RD 2, Pick 50: DB Ronald Darby, Florida State

SDS

Ha ha, this place is so funny. Everyone loves Leroi when he shares info and then 85% of people hate him when he expresses his opinion. We need to appreciate Leroi people!!

Leroi,hit it out of the park. On #50. but was the EJ cut among other things Leroi predicted "info" or " opinion?

And of course on a rational internet football blog everyones "opinion" should carry equal weight even in the offseason. IMO.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Leroi to know from his source that the Bills were going to pick Darby at 50 a couple days before the draft, that also means pretty much no one was going to take him before 49. I do trust Whaley and his staff, so there is a decent chance that he will eventually be a good player

Darby might turn out great, all I'm saying is given team needs and what we have at the position already, we need a Revis level difference maker to justify it.

That's kind of crazy. In order for it to be a decent pick, he has to be the best defensive back in the last 20 years?

That's kind of crazy. In order for it to be a decent pick, he has to be the best defensive back in the last 20 years?

The bar for second rounders is being set pretty high.

per ESPN

• What he brings: He's something of a risk due to some off-field issues and his questionable awareness in zone coverage and habit for guessing too much in man coverage. But he has the fluidity and top-end speed to turn and run with the fastest receivers -- his movement skills remind us of Janoris Jenkins.

How he fits: Darby has one of best pure cover skills in this year's cornerback class and is a strong fit within Dennis Thurman's press-man scheme. Darby has the mirror skills to hold up on an island, which is exactly what Rex Ryan wants to execute the heavy amount of blitz packages he traditionally dials up.

For Leroi to know from his source that the Bills were going to pick Darby at 50 a couple days before the draft, that also means pretty much no one was going to take him before 49. I do trust Whaley and his staff, so there is a decent chance that he will eventually be a good player

I sense that Whaley's grades tend to be higher than what's publically available to us great unwashed. Williams at 81 will be higher than most sites have him rated. I like that OT a great deal, however, so...Way to go Doug! LOL....

Per Pete Prisco CBSSports.com

I think Darby had first-round ability, so he will step in and compete to play right away. Rex Ryan loves defense and to beat the Patriots you have to defend the pass.

Per Kevin Patra NFL.COM

The Florida State product has the kind of man-cover upside that Ryan loves to employ in his aggressive defense. Darby possesses good size at 5-foot-11 with blazing speed, having run a 4.38 second 40-yard dash at the combine.

Darby will join Stephon Gilmore, Leodis McKelvin and Corey Graham on the depth chart. The rookie was often left on an island in college, with many quarterbacks avoiding his side of the field, so he has the background for Ryan's scheme.

However, he was often outmuscled by bigger receivers and will need to become more aggressive to garner the coach's trust.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000490071/article/ronald-darby-bills-first-2015-draft-selection-at-no-50

Edited by dezertbill

I sense that Whaley's grades tend to be higher than what's publically available to us great unwashed. Williams at 81 will be higher than most sites have him rated. I like that OT a great deal, however, so...Way to go Doug! LOL....

I will give him the benefit of the doubt. He's a very good drafter overall and player evaluator overall. It's impossible to be right even 50% of the time.