Jerry Hughes signs 5-year deal with Bills

Contract by yearly salary cap hits

Hughes is still only 26 years old (turning 27 before the season), so there is a solid chance that he will play out the life of this well-done and reasonable contract. Here are Hughes' yearly cap hits (along with Mario Williams and Kyle Williams) to demonstrate how the Bills may have been thinking bigger picture on this deal.

2015: $6.175 million ($19.4 million for Mario, $6.4 million for Kyle). This includes $1.4 million in prorated bonus.

2016: $7.575 million ($19.9 million for Mario, $7 million for Kyle). This includes $1.4 million in prorated bonus and $1.5 million in prorated option bonus.

2017: $10.45 million ($16.5 million for Mario). This includes a $2 million roster bonus, and the aforementioned $2.9 million in prorated bonuses.

2018: $10.4 million. This includes a $1 million roster bonus, and the aforementioned $2.9 million in prorated bonuses.

2019: $10.4 million. This breakdown is exactly the same as the 2018 league year.

You'll note that Hughes' cap hits really rise precipitously after both Kyle Williams and Mario Williams' current deals expire.

Edited by richNjoisy

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Contract by yearly salary cap hits
Hughes is still only 26 years old (turning 27 before the season), so there is a solid chance that he will play out the life of this well-done and reasonable contract. Here are Hughes' yearly cap hits (along with Mario Williams and Kyle Williams) to demonstrate how the Bills may have been thinking bigger picture on this deal.
2015: $6.175 million ($19.4 million for Mario, $6.4 million for Kyle). This includes $1.4 million in prorated bonus.
2016: $7.575 million ($19.9 million for Mario, $7 million for Kyle). This includes $1.4 million in prorated bonus and $1.5 million in prorated option bonus.
2017: $10.45 million ($16.5 million for Mario). This includes a $2 million roster bonus, and the aforementioned $2.9 million in prorated bonuses.
2018: $10.4 million. This includes a $1 million roster bonus, and the aforementioned $2.9 million in prorated bonuses.
2019: $10.4 million. This breakdown is exactly the same as the 2018 league year.
You'll note that Hughes' cap hits really rise precipitously after both Kyle Williams and Mario Williams' current deals expire.

So for the first three years it goes -

$32million

$34.5million

$26.5million (but no KW)

Clever cap management.

I feel it was disrespectful to ask Hughes about a "hometown discount." Just the same, I think we got one.

but when he was asked about it I honestly felt like he really has never heard if it, not that he would never do it. I agree it was a stupid question esp considering he has only been here 2 years.

no. the patriots would have paid him less. in other words: this has a risk of turning out to be a bad deal.

they would have paid him less? Because they have Brady and don't need to lean on D or because Kraft is cheap? What does it have to do with how much the Bills paid considering they don't have a QB to pay? Edited by YoloinOhio

Not sure if that jacket is from Brooks Brothers or a Goodwill store. Either way it's f'ugly.

Did you hear about the dyslexic who was supposed to go to Cox's to get a searscucker suit? That's right, he went to Sears and got a ... well, you know.

GO BILLS!!!

I didn't think this was possible during the season but this is fantastic news. I love Doug Whaley as GM and looking forward to seeing more from Hughes in Rex's system

This is just awesome

I feel it was disrespectful to ask Hughes about a "hometown discount." Just the same, I think we got one.

I think we did too, but not a big one. He said he told his agent at the end of the year he wanted to stay in Buffalo. Either way, he got pain and the Bills got a great player.

I just watched the Chris Brown interview and am very impressed with Hughes' attitude and enthusiasm. Huge contract aside, the guy seems genuinely excited to play for the Bills and with a defense that he repeatedly talks about being a very close bunch of guys. Can't wait to see how scary they are in 2015!

I was watching that and getting damn excited for the year. He told John Murphy that he wants to work even harder now. Hughes talked a lot about the work ethic of all the guys that are here and how much they want to win. It's giving me goose bumps just typing about it.

One of my favorite moments from last year was after the safety against the Packers that sealed the game. I think it was Mario and Kyle who bear hugged and were jumping up and down like a couple of school girls that hadn't seen each other in a year. These guys seem to really be invested in each other and the Bills.

I think we did too, but not a big one. He said he told his agent at the end of the year he wanted to stay in Buffalo. Either way, he got pain and the Bills got a great player.

I was watching that and getting damn excited for the year. He told John Murphy that he wants to work even harder now. Hughes talked a lot about the work ethic of all the guys that are here and how much they want to win. It's giving me goose bumps just typing about it.

One of my favorite moments from last year was after the safety against the Packers that sealed the game. I think it was Mario and Kyle who bear hugged and were jumping up and down like a couple of school girls that hadn't seen each other in a year. These guys seem to really be invested in each other and the Bills.

Just think of all the players here who have been told they aren't good enough, can't play, etc and worked their butts off to get where they have...then finally they are surrounded by actual real talent and they can see it, taste it, feel it...they want to win so bad it probably hurts

Just think of all the players here who have been told they aren't good enough, can't play, etc and worked their butts off to get where they have...then finally they are surrounded by actual real talent and they can see it, taste it, feel it...they want to win so bad it probably hurts

^

|

This

Edited by Nanker

I am really pleased with this signing. It is interesting because when asked Hughes said "I've never really heard of a hometown discount when it comes to the business world" (true) and yet this seems like a slightly below market deal. I think it is a good signing for both sides because Hughes has a real chance to see the full value of the deal. Also I wonder if playing on a great D he will see fewer double teams and other abuse... Possibly less injuries?