RD 2, Pick 50: DB Ronald Darby, Florida State

SDS

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was a huge reason for taking him....I mean lets face it Fisher (OT) was ON THE BOARD.......at the time I was really upset we didnt take him because I think he is a player......

but then u step back and try to look at it through the teams eyes....

We have brought in a christmas list of offensive talent....but at the end of the day the identity of this team will be about playing dominant defense......creating turnovers....given field position and the ball back to the offense......

Rex had his D fall apart and become extremely limited because they didnt have the corners they needed with the jets. I think we probably should have all seen this pick coming (I didnt)

I did and I wasn't surprised at all when they took a CB first.

I made the comparison based on 2 things: aggressiveness in the run game and ball skills (or relative lack thereof).

Actually I wasn't thinking of you. I read that a couple times elsewhere.

Fair enough

My comparison of Darby from what I have seen is bills cornerback Thomas Smith

Which would be just fine by me

Same here.

Actually I wasn't thinking of you. I read that a couple times elsewhere.

Apologies for any confusion, as I didn't mean to imply that I thought you meant me. I just wanted to provide some subtext since I did in fact make that comparison (somewhere).

Apologies for any confusion, as I didn't mean to imply that I thought you meant me. I just wanted to provide some subtext since I did in fact make that comparison (somewhere).

i also made a Winfield comparison on draft day, only from the standpoint of not missing tackles and not getting INTs.

Our front 7 puts our secondary in position to get INTs. That's why we have been at or near the top of the league for 2 years. I don't expect that to change and I don't care as much if he picks the ball off as long as he can cover. The primary goal of the D is to stop the offense, not turn the ball over (though that helps a lot). I'm comfortable Donnie Henderson will work with him and he will be really good NFL corner.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Gotcha. Just didn't want you to think I was calling you out.

Leodis, to me, has had a couple solid seasons.

Leodis really turned it around when Pettine got here. It seemed like Pettine really got the best out of him and maximized his game. I think Jauron and the coordinators under Gailey weren't able to maximize his physical skills. So McKelvin played very inconsistent for the first 5 seasons. Pettine put Leodis in the slot and simplified the scheme, he was easily the best corner we had in 2013 esp with Gilmore hurt. Then in 2014 Schwartz came in and up until he got hurt Leodis played just as good as he did in 2013. I think with Rex's scheme he wants his corners so McKelvin stays for 2015 while Darby and the young guys get a chance to develop and there is less pressure on them.

After this season I can't say what will be his fate as he has a significant cap charge and this team will be up against the cap.

Edited by billsfan89

Leodis really turned it around when Donnie Henderson got here. It seemed like Donnie Henderson really got the best out of him and maximized his game. I think Jauron and the coordinators under Gailey weren't able to maximize his physical skills. So McKelvin played very inconsistent for the first 5 seasons. Donnie Henderson put Leodis in the slot and simplified the scheme, he was easily the best corner we had in 2013 esp with Gilmore hurt. Then in 2014 Schwartz came in and up until he got hurt Leodis played just as good as he did in 2013. I think with Rex's scheme he wants his corners so McKelvin stays for 2015 while Darby and the young guys get a chance to develop and there is less pressure on them.

After this season I can't say what will be his fate as he has a significant cap charge and this team will be up against the cap.

Edited for accuracy.

I actually really like the Darby pick now that I've read up on the draft; the lack of a 1st round pick really tempered my excitement for this year's draft. Still, I consider Sammy Watkins as our 1st this year as well because I really believe he is going to become an elite WR1. Players like Watkins don't grow on trees & if yiu have the chance to get him, you do what you must.

Looking at Darby's numbers at FSU & his combine, you could argue he has 1st round talent. 5'11" / 193lb is very good size for a CB. Combine that with his outstanding athleticism (4.38 @ combine / 4.2's during training, 41.5" vertical) & you have a prototypical modern day NFL CB.

He was a pure gamer on FSU's championship defense winning freshmen of the year. The lack of INTs is no big deal because teams simply did not throw the ball at him. He had the best coverage metric of any CB in this draft.

Ryan's defense calls for press corners that can play man on man which is what he excels at. He can match up with someone like Edleman all game long & take care of business by himself.

Regarding the glut of CBs on this team: you can never, ever have too many quality CBs... especially in today's pass heavy game. A nickel defense has pretty much become a team's base defense due to the prevalence of 3 WR sets. So we can line up: Gilmore, McKelvin, Darby as out starting 3. Then we have Graham, Robey, & Brooks to fill out our dime defense .

Injuries happen & McKelvin and Graham aren't getting any younger.

Gilmore, McKelvin, and Darby give us 3 starting CBs that can matchup man on man leaving Ryan to get very creative with his blitzes