RD 2, Pick 50: DB Ronald Darby, Florida State

SDS

I'm leary of those reports as well. They're all over the place on Darby, with some like the NFL.com critical of his physical play and others like Nolan Narwocki (formerly of Pro Football Weekly) saying he's got "excellent striking ability and is quick to support the run."

Other tidbits:

41.5" vertical

1.5 second 10-yard split

4% body fat at the combine--lowest of any DB

I'll take your advice and just trust my eyes with the game video...

4% body fat? He's going to freeze to death in Buffalo

My problem with this article is... The writer loses all credibility when he says, if Darby was a Marvel superhero he'd be the flash....the Flash is DC, he'd be quicksilver...duh

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BS

how do you know?

Corners are very pricey in FA. You absolutely have to develop them, avd Rex's scheme demands a certain type. Even average corners like Skrine and maxwell got huge deals this offseason. Mckelvin and Graham aren't getting any younger and gilmore isn't getting any cheaper. Now we have this guy in the system hopefully a year before he needs to start. Great pick though i admit I was hoping for OL at the time. We got that guy in Rd 3, so all good imo.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I like the pick - he's young, athletic and aggressive. He had a better 2013 but it's probably because FSU couldn't rush the passer to save his life. If you ever watch an FSU game their whole secondary plays nasty. They hit, talk junk and intimidate. He'll be a good player.

Yup. He should fit in nicely with this defense.

His combine numbers are impressive I'll give him that. I'm guessing Dennis Thurman and Donnie Henderson said give me that guy and we will work with him. You can't coach speed and they probably feel like they can fill in the rest.

My problem with the pick is that I felt there were a lot of good Tackles and Guards left. We need a starting OL. Instead we waited until the 3rd and got a guy that's a powerful run blocker but questionable pass protector. The Dolphins, Jets, and even Pats all have nasty DL's especially at NT. We really needed a stud Guard to help on the inside.

Maybe they felt Darby was bpa (most people didnt) but we are left with a glaring hole on our line and meanwhile the entire division just got even stronger up front. Doesn't make sense to me. Unless they are hoping that Darby is going to be good enough to start so they can trade Leo for a OL (which is a lot to ask of a 21 yr old vs Tom Brady twice a year). I think we are going to be in trouble in the trenches

I don't hate the player because before Jimbo said his name I'd never heard of him. I hate that once again we reached and once again we used our first pick on "BPA" rather than need.

how did they reach if he was BPA on their board? Reaching is for need. Using first pick on need rather than bpa as you want them to do is only a good strategy if BPA matches need. Drafting solely for need is actually a bad practice.

Jets taking Leonard williams and colts taking phillip Dorset, both positions of strength but where they may lose guys - Wilkerson and Hilton - in a year.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Honestly I was shocked at the pick. I still am, a little. I definitely saw bigger holes elsewhere. But because we got Miller I'm less worried about the O-line.

As other people have pointed out, McKelvin in aging and has only one year left on his contact. Gilmore's option keeps him another year after this, but we saw the money the Eagles were willing to splurge on Boykin, who isn't as good as Gilmore IMHO. Graham, at this point in his career, is probably best as a tweener DB.

I honestly think that you make a point of putting your best 11 guys on the field. And Heavy Nickel formations are one of the few ways to deal with the spread option/shotgun handoffs you see in the Chip Kelly imitators.

How does this sound:

DL- Hughes, Dareus, Kyle, Mario

LB- Brown, Bradham

S- Duke (Box S), Aaron, Graham

CB- Gilmore, McKelvin/Darby

Sounds scary good to me.

how did they reach if he was BPA on their board? Reaching is for need. Using first pick on need rather than bpa as you want them to do is only a good strategy if BPA matches need. Drafting solely for need is actually a bad practice.

Jets taking Leonard williams and colts taking phillip Dorset, both positions of strength but where they may lose guys - Wilkerson and Hilton - in a year.

Jake Fisher was still on the board and we went CB. I see your point but I hate that we're once again building for the future. I can't wait for the future to get here... Edited by stevestojan

Jake Fisher was still on the board and we went CB. I see your point but I hate that we're once again building for the future. I can't wait for the future to get here...

i wanted fisher too but they passed on him for a reason. Even chip passed on him, and he needs young ol.

Fisher may have been BPA for other teams, fans, analysts but he wasnt higher on the Bills board. The analysts don't take into account system fit when creating their big boards because they are applying it across 32 teams. System fit is critical especially when you have yet another new scheme being put in place.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Jake Fisher was still on the board and we went CB. I see your point but I hate that we're once again building for the future. I can't wait for the future to get here...

You can never have enough CBs in today's NFL. I'm fine with the pick for that reason.

If he plays up to his draft position and potential, he'll factor into the present season pretty quickly. This pick fills a need now and in the future.

Low completion rate, Super fast, and sure tackler...apparently lacks balls skills. I don't understand the hate...because we didn't take a TE that can't block?

Correct, it's just that most Bills fans think they are all knowing savants.

This is not a "bulding for the future" draft pick. Corey Graham and McKelvin are going on 30. Gilmore is going to garner a big contract from some team. Leodis is likely going to end up being a cap casualty if not this year but surely in 2016. CB's are always banged up and there isn't much depth with Robey etc.

This is a smart move by Whaley and company and will fill a need this year and beyond.

Correct, it's just that most Bills fans think they are all knowing savants.

Hardly...most Bills' fans simply have passionate opinions.

This is not a "bulding for the future" draft pick. Corey Graham and McKelvin are going on 30. Gilmore is going to garner a big contract from some team. Leodis is likely going to end up being a cap casualty if not this year but surely in 2016. CB's are always banged up and there isn't much depth with Robey etc.

This is a smart move by Whaley and company and will fill a need this year and beyond.

Agreed...I just felt it was a pick made to look worse with Jake Fisher on the board

Hardly...most Bills' fans simply have passionate opinions.

Yeah, it's always funny when folks with no opinion on a player criticize the comments of those that do have one...

Edited by Lurker

My initial reaction was based on "draft experts" ratings, so disappointment initially. Same experts that had Richard Sherman rated 5th/6th round talent. Just saying...

It's funny though, if waking up today you'd have told me the Bills took Miller at #50 and Darby at #81 I would be thrilled. Addressed OL with a grinder and added a speedster CB.

As an added bonus, we now have someone to line up opposite Goodwin in practice who won't be left completely in the dust.

Didn't expect a CB but I'm glad we drafted him. Ron Brooks was exposed last season in the Raiders game. Gilmore went out, Brooks came in and Sparano made him look like a JV player. The raiders threw at him over and over (unless they were running over dareus' replacements). As has been said, you can't have enough CBs.....especially ones that can cover on an island and excels in press.....especially in Rex's scheme. Tough physical kid too. Welcome to Buffalo Mr. Darby!

Another good profile on Darby:

http://floridastate.scout.com/story/1541888-nfl-draft-scouting-report-ronald-darby?s=16

Edit:

Every time I find more detailed profiles of Darby like this I shake my head at what useless junk the stuff on NFL.com is. This year more than ever, I miss Joel Buchsbaum...

http://archive.apsportseditors.org/contest/2003/writing/over250/over250.features.second.html

Edited by Lurker