Jerry Hughes signs 5-year deal with Bills

McPhee is going to get paid only slightly less than Hughes. Morgan, Reed and Graham are interesting names. Obviously we all know Hardy can play, but given teams being desperate for pass rushers, I'd be surprised if he signs near a cheap as some seem to believe. No one will give him a long contract, but he's not going to be signing for $2 mil.

McPhee will get around $7 or $8 mil. For me, I wouldn't be interested in him but he is a much more versatile player than Hughes which be attractive to Ryan. But, yeah probably not likely.

Brooks Reed is a guy I like. And Graham too. Greg Hardy, it's been reported, is looking for a true 43 team.

I think they'll be looking for a more versatile player than Hughes. And cheaper. They can take the 9 million for Hughes and go fill out the rest of the D with that money.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed.

I'm confused why people think Hardy will come cheap. He may not get what he would've without the off the field issues, but he is still going to get paid a lot of $$$.

I guess it depends on how much the Bills had budgeted for Hughes and whether or not Hardy can get more than that on the open market...Which he more than likely can...

But who knows...Maybe Hardy views the Bills as a great opportunity

he didn't wait until the last minute - they reportedly started talking extension in March 2014

I didn't see much about this last spring. How serious was the effort? Any efforts you know of during the season?

Haha, what fantasy land. He was just tagged for $14 million and was coming off a monster year. If you think he'll come cheaper than Hughes, I don't know what to tell you.

You may be right...But I would imagine at the very least there will be a lot of incentives tied into a contract of that size for Hardy...Just can't get away from the risk assuming the story of that off-field incident are anywhere close to being true... B-)

I didn't see much about this last spring. How serious was the effort? Any efforts you know of during the season?

it was reported by Rotoworld and picked up by various Twitter folk. I don't know anything more. Edited by YoloinOhio

I think you need to calm down. Just me though. What does Hughes have to do with Dareus?

Hughes got let go Buffalo had a number, Hughes had a different one.

But lets not think clearly.

BUFFALO YOU SUCK

EFF YOU WHALEY.

RALPH IS CHEAP.

SAME OL BILLS!

ROFL, LMAO, ZOMG!

It is just you. The tone this franchise takes with their upcoming free agents can make a difference. If the Bills are content to simply feel out Dareus' demands this spring and let him play out the season, he is most likely gone. Give him a nice raise for 2015 and lock him in if you believe in him.

None of my posts have anything to do with that garbage you're shouting. Big bills fan, Whaley fan, but IMO they need to learn their lessons about how to treat their in-house talent.

Transition tag would still be more than $10 million.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills went into negotiations with the intent of NOT signing him, knowing they didn't want to commit that much money to him.

Transition tag would give us a chance to match whatever contract Hughes gets. You only get the tag number if he signed the tag and didn't pursue a contract elsewhere.

It is just you. The tone this franchise takes with their upcoming free agents can make a difference. If the Bills are content to simply feel out Dareus' demands this spring and let him play out the season, he is most likely gone. Give him a nice raise for 2015 and lock him in if you believe in him.

None of my posts have anything to do with that garbage you're shouting. Big bills fan, Whaley fan, but IMO they need to learn their lessons about how to treat their in-house talent.

Why do you assume Whaley and the Pegulas just sit on their hands until the last minute? Of course they want to extend these guys, and of course they make offers. They did it with Aaron Williams, they did it with McKelvin, they did it with Eric Wood. And that was all before the Pegulas took over. They're already in talks with Bradham. They'll do it with any player that is willing to negotiate with them.

And given the history between Dareus and Pegula, one would have to assume they'll talk about a deal soon, if they havent already.

Edited by DrDareustein

I see your point.

I certainly would've liked to see them sign him during the year; we don't know what he was being told by his agent though. As soon as he started putting together another solid season, it started making more and more sense for him to hit the open market, ya know?

Exactly, and sure there's a lot of unknowns. I'm just not convinced our management was doing everything they could to build that bridge and hope they do better with Dareus.

Transition tag would give us a chance to match whatever contract Hughes gets. You only get the tag number if he signed the tag and didn't pursue a contract elsewhere.

i think they know they aren't going to match. And won't be compensated a draft pick if he leaves with that tag. The tag is like 10mill+ gtd too.

Jerry Hughes is a very good player....there are literally several veteran players that could fill that spot not to mention several pass rushers in the draft.

Lets face it....this is a Rex Ryan defense.......we still have the best DL in the league especially if they go get a solid veteran guy to fill that spot.

And 11 million dollars for a player that was rotting away on the colts bench is flat insane.

I totally understand

Dear Jerry,

Good luck in FA. Be careful what you wish for. The opportunity to line up next to 3 pro-bowlers is truly unique. Double-teams every single play suck. You will feel increased pressure to produce. If you don't, the fans and media will turn on you quick. You will become the centerpiece of the defense you go to. Here, you get to play in the shadows. And you really seem to like to play with the guys on that line. I'm bummed. But I won't fault a guy for trying to get paid. I just think you'd be more likely to see out your entire contract in Buffalo than elsewhere.

P.S. If you're leaving because Doug forgot to put you back in. Fair enough.

Jerry Hughes is a very good player....there are literally several veteran players that could fill that spot not to mention several pass rushers in the draft.

Lets face it....this is a Rex Ryan defense.......we still have the best DL in the league especially if they go get a solid veteran guy to fill that spot.

And 11 million dollars for a player that was rotting away on the colts bench is flat insane.

I totally understand

Exactly. I like Jerry and would like to see him stay in a Bills uniform but I also acknowledge he's a system guy. If a team thinks they can just throw him on any defense and he'll produce double digit sack totals, the Colts would beg to differ.

Why do you assume Whaley and the Pegulas just sit on their hands until the last minute? Of course they want to extend these guys, and of course they make offers. They did it with Aaron Williams, they did it with McKelvin, they did it with Eric Wood. And that was all before the Pegulas took over. They're already in talks with Bradham. They'll do it with any player that is willing to negotiate with them.

And given the history between Dareus and Pegula, one would have to assume they'll talk about a deal soon, if they havent already.

I certainly don't assume they just sit on their hands, and you've made that point quite well with your examples. This article came out in December. This speaks volumes about who Jerry is: http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Commitment-to-routine-makes-Jerry-Hughes-special/32bb2737-c80e-4019-94b7-c7001cf0a4f3

This guy's a worker and management needs to recognize that. I just don't think they took that all into account or they were blowing smoke about Hughes this entire offseason. They shouldn't be so effusive and confident about resigning him because if their offer isn't good enough then it just pisses Hughes off.

This is a guy I want(ed) to keep on this team, he's a talented, driven, player. Doug and Rex sounded like they wanted him too. Rex told the scouts to just find me people who can play, I think Hughes has proven himself. Doesn't inspire confidence in Rex's "plan". "Hometown discount" comes into play when management takes a chance and rewards guys early with a new contract before their old one runs out.

I wonder if the contract numbers discussed last spring were as high as they are now?

I certainly don't assume they just sit on their hands, and you've made that point quite well with your examples. This article came out in December. This speaks volumes about who Jerry is: http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Commitment-to-routine-makes-Jerry-Hughes-special/32bb2737-c80e-4019-94b7-c7001cf0a4f3

This guy's a worker and management needs to recognize that. I just don't think they took that all into account or they were blowing smoke about Hughes this entire offseason. They shouldn't be so effusive and confident about resigning him because if their offer isn't good enough then it just pisses Hughes off.

This is a guy I want(ed) to keep on this team, he's a talented, driven, player. Doug and Rex sounded like they wanted him too. Rex told the scouts to just find me people who can play, I think Hughes has proven himself. Doesn't inspire confidence in Rex's "plan". "Hometown discount" comes into play when management takes a chance and rewards guys early with a new contract before their old one runs out.

I wonder if the contract numbers discussed last spring were as high as they are now?

You are making more generalizations and assumptions in the bold than you warned me about making.

Of course the offers werent as high as they are now. No one could predict that he would be the TOP pass rusher in this year's FA class. Maybe one of the best, but certainly not the top of the list. Unfortunately, JPP and Justin Houston got tagged and just like that, Hughes' numbers went way up.

And you say it yourself, the only chance "hometown discount" comes into play is if they start talks early. Like they tried to.

The thing is, with the option of FA always looming in the background, it puts the team in the precarious position of negotiating against themselves. You can only make so many offers, and raise your numbers up so high, before you start really shooting yourself in the foot.

I get it, we all want(ed) to keep Hughes. But there is way more to it than the FO just "getting it done".

Who wouldnt hit FA if you were Hughes??