Jerry Hughes signs 5-year deal with Bills

@SalSports: A source has informed me the Bills are still working hard towards retaining Jerry Hughes & "still optimistic" they can before FA opens 3/10.

Verrryyyyyy interesting. Maybe he just wanted to dip his toes in the pond to see what kind of offers he might get but at the end of the day they might be in the neighborhood of what the Bills offered

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Verrryyyyyy interesting. Maybe he just wanted to dip his toes in the pond to see what kind of offers he might get but at the end of the day they might be in the neighborhood of what the Bills offered

the money they do not allocate to Harris now could be the key. Rex really is running things...? I Never would have paid Harris that but also maybe they heard something on Revis to make then think they are out of that one too Edited by YoloinOhio

I hope most people around here think the same way when it comes to OGs. I'd rather pay a pass rusher like Hughes a premium than an OG like Iupati. He will be missed. A reuniting with Pettine in Cleveland is a very good possibility. Both need and cap space certainly exist. The other usual suspects like Jax, Oakland, etc. should be in the mix.

Agreed pass rusher >>> OG

the money they do not allocate to Harris now could be the key. Rex really is running things...? I Never would have paid Harris that but also maybe they heard something on Revis to make then think they are out of that one too

makes sense. on Revis I've heard that the Pats want to keep him, just not at $20 mil per. he might want to just stay put with a lower contract but more guaranteed money

@ProFootballTalk: Decision of LB David Harris to stay with Jets increases the chances the Bills keep DE Jerry Hughes.

and there you have it. they probably had certain money earmarked for Harris so now they are able to dip into that piggy bank for Hughes and they will probably get a much lower priced ILB in FA or maybe the draft

Hughes stock will never be higher, I can't blame him for wanting to see how much that truly is worth. There should be no reason not to sign Dareus now, unless they wait and he has another great year, then it's the same scenario...

Dareus will be,really expensive now, or next year. We could always use,the tag after next year and then sign him no need to rush things

Agreed pass rusher >>> OG

Agreed. I could get by with just the Incognito signing. Assuming he can return close to his previous ability, that is one G spot locked up at a big upgrade. Im fine with Williams, Urbik, Kujo, Richardson battling it out for the other spot if it meant we get Hughes back.

Hughes stock will never be higher, I can't blame him for wanting to see how much that truly is worth. There should be no reason not to sign Dareus now, unless they wait and he has another great year, then it's the same scenario...

Well, theres one big reason, and that would be that Dareus and his agent dont WANT to sign now. How do people keep missing this very simple point? Youve been around long enough to know this.

Plus there is always the tag

Edited by DrDareustein

Helping Jerry out a bit here...

Pros:

1) Get to work with one of the greatest Defensive minds of this generation. A guy who puts players in a position to excel.

2) Comfort level of playing on the same line with 3 all pros

3) A team and owner committed to winning - now have a superstar RB and a serviceable QB

4) Much greater possibility of playing out the entire contract you sign -- including any back end loaded salary years

5) Coach you hated and who was not even aware your coordinator was holding you out of a game is gone

Cons:

1) Less guaranteed money and salary-- by probably 10-15%

2) Agent will be pissed I went for less cash if I sign with the Bills

3) Hot girlfriend will be pissed I want for less cash if I sign with the Bills

Edited by Formerly Joe F

Helping Jerry out a bit here...

Pros:

1) Get to work with one of the greatest Defensive minds of this generation. A guy who puts players in a position to excel.

2) Comfort level of playing on the same line with 3 all pros

3) A team and owner committed to winning - now have a superstar RB and a serviceable QB

4) Much greater possibility of playing out the entire contract you sign -- including any back end loaded salary years

5) Coach you hated and who was not even aware your coordinator was holding you out of a game is gone

Cons:

1) Less guaranteed money and salary-- by probably 10-15%

2) Agent will be pissed I went for less cash if I sign with the Bills

3) Hot girlfriend will be pissed I want for less cash if I sign with the Bills

getting married next month

https://www.theknot.com/us/meghan-robinson-and-jerry-hughes-apr-2015

@ProFootballTalk: Decision of LB David Harris to stay with Jets increases the chances the Bills keep DE Jerry Hughes.

Does this really increase the chance that the Bills keep him?

Or does it really just increase Hughes' leverage, and suggest that the Bills will now up the price too much, if necessary.

Because unless Hughes was planning to go to the Jets after Harris left, I dont see how Hughes would think going back to Buffalo is now more likely. Or, maybe it increases the likelihood that Buffalo TAGS Hughes.

Edited by maddenboy

Does this really increase the chance that the Bills keep him?

Or does it really just increase Hughes' leverage, and suggest that the Bills will now up the price too much, if necessary.

Because unless Hughes was planning to go to the Jets after Harris left, I dont see how Hughes would think going back to Buffalo is now more likely. Or, maybe it increases the likelihood that Buffalo TAGS Hughes.

they don't play the same position. Hughes is a DE/Pass rushing LB and Harris is a MLB. because they didn't spend money to get Harris now the Bills have the money to give Hughes a little more

Jerry Hughes is a good end/olb. He has to beat the man in front of him in order to make the sack...but I'd say he owes a portion of his signing bonus to Kyle, Mario and Marcel.

Well then they owe him too. I never understood why people discredit some players. He is very good plain and simple.

they don't play the same position. Hughes is a DE/Pass rushing LB and Harris is a MLB. because they didn't spend money to get Harris now the Bills have the money to give Hughes a little more

Okay, cool.

But still, its still a one-sided increase in the likelihood that we keep him. Unless it increases the likelihood of the Tag. Or unless Hughes told them "if you offer me X, I will stay for sure."

When PFT and other sources make comments like this, I am never sure if they are just connecting the dots (the same dots that said Harris was pretty much a done deal for Buffalo, because of his Rex connection), or if they really know something. Starting to think it is the former rather than the latter. If the Bills have made their best order, based on their own standards of his dollar worth to the team, why would they just decide to pay him more all of the sudden, just because another guy at the same position decides to stay with his team

When PFT and other sources make comments like this, I am never sure if they are just connecting the dots (the same dots that said Harris was pretty much a done deal for Buffalo, because of his Rex connection), or if they really know something. Starting to think it is the former rather than the latter. If the Bills have made their best order, based on their own standards of his dollar worth to the team, why would they just decide to pay him more all of the sudden, just because another guy at the same position decides to stay with his team

Okay, cool.

But still, its still a one-sided increase in the likelihood that we keep him. Unless it increases the likelihood of the Tag. Or unless Hughes told them "if you offer me X, I will stay for sure."

Like any negotiation it was probably "we will sign now for X" and the Bills said "that's too much how about X?"

I'm sure this money they aren't going to give to Harris can go towards getting closer to Hughes' dollar amount. His agents probably have an idea of what he might get in the market and the Bills have an idea of what he is worth to them and they just need to meet in the middle. And I'm hoping they do it before the other team's can make an offer on Tuesday because you know there is always that 1 stupid desperate team that will overpay and we don't want to have to compete with that.

It's like any budget. You only have so much money you are going to put towards something. If you don't spend on the one thing then you have more money for the other thing.

I hope most people around here think the same way when it comes to OGs. I'd rather pay a pass rusher like Hughes a premium than an OG like Iupati. He will be missed. A reuniting with Pettine in Cleveland is a very good possibility. Both need and cap space certainly exist. The other usual suspects like Jax, Oakland, etc. should be in the mix.

Hughes and Suh in oak with kahlil mack? Wow Edited by Agent 91

Hughes would be a fool to not test to open maket at this point.

Depending on where he lands I disagree with this. If he goes somewhere that the supporting cast sucks he'll under perform and likely get cut. Happens all the time. If he stays here, performs, he'll likely see the larger portion of a contract.

Well then they owe him too. I never understood why people discredit some players. He is very good plain and simple.

Exactly. He was a monster this year. It's not like teams ignored him because of the other players. Maybe the rest of the line had career years in part because of how well Hughes played.

Depending on where he lands I disagree with this. If he goes somewhere that the supporting cast sucks he'll under perform and likely get cut. Happens all the time. If he stays here, performs, he'll likely see the larger portion of a contract.

What does that have to do with testing the open market? I simply mean that signing now is pointless when he could wait 4 days to weigh his options elsewhere, knowing that it'd likely help his case in Buffalo. Waiting till FA opens gives him an even bigger bargaining chip

If I were the Bills, I'd tell Mario we will lose Hughes because we cannot justify paying so much money on the DL. Ask him to take a bit of of pay cut so we can retain Hughes and keep the DL together.

I think this has a lot less to do with players restructuring/taking pay cuts and more to do with Marcel Darius

Marcel must be kept at all costs.....and he is going to get a VERY big contract.

What does that have to do with testing the open market? I simply mean that signing now is pointless when he could wait 4 days to weigh his options elsewhere, knowing that it'd likely help his case in Buffalo. Waiting till FA opens gives him an even bigger bargaining chip

Billeve, the risk for Hughes and his agent to weigh against this is Spiller factor. Just as he can talk to other people in 4 days, so can the Bills, and there are a number of other good FA DE out there. The Bills are showing every evidence of being thorough with evaluating all their options at this point. If he leaves the Bills hanging, they could well decide to pursue someone else and he'd get that "thank you for your services" call.

That's not to say he shouldn't test the market, it's just that there IS a point to signing while the Bills can't start their own conversations and shut him out. It's a calculated risk that while there may well be clubs who will offer him more, they may or may not be clubs with great lines and coaches he wants to play for who want to offer him more.

Edited by Hopeful

The #1 off season priority, IMO, is to keep your own quality FAs. All other things are secondary. Losing Hughes would be a big loss. Not because of what he will or won't do with another team but because of what we know and have seen him do here with the Bills. When you bring in somebody else to "replace" him, it's always guesswork as to what he can do in your system, with your players, etc. Hughes in Buffalo is a known quantity. A very good player. Guys like him need to be kept if you don't constantly want to be on a treadmill.

Edited by vincec

Don't think this has been posted yet but apologies if it has. This former agent predicted the contracts the top 20 or so FA will get. He says Hughes will get 5-60 with 34m guaranteed and 39m in first three years. He seems to be pretty wired in and knowledgeable.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25095322/agents-take-what-the-asking-price-should-be-for-20-top-free-agents?FTAG=YHF7e3228e

Exactly. He was a monster this year. It's not like teams ignored him because of the other players. Maybe the rest of the line had career years in part because of how well Hughes played.

Not a chance...everyone here says the only reason Hughes played well was because Mario and Dareus were always double-teamed. Hughes deserves no credit at all. He should sign with the Bills and feel fortunate to get anything

If I were the Bills, I'd tell Mario we will lose Hughes because we cannot justify paying so much money on the DL. Ask him to take a bit of of pay cut so we can retain Hughes and keep the DL together.

and I'd tell the Bills you're full of ****. You have plenty of cap space. Not my problem.

It's very hard for great players at the top of their game to do stuff like that. They would be hated by other players around the league for doing it. Teams would start to use that against players on their own team. It's way different if they ask you to take a paycut because you aren't liivng up to it, or to restructure which is almost always better for the player not worse. But voluntarily giving back money from your contract, even if he wanted to and it would help the team would be very hard to do.