Bills open to trading Byrd

Jdragon2

Of course they are open to a trade!! They are open to trade anyone on the roster, for the right price.

Until the news is the Bills are trying to make a trade happen, who cares.

The conversation gets real interesting after we see him play next week.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills need a QB badly. Pat White & Dennis Dixon? May as well bring in Betty White & Donna Dixon. Now it comes out that they are open to trading Byrd. They were waiting until he was healthy. I bet it happens tomorrow. Three that I thought of: Giants need a safety. Nassib (Obviously knows Hackett/ Marrone and the offense) and a draft choice for Byrd. Raiders might sign Freeman. They sign him and we trade Byrd to the Raiders for Flynn and a draft choice. Steelers- Gradkowski or Jones for Byrd and a draft choice. They get a QB that is better than any of the free agents out there, not a starter but someone actually on a roster and a draft choice. Plus they are rid of the Byrd headache. Makes sense.

pathetic! Nassib, Flynn, Gradkowski, etc., we are not serious here, right? .... an all-pro safety for guys who will probably be cut before next season starts, yeap, the formula for building a championship team.

We did, his name was Kolb. What veteran worth a damn was out there that you find it staggering that we didn't pick him up?

I am stunned that anyone would think that trading a pro bowl safety in his prime for a QB like Nassib who will be selling insurance in another year is a good idea, all because he "knows" this offense. I watched every game Syracuse played under Marrone and with Nassib. First, this offense is not SU's offense dressed up for the NFL. It is an offense Hackett and Marrone came up with to fit our personnel, including a QB who is 6-5 and can run, a RB with 4.3 speed and one of the craftiest route runners in the league. Nassib doesn't "know" this offense, you folks are just assuming that the offenses are similar. Second, Nassib throws a pop fly whenever he has to heave it more than 20 yards, and that was in the Carrier Dome where the weather conditions were perfect all year round.

Need to re-read what I wrote. I said a trade for Nassib would be disappointing. And seriously, if you think it's wise management to not get a veteran backup after Kolb went down, I don't know what to say.

The time to trade Byrd was before the 2013 NFL draft for a first rd pick in 2014- the Bills are like that guy who refuses to sell his car until it sits rusting in his yard a couple years losing value .

The best offered was a 4th after the extension deadline passed so I highly doubt his pre draft worth was a 1st or 2nd.

Edited by NDBUFFCUSEFAN

It seems like players usually do better waiting.

Short term, perhaps. ESPN (I think it was Clayton) had a story in the off-season about guys in Byrds situation...they get a healthy one year salary if they are franchised...if they are traded or leave for another team, they will sign a huge deal, and more often than not, their new team has buyers remorse, either restructuring their deal, or releasing them outright...not saying these guys are going hungry, but when they sign a monster deal with a new team, they rarely see it through.

Short term, perhaps. ESPN (I think it was Clayton) had a story in the off-season about guys in Byrds situation...they get a healthy one year salary if they are franchised...if they are traded or leave for another team, they will sign a huge deal, and more often than not, their new team has buyers remorse, either restructuring their deal, or releasing them outright...not saying these guys are going hungry, but when they sign a monster deal with a new team, they rarely see it through.

Marv said it right at the very beginning of free agency. It hurts the team losing the player way more than it helps the team getting the player, in most cases.

I really don't like what byrd pulled this season but I hope we don't let him go for less than a first rounder. This team can't afford to keep tossing pro bowlers to other teams for 5th round picks.

The only player that applies to is Lynch, who wasn't playing well and had 2 strikes against him. And when his DUI case goes to court in December, he'll probably miss half the season in 2014.

The only player that applies to is Lynch, who wasn't playing well and had 2 strikes against him. And when his DUI case goes to court in December, he'll probably miss half the season in 2014.

I guess your right all the other pro bowlers leave during free agency. I still hope they get a 1st for him, otherwise make him play football.

I understand the desire to have a talented Safety, i.e. Byrd, play for the BILLS...but if the guy doesn't want to be here, why would the BILLS - and us fans - want to keep me here?? If the BILLS can get a 2nd or 3rd for him, then let him leave....malcontents on the team have no place in the locker-room.....yes, I know the Antoine Winfield, Donte Whitner arguments about how they're playing or have played so well in other places, but at the same time, we're seeing a team beginning to come together as a team, and Searcy and Williams have played nicely....not perfectly, but nicely...and when Gilmore and Brooks comeback and McKelvin is fully healed, I don't know that Byrd's demands will be met....he acted like a fool and now, he should be treated as one...trade him in season to another team and if that doesn't happen, Franchise Tag his butt again, and move him in the Off-Season before the 2014 Draft

Edited by BigBuff423

McGahee was a pro bowler for the Ravens the first year they dealt him there. But of course the problem goes deeper than that with all the All Pro's lost in free agency starting all the way back to Ted Washington, Winfield, Clements, Fletcher etc... There have been A LOT. But as far as ALL PRO players.....the real cream of the crop.......Lynch, Peters and Byrd are the only three the Bills have developed in the past 13 years. If they deal Byrd that will be a perfect 3 for 3 in the fail department. Denying the truth is pointless. The team simply needs to keep it's talent.

No team can sign Byrd to an extension until after this season.

Yep, so Byrd has next to no trade value right now. The bills should keep him, then apply the franchise tag on him again. That would give them a couple of months to trade him during the off season. They can't trade another Pro Bowler away for a late round pick like they did with Lynch. I realize that the Lynch situation was a little different, but the bills can't be bullied around by a player or agent. They need to be stubborn and show players that they can't force their way off of the team when they have a valid contract.

Need to re-read what I wrote. I said a trade for Nassib would be disappointing. And seriously, if you think it's wise management to not get a veteran backup after Kolb went down, I don't know what to say.

And who exactly was available? What "veteran" was out there so bad he couldn't make a roster yet would be such a huge improvement over Tuel or Lewis?I have heard a lot of criticism about not signing a "veteran" after Kolb was injured but I haven't heard anyone come up with the name of an actual veteran they think the Bills screwed up by not signing. Who is this mythical "Veteran QB"? Leinert? Jimmy Clausen? Losman? Trent? Carr? Leftwich? The inconvenient truth here is that any QB worth a roster spot in the NFL already has one.

I guess if the Bills can get a 4th for Byrd, they should just do it and be done with it. The season appears to be circling the drain anyhow.

A pro bowler in his prime for a 4th round pick? Masterful. Brilliant. Pure genius.

The best offered was a 4th after the extension deadline passed so I highly doubt his pre draft worth was a 1st or 2nd.

This is completely made up, for the record.

Teams will be able to franchise Byrd after this season, though. And I think there's an understanding in some cities that he'd be willing to sign on to play for a winning team. So if we trade him to a contender, they'd most likely be pretty confident about keeping him long-term. I'd take a 3rd for Byrd and be done with it.

If Byrd is worth what he thinks he is, then anything short of a 1st round pick would be highway robbery. They are not going to get that now so it would be foolish to trade him. He is not going anywhere right now. Perhaps after they franchise him again next year.

I guess your right all the other pro bowlers leave during free agency. I still hope they get a 1st for him, otherwise make him play football.

That's funny. "All the other Pro Bowlers."

GO BILLS!!!

Brandon noted that the team's brand had been tarnished back in January, but I wonder if he realizes one of the reasons is because they play these games with their top talent. One hallmark of this organization has been an inability to anticipate how their decisions will impact other areas, which is what will happen if they trade Byrd.

Then again, I doubt Brandon cares if he hurts the team's reputation so long as he can save the owner cash. Which means the brand remains tarnished in the league circles where credibility isn't based on your marketing plan.

Perhaps you are mis framing the argument. The disagreement IMO is over whether or not Byrd IS top Tier talent.

Frankly I think Parker would have presented a trade to the Bills by now worth taking if Byrd was the superstar he's been made out to be.

Reason I say Parker is he'd have to secure the long term deal for the trade to make sense on Byrds side and I can't see that discussion happening without some agreement in principle on trade value.

My suspicion is that nothing has changed at OBD re: desire to move Byrd. I think they all realize he has the least value return at this point. I think they will play him and thats that... To be re-visited in the off-season. What is construed as "news" sometimes is the furthest thing from it.

Perhaps you are mis framing the argument. The disagreement IMO is over whether or not Byrd IS top Tier talent.

Frankly I think Parker would have presented a trade to the Bills by now worth taking if Byrd was the superstar he's been made out to be.

Reason I say Parker is he'd have to secure the long term deal for the trade to make sense on Byrds side and I can't see that discussion happening without some agreement in principle on trade value.

Anyone who thinks Parker wasn't burning up the phone lines and crashing cell towers making calls trying to find a team to make a deal with, is fooling themselves. Byrd, while highly respected, IS NOT thought of as the type of transcendent player he needs to be to get the coin he is looking for. He's a higher end talent to be sure, but he needs to be realistic.

GO BILLS!!!

I guess your right all the other pro bowlers leave during free agency.

first rounder for Peters if you have forgotten. And we picked Wood with that pick. Overall, I'd say we for the better deal so far. We also took Shawn Nelson who isn't with the team now but did produce and show a little promise while he was here. I can't find out who we took with the conditional pick but it was either Moats or Batten in 2010. Overall, I'm thinking we made out. Edited by mrags

I highly doubt that Byrd would fetch a first round pick. If any team was crazy enough to offer that, the Bills would be nuts not to take it.

I would bet that his actual perceived value by most of the league is less than pro-bowl stature. He simply is not a difference maker and hasn’t been since his rookie year which I admit was stellar. Since then he has been good not great.

The only people out there who think Byrd would have made the pro-bowl this year even if he had played the whole season are his agent and his mom and maybe a few Bills fans who have some kind of man crush on the guy.

I might be wrong, I often am, but my impression is that he wants to be “the highest paid safety” in the NFL. Who in this league honestly thinks that guy is worth anywhere close to that?

I might be wrong, I often am, but my impression is that he wants to be “the highest paid safety” in the NFL. Who in this league honestly thinks that guy is worth anywhere close to that?

i think he's worth that much. Doesn't mean I want us to pay that much for him tho.

I highly doubt that Byrd would fetch a first round pick. If any team was crazy enough to offer that, the Bills would be nuts not to take it.

I would bet that his actual perceived value by most of the league is less than pro-bowl stature. He simply is not a difference maker and hasn’t been since his rookie year which I admit was stellar. Since then he has been good not great.

The only people out there who think Byrd would have made the pro-bowl this year even if he had played the whole season are his agent and his mom and maybe a few Bills fans who have some kind of man crush on the guy.

Sorry, but that is just wrong. Byrd is a consensus top three safety in this league and he is definitely a difference-maker. And the Bills must think so too, or they would not have franchised him. It's debatable what his trade value is, due to health issues and uncertain contract situation, but it's not out of the question that the Bills could get a no. 1 pick for him. I would guess there are multiple teams that would surrender a second-rounder for him. They key is whether teams believe they will be able to reach a long-term deal with Byrd after the season is over.

Edited by mannc

I think a second in the next draft and a second in 2015 would be something both sides could live with. This would give the Bills the opportunity to build the team even more. When you consider the Bills have gotten their starting LT, MLB, and a very good WR in the past 2 drafts in the second round I would do it in a heartbeat. Not to mention you save that money you would spend on Byrd and can use it for your own guys or sign some FA next offseason. Pettine's D has looked solid with out 4 starting defensive backs to date. Once Gilmore, McKelvin, and Brooks are back and Williams can go back to safety I want to see how the D looks. In a perfect world Byrd could be resigned, but I say move on and see what you can get. Build through the draft and become very good for a long time. Now just find a team that needs a safety and pull the trigger! Broncos would be a good fit.

I think a second in the next draft and a second in 2015 would be something both sides could live with. This would give the Bills the opportunity to build the team even more. When you consider the Bills have gotten their starting LT, MLB, and a very good WR in the past 2 drafts in the second round I would do it in a heartbeat. Not to mention you save that money you would spend on Byrd and can use it for your own guys or sign some FA next offseason. Pettine's D has looked solid with out 4 starting defensive backs to date. Once Gilmore, McKelvin, and Brooks are back and Williams can go back to safety I want to see how the D looks. In a perfect world Byrd could be resigned, but I say move on and see what you can get. Build through the draft and become very good for a long time. Now just find a team that needs a safety and pull the trigger! Broncos would be a good fit.

How would you feel if the Bills traded two second round picks for a player we can't even extend? No one is making that deal.

Would you give up two second-round picks for, say, Brian Orakpo, a Pro Bowl player from Byrd's draft class, with the caveat that he couldn't be extended? I would certainly not.

Edited by ny33