RD 2, Pick 50: DB Ronald Darby, Florida State

SDS

I already see Bills fans looking to critique this selection as if Darby is a 1st round pick. Every time you find yourself doing that, stop -- he was pick #50. Not supposed to come in and light the world on fire, but expected to make the team and play a significant role his rookie season.

It's especially mystified considering that I give him an outside chance of beating McKelvin on the outside.

I love Graham, but I honestly think his natural fit here is as Free Safety. And then what are our odds of going the season without a single injury to Gilmore, McKelvin or Graham. If you can't field an effective nickel, teams will tear you apart.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's especially mystified considering that I give him an outside chance of beating McKelvin on the outside.

I love Graham, but I honestly think his natural fit here is as Free Safety. And then what are our odds of going the season without a single injury to Gilmore, McKelvin or Graham. If you can't field an effective nickel, teams will tear you apart.

That's what I'm thinking. This isn't high school football with 2 corners playing every down. I would bet we have 3+ CBs on the field more times than not. So this really isn't what I would consider a luxury pick like its being painted.

This board cracks me up. I'm holding out and letting the future tell the story as to whether this was a bad pick or not.

How many of you scout and evaluate college players for a living?

I'd like to see you in a draft room making the decision on who to select.

Fans would literally be clueless on these players if they didn't have some writer telling them who has what skills for the NFL and how they fit in the planning of this team. And how many of the writers are dead wrong with their targets?

I can see it now, the average fan in the draft room.

"Ok I have my Kiper/McShay/Mayock lists here, so I'll start there...."

Hilarious

The question I have to ask is, how does a guy with these measurables, who supposedly is a shut-down corner, go undrafted until Round 2? The NFL is a corner-hungry league, they get overdrafted all of the time. Revis just got paid gazillions. Either the Bills' scouts saw something that most other teams missed, or... but I guess we'll see.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

The question I have to ask is, how does a guy with these measurables, who supposedly is a shut-down corner, go undrafted until Round 2? The NFL is a corner-hungry league, they get overdrafted all of the time. Revis just got paid gazillions. Either the Bills' scouts saw something that most other teams missed, or... but I guess we'll see.

Your question was answered in the very first highlight reel I saw on ESPN after he was drafted. Ball skills. The Bills clearly believe they can teach him how to overcome that.

This board cracks me up. I'm holding out and letting the future tell the story as to whether this was a bad pick or not.

How many of you scout and evaluate college players for a living?

I'd like to see you in a draft room making the decision on who to select.

Fans would literally be clueless on these players if they didn't have some writer telling them who has what skills for the NFL and how they fit in the planning of this team. And how many of the writers are dead wrong with their targets?

I can see it now, the average fan in the draft room.

"Ok I have my Kiper/McShay/Mayock lists here, so I'll start there...."

Hilarious

You have no idea who's on this board...I can tell you for certain that there are folks on here that have been in the scouting business.

You have no idea who's on this board...I can tell you for certain that there are folks on here that have been in the scouting business.

I believe the point that he is making is valid.

I believe the point that he is making is valid.

I don't...it's perfectly fine for fans to have an opinion. The vast majority of those opinions fall in the category of "I do/don't like this pick for the following reason".

Not sure why that bothers certain folks.

teams draft usually for immediate starter in the 1st rd. If they need a CB. Darby needs polish on technique so the teams that need a starter this year didn't take him because their roster isn't in that position. the Bills have the ability to redshirt him. It's a great situation to be in and the Bills have one of the best DB coaches in the league to get him ready.

It's Similar to Cincy taking Ogbuhei in the 1st. They are moving or losing both tackles next year and he's overcoming a knee injury. They have time because of good roster management.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't...it's perfectly fine for fans to have an opinion. The vast majority of those opinions fall in the category of "I do/don't like this pick for the following reason".

I think it's because of the all the knee-jerk reactions of people who seem to have an expert opinion on someone that they barely heard of. I find it humorous myself of all the hyperventilating that occurs each and every draft year after many of the picks. The reality is, no one really knows, Doesn't matter if you were a scout in your previous life or not. Professional scouts on the books get it wrong all the time. So when someone comes in with an opinion that they are rooster-sure of, I get a chuckle out of it myself.

I think it's because of the all the knee-jerk reactions of people who seem to have an expert opinion on someone that they barely heard of. I find it humorous myself of all the hyperventilating that occurs each and every draft year after many of the picks. The reality is, no one really knows, Doesn't matter if you were a scout in your previous life or not. Professional scouts on the books get it wrong all the time. So when someone comes in with an opinion that they are rooster-sure of, I get a chuckle out of it myself.

I totally agree regarding the "I know for a fact it's a bad pick" types. Personally, I didn't like the Darby pick (still kind of don't), and it had less to do with the player they picked than the one(s) they passed on at the time. To say that I know it'll be a failure would be ignorant.

Different teams like or need different things in the same position. Darby fits exactly what Rex likes, which is a press corner you can just leave alone. Darby did that particular thing extremely well for the last two years. Teams that play zone or don't have great pass rushes want different stuff and Darby does not play zone as well as he plays press man.

Ha ha ha!!!! Spec of sand is what that amounts to.

Yeah, Steve Stojan, Master Talent Evaluator. Come on

I didn't say it bothers me, in fact I said it amuses me

These are humans and there are a ton of factors that go into success. Scouts can reach a consensus on a guy's football ability, all place him in the top 5, have him get picked there but the human factor trumps everything. You don't know if the kid is going to think he made it at that point and stop lifting the extra weights or watching the extra film, or allow the wrong people around him to help him make bad decisions.

Just because someone isn't paid for their opinions doesn't make them invalid. I watch 12 hours of football every Saturday and have for nearly 20 years, I read all I can about the draft, I know who most of these guys are and have paid attention to them for 2-3 years worth of playing on Saturdays. I know people in the league and they've told me I know what I'm talking about when I talk football. I have no interest in pursing a true scouting path as my career pays me much more than that path would and I'm able to go home to my family every night. I know there are plenty of people out there like myself. Most getting paid for their opinion were not only willing to travel extensively for most of their lives, but also take jobs paying nothing and did not have someone they weren't seeing while on the road. Even then, in order to get into the business you usually have to know someone in the business. Anyone who has spent any time around business environments knows nepotism is a frequent fact of life and qualified people are often left out in favor of the known individuals. To suggest in today's information age that someone who isn't traveling to North Dakota Technical Institute to watch one random lineman can't possibly know as much as those who are is utterly ridiculous.

What the !@#$. This is !@#$ing terrible. Why.. why... why

What if he's good though? I mean I literally have never heard anyone be this critical of guys we have who have been in the league for two years- "he's only played two years... give him time... Doug Marrone is now coaching for Jacksonville..." Yet people are adamantly critical of a guy who hasn't even participated in a minicamp session as of yet. This board is thoroughly amusing and frustrating sometimes.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Ha ha ha!!!! Spec of sand is what that amounts to.

Yeah, Steve Stojan, Master Talent Evaluator. Come on

I didn't say it bothers me, in fact I said it amuses me

I think that the number of posters with a formed, rationale opinion outnumbers the crazies by about the same factor as the number of unqualified opinions does the qualified.

Although you did use the word "amuses", when you chide others' opinions and call them clueless, it kind of reads like someone who's annoyed or bothered by it. Not saying that to pick on you; just saying that it's really easy to get the impression that it bothers you from the tone of your post.

I totally agree regarding the "I know for a fact it's a bad pick" types. Personally, I didn't like the Darby pick (still kind of don't), and it had less to do with the player they picked than the one(s) they passed on at the time. To say that I know it'll be a failure would be ignorant.

I'm a little surprised of the pick but I can't say that I am shocked. If they indeed did have Darby as their BPA, which I gotta believe is the case and the fact that Ryan puts a heavy emphasis on DB's that can play press coverage due to the exotic and high QB pressure schemes, it would make sense. McKelvin has been a serviceable option for us, but my guess is that their designs are that Darby would step in to take the starting job opposite of Gilm. therefore allowing them to save cap space by releasing McK. next year.

If you look at Darby's strengths, he fits in to what Rex is looking for. Time will tell, obviously if he ends up supplanting McK. next year and becomes the starting DB, then we are talking about this being a successful pick.

These are humans and there are a ton of factors that go into success. Scouts can reach a consensus on a guy's football ability, all place him in the top 5, have him get picked there but the human factor trumps everything. You don't know if the kid is going to think he made it at that point and stop lifting the extra weights or watching the extra film, or allow the wrong people around him to help him make bad decisions.

Just because someone isn't paid for their opinions doesn't make them invalid. I watch 12 hours of football every Saturday and have for nearly 20 years, I read all I can about the draft, I know who most of these guys are and have paid attention to them for 2-3 years worth of playing on Saturdays. I know people in the league and they've told me I know what I'm talking about when I talk football. I have no interest in pursing a true scouting path as my career pays me much more than that path would and I'm able to go home to my family every night. I know there are plenty of people out there like myself. Most getting paid for their opinion were not only willing to travel extensively for most of their lives, but also take jobs paying nothing and did not have someone they weren't seeing while on the road. Even then, in order to get into the business you usually have to know someone in the business. Anyone who has spent any time around business environments knows nepotism is a frequent fact of life and qualified people are often left out in favor of the known individuals. To suggest in today's information age that someone who isn't traveling to North Dakota Technical Institute to watch one random lineman can't possibly know as much as those who are is utterly ridiculous.

I didn't say they were invalid. Re read my post again and then get back to me.