[closed]Bills interested in TE Charles Clay--update: F5 and stuff

YoloinOhio

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@AlbertBreer: The transition tag for Dolphins TE Charles Clay (@AdamSchefter 1st reported) is officially filed.

@AlbertBreer: Transition tags have been used sparsely since the Steve Hutchinson/poison pill deal. Matching rights, no comp. Clay's tender is $7.071M.

Damn. He would have been a good addition.

Even if they do, they're not gonna win. The Dolphins want to keep him, and they will.

Can teams get creative and put terms in their offers the tagging team won't (or can't) match, or did the league do away with poison pills?

Can teams get creative and put terms in their offers the tagging team won't (or can't) match, or did the league do away with poison pills?

Did away with them in 2011, I think.

Seems like the Fish panicked

@pecrawleynfl: If Bills pursue and match for Clay, his $7M would make him Buffalo's third-highest paid player in 2015. http://t.co/0SXRk3Xnom

My only consolation is that's a **** ton of cash to keep him, which digs them even deeper into cap hell. He might be their only receiver.

Landry

And Wallace if they can't trade him

Edited by YoloinOhio

i mean, i feel like a lot of people outlined that itd probably be around 7m to get him, but it took people seeing it officially to sway the opinion?

while you cant do a poison pill, the bills could structure it heavy up front to really hurt the dolphins (think big salary low signing bonus to maximize year one cap hit)

Landry

And Wallace if they can't trade him

Are you particularly frightened of Landry?

Wallace is good, but not elite. I honestly cannot think of any team that would pay him almost ten million dollars this year. I would be more than happy to have him be the albatross around their necks. And that still doesn't answer how they are going to afford to pay their draft picks. At this point, most likely it's going to be cutting a very good veteran player to give themselves some breathing room.

Hey, I'm looking for positives.

Even if they do, they're not gonna win. The Dolphins want to keep him, and they will.

Can they match a huge offer? I know they have cut a few guys, but they are not in good shape cap wise and still need to sign Odrick (plus Revis, of course)

i mean, i feel like a lot of people outlined that itd probably be around 7m to get him, but it took people seeing it officially to sway the opinion?

while you cant do a poison pill, the bills could structure it heavy up front to really hurt the dolphins (think big salary low signing bonus to maximize year one cap hit)

I hear ya...

Bills don't have to sign him for 7 mil/year. Dolphins have only committed to 1 year at 7mil. That doesn't mean they want to pay, say 6 million per year over the course of a 24 million contract. Bills offer 4 years/ 24 million, Dolphins might not match. The killer is the up to one week the Phins would get to match.

Edited by purple haze