RD 2, Pick 50: DB Ronald Darby, Florida State

SDS

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@BuffaloBillsPR: During Florida States national championship run in 2013, #Bills second round pick CB Ronald Darby allowed just nine completions and no TDs.

Paired with being a good tackler according to pff -- let's not act like this guys a total bum. Unexpected but to rally against him seems silly. Especially since I'd bet most of us have seen very little of him.

ESPN on Darby:

• What he brings: He's something of a risk due to some off-field issues and his questionable awareness in zone coverage and habit for guessing too much in man coverage. But he has the fluidity and top-end speed to turn and run with the fastest receivers -- his movement skills remind us of Janoris Jenkins.

• How he fits: Darby has one of best pure cover skills in this year's cornerback class and is a strong fit within Dennis Thurman's press-man scheme. Darby has the mirror skills to hold up on an island, which is exactly what Rex Ryan wants in order to execute the heavy amount of blitz packages he traditionally dials up.

If we were gonna take a smaller DB I would have taken senquez Golson from ole miss. He can track the ball well

From what I see online he's 2 inches shorter and 15 pounds lighter than Darby, so I'm not sure how comparable they are.

I honestly think that this is one of those situations where no one on the board knows anything about the player (myself included). My suggestion is not to pontificate unless you have a remotely educated opinion.

But that would eliminate the funniest posts!

i did. Wanted OL but cb was the next biggest need imo

I thought dl would be the pick and get a similar reaction. Frankly we have a very good defense but to maintain that we have to cycle in young guys constantly and be ready for some of those middle class guys to be let walk. It's simply building a team in free agency.

If you hit on them, you look great. If you miss....

I honestly think that this is one of those situations where no one on the board knows anything about the player (myself included). My suggestion is not to pontificate unless you have a remotely educated opinion.

well, apparently, Mayock had him at 75 so its a terrible pick..

When you actually get his tape and can analyze it I'll weigh your "he sucks" against Rex and Dougs opinion.

For now, he's not my favorite but I'm not going to pretend I know the plans or have really watched him.

Don't worry there will be plenty analysis about the pick for you to read up on in the coming days and a grade of mostly C's and D's

I didn't say that but it's a reality that we may not be the team to PAY him, and between 2 corners over 30, and his situation it's not totally insane to see a possible rotation in cast coming soon at cb.

You can't pay everyone though and if we go with paying the line and cycling young dbs behind our pass rush that's not crazy

I get that you can't pay everyone and need to cycle some talent, but we've sucked for 15 years and we've kept investing high draft capital in DBs only to watch the ones who make the pro bowl walk. It's been the same stuff going back to Winfield and Nate Clements which is the same time our cycle of suck started. Edited by Chuck Wagon

The plus: fast and makes plays when Reciever is in front of him, has make up speed.

The other side, no ball skills

Calling him mckelvin is a nice gesture, but he's more like brooks

I thought JD Williams. But I trust whaley's judgment. So we shall see.

I don't like the pick. IF, as KTD has suggested, the Bills can deal Leodis now for a starting OL (Mathis) I would be really happy. You are extremely deep at CB IMO.

Or keep them all. Think of our line and the coverage sacks + pressure sacks. Soooo many dacks

Bucky Brooks @BuckyBrooks 32m32 minutes ago

Several scouts that I trust believed @buffalobills new CB Ron Darby is the "real deal". World-class athlete. Crazy upside at CB2 or NDB

Jay Skurski @JaySkurski 8m8 minutes ago

According to Darby's bio handed out by the #Bills, he was targeted once every 10.1 snaps -- the fewest of any cornerback in the draft.

I study the draft to a pretty good level each year. Couple years ago I had never heard of Kiko Alonso. Last year I had not heard of Preston Brown. I don't know who this guy is, but the Bills chose him. I'm wondering if they could have traded down a few slots and still got the guy.

well, apparently, Mayock had him at 75 so its a terrible pick..

So Mayock had him rated lower? Why do teams even employ scouts when they could just go by Mayok's ratings?

Ourlad's (run by some former NFL scouts) had Darby rated 47th in the draft. There ARE other opinions.

Bucky Brooks ‏@BuckyBrooks 32m32 minutes ago

Several scouts that I trust believed @buffalobills new CB Ron Darby is the "real deal". World-class athlete. Crazy upside at CB2 or NDB

Jay Skurski ‏@JaySkurski 8m8 minutes ago

According to Darby's bio handed out by the #Bills, he was targeted once every 10.1 snaps -- the fewest of any cornerback in the draft.

Good info. Edited by dave mcbride

I get that you can't pay everyone and need to cycle some talent, but we've sucked for 15 years and we've kept investing high draft capital in DBs only to watch the ones who make the pro bowl walk. It's been the same stuff going back to Winfield and Nate Clements which is the same time our cycle of suck started.

And we got pro bowl play out of Clements cheap and didn't get killed overpaying him. Obviously getting a 20 year career of value is great but was Clements a real failure beyond the fact that we failed to build an effective roster around him?

So how will he fit on the field?

I had the same immediate thought as NoSaint when I saw the pick.

We can all agree that safety is a need right? We can all agree that aging corners of do well moving to safety right?

This gives flexibility to move graham to safety if duke struggles. So it gives us safety depth which everyone thought was a need while also giving us a young cb which is always a need for every team.

I trust a GM that takes the BPA on their board more than one that hopes a 2nd rounder is definitely going to fill a hole *in their rookie season*

Well, he certainly still has a big hole to fill....