Cyrus Kouandjio not wasting any time prepping for 2015

Found it pretty striking the new-found dedication Kujo seems to have found.

Heading into his second NFL season, Kouandjio has spent most of the offseason at the LeCharles Bentley Offensive Line Performance Training Center in Scottsdale, Arizona. It’s the first and one of the only training centers devoted exclusively to offensive line play.

“This is all offensive linemen work,” Kouandjio said this week, in an appearance on The John Murphy Show. “I’m training with all offensive linemen. All we do is offensive line drills, we don’t waste time out here. All we do are offensive line related exercises.”

Kouandjio went to work at the Bentley O-Line center after taking off just one week when the season ended

“I’ve been there since the second week after the season, the last nine weeks,” Kouandjio told host John Murphy. “I’m going to stay here until I have to report (to the Bills). We work six days a week, take Sundays off

Note also the "positive environment" comment - wonder if that is a shot at St Doug

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Cyrus-Kouandjio-not-wasting-any-time-prepping-for-2015/e9b98a16-f852-4326-a953-0bdb52cebb62

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found it pretty striking the new-found dedication Kujo seems to have found.

had he not previously had dedication? its great work hes doing, just wasnt sure if there was a reason for the shot at his previous work.

I love the dedication but the guy needs to let his body rest too. You can't grind all offseason and hope to come into camp fresh and ready to go.

Also, he's 21. Remember when you could go out, drink a case of beer, and get up for work the next day at 7a feeling like a million bucks? It's like that, but with exercise

had he not previously had dedication? its great work hes doing, just wasnt sure if there was a reason for the shot at his previous work.

I guess that's a fair point - I don't know that for sure, but do read "Kouandjio is changing it by going full-bore this offseason with a training and workout regimen" to imply he didn't go "full-bore" before. If your "mind-set" is not right as he admits it wasn't last year, generally I would think that would also affect your dedication.

Sounds to me too like he really got in Marrone's doghouse, and was likely crushed by the negativity as well.

Would be great if he can turnaround his play through a combination of altering his mind-set and dedication - plus by having some competent coaching (the "tard yard" characterzation above has to be one of my favorite phrases on this board ever).

I guess that's a fair point - I don't know that for sure, but do read "Kouandjio is changing it by going full-bore this offseason with a training and workout regimen" to imply he didn't go "full-bore" before. If your "mind-set" is not right as he admits it wasn't last year, generally I would think that would also affect your dedication.

Sounds to me too like he really got in Marrone's doghouse, and was likely crushed by the negativity as well.

Would be great if he can turnaround his play through a combination of altering his mind-set and dedication - plus by having some competent coaching (the "tard yard" characterzation above has to be one of my favorite phrases on this board ever).

this time last year he was training for the draft. maybe between may and training camp he slacked?

I like seeing commitment. It's one of the pillars of what success looks like.

Agreed. I would love for him to be starting for us next season. I hate to see 2nd rounders bust. Hopefully he'll fully commit to what the Coaches tell him and be a dominant player for the Bills.

I think it's a good point to bring up, as you do, that being in the doghouse most likely had a huge impact on his mentality. They guy came in saying he's not used to losing, he's certainly not used to riding the bench after his success in college. It's probably the first time he's ever failed in his life before (which tends to be the case when rookies come to the professional ranks and see they're no longer at the top of the food chain), and sometimes that can really mess with a guy's head.

I'm obviously speculating, but it would make sense. Nothing, in my experience, helps alleviate that kind of bad mentality like a fresh start with a new coaching staff.

I think it's a good point to bring up, as you do, that being in the doghouse most likely had a huge impact on his mentality. They guy came in saying he's not used to losing, he's certainly not used to riding the bench after his success in college. It's probably the first time he's ever failed in his life before (which tends to be the case when rookies come to the professional ranks and see they're no longer at the top of the food chain), and sometimes that can really mess with a guy's head.

I'm obviously speculating, but it would make sense. Nothing, in my experience, helps alleviate that kind of bad mentality like a fresh start with a new coaching staff.

And further to the point, can't help but think, based on things that trickle out, likely what a miserable SOB Marrone probably was , and how it likely affected both individuals and the team as a whole.

For Kujo to specifically include the comment "It’s a really positive environment" about a group of guys doing footbal workouts to me speaks volumes about his impression of the environment in the "tard yard" :) last year.

Edited by stevewin

And further to the point, can't help but think, based on things that trickle out, likely what a miserable SOB Marrone probably was , and how it likely affected both individuals and the team as a whole.

For Kujo to specifically include the comment "It’s a really positive environment" about a group of guys do footbal workouts to me speaks volumes about his impression of the environment in the "tard yard" :) last year.

100%

Exactly! If that were the case we should have had at least 4 olinemen in the pro bowl with the amount of time Marrone worked on them.

We have no idea what kind of individual player effort resulted from Marrone "working on them" (whatever that may have been). If anything it appears likely it may have caused some players to check out, not work harder

Edited by stevewin

This is great news.

However, we need to win now. A player who was very underwhelming his rookie year shouldn't be counted on merely because of his choice of offseason workout.

Plus, I don't think you can have too many healthy OL. Incognito has been out of football a year and is 32, and even if they add a quality OG in FA injures are always a concern.

I hope he continues to progress and if his improvement makes it a tough choice for Bills brass to play him, that's a good problem to have. However it shouldn't be counted on.

We have no idea what kind of individual player effort resulted from Marrone "working on them" (whatever that may have been). If anything it appears likely it may have caused some players to check out, not work harder

Kind of my point. Reports were he spent more time on the oline during practices than anywhere else and they appeared to get worse and worse. Or as you said, checked out/quit on him.

I know this thread is really about a feel-good report on a young player with a disappointing rookie season trying to improve himself

And I hope it works out for him and for us really I do..

I keep reading this thread as an Onion headline implying it's a hopeless cause though

"Cyrus Kouandjio not wasting any time prepping for 2015 (he'll head right to the bench this year)"

Edited by Hopeful

I know this thread is really about a feel-good report on a young player with a disappointing rookie season trying to improve himself

I keep reading this thread as an Onion headline implying it's a hopeless cause though

"Cyrus Kouandjio not wasting any time prepping for 2015 (he'll head right to the bench this year)"

Yeah, I had to read the title like 4-5 times before I came in.

Its almost like ". . . not wasting any time BY ACTUALLY prepping . . . " and choosing to eat cheeseburgers instead.

And yeah, LeCharles has had that school for a few years now. Seen it on TV 2-3 times, and all of the students love, love it. Sounds like LeCharles is really cool. Glad to see he's putting his knowledge to use post-NFL.

http://www.olineperformance.com/AboutUs.aspx

Edited by maddenboy

One of the drills they do is to strap a Sham-Wow to their asses and polish LeCharles Bentley's car.