Bills open to trading Byrd

Jdragon2

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct, and he will probably do the same to the Bills with Carrington next.

Not really. Carrington would be lucky if Buffalo wants him back. He just had a season-ending injury and was a rotational player at best. Not looking at anything more than a one-year deal.

They're not going to trade him for a quarterback. They're going to deal him for picks... Seriously, just think. A QB would make zero sense.

Agreed, unless they can get a QB + picks. It would be good to get a decent vet backup as a #2 and move Tuel to #3 or PS.

Don't see any change really, of course they are OPEN to dealing him, like if someone is offering a first round pick or more, of course they are dealing him...

Schefter was just trying to fill his tweet quota for the day. Bills have been open to trading Byrd all along as much as Byrd has been open to a trade. They aren't going to make a bad move though just to get rid of him. Maybe Nix would have, Whaley strikes me as smarter at FO stuff like that.

Not really. Carrington would be lucky if Buffalo wants him back. He just had a season-ending injury and was a rotational player at best. Not looking at anything more than a one-year deal.

Yep, at league minimum. I wonder how much money Carrington lost by not taking the Bills' offer?

Yep, at league minimum. I wonder how much money Carrington lost by not taking the Bills' offer?

As an aside - I feel like posters use that phrase a lot more than "It's amazing how much more he made by passing on the offer..." --- levitre as an example of the flipside. Took a risk and made a fortune. On a broad scale I wonder if guys tend to come out ahead, or are making bad decisions thinking they will be the exception

Edited by NoSaint

As an aside - I feel like posters use that phrase a lot more than "It's amazing how much more he made by passing on the offer..." --- levitre as an example of the flipside. Took a risk and made a fortune. On a broad scale I wonder if guys tend to come out ahead, or are making bad decisions thinking they will be the exception

It seems like players usually do better waiting.

That would be interesting to know, but to me it wouldn't tell the whole story. Even if the players come out 25% ahead in the aggregate, is 25% +/- worth the risk of losing everything? A bird in the hand.

That would be interesting to know, but to me it wouldn't tell the whole story. Even if the players come out 25% ahead in the aggregate, is 25% +/- worth the risk of losing everything? A bird in the hand.

I guess that would depend on the level of player - a depth guy may not get another shot but instant career enders are pretty rare for established players.

Then of course the cost of the risk, and even playing another year under a lower salary vs the early raise

It would be hard even if you got accurate info on offers, guessing on values of what was lost etc... I guess just aimless wonder on a slow Sunday of football

Pay him! I don't want some late 2nd or 3rd round pick. Pay the man. He honored his rookie contract. Now the Bills are being tightwads when it comes to retaining talent. He's not the best safety in the league but I don't care. I don't want an extra draft pick so we can bring in the next Terrell Troup.

Do you see what our current group of crappy safeties are doing in this defense? No reason to spend a shitload of money when you can get similar success out of a cheaper player.

I'm not saying we have anything remotely close to Byrd talentwise, but the money is the important factor. And the attitude.

We can't just let players walk all over us constantly.

Agreed, unless they can get a QB + picks. It would be good to get a decent vet backup as a #2 and move Tuel to #3 or PS.

I would take a QB if we were just taking a team's backup to make the money work. Otherwise I don't want anything but picks. Unless a team is dumb enough to offer up young roster players.

I don't think they would be stupid enough to trade Byrd. They have to have learned from their past mistakes.

The little you can gain in a trade is not even remotely worth turning Cordy Glenn, Gilmore, Alonso and Dareus into Parker clients.

Give Parker more ammunition to take into the Bills lockerroom and you will find these guys sitting out with 2 years left on their contract knowing that Parker is above the collective bargaining agreement when dealing with the feeble willed Bills front office........ and can get you your dream contract and get it a year earlier.

Just the distraction of having players putting that cart that far before the horse is bad news. If people thought the Parker situation was as bad as it can get, they haven't seen anything yet. Wait until Parker has 3 guys at once pulling this with the Bills.

Brandon noted that the team's brand had been tarnished back in January, but I wonder if he realizes one of the reasons is because they play these games with their top talent. One hallmark of this organization has been an inability to anticipate how their decisions will impact other areas, which is what will happen if they trade Byrd.

Then again, I doubt Brandon cares if he hurts the team's reputation so long as he can save the owner cash. Which means the brand remains tarnished in the league circles where credibility isn't based on your marketing plan.

With PF lucky to get a 3rd for him

oh please.

if anything we will be lucky to get a 3rd for him because he is a liar.

that is a NOTHING injury... as anyone with knowledge of it knows. there is ZERO chance he reported with such a severe case of plantar fascitis that he needed 6 weeks of recovery. i know this is true because he would have had to be training through agony all summer all summer for it to get that bad. you have to abuse the crap out of yourself to get a 6-week case of PF during the off-season. he is embarrassing himself further every day he clings to that stupid story, and I hope none of you are buying it.

Both side dealt with this unprofessionally. I see the bottom line as Byrd is hurt, but could have been playing. His attitude sucks. I found it convenient that he was ready to come back for the Bills first and only national game, and love that the coach benched him. This is a young team and Byrd won't be here next year; so if we can get a 2nd or 3rd round for him I'd say why not; unless you want to franchise him again as the ultimate FU.

We'll be lucky to get a 4th considering his contract situation. If he can negotiate a long-term deal with his suitor, maybe a 3rd. I think anything better than that is a pipe dream since our counter party knows we're over a barrel. Personally, I'd be happy with a 3rd about now (barely, and not as happy as if they'd paid him and locked him up long-term instead of sitting on tens of millions in cap space).....

oh please.

if anything we will be lucky to get a 3rd for him because he is a liar.

that is a NOTHING injury... as anyone with knowledge of it knows. there is ZERO chance he reported with such a severe case of plantar fascitis that he needed 6 weeks of recovery. i know this is true because he would have had to be training through agony all summer all summer for it to get that bad. you have to abuse the crap out of yourself to get a 6-week case of PF during the off-season. he is embarrassing himself further every day he clings to that stupid story, and I hope none of you are buying it.

I agree, anyone who believes that PF had anything to do with him sitting those games out is very naiive. Eugene Parker got an unexpected punch in the mouth and he and Byrd reacted with a desperate change of plans. It is a scorched earth approach. They are compromising their reputations and taking a risk that teams won't hold it against Byrd in free agency. And they might be right about that because the Bills are considered a dysfunctional organization. The Bills simply need to stand firm with Parker and Byrd.

I wouldn't trade him unless it was a great deal for us, like a 1st rounder or two higher round picks minimum. I dont care if we get nothing this offseason for him. (but I would tag him again, so thats moot too).

All the Lynch trade got us was freaking Chris Hairston. Whoopy-freakin-do. Take a hard stance and maybe even get him resigned if not franchise him again and trade him next offseason, again for some good picks.

Both side dealt with this unprofessionally. I see the bottom line as Byrd is hurt, but could have been playing. His attitude sucks. I found it convenient that he was ready to come back for the Bills first and only national game, and love that the coach benched him. This is a young team and Byrd won't be here next year; so if we can get a 2nd or 3rd round for him I'd say why not; unless you want to franchise him again as the ultimate FU.

We will probably franchise him again next year.