[closed]Bills interested in TE Charles Clay--update: F5 and stuff

YoloinOhio

I imagine it's probably a little easier to sell the Bills to a defensive FA than an offensive FA -- especially a receiver. A little more enticing to come work with a top defense and a top defensive coach, who will almost guarantee success, versus come to work with a really shaky offense, a new coordinator, and a huge question mark at the most important position.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine it's probably a little easier to sell the Bills to a defensive FA than an offensive FA -- especially a receiver. A little more enticing to come work with a top defense and a top defensive coach, who will almost guarantee success, versus come to work with a really shaky offense, a new coordinator, and a huge question mark at the most important position.

Must be the money.

Sincerely,

Deion Sanders

I dont think you paint a pretty picture.

If i were to look closely , i might think a TE under Roman and Rex might be interested. especially if they Pay The Man.

Are you kidding me? EJ will be checking down to Clay all day! ;)

Must be the money.

Sincerely,

Deion Sanders

I dont think you paint a pretty picture.

If i were to look closely , i might think a TE under Roman and Rex might be interested. especially if they Pay The Man.

Fair enough, but there's a lot of concern around here for not overpaying for talent, but that's what you're saying it comes down to. Sure, we can get anyone if we pay them enough, but how much more is it going to take to lure an offensive player to Buffalo, with the weather and the offensive problems and lack of a QB, versus, say, Miami, where life's a beach, the conditions are great, and there's an established QB? I'm just saying it's a little easier to sell a defensive player than an offensive player, at least at this point in time.

Are you kidding me? EJ will be checking down to Clay all day! ;)

Now that's a good argument!

Fair enough, but there's a lot of concern around here for not overpaying for talent, but that's what you're saying it comes down to. Sure, we can get anyone if we pay them enough, but how much more is it going to take to lure an offensive player to Buffalo, with the weather and the offensive problems and lack of a QB, versus, say, Miami, where life's a beach, the conditions are great, and there's an established QB? I'm just saying it's a little easier to sell a defensive player than an offensive player, at least at this point in time.

Now that's a good argument!

you are right. The Offense is yet to show that they are ready for a run.

But they might be good enough with some subtle pieces.

And Clay could be QBs favorite in Romans Offense. ?

In Clay's case, it's Miami, there is no state income tax, and he's getting $6M/year. I'd stay if I were him as well.

In Clay's case, it's Miami, there is no state income tax, and he's getting $6M/year. I'd stay if I were him as well.

He's most likely not getting 6m/yr if he stays with Miami. That's what he wants, and he probably can get that or more if he goes to FA. Miami only has about 4m in cap space and still needs to sign Odrick, I don't think the stars are aligned for him there unless he takes a hometown discount. They aren't a winning team so that usually doesn't happen. Plus I heard the players don't love Regis Philbin down there. That would be some expensive weather if he just wanted to be hot for the three months of the season it is cold in Buffalo or elsewhere.

Edited by YoloinOhio

He's most likely not getting 6m/yr if he stays with Miami. That's what he wants, and he probably can get that or more if he goes to FA. Miami only has about 4m in cap space and still needs to sign Odrick, I don't think the stars are aligned for him there unless he takes a hometown discount. They aren't a winning team so that usually doesn't happen. Plus I heard the players don't love Regis Philbin down there. That would be some expensive weather if he just wanted to be hot for the three months of the season it is cold in Buffalo or elsewhere.

The taxes alone cover a pretty wide gap between two offers. It's always made me wonder why leagues do not seem to regulate that issue somehow

The taxes alone cover a pretty wide gap between two offers. It's always made me wonder why leagues do not seem to regulate that issue somehow

I'm curious about this as well. Given the varying state income tax laws it does seem as though certain franchises gain a distinct (and unfair) advantage in recruitment.

I'm curious about this as well. Given the varying state income tax laws it does seem as though certain franchises gain a distinct (and unfair) advantage in recruitment.

with the jock tax they pay taxes on where they play the games so a non state tax state has half their game checks, just home games, without state tax plus any others they end up being scheduled. Teams in other states with state tax can make them whole with bonuses, etc. If it's an issue. The Bills even played 3 games in FL in 2013 the way the schedule worked out. I think it's a bigger deal with NBA and MLB because their contracts are so much bigger.

with the jock tax they pay taxes on where they play the games so a non state tax state has half their game checks, just home games, without state tax plus any others they end up being scheduled. Teams in other states with state tax can make them whole with bonuses, etc. If it's an issue. The Bills even played 3 games in FL in 2013 the way the schedule worked out. I think it's a bigger deal with NBA and MLB because their contracts are so much bigger.

if clay is a 6m guy, we are still talking about 3m tax free vs taxed. its not peanuts. it seems you could have some small cap adjuster built out that has miami starting with a few percentage points less out of the gate (say about half the average tax rate since only half the games would be at home).

I find the timing of this rumor very interesting. On the same day that stories emerge of Clay being close to re-signing with the Dolphins, numerous stories pop up that the Bills are interesting in him. Could it be that the Bills heard Clay was close to a deal with Miami and leaked their interest on purpose to hopefully get Clay to hold off on signing a lesser deal?

Meh.

Is clay really all that good? Looks only like a marginal upgrade over Chandler.

he is a different type of TE. He is more of an H-back hybrid. Roman really likes to use this type of player as you can line him up all over the field and create mismatches. He would not replace Chandler, he would be in addition to Chandler. He's a #1 caliber TE - Gray would be his backup as he is in the mold of Clay, like a poor man's version. Chandler would be TE #2. Roman likes to line up multiple TEs. IMO.

he is a different type of TE. He is more of an H-back hybrid. Roman really likes to use this type of player as you can line him up all over the field and create mismatches. He would not replace Chandler, he would be in addition to Chandler. He's a #1 caliber TE - Gray would be his backup as he is in the mold of Clay, like a poor man's version. Chandler would be TE #2. Roman likes to line up multiple TEs. IMO.

Thanks-- this is helpful info. Just looking at stats and ocassionally seeing Clay play, I never viewed him as an elite TE. But if you can use him in such a way that he will be an elite TE, then I can be down with this.

Thanks-- this is helpful info. Just looking at stats and ocassionally seeing Clay play, I never viewed him as an elite TE. But if you can use him in such a way that he will be an elite TE, then I can be down with this.

he isn't elite in terms of Graham and Gronk. But second tier, yes. The top guys are making a lot more than 6 mill. And only 26. He would be a big piece to this offense when you consider, his run blocking ability, the talent on the outside and if they add a RB. I think he would be worth it to the Bills with the offense they want to run. The Pats last year had to put Revis on him.

It's funny everyone talks about places like miami and San Diego, yet they both are kinda whatever teams. Like has Miami been any better than us the last five years?

I don't think the Miami thing carries that much weight IMO.

Thanks I wasn't familiar with the jock tax. Still not peanuts, though.

It's funny everyone talks about places like miami and San Diego, yet they both are kinda whatever teams. Like has Miami been any better than us the last five years?

I don't think the Miami thing carries that much weight IMO.

no one argues they are well run, simply they have a perk we dont. additionally for better or worse - some guys want to take their talent to south beach. the flip side being is that the type of guy you want as a cornerstone?

I just did the quick math and it is about 200k/year difference between buffalo and miami depending on how the bonuses are paid out - also must account for (shocking marginally) higher property taxes down there.. You have to remember that you get taxed in the state that you play - not just your home state.

Edited for property taxes comment - holy crap you guys pay a ton in property taxes up there.

Edited by jo39416

no one argues they are well run, simply they have a perk we dont. additionally for better or worse - some guys want to take their talent to south beach. the flip side being is that the type of guy you want as a cornerstone?

As you say, the guys that would pick Miami/ SD instead of a better football situation in Green Bay for example because of other factors, probably aren't the guys you want on your team. Mike Wallace seems like he falls into that camp.

As you say, the guys that would pick Miami/ SD instead of a better football situation in Green Bay for example because of other factors, probably aren't the guys you want on your team. Mike Wallace seems like he falls into that camp.

like i said, im sure it can cut both ways.... some of the most arrogant, me first guys around have been absolute superstars, unlike the underperforming wallace. just like any team, those GMs have to get the right fits. whether they choose for weather, or minor pay difference or.... there are a lot of "selfish" reasons.... you just have to make sure you are getting the right guy, regardless of what steers him.

like i said, im sure it can cut both ways.... some of the most arrogant, me first guys around have been absolute superstars, unlike the underperforming wallace. just like any team, those GMs have to get the right fits. whether they choose for weather, or minor pay difference or.... there are a lot of "selfish" reasons.... you just have to make sure you are getting the right guy, regardless of what steers him.

This is a huge part of recruiting IMO. The Bills over the last handful of years have had a better understanding of what type of players make sense. They have gone for a less needy, family oriented type of player that may be attracted to WNY. The schools are good for their kids, real estate is cheap and the facilities are first class. The families are treated the same way. The Bills have sought players that are wired more like Freddie than Willis. Buffalo is appealing to people like that.

UPDATE: Right after I typed this all of the CJ wants to be back stuff started coming out. He is a great example of the type of guy that fits in perfectly in WNY.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

He's most likely not getting 6m/yr if he stays with Miami. That's what he wants, and he probably can get that or more if he goes to FA. Miami only has about 4m in cap space and still needs to sign Odrick, I don't think the stars are aligned for him there unless he takes a hometown discount. They aren't a winning team so that usually doesn't happen.

Does that also not include the draft? Last year at that spot the Bears paid 2.2M in cap space for Fuller. Between all those picks, would they have any space left?

It looks like there are a lot of people they can cut for savings, but if it means having them cut Cameron Wake to keep clay...

or they could turn one of several guys salaries into signing bonus and shift it down the line if they are really into keeping clay.

Damn, Brian Hartline released. Probably so they can sign Clay. :censored:

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 54s54 seconds ago

Dolphins to release WR Brian Hartline, avoiding his $5.9 million salary http://wp.me/p14QSB-9Iul

Well isn't that a convenient number. Sigh.

What I like is Tannehill couldn't win with a bunch of help. Now they have to release players so they can sign others which makes the team worse.

@AlbertBreer: The transition tag for Dolphins TE Charles Clay (@AdamSchefter 1st reported) is officially filed.

@AlbertBreer: Transition tags have been used sparsely since the Steve Hutchinson/poison pill deal. Matching rights, no comp. Clay's tender is $7.071M.