are lining up, which way the flags were blowing, how the crowd sounded, etc... during the play you would hear where the ball is going, including depth... with Murphy, one of my main complaints is you don't know much detail before and during plays.

Van was a homer a bit, but nowhere near the level as home guys nowadays who outwardly hoot and holler.

The guy who got me listening to sports radio. He made the games more exciting than they were. I remember making my way around the stadium when I got there for the home opener against the Vikings in 1988 and I ran into him. Very gracious man. My thoughts are with him and his family.

Edited by seq004