Deflate-gate investigation complete

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we all please agree to not respond to Watkins on this?

Yes sir. I learned my lesson after getting a warning point for responding to his nonsense in the McDavid/Eichel thread.

True. What are the stages of grief? Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance? I don't think many Pats fans will ever past denial, to be honest.

Luckily for them, the league will never do much of anything to force them past that stage. Brady and the Pats will get off with a relatively light punishment.

Edited by Brandon

A little (or a lot of) cheating can do that for you.

You know ... I've pretty much always been of the mind that the cheating they've been caught for was a) not necessary for them to win and b) borderline trivial.

But after this, I'd have to think there must be some somewhat significant punishments being handed down. The league needs to look at the history and not this one particular incident, in my opinion.

I honestly don't think that any of their cheating has helped them win games. But ... it's still cheating and there needs to be consequences.

Brady should get a year suspension or even a ban. This violates the integrity of the game. But ray rice only got a couple games for KOing his wife so Brady will probably get a bonus.

Exactly how I feel. How can you go more against the 'image' the league wants to protect than what Brady did? Deliberately cheating and also bribing others (seemingly against their will) to cheat as well.

Brady should get a year suspension or even a ban. This violates the integrity of the game. But ray rice only got a couple games for KOing his wife so Brady will probably get a bonus.

Ray Rice got a couple of games for KO'ing his wife...and a hell of a lot more for getting videotaped doing it. You can hit a woman...just don't embarrass the league.

If this were just Brady deflating balls...no big deal. But he had a press conference and lied through his teeth about it. Don't know what he'll get for altering the balls...but don't embarrass the league.

As heinous as it was/is, Ray Rice KOing his lady didn't ruin the integrity of competition within the league. Edited by sodbuster

You know ... I've pretty much always been of the mind that the cheating they've been caught for was a) not necessary for them to win and b) borderline trivial.

But after this, I'd have to think there must be some somewhat significant punishments being handed down. The league needs to look at the history and not this one particular incident, in my opinion.

I honestly don't think that any of their cheating has helped them win games. But ... it's still cheating and there needs to be consequences.

You don't think spygate was to help them win games?

Ray Rice got a couple of games for KO'ing his wife...and a hell of a lot more for getting videotaped doing it. You can hit a woman...just don't embarrass the league.

If this were just Brady deflating balls...no big deal. But he had a press conference and lied through his teeth about it. Don't know what he'll get for altering the balls...but don't embarrass the league.

Important to remember though Ray Rice is not Tom Brady. Ray Rice was an aging RB and that issue was much more serious. It was at least possible that the NFL was going to lose sponsors over it (maybe). This will just be another storyline to promote the defending champs and the greatest QB of this generation.

http://www.nj.com/super-bowl/index.ssf/2015/01/troy_aikman_says_patriots_punishment_for_cheating_should_exceed_bountygate_penalties.html

There's now way Roger doesn't drop the hammer on Brady. The optics are just too bad...

Doesn't matter if the findings are "bad", its the Patriots, and it'll be a slap on the wrist. Tom Brady is the face of the NFL more often than not. No way they hit him hard.

80 in a 65?

Important to remember though Ray Rice is not Tom Brady. Ray Rice was an aging RB and that issue was much more serious. It was at least possible that the NFL was going to lose sponsors over it (maybe). This will just be another storyline to promote the defending champs and the greatest QB of this generation.

I don't doubt Goodell's going to !@#$ this up somehow...some sort of light punishment that he tries to convince everyone is exceedingly harsh or soft-shoes it because "It's not like he's Aaron Hernandez" or something.

Why the hell would anyone have any faith in Goodell to do anything right when it comes to player discipline, really? My prediction is that Brady gets a lighter punishment than he would if he were caught smoking pot.

Doesn't matter if the findings are "bad", its the Patriots, and it'll be a slap on the wrist. Tom Brady is the face of the NFL more often than not. No way they hit him hard.

Can't see it. The most telling thing is the Vegas line being removed on the Pats. That tells you that "this time is different..."

Wow, this report is pretty thorough and damning.

After not communicating by telephone or text message for more than six months (based on data retrieved from Jastremski‟s cell phone), Brady and Jastremski spoke by telephone at least twice on January 19 (calls lasting a total of 25 minutes and 2 seconds), twice on January 20 (calls lasting a total of 9 minutes and 55 seconds) and twice on January 21 (calls lasting a total of 20 minutes and 52 seconds) before Jastremski surrendered his cell phone to the Patriots later that day for forensic imaging.

These calls included conversations relatively early during the mornings of January 19 (7:26 a.m. for 13 minutes and 4 seconds), January 20 (8:22 a.m. for 6 minutes and 21 seconds) and January 21 (7:38 a.m. for 13 minutes and 47 seconds). Brady also took the unprecedented step of inviting Jastremski to the QB room (essentially Brady‟s office) in Gillette Stadium on January 19 for the first and only time that Jastremski can recall during his twenty-year career with the Patriots, and Brady sent Jastremski text messages seemingly designed to calm Jastremski (“You good Jonny boy?”; “You doing good?”). For his part, Jastremski sent Brady text messages confirming that he was okay (“Still nervous; so far so good though”) and cautioning Brady about questioning (“FYI...Dave will be picking your brain later about it. He‟s not accusing me, or anyone...trying to get to bottom of it. He knows it‟s unrealistic you did it yourself...”).

Edited by What a Tuel

So, reviewing what we already know: the Patriots cheated, Brady lied through his teeth at the PC, everyone over there is guilty.....

Now the relevant question: What the hell is the NFL going to do about this?

How about a suspension for Brady that includes that early game with the Bills?

Works for me.

no way Brady is suspended for the first game of the year. that will hurt the ratings and put a damper on the big showdown. i don't think the NFL will let that happen

Unless they want to play up the "Brady comeback" story in week 4 or something.

But...no. "Superbowl MVP suspended for cheating, to miss season opener" is an extremely bad image.

no way Brady is suspended for the first game of the year. that will hurt the ratings and put a damper on the big showdown. i don't think the NFL will let that happen

He will be suspended at least 2 games. The league goes on with or without him...

If Ray Farmer gets 4 games for sending texts, there should be a march on NFL offices if Brady gets anything less for lying, failing to cooperate in the investigation and bribing equipment guys.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

I don't doubt Goodell's going to !@#$ this up somehow...some sort of light punishment that he tries to convince everyone is exceedingly harsh or soft-shoes it because "It's not like he's Aaron Hernandez" or something.

Why the hell would anyone have any faith in Goodell to do anything right when it comes to player discipline, really? My prediction is that Brady gets a lighter punishment than he would if he were caught smoking pot.

Goodell is out of it -- Troy Vincent is responsible for determining any punishment in the matter.

Can we all please agree to not respond to Watkins on this?

What is up with your "group think" pleadings? What are you afraid of? I must be striking a nerve with the truth, for you to plead with other posters like this, over and over.

What is up with your "group think" pleadings? What are you afraid of? I must be striking a nerve with the truth, for you to plead with other posters like this, over and over.

No you just annoy everyone

2 game suspension sounds right.

I've stuck up for Brady for years here. I'm eating crow for dinner tonight.

you really need to eat a LOT OF CROW for sticking up for Brady*. But at least you admit your mistake like a man, unlike Brady.

Shocker! Guess ol' Bobby met the fake Clarence Beeks when he made his statement.

And here I thought Tommy boy sold his soul to go from a 6th round nobody to a top QB. Instead he sold his ethics.

2 game suspension sounds right.

I've stuck up for Brady for years here. I'm eating crow for dinner tonight.

None of it sounds right. We need to get more creative here, like: has to stand at midfield during halftime of a Ravens home game, when the first thousand people through the gate get a chance to throw a cup of urine at him.

i get the feeling a lot of people on this board are going to be angry when the punishment handed down to brady is a lot lighter than the one that they anticipated.

Yep. While I feel that he should be suspended for at least a third of the season, the most likely outcome is no suspension and a relatively large fine that the league can play up as some serious punishment, but won't really hurt Brady or the Pats much at all.