RD 2, Pick 50: DB Ronald Darby, Florida State

SDS

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's kind of crazy. In order for it to be a decent pick, he has to be the best defensive back in the last 20 years?

Are we calling Cockrell a wasted pick? Or have no use for Robey? Getting ready for Gilmore to walk? Cutting McKelvin or Graham? I understand the need for corners, just feels like either a luxury pick or the Bills just continuing to draft DBs above anything else.

I typically love all the bills picks when they are made. I only complain about them 1-2 years later.

By the way, if I were a GM, I would take a CB in the 1st or 2nd round every few years. It's the one position where most of the starters in the league are high round picks. And FA CBs are so expensive that it is better to let them walk and draft replacements. I hope Darby works out, so we have the flexibility to lose Gilmore next year.

Per Pete Prisco CBSSports.com

I think Darby had first-round ability, so he will step in and compete to play right away. Rex Ryan loves defense and to beat the Patriots you have to defend the pass.

Per Kevin Patra NFL.COM

The Florida State product has the kind of man-cover upside that Ryan loves to employ in his aggressive defense. Darby possesses good size at 5-foot-11 with blazing speed, having run a 4.38 second 40-yard dash at the combine.

Darby will join Stephon Gilmore, Leodis McKelvin and Corey Graham on the depth chart. The rookie was often left on an island in college, with many quarterbacks avoiding his side of the field, so he has the background for Ryan's scheme.

However, he was often outmuscled by bigger receivers and will need to become more aggressive to garner the coach's trust.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000490071/article/ronald-darby-bills-first-2015-draft-selection-at-no-50

Sounds pretty good to me. Solid competition for a very important position.

JW had it

@john_wawrow: My #Bills draft capsule last week, here's what I had projected 1st pick: Darby, FSU; G Tomlinson, Duke; DB Rowe, Utah; CB P.J. Williams FSU

jw is Leroi? :flirt:

Edited by Reed83HOF

McKelvin and Graham are getting up in years, Robey is strictly a slot CB, Cockrell is unproven, and the loss of Searcy gives us an open roster spot in the defensive backfield. Plus, having a guy with the athletic ability to man cover a guy on an island is an asset in Red's D.

I like the pick. Kind of a lot.

I'm pretty sure he steps in as nickel, Robey could be gone but I'm sure brooks is definitely a goner. He doesn't need to find the ball at nickel, just cover those quick, shifty a-holes like Edelman and he's good to go.

Edited by flomoe

McKelvin and Graham are getting up in years, Robey is strictly a slot CB, Cockrell is unproven, and the loss of Searcy gives us an open roster spot in the defensive backfield. Plus, having a guy with the athletic ability to man cover a guy on an island is an asset in Red's D.

I like the pick. Kind of a lot.

Coming in open minded - we had a good enough roster to go bpa anywhere and be happy as long as we don't miss the evaluation. There's an easy story to tell for how this guy fits. As long as the evaluation is right, we will be happy.

I hate this pick. The Bills always outsmart themselves and don't know how to draft in the first 3 rounds. Whaley said there was a gap on their board between him and anyone else? Then their board sucks! I understand you might not draft for need in the top of the first round but with your first three picks you need to take safe players that will help out right away. Every single year Buffalo ends up with a weak spot or two that sinks the ship. It's QB and OL again this year. Chris Williams stinks, Kujo might be a bust and we face improved DL in our division. Even if you took a TE in case Clay goes down I could understand it. You just addressed one of the strongest positions on the team in a draft when you are already short a pick. PLUS NO ONE was going to take this guy so you could have at least traded down if you wanted him. Doesn't Ryan understand what sunk him in NY had nothing to do with his D? He'll never win until he can field a competent offense!

Edited by timtebow15