[closed]Bills interested in TE Charles Clay--update: F5 and stuff

YoloinOhio

I'd be happy with Clay. He was my 2nd preference after Cameron but would probably come cheaper. If Clay leaves us enough for another Guard and a QB as well as Hughes I'd take that.

Cameron worries me as being the top TE target for our, or any franchise. He had one good season. That's it. Injury after injury. If we're going to take a TE who came out of nowhere and produced I would rather it be the one of the two who plays for our division rival. :pirate:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He would be in the Delanie Walker role. I've always liked Clay. Very underrated in my opinion.

I really like Maxx Williams and Nick O'Leary but a TE combo of Clay/ Chandler could be very good.

If Gronk was on the market he would be the highest paid TE in history. That's not a good way to look at it, IMO.

Clay is one of my top guys I wanted. Roman loves these kinds of players in his offense. I think we could be very effective with Clay, Chandler and Gray.

Perhaps Chandler and Gray aren't so safe. Roman's 49ers snagged Vance McDonald in the second round with Vernon Davis on that roster. Maxx Williams, Walford, O'Leary or Jesse James could still come with clay. Edited by Ryan L Billz

Perhaps Chandler and Gray aren't so safe. Roman's 49ers snagged Vance McDonald in the second round with Vernon Davis on that roster. Maxx Williams, Walford, O'Leary or Jesse James could still come with clay.

I agree with that. I'm just saying we can probably get away with them and that position would no longer be a weakness if Chandler is the 2 and Clay is the 1 and a versatile guy like Gray can be played with by Roman. That said, since Clay can play the HBack/FB/Hybrid role, maybe Roman would want a different kind of player than Gray.

I agree with that. I'm just saying we can probably get away with them and that position would no longer be a weakness if Chandler is the 2 and Clay is the 1 and a versatile guy like Gray can be played with by Roman. That said, since Clay can play the HBack/FB/Hybrid role, maybe Roman would want a different kind of player than Gray.

Gray is such an unknown that has done so little that Id count him as a bonus if he works out and not plan any moves based on him yet.

I see Gray as potentially a poor mans Clay. He made a few plays last year but not much was asked of him. There's a reason he was available to sign in November. Clay is on another level. They may be the same type of player, but they aren't the same player. I think he's good depth at that position though and think we could see Gragg and Smith cut if they can get Clay. Keep Chandler and draft a guy in the 5th.

I want Funchess and Heuerman. Want to keep Chandler. Want to get Clay.

Want to be crazy like that. I want to keep Chandler, yes. He is barely 29 years old and the best TE we have had since, well, maybe even before Jay Remeirishsmushamushamusha. If we really start to look good with Clay, and Funchess and Heuerman pans out like I think he will then Chandler can be trade bait. Heuerman can block, can catch and really going to be a solid 2nd TE.

Keep in mind Clay is 6'3, Heuerman and Funchess are 6'5" and Chandler is 6'7. That will surprise a lot of people any time they see it.5

I do not know if Roman is the type to split the TE off the line, but I think it could be a very nice thing to have when putting Clay off the LOS similar to what is done with Jimmy Graham. With Funchess moving to a more HB type, similar but better then Marquise Gray. Heuerman is pro ready and will basically be the backup to Chandler who is a FA in 2016.

We would roll forward with Clay, Heuerman and Funchess. That's a premier lineup.

I want Funchess and Heuerman. Want to keep Chandler. Want to get Clay.

Want to be crazy like that. I want to keep Chandler, yes. He is barely 29 years old and the best TE we have had since, well, maybe even before Jay Remeirishsmushamushamusha. If we really start to look good with Clay, and Funchess and Heuerman pans out like I think he will then Chandler can be trade bait. Heuerman can block, can catch and really going to be a solid 2nd TE.

Keep in mind Clay is 6'3, Heuerman and Funchess are 6'5" and Chandler is 6'7. That will surprise a lot of people any time they see it.5

I do not know if Roman is the type to split the TE off the line, but I think it could be a very nice thing to have when putting Clay off the LOS similar to what is done with Jimmy Graham. With Funchess moving to a more HB type, similar but better then Marquise Gray. Heuerman is pro ready and will basically be the backup to Chandler who is a FA in 2016.

We would roll forward with Clay, Heuerman and Funchess. That's a premier lineup.

Chandler is not trade bait, he was on the free agent market last year and got nothing. No one is giving up an asset for Scott chandler

I like Funchess a lot but he isn't an H-back. Maybe he can play the move TE role but his weakness is blocking so I don't see him as an H-back. He doesn't have that body type

Edited by FluffHead

Chandler is not trade bait, he was on the free agent market last year and got nothing. No one is giving up an asset for Scott chandler

Chandler and a 6th for a 4th.

Chandler for a 6th.

Chandler to an injured team for an injured position depth player...

Chandler is a starting NFL caliber TE.

Grabbing Clay would open the draft to allowing the Bills to grab a RB/OL with their first 2 picks.

With the RB's in the draft being what they are, deep and quality abound, we can wait until later to go with RB. OL, TE, heck even QB.

Go BPA with the first two or three.

With the RB's in the draft being what they are, deep and quality abound, we can wait until later to go with RB. OL, TE, heck even QB.

I agree, and I'd also throw in a DT in the mix, since Kyle won't last forever.

I agree, and I'd also throw in a DT in the mix, since Kyle won't last forever.

not yet. Not yet at DT. If we tank this year or just crap out to be a top ten pick we will end up next year with the ability to get another Dareus level guy.

I like Clay but don't think he is a true TE which is what the Bills need. He is also injured a lot which concerns me as well.

He's a little undersize for sure but at least this is another sign bills are focusing on their needs. Picking up incognito at guard and looking closely at QB market in draft and FA...TE, OG and QB would be the top 3 items on just about any rational observers list. Which means in the past the team wouldn't have been focusing on them. Things seem to be looking up for next year.

Clay, Incognito, and if we grab Lupati is a good start with whatever retread QB we grab. If we sign Hughes which looks good, then we stay focused on offense. We don't need Revis. That's a luxury.

A good offensive draft hopefully helps. I say dump Chandler. His YAC as someone mentioned is which way he falls so about 2 feet. Grey looked promising last year towards the end so could be fun to have a two TE set.

If we tank this year or just crap out to be a top ten pick we will end up next year with the ability to get another Dareus level guy.

Rex promised us playoffs. I am expecting him to deliver lad. After all, many on this forum have anointed him as the best thing since sliced bread. The man who "knows how to beat Belichick" yet never quite manages to do so.

True. But how many teams count on their third TE?

i didnt mean it as any major commentary on the bills roster. ive just seen a lot of posts the last couple weeks/months pointing towards expecting gray to fill a larger role. Ranging from the subtle "do we really need a guy with that skill set now that we have gray" on up to the less common "i think we already have our new TE1"

if im whaley, im hoping to roll in to the season with an additional someone that compliments chandler, and if gray steps up, awesome problem to have.

Edited by NoSaint

I agree. There is quality depth at every position. (another reason I'm liking the Watkins trade even more by the day). I'm thinking the BPA in round 2 will be a RB. (Duke Johnson, etc.). OL prob in Rd. 3. QB could be interesting in Rd. 2 if Petty and Hundely are still around.

Cameron worries me as being the top TE target for our, or any franchise. He had one good season. That's it. Injury after injury. If we're going to take a TE who came out of nowhere and produced I would rather it be the one of the two who plays for our division rival. :pirate:

That season he started out as a relative unknown and was gangbusters the first 4 games of the year. After that:

Cameron's "breakout" 2013 final 11 games (only played 15 games) - 50 catches, 557 yards, 2 tds

Chandler's 2013 final 12 games (played all 16) - 39 catches, 500 yards, 1 td

Obviously Chandler out produced Cameron last year.

Pass. I get crushed every day in my office when I tell my co-workers that I don't find her attractive at all.

But Charles Clay, I'm in on as a better option at TE.

you really need to see an eye doctor. I mean, she might not be in your top 10 of celebrities, but to not find her attractive at all! Either you need an eye exam, or you are qualified to referee the next Pats** game w/ your eyesight :w00t:

That season he started out as a relative unknown and was gangbusters the first 4 games of the year. After that:

Cameron's "breakout" 2013 final 11 games (only played 15 games) - 50 catches, 557 yards, 2 tds

Chandler's 2013 final 12 games (played all 16) - 39 catches, 500 yards, 1 td

Obviously Chandler out produced Cameron last year.

Cameron worries me as well. I'd be much more comfortable with Clay.

I actually think Cameron is a very good TE, injury concerns aside. He can block like a T can catch and run like a WR. He has also played with crap QBs which makes him more impressive. I really like him as a player. He would fit in great here IMO. However I think he has his sights set on signing with a west coast team with an established QB and of that is the case the Bills would need to significantly overpay for him. Not a good idea with the concussion issues IMO.

I actually think Cameron is a very good TE, injury concerns aside. He can block like a T can catch and run like a WR. He has also played with crap QBs which makes him more impressive. I really like him as a player. He would fit in great here IMO. However I think he has his sights set on signing with a west coast team with an established QB and of that is the case the Bills would need to significantly overpay for him. Not a good idea with the concussion issues IMO.

Won't Seattle be the only team that fits that criteria? Unless the 49ers let Davis walk.

He is at $9m. I think that this should give some perspective: http://overthecap.com/position/tight-end/. I feel like with the rising cap he will fall in that 2nd tier financially. He will command less than Julius for sure and probably Cameron.

I didn't realize we had Chris Manhertz on the team. Maybe things aren't as dire as I thought.... ;)

What a great football player name. Maybe we should draft Ono Icantfeelmylegs....

Gragg seems to be developing, and has shown some flashes, but still looks weak. This is his year to really show up, or fade away.

Heck, even a Denver if they want a top TE (rumor they offered JT 8m last year?)

Sure considering JT is likely gone. Could see this as well as GB - not where he wants to be geographically but he could sign a 2 year deal, get his numbers way up with that offense and be in position for a mega deal after that especially if he can stay healthy.

Good luck to them unless they are banking on him taking a hometown discount. From

That link:

"Whats unclear is if Buffalo is trying to raise Clays price. Clay is expected to earn in the $4 million per year range. If interest from other teams leak, its possible it could raise his asking price."

Miami has cap issues. He will test FA if they offer him that unless he is hell bent on staying. He can make more.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I guess they better do it soon... Saying you want to re-sign someone won't make it actually happen. Edited by Beef Jerky