[closed]Bills interested in TE Charles Clay--update: F5 and stuff

YoloinOhio

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills don't have to sign him for 7 mil/year. Dolphins have only committed to 1 year at 7mil. That doesn't mean they want to pay, say 6 million per year over the course of a 24 million contract. Bills offer 4 years/ 24 million, Dolphins might not match. The killer is the up to one week the Phins would get to match.

really, again, the structure is where you can put the screws to the phins.....

say a 5 year 36m to match kyle rudolph is his market value.... instead of giving 7-8m in signing bonus, plus 1m in salary in year one(cap hit of under 3m this year), give a heavy first year salary of 9m and then closer to 6.5 the rest of the way.

hits the cap even harder for the fins if they keep him when compared to the 7m tag, but is very manageable for us still. he gets his money in salary not bonus from the fins already, so its not like thered be a big complaint about the structure..... fins match and its a tough hit this year. fins dont, we get him for last 4 years very affordably and take a big hit while we have big dollars.

Edited by NoSaint

i mean, i feel like a lot of people outlined that itd probably be around 7m to get him, but it took people seeing it officially to sway the opinion?

while you cant do a poison pill, the bills could structure it heavy up front to really hurt the dolphins (think big salary low signing bonus to maximize year one cap hit)

But couldnt Fish just restructure? Isnt that what most restructurings do? Convert salary into bonus, and pro-rate the bonus to the out-years?

I like you trying to stick it to the Fish, but I dont think this tactic works.

But couldnt Fish just restructure? Isnt that what most restructurings do? Convert salary into bonus, and pro-rate the bonus to the out-years?

I like you trying to stick it to the Fish, but I dont think this tactic works.

you cant restructure a deal the same year you sign it

the fins could offer him that structure from the get-go though but they couldnt match and then rework it with him after.

Edited by NoSaint

I think this trade opens the eyes of alot of Bills fans and shows that Whaley and Ryan are looking to make huge splashes in some key areas.

I see the next area being TE or QB.

I think they are going to go big in FA and swing for your Julius Thomas or Jordan Cameron. Maybe even bid on Clay who was transitioned by the Dolphins.

I also see a trade coming for QB. I still think RGIII is a possiblity. Nick Foles as well if Kelly reaches up for Mariotta.

I think this move scratches the surface of the lengths they will go to building a champion. Pegula loves huge splashes.

I see more cannonballs coming.

Another thing to consider is that if Shady hits, the Bills likely have a very good offense and a great defense. If Kiko hits, the Bills still have a great defense and likely still have a suspect offense.

We will see. We have a long way to go to average offense yet alone very good. Hopefully this is a big first step. If shady and incognito energize the run game it's a good start.

Bills still interested in Clay. I like this idea. Offered him a lot. Either we get him or the Dolphins have to pay him more.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/574313172452048896

What are the rules with transition tags again? Beyond the ability to match for the Dolphins, do the Bills (or any team) have to give up a pick if they sign him?

But how much do you want to pay him? I like Clay a lot but at the right price too. I don't think fins let him go if it gets too high.

You don't give him a poison pill because they are illegal but you could give him a lot of money upfront which would be a cap hit for the Bills but may screw up Miami's quest to get Suh.

What are the rules with transition tags again? Beyond the ability to match for the Dolphins, do the Bills (or any team) have to give up a pick if they sign him?

No compensation. Miami matches it or not.

I also think he's a very valuable player in Roman's offense as well as a good blocker.

:beer: Thanks.

Whaley said a week or two ago they haven't spoken to Mario about restructuring his deal but have it in their back pocket. Because of Daddy Warbucks we can do this kind of thing. If we sign Clay to a deal, the Dolphins have a week or so to decide whether to match. Teams don't like to sign other players to deals like this because it ties up your cap for that week or so. But this is the perfect time to use the back pocket Mario contract. If we need more cap room to sign other guys while we wait for the Fins to decide, we can restructure Marios deal, open up 7m or so cap to sign whomever we want.

Whaley said a week or two ago they haven't spoken to Mario about restructuring his deal but have it in their back pocket. Because of Daddy Warbucks we can do this kind of thing. If we sign Clay to a deal, the Dolphins have a week or so to decide whether to match. Teams don't like to sign other players to deals like this because it ties up your cap for that week or so. But this is the perfect time to use the back pocket Mario contract. If we need more cap room to sign other guys while we wait for the Fins to decide, we can restructure Marios deal, open up 7m or so cap to sign whomever we want.

I'm for that. Clay is certainly near the top of my list of favorites in this UFA market, even after being tagged. I like the ability of being able to free up cash by tinkering with Mario's deal, I was just hoping they'd save it for next season to keep Dareus around (though they will keep him regardless I'm quite confident). The ability of Pegula to pay boatloads of cash in guaranteed money and help maintain the cap space is a perk I'm warming up to as a Bills fan.