EJ Manuel throwing Bullets

HOUSE

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not given up on EJ. I truly think the guy can still pan out if he still has the confidence in himself. The EJ we saw on the field was at least 50% due to the Marrone/Hackett era. The way they used EJ is NOT what Doug Whaley had in mind when they drafted him. Whaley has a TON of research into this guy (way more then any of us on a message board or behind a TV), and he is one of the best young minds in football. I refuse to realize that he could have whiffed that badly on the most important position on the field.

EJ has not had a fair chance, with our coaches trying to have a winning record versus letting EJ develop.

Also, was kept under wraps, only short passes and no scrambling.

We may have to live through more losses for him to gain the experience needed, versus Cassell?

Give him 6 games minimum, win or lose.

He may never end up a franchise QB, but how can you not love the kid?

There are many right here who hate him.

Seriously. Everyone has a deep desire to see him succeed. The problem has never been his arm. Glad he's putting in work, but everyone looks good throwing routes on air.

That's just plain bull ****. There are dozens of Bills fans who detest him. Read their posts. It's disturbing to say the least.

That's just plain bull ****. There are dozens of Bills fans who detest him. Read their posts. It's disturbing to say the least.

I don't agree with this at all. I do not believe that EJ will be a franchise QB like most in here. With that being said there is nothing that would make me happier than to be proven wrong by him. The reason people are "anti-EJ" isn't because of him. He is as likable a guy as the Bills could have possibly added. Everyone just wants the Bills to win and I don't think that anyone cares who is under center when it happens.

This competition will bring out his potential. I think this offense will suit him well.

I know you meant the upcoming competition in TC, but I couldn't help but laugh thinking it meant the competition he was facing in that video from Chris Hogan. Haha

I don't agree with this at all. I do not believe that EJ will be a franchise QB like most in here. With that being said there is nothing that would make me happier than to be proven wrong by him. The reason people are "anti-EJ" isn't because of him. He is as likable a guy as the Bills could have possibly added. Everyone just wants the Bills to win and I don't think that anyone cares who is under center when it happens.

There are a couple, there always are, who want to be first in line to say "told you so!" but those are a very small minority.

I look at this way: If he somehow comes around this year and becomes the starter we'll be in very good shape. Matt Cassel as a backup in case EJ gets injured. Not a bad stable at all at the position...if it were to happen that way. Go EJ !

If we can get solid play out of the position I gotta believe we are a playoff caliber team.

Edited by jaybee

Seriously. Everyone has a deep desire to see him succeed. The problem has never been his arm. Glad he's putting in work, but everyone looks good throwing routes on air.

From my view he was better his rookie year. He became very tentative last season. I can envision Marrone, Hackett, and whoever else, telling him not to screw up. That would get to anyone. You can't be thinking during games. You have to feel it, almost on instinct. EJ said he was going stop worrying about turnovers this year. I bet that'll help. Edited by PromoTheRobot

There are a couple, there always are, who want to be first in line to say "told you so!" but those are a very small minority.

I don't disagree but I still think that they would rather the Bills win than be able to say "I told you so." With that being said whenever the Bills are eliminated they will be the ones saying "I told you so."

From my view he was better his rookie year. He became very tentative last season. I can envision Marrone, Hackett, and whoever else, telling him not to screw up. That would get to anyone. You can't be thinking during games. You have to feel it, almost on instinct. EJ said he was going stop worrying about turnovers this year. I bet that'll help.

Unless he, you know, starts turning it over a lot.

I think EJ can be a poor mans Kappernick in this offense if he can get the ball out quick and accurate and not stare down his receivers. Hopefully he has been working on his mechanics and his follow through. He also needs to be more of a threat to run the ball and he needs to learn how to get down or run out of bounds when the defenders close in on him. It seems like he doesn't have a good feel for those situations.

I know they are just getting a sweat going but Hogan is telegraphing his route. Watch the way his body leans and his legs before he makes his out cut. If I'm a DB I'm jumping that route all day. I think he is a good athlete but he still has a lot to learn about being a receiver. Our top 3 guys are so much more advanced I don't know how much he is going to see the field this year barring any injuries

EJ's problem was never arm-strength.

His problem is reading defenses, and trusting his reads.

This video shows that he is working on his strengths. Not too helpful

How does one work on the other things with just one WR?

Unless he, you know, starts turning it over a lot.

Worrying about it makes it more likely to happen.

I think we need to establish what exactly "panning out" means. It's not a 1 or a zero, he's not always a zero until he's suddenly a 1 and then he panned out. I'm optimistic/ hopeful about him, but he will never be a "franchise guy" in the terms that there are only 6 or 8 in the league... If by "panning out", we're talking about learning enough of an offense tailored to his strengths and minimizing his weaknesses, and being a supporting part of a winning team, than yes, I think we can get to that point. Especially with the offensive coaching staff.

I would be more interested in Whaley saying he wishes a clean slate for EJ with the new coaching staff than with Bryce Brown. We have a stable of viable options at RB, with probably 4 other guys we could either sign in FA, or draft, to give comparable results as Brown if he were to be cut, but I think EJ is uniquely talented, and I wish would get a good hard look by the new coaches, and not treated like a 3rd year middling unsuccessful QB that if hou only looked at his stats, would imply, but amid mitigating circumstances.

If EJ never pans out, it won't be for lack of effort.

True. I would hate it if he doesn't man out, but unlike Johnny football, he isn't squandering his talent.

I think EJ can be a poor mans Kappernick in this offense if he can get the ball out quick and accurate and not stare down his receivers. Hopefully he has been working on his mechanics and his follow through. He also needs to be more of a threat to run the ball and he needs to learn how to get down or run out of bounds when the defenders close in on him. It seems like he doesn't have a good feel for those situations.

I know they are just getting a sweat going but Hogan is telegraphing his route. Watch the way his body leans and his legs before he makes his out cut. If I'm a DB I'm jumping that route all day. I think he is a good athlete but he still has a lot to learn about being a receiver. Our top 3 guys are so much more advanced I don't know how much he is going to see the field this year barring any injuries

Poor man's Kaepernick would still be at least average out of 32 starting QBs.

EJ's problem was never arm-strength.

His problem is reading defenses, and trusting his reads.

This video shows that he is working on his strengths. Not too helpful

This sums it up. If he has developed to the point where he can make a read, believe in his instincts and deliver an accurate ball, the sky's the limit. He just hasn't shown it yet and until he does I have to believe Cassel starts.

So you're saying that EJ was trying to avoid turnovers and was unsuccessful at avoiding them?

What I'm saying is you can overthink. The game is too fast to stop and think before you throw. Edited by PromoTheRobot

I’m sure these are the same people who were saying that they understood that Manuel was a project and that he was going to take a couple of years before he could ever develop into a franchise QB. Yet, when the rubber met the road and EJ put up an exact copy of the production level that everyone envisioned a raw QB like him would produce, they bailed on him. That's the mentality of today's fans. They don't have the patience for the development part.

I’m sure these are the same people who were saying that they understood that Manuel was a project and that he was going to take a couple of years before he could ever develop into a franchise QB. Yet, when the rubber met the road and EJ put up an exact copy of the production level that everyone envisioned a raw QB like him would produce, they bailed on him. That's the mentality of today's fans. They don't have the patience for the development part.

People would likely have more patience if he showed improvement over time. He had an entire off-season, training camp and pre-season getting majority of the 1st team reps. He had no competition to worry about. He didn't show the improvement you'd like to see in a 2nd year QB. That's my biggest issue. We can talk about the physical abilities, arm strength, athleticism or any other buzz word that looks good on paper. All that matters is the way he plays when he's on the field. You'd want to see that he's improving and getting better with time. Project QB or not, you'd want to see signs that's he's getting it and until this point we, or at least me, have yet to see that.

He played for and started multiple years at a major football program and was coached by one of the best in the business. It's amazing that people throw out the term project like he was some mid to late round pick who played for a D2 school in a spread offense.

Guys like Kolin Kaepernick were true projects. A guy like EJ shouldn't be this big of a project. Sure, Marrone might have been in his head too much and I acknowledge that. But Marrone wasn't telling him to be inaccurate and show a lack of feel for the position. That's all on EJ and it's a pretty big problem at this point. He'll have to show major strides in his game this summer if he's going to win the competition.

Edited by Bangarang

People would likely have more patience if he showed improvement over time. He had an entire off-season, training camp and pre-season getting majority of the 1st team reps. He had no competition to worry about. He didn't show the improvement you'd like to see in a 2nd year QB. That's my biggest issue. We can talk about the physical abilities, arm strength and athleticism until we're blue in the face. All that matters is that he's improving and getting better with time. Project QB or not, you'd want to see signs that's he's getting it and until this point we, or at least me, have yet to see that.

He played for and started multiple years at a major football program and was coached by one of the best in the business. It's amazing that people throw out the term project like he was some mid to late round pick who played for a D2 school in a spread offense.

Guys like Kolin Kaepernick were true projects. A guy like EJ shouldn't be this big of a project.

Aaaaah, well there's the rub. Name one guy who got better on offense under Doug Marrone. Sometimes excuses are valid. Marrone was telling a QB who thinks too much and strives to be perfect, to not turn the ball over ever and to never force the issue. That's a failure game plan for developing a franchise NFL QB.

It would be once if the haters would actually have the patience to wait see what EJ does under Rex and Roman before quitting on him. These are professional coaches with a track record of success. Marrone was a dunce.

Aaaaah, well there's the rub. Name one guy who got better on offense under Doug Marrone. Sometimes excuses are valid. Marrone was telling a QB who thinks too much and strives to be perfect, to not turn the ball over ever and to never force the issue. That's a failure game plan for developing a franchise NFL QB.

It would be once if the haters would actually have the patience to wait see what EJ does under Rex and Roman before quitting on him. These are professional coaches with a track record of success. Marrone was a dunce.

Hogan, Woods. Freddy bounced back from a weak 2012 campaign in 2013. Boobie Dixon had a career year.

There's also not one shred of proof that Marrone did any of that stuff. It's pure conjecture passed down the ages.

Edited by FireChan