[closed]Bills interested in TE Charles Clay--update: F5 and stuff

YoloinOhio

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see it. I watch a ton of Miami games being in Lauderdale and the guys flashes but isn't close to the Hernandez level as mentioned above (minus the homicides). Tannehill is very inconsistent but that could be attributed to their OL play. Clay is a decent TE but def 2nd tier and shouldn't get that huge pay day. He's the best of a bad situation. And timing is right for him to get paid. But I will gladly eat my words.

At the same point, Tannehill isn't close to Brady. I have very little doubt his numbers are better on the Pats. Personally, I've always been impressed by the guy. The salary seems high until you realize will be going up. IMO, Chandler is a weak #1 TE but Chandler-Clay is a very good combo set. Our QBs need zone busters and guys to be targets for easy completions.

But Clay's murdering skills are far inferior than AH's.

Yeah, easiest big guy to bring down.

its amazing - for his size, he drops immediately, i dont think ive ever seen him high point a ball, doesnt shield defenders well.... hes the smallest big man ive ever seen. thats not to say hes an awful player, just that he doesnt utilize his size like youd expect.

its amazing - for his size, he drops immediately, i dont think ive ever seen him high point a ball, doesnt shield defenders well.... hes the smallest big man ive ever seen. thats not to say hes an awful player, just that he doesnt utilize his size like youd expect.

Goes down like a sack of potatoes at first contact. To this day I have no idea why Marrone/Hackett called plays to get the ball out to Chandler in the flat -- those plays must have averaged 1.2 yards per catch, with a long of 3 yards.

Goes down like a sack of potatoes at first contact. To this day I have no idea why Marrone/Hackett called plays to get the ball out to Chandler in the flat -- those plays must have averaged 1.2 yards per catch, with a long of 3 yards.

yup. he seemed to struggle to turn his hips upfield after the catch allowing the defender to get there before he broke, and then just straight to the ground. it seemed like setting him up for failure to have him move horizontally at the line of scrimmage.

He's like a Chandler but can block... Is my understanding.

But like I wrote above, Clay is tremendous at running after the catch, catching on the run and running over defenders. See that one TD where he dances around and breaks two sure tackles against the Steelers? Sick.

IMO it seems like most players who went to new teams got "overpaid." It's the new salary cap and the cost of recruiting players away.

Very true.

If the Bills do sign Clay away from Miami, I just want everyone to be prepared for the contract specifics. I sense it's going to be bigger than most people are expecting, and I'm bracing for the shitstorm of OMG WTF posts afterward.

(And then we can proceed to love the guy for his talent and production.)

But like I wrote above, Clay is tremendous at running after the catch, catching on the run and running over defenders. See that one TD where he dances around and breaks two sure tackles against the Steelers? Sick.

and was in the elements making plays in that game. which is always a perk. sometimes overrated, but i wont complain about a guy that can play in snow.

At the same point, Tannehill isn't close to Brady. I have very little doubt his numbers are better on the Pats. Personally, I've always been impressed by the guy. The salary seems high until you realize will be going up. IMO, Chandler is a weak #1 TE but Chandler-Clay is a very good combo set. Our QBs need zone busters and guys to be targets for easy completions.

But Clay's murdering skills are far inferior than AH's.

How do you figure? Clay has never been caught......

Very true.

If the Bills do sign Clay away from Miami, I just want everyone to be prepared for the contract specifics. I sense it's going to be bigger than most people are expecting, and I'm bracing for the shitstorm of OMG WTF posts afterward.

(And then we can proceed to love the guy for his talent and production.)

if rumors are true it will be a contract front loaded with the first year at 9m, structured so that Miami can't match.

I think there's a lot of selective memory around here. Is he a top-tier TE? No, of course not. But he's an effective guy who would be a fine complement to Clay...

And on a TD against the Chargers Chandler would have been tackles two or three times. Sign me up in the sign him up camp!

Don't get me wrong, Chandler has a roll and I love his size, but he's not nearly the athlete that Clay is.

Edited by Augie

Early reports also indicate that the Bills will need to spend more than the Dolphins get Clay, and that they will need to score more points than the other team to win games.

Where did you read this?? Link???

I think there's a lot of selective memory around here. Is he a top-tier TE? No, of course not. But he's an effective guy who would be a fine complement to Clay...

i think you might need to re-read my post and then watch the video again. We have 2 high points where his feet might not have left the ground and he fell forward on one tackle... he was productive, and an ok player but didnt capitalize on his size like one would expect. i feel like your video supported my point that hes not a bad player, he just hasnt capitalized on his frame... did you see him winning jump balls, and running over guys? Edited by NoSaint

Ya he seems to miss if he is the first to leak it

He clearly has no in-the-know source for Bills' info. He guesses and makes inferences. When he is right, as you point out it is generally something already out there.

Bills waiting to see Suh's deal in Miami before making Clay offer sheet but I'm told will be heavily frontloaded ($9M or more in 2015)...

So it's a game of chicken now? I'm guessing we're going to have to offer first because clay will have other opportunities and it doesn't seem like suh is visiting anywhere else. I wonder how long each team could go having an agreement in principle but not actually signing the player?

So it's a game of chicken now? I'm guessing we're going to have to offer first because clay will have other opportunities and it doesn't seem like suh is visiting anywhere else. I wonder how long each team could go having an agreement in principle but not actually signing the player?

If I were the Bills I would have Suh in for a nice visit. See what the Fins think about that.

i dont think either side is terribly worried - both know what to expect, more or less, and both know the options. its the difference of maybe one extra barb thrown in, not likely deal making/breaking. if anything i would guess they are taking time trying to find a format that clay likes that would fit their needs to be hard to match.

i dont think either side is terribly worried - both know what to expect, more or less, and both know the options. its the difference of maybe one extra barb thrown in, not likely deal making/breaking. if anything i would guess they are taking time trying to find a format that clay likes that would fit their needs to be hard to match.

I think it could help the Bills a lot to know the specific parameters of the Suh deal before signing Clay to the offer sheet. Plus stuff like the Fins bringing in Cameron could affect it. You're probably right that it may not be a deal breaker but it's surely possible. The Kyle extension today means the Bills wanted to add a couple mil more in cash this year.

I think it could help the Bills a lot to know the specific parameters of the Suh deal before signing Clay to the offer sheet. Plus stuff like the Fins bringing in Cameron could affect it. You're probably right that it may not be a deal breaker but it's surely possible. The Kyle extension today means the Bills wanted to add a couple mil more in cash this year.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too because of the reported size of Suh's deal. I don't know if Cameron affect's these because with the tag you'd think miami would keep clay if the could and Cameron is only in play only if they can't.

This could do it: Six years, $30million $25 guaranteed.

2015 $8million Plus $18million signing bonus.

dreaming is fun