Is the o-line talent already on the roster?

TPS

The Bills' O-line really regressed this year across the board, and their higher drafted rookies contributed almost nothing. However, when looking at their draft profiles, it seems that Kuoandjio and Richardson have exactly the type of talent that a Ryan/Roman offense is looking for--road graders.

Here's the over view for Kuoandjio from NFL.com:

BOTTOM LINE

Massive, long-limbed, inconsistent, overhyped college left tackle whose sheer dimensions, raw tools and high ceiling are far more appealing than his snap-to-snap performance at this stage of his development. Has enough length and anchor strength to survive on the left side, though he will never be a dancing bear, and he projects more ideally as a bulldozing right tackle in a power scheme.

Richardson is described similarly:

BOTTOM LINE

Massive road grader with enough mass to re-establish the line of scrimmage in the run game. Versatility to play right tackle adds to value, and he has the physical tools to compete readily in a man-blocking scheme if the game is kept simple. Has a bust factor.

A couple of boom-bust possibilities with these two, but one is described as a "bulldozing right tackle" and the other as a "massive road grader." I'm not saying they shouldn't bring in more talent, but maybe with some good coaching the Bills already have the talent they need on the roster??

Henderson, Glenn, Wood, Richardson, Kuoandjio????

Sure, bring in a defensive coach to replace a very good defensive coach, to a team without a quarterback, an offensive line, and a head coach who had proven his offensive philosopy. It reminds me or the great day of the Tennesee Miracle, when the coach in charge of the special teams, who had the best special teams in the NFL for the previous two years, was fired immediately after that play, while the coaches who did not use Flutie, watched their quarterback sacked five times, allowing the game to be close enough to be lost to a forward pass called a lateral, went back to the best early retirement gig since civil service.

Bring in Manning, he is his own offensive coordinator, I am sure with Ryan on the sidelines, those short passes will allow Buddy to gain weight again, because he will not be moving very far up and down the sideline.

I don't think so. To me Richardson cannot move at all. Can't run screens with him, can't pull him and he is so stiff and slow he gets beaten in pass protection. As for Cy Ko, I see no hope for him as a tackle. He just did not seem able to play in space at all. I was shocked at what a turnstile he was during preseason for a 2nd round pick. I have no idea about him as a guard as I didn't see him there.

I am sure they will both be in camp but it would be beyond risky to count on either of them to be starters.I would love to see them go back to more mobile guards. It just opens up so many more options offensively. I watched John Urschel of Canisius High School and Penn St with the Ravens and was really really impressed. He was a 5th rounder and can move yet is strong enough to anchor too. I think he was too small for St. Doug. St. Doug loved him some big stiffs on the interior and it cost him a playoff spot. I just hope they can recover this year.

Edited by norton20

The Bills' O-line really regressed this year across the board, and their higher drafted rookies contributed almost nothing. However, when looking at their draft profiles, it seems that Kuoandjio and Richardson have exactly the type of talent that a Ryan/Roman offense is looking for--road graders.

Here's the over view for Kuoandjio from NFL.com:

BOTTOM LINE

Massive, long-limbed, inconsistent, overhyped college left tackle whose sheer dimensions, raw tools and high ceiling are far more appealing than his snap-to-snap performance at this stage of his development. Has enough length and anchor strength to survive on the left side, though he will never be a dancing bear, and he projects more ideally as a bulldozing right tackle in a power scheme.

Richardson is described similarly:

BOTTOM LINE

Massive road grader with enough mass to re-establish the line of scrimmage in the run game. Versatility to play right tackle adds to value, and he has the physical tools to compete readily in a man-blocking scheme if the game is kept simple. Has a bust factor.

A couple of boom-bust possibilities with these two, but one is described as a "bulldozing right tackle" and the other as a "massive road grader." I'm not saying they shouldn't bring in more talent, but maybe with some good coaching the Bills already have the talent they need on the roster??

Henderson, Glenn, Wood, Richardson, Kuoandjio????

hopefully but doubt that is the final Oline

The O-line talent might be a lot better than people think. We we're all convinced Wood and Glenn were solid, now they mysteriously start to suck? I don't think so. The coaching wasn't working or the system didn't fit, but we KNOW those guys have talent. And Urbik & Pears were never world beaters, but they were serviceable pros.

Plus, we brought in some talented prospects in Henderson, Richardson, & Kouandjio. 2 of the 3 were widely projected as first rounders this time last year and the other (Henderson) was never short on raw talent.

Everyone talks about developing QBs, but OL have about the steepest learning curve out there. Now they've got a year under their belts, are likely to get better coaching, and they just might surprise some people.

Did you watch Richardson when he was starting at LG? He was brutal and didn't look anything like a road grader to me

Since Kuoandjio never saw the field we have no idea how he progressed during the season but the fact that he couldn't even get active on game day doesn't say a lot for the second round pick.

I'm really hoping Kuoandjio can contend for one of the guard spots next year but at this point this team can't coubt on either one of these guys and will need to add at least 2 maybe 3 guards this offseason.

My offseason starting with the oline:

Glenn--Lupati--Wood--Urbik--Henderson

See if Richardson Chris Williams or KuJo can push Urbik. Who would start by default.

I'm drafting BPA at 50---hopefully a QB slips. Then drafting oline DB oline RB rest of draft.

Hughes I'm letting go as I just don't think we can afford him. Hope we do...just don't see it. Too many guys have priority over him IMO.

All RBs will be back. Spiller will not see big money.

I'm looking to sign Hoyer...there just aren't any trades to be made for a Kap or Cutler or Foles or Bradford. We gotta hit in the draft. Or Roman works magic with EJ (who expect will start opening day). But Glennon and MAYBE RGIII could be available if the Redskins draft Winston---which is being discussed down here and the Bucs go Mariotta.

Edited by Big Blitz

No, the current players on the o-line cannot be instantly upgraded through coaching alone. The o-line needs a significant infusion of talent. The jury is out on CK, Richardson and Henderson. Not sure if two of the three will be in the league after a few years.

Unfortunately, I behave like the casual fan and tend to watch the ball.

But when I did watch the OL, I saw both missed assignments and blockers lose 1-on-1 battles.

I'm tempted to blame the blown assignments on poor coaching. But when you see a determined OG get shoved aside by a stronger/better DT, that's just lack of talent.

But we had 3 rookies on our roster last year. It will be interesting to see if any of them get better - particularly with better coaching. Better designed blocking schemes might make our OL look better as well.

LT Henderson

LG Glenn

C Wood/FA or draftee

RG Urbik/Richardson/FA or draftee

RT Koundijo

Coach em up right and they'll be ok

I wish you were right, but sometimes all the coaching in the world doesn't matter.

we need two guards, the best two in free agency. Or a guard and a center, slide Eric out to guard. If its Lupati and the dude from the Jets, that's good with me as long as they're beasts. I don't want any more rooks or Urbiks or Pears or Kujo.

But when I did watch the OL, I saw both missed assignments and blockers lose 1-on-1 battles.

I'm tempted to blame the blown assignments on poor coaching. But when you see a determined OG get shoved aside by a stronger/better DT, that's just lack of talent.

But we had 3 rookies on our roster last year. It will be interesting to see if any of them get better - particularly with better coaching. Better designed blocking schemes might make our OL look better as well.

Everyone watches the ball. Let pff grades, sack numbers, ypc and replays showing people getting blatantly beat dictate your opinion on offensive linemen. When people come on here- especially immediately after a game (I respect people who rewatch the game and formulate opinions that way)- and tell everyone who played well on the OL, they are not a better football watcher than you, they are simply full of s***. They see a guy get beat on 1-2 plays that we all saw and tell us how well he played based on 70 snaps. Again, we all watch the ball. Edited by metzelaars_lives

Everyone watches the ball. Let pff grades, sack numbers, ypc and replays showing people getting blatantly beat dictate your opinion on offensive linemen. When people come on here- especially immediately after a game (I respect people who rewatch the game and formulate opinions that way)- and tell everyone who played well on the OL, they are not a better football watcher than you, they are simply full of s***. They see a guy get beat on 1-2 plays that we all saw and tell us how well he played based on 70 snaps. Again, we all watch the ball.

I usually dont comment until I have had a chance to rewatch the game and focus on O line

I know what thing based off this ears OL performance and a "power running game"

We dont have it....not yet. We cannot play OT's at OG and expect to have a power running game because our inside players dont with low enough pad level

I really don't think we know. I also really hope we get the 49ers OL coach to come over and along with Roman, show us how it's done.

Next year, Glenn, Henderson, Kujo, Wood, will probably make the team. Hairston, Urbik, Richardson and Williams are probably going to have to show the coaches something. I assume we sign a starting OG in FA although maybe not the top ones, depending on prospective splashing.

But we may indeed have most of the talent we need. Henderson could blossom in his second year with good coaching. Glenn will hopefully return to form. I assume he just had an off year from 1) his illness, 2) the craptastic play beside him, and 3) marroneitis. Kujo I hope becomes a solid backup but I have no idea if he is salvageable or not. Maybe he is an Aaron Williams. Wood may be shot but I hope not. He's an average player now. But a good system, coaching and player beside him to rejuvenate him.

See if Richardson Chris Williams or KuJo can push Urbik. Who would start by default.

I'm drafting BPA at 50---hopefully a QB slips. Then drafting oline DB oline RB rest of draft.

Hughes I'm letting go as I just don't think we can afford him. Hope we do...just don't see it. Too many guys have priority over him IMO.

I'm looking to sign Hoyer...there just aren't any trades to be made for a Kap or Cutler or Foles or Bradford. We gotta hit in the draft. Or Roman works magic with EJ (who expect will start opening day). But Glennon and MAYBE RGIII could be available if the Redskins draft Winston---which is being discussed down here and the Bucs go Mariotta.

We seem to be the only ones thinking the same about the OL. I don't expect Iupati, but I expect an upgrade there. Otherwise I think we are good at LT, C, and RT. Urbik is serviceable, but not preferable. So there is SOME coaching that could make this much better. Then add a piece or two

Gonna be interesting to see if the Bills new coaching staff can get some of the young players coached up this year. To see if the FO can add some quality talent. I hope Pears at RG, Urbik are finally history.

49ers Mike Solari the possible new o line coach or Redskins Chris Foerster. Things are looking better.

Who the !@#$ is lupati? If you don't know his name is iupati I assume you know nothing about him, and not much about oline

Well one of us used capital letters and the other used lowercase. This is capital i=I, this is lowercase L=l. But nice try.

I'll do it again for you...Iupati. And yes that's spelled correctly. Because you don't know the difference between capital and lowercase letters, I'll assume you don't know anything about anything.

I really think seantrell has a bright future in this league but I would move him over to LT and kick Cordy inside just yet. And Cordys not gonna be too happy about it. Much less payday for a guard. Keep our best tackle at LT. I'd actually like to see if Henderson can swing inside. He's the athlete we need that can get out and pull for screen. Doubt it happens. Hopefully we have 2 brand new guards next year to group with Glenn, wood and Henderson

The players might just suck... Or their performance may have been the result of poor coaching/scheming/fish for dinner. I don't really know, and I would suggest Whaley can't be certain either.

So, do you stand firm and risk losing another season hoping last year's draft grades were right? If I'm running the show I bring in 2-3 new guys either through FA or draft and let the cream rise to the top. ...same with the TE position.

Neither Richardson nor Cujo were ready to play this year, and much will depend on them as to whether they ever will be.

Richardson let himself go his senior year and got too heavy, Cujo was still recovering from his knee injury..and was also out of shape. Both really need to spend the offseason on conditioning and agility, especially short area foot quickness. The present state of their bodies make them pretty useless in pass pro. And if you're useless in pass pro in the NFL...you're pretty much useless. In run blocking...Richardson was the only guard on the squad who could move a DT from his spot. But his pass blocking..as it was..was so bad that he couldn't be on the field.

But...I still think its possible. Call me crazy..but I think people who are overweight can improve their agility while getting in shape. Proper drills, proper program, proper diet could do wonders with both.

And it must be remembered, that this isn't the same as "coaching up" some UDFA. Both have plenty of raw talent. Both were outstanding college linemen. Richardson was an Outland trophy candidate and All American. Cujo was an All American. Both excelled in run blocking.

I watched Richardson a great deal at Baylor, and he didn't get moved in pass pro. He gets bowled over now, not because he's weak, its because he's late getting to where he needs to be, gets off balance, and loses leverage.

I wouldn't write off either just yet. At the same time, I wouldn't go into camp without a plan B and a plan C.

Neither Richardson nor Cujo were ready to play this year, and much will depend on them as to whether they ever will be.

Richardson let himself go his senior year and got too heavy, Cujo was still recovering from his knee injury..and was also out of shape. Both really need to spend the offseason on conditioning and agility, especially short area foot quickness. The present state of their bodies make them pretty useless in pass pro. And if you're useless in pass pro in the NFL...you're pretty much useless. In run blocking...Richardson was the only guard on the squad who could move a DT from his spot. But his pass blocking..as it was..was so bad that he couldn't be on the field.

But...I still think its possible. Call me crazy..but I think people who are overweight can improve their agility while getting in shape. Proper drills, proper program, proper diet could do wonders with both.

And it must be remembered, that this isn't the same as "coaching up" some UDFA. Both have plenty of raw talent. Both were outstanding college linemen. Richardson was an Outland trophy candidate and All American. Cujo was an All American. Both excelled in run blocking.

I watched Richardson a great deal at Baylor, and he didn't get moved in pass pro. He gets bowled over now, not because he's weak, its because he's late getting to where he needs to be, gets off balance, and loses leverage.

I wouldn't write off either just yet. At the same time, I wouldn't go into camp without a plan B and a plan C.

I hope you're right. It's just hard to imagine that we whiffed so badly on both picks, two guys who were All-American's on top 10 college football teams. Or was the Bills scouting department and front office totally fooled by the big sexy bodies they were looking at? Did they ever really evaluate the skills, the tools, the measurable, etc?

I agree, I do think the weight is an issue. Doug wanted big lineman, and that's what he got. But big does not equal good. There has to be some raw ability there. Let's hope better coaching and better conditioning will improve both.

Even if just one pans out, we will be in a better shape (literally and figuratively) on the online.

I don't think so. To me Richardson cannot move at all. Can't run screens with him, can't pull him and he is so stiff and slow he gets beaten in pass protection. As for Cy Ko, I see no hope for him as a tackle. He just did not seem able to play in space at all. I was shocked at what a turnstile he was during preseason for a 2nd round pick. I have no idea about him as a guard as I didn't see him there.

I am sure they will both be in camp but it would be beyond risky to count on either of them to be starters.I would love to see them go back to more mobile guards. It just opens up so many more options offensively. I watched John Urschel of Canisius High School and Penn St with the Ravens and was really really impressed. He was a 5th rounder and can move yet is strong enough to anchor too. I think he was too small for St. Doug. St. Doug loved him some big stiffs on the interior and it cost him a playoff spot. I just hope they can recover this year.

That's exactly the point. The Bills won't be running many screens or asking their big road graders to pull. When Greg Roman was directing a true power run game, he didn't ask his linemen to do things like that. They were told to plow forward, destroying targets and moving to the next victim. Marrone wanted those big guys too, but then he'd ask them to do things designed for smaller, nimbler olinemen. Roman will have a scheme that works with the crew he has.

Who the !@#$ is lupati? If you don't know his name is iupati I assume you know nothing about him, and not much about oline

You are correct.

We seem to be the only ones thinking the same about the OL. I don't expect Iupati, but I expect an upgrade there. Otherwise I think we are good at LT, C, and RT. Urbik is serviceable, but not preferable. So there is SOME coaching that could make this much better. Then add a piece or two

Well one of us used capital letters and the other used lowercase. This is capital i=I, this is lowercase L=l. But nice try.

I'll do it again for you...Iupati. And yes that's spelled correctly. Because you don't know the difference between capital and lowercase letters, I'll assume you don't know anything about anything.

Yes, but a few other gavones on this board are misspelling it.

I wish you were right, but sometimes all the coaching in the world doesn't matter.

we need two guards, the best two in free agency. Or a guard and a center, slide Eric out to guard. If its Lupati and the dude from the Jets, that's good with me as long as they're beasts. I don't want any more rooks or Urbiks or Pears or Kujo.

Henderson lupati wood glenn buluga

If Henderson is a disaster we can always move glenn back and use richardson or urbik

I know I am using a lot of resources bringing in two lineman but that is what I would do

EYE - YOU - PAT- E

Iupati folks I I I not L

I !@#$ing upati.

I'm guessing you've never wrestled.

You are correct.

Yes, but a few other gavones on this board are misspelling it.

EYE - YOU - PAT- E

Iupati folks I I I not L

I !@#$ing upati.

I agree. I hope our FO is eyeing Lupati too.

Sure, bring in a defensive coach to replace a very good defensive coach, to a team without a quarterback, an offensive line, and a head coach who had proven his offensive philosopy. It reminds me or the great day of the Tennesee Miracle, when the coach in charge of the special teams, who had the best special teams in the NFL for the previous two years, was fired immediately after that play, while the coaches who did not use Flutie, watched their quarterback sacked five times, allowing the game to be close enough to be lost to a forward pass called a lateral, went back to the best early retirement gig since civil service.

Bring in Manning, he is his own offensive coordinator, I am sure with Ryan on the sidelines, those short passes will allow Buddy to gain weight again, because he will not be moving very far up and down the sideline.

So you don't think that Rex Ryan is an upgrade over Doug Maroon at HC? And you don't believe that Roman is more qualified as an OC than Hacket? I see both as huge upgrades. The defense will be fine. They played Ryan's system two years ago and that didn't work out too badly.

Okay, to summarize recomended moves or non moves based on active threads. It seems simple enough.

1) O- Line is good just bad coaching, no can spell Iupati and it is a big issue though. Do the Bills even need him?

2) Get Manning pay him his 19 mil. EJ will learn.

3) bring back SJ13 after the niners flat out cut Him.

4) start figuring out super bowl parade route ending at Pegaulaville. Championship!